UConn NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/18/19-12/20/19 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn NLI Early Signing Day Thread/Info for 12/18/19-12/20/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So we got the New Jersey defensive player of the year, how freaking awesome is that! Tremendous day for the football program. I had no idea that the AAC was holding us back this much. Good riddance.

Big dude...at 6'7" 240 in high school.

I find eastern recruiting difficult to understand.

How does the defensive player of the year in a big state like New Jersey only get two FBS offers (UMass & UConn)?

If the kid was in Ohio, like Cincinnati's three star DE recruit Wodfly...he'd have P5 offers...

Reaction Score
The Long Snapper has been actively trying to recruit his teammates who are still undecided at IMG (at least his Twitter shows him tweeting at a recent FSU decommit, telling him to rise up). I'd doubt it bears fruit, but it's nice to see even the PWO types are fully invested.

One nice thing is with the 10 early enrollees.. 5 of them can be counted against last year's 25 recruit limit (early enrollees can count against either the prior or current year limits), which in theory, if we have the scholarship room, means we can bring in 10 more players prior to the February signing day.

Reaction Score

How does the defensive player of the year in a big state like New Jersey only get two FBS offers (UMass & UConn)?

If the kid was in Ohio, like Cincinnati's three star DE recruit Wodfly...he'd have P5 offers...

I keep saying this ... and I get pushback

Some kids make a decision - in this case Collin’s father was a honored alum of UConn Football - and they shut off the spigot. And. McCarthy could have gotten 17 offers. That’s simple logic.

when a kid gets One Offer & commits to Temple (you can look this up) ... they get 3 Stars. UCONN there’s skepticism today.

This ain’t MAI Appraisal certification. The Star system & offers ...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The Long Snapper has been actively trying to recruit his teammates who are still undecided at IMG (at least his Twitter shows him tweeting at a recent FSU decommit, telling him to rise up). I'd doubt it bears fruit, but it's nice to see even the PWO types are fully invested.

One nice thing is with the 10 early enrollees.. 5 of them can be counted against last year's 25 recruit limit (early enrollees can count against either the prior or current year limits), which in theory, if we have the scholarship room, means we can bring in 10 more players prior to the February signing day.
We took the full 25 last year and the year before, so don’t think there is a way with the Jan timing to do more than the 25 in 2020. Edsall told the media yesterday he is looking for just five more kids after signing 20 yesterday. Based on current turnover, after we fill five more slots we’ll be at 82 scholarships. Looks like it won’t be until the 2021 season that we get back to the full 85 thanks to these rules (rules that might change this year).

Reaction Score

Technically he was voted the DPOY in NJ by NJ.com football staff. Still his stats are pretty ridiculous. Not sure what kind of competition he played against.

Reaction Score
Putterman: Randy Edsall welcomes 20 UConn football recruits, praises group’s ‘personality'

>> Ten of UConn’s signees will enroll early and participate in spring practice beginning Feb. 3, Edsall said. Those players are junior college offensive linemen Sidney Walker and Alexander Wyant, fellow O-lineman Zachary Early, defensive lineman Marques Alexander, running back Nate Carter, defensive back Alfred Chea, tight end Brendan Heatherman, defensive lineman Carter Hooper, receiver Keelan Marion and quarterback Jonathan Sénécal.

The other 10 commits — Bush, running back Brian Brewton, O-linemen Robby Rochester and Chris Fortin, linebacker Desmond Fogle, defensive linemen Quay Evans, Nick Harris and Collin McCarthy, tight end Brandon Niemenski and defensive back Reyan Blake — will enroll in June.<<

Alternate link

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome of RE2's recruitment for 2020. He has gone back to his basics - size with athleticism and SPEED. It may not be quantity but I do like the quality. I think a lot of these young men will be able to contribute immediately.

Reaction Score
I keep saying this ... and I get pushback

Some kids make a decision - in this case Collin’s father was a honored alum of UConn Football - and they shut off the spigot. And. McCarthy could have gotten 17 offers. That’s simple logic.

when a kid gets One Offer & commits to Temple (you can look this up) ... they get 3 Stars. UCONN there’s skepticism today.

This ain’t MAI Appraisal certification. The Star system & offers ...

Cincinnati's 3 star DE Justin Wodtly (Cleveland) took just one visit...to Cincinnati.

But had offers from Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers, Iowa State, Indiana, BC, KY, Cuse...

I still think that being in Ohio gave him more "looks".

Reaction Score
Tough competition for the better athletes in Connecticut.

The top kids in Connecticut...(according to 247)...committed to:

#1....ND
#2....Miami
#3....Penn St.
#4....Florida
#5....open
#6....UCLA
#7....Cal
#8....Minnesota
#9....Maryland
#10..Old Miss

Reaction Score

#1....ND
#2....Miami
#3....Penn St.
#4....Florida
#5....open
#6....UCLA
#7....Cal
#8....Minnesota
#9....Maryland
#10..Old Miss

... and only two are from CT public schools (#1 & #8). Only 3 are CT natives (#1,#2,#8) . #9 is an error - not a CT Prep School nor is the student from CT.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati's 3 star DE Justin Wodtly (Cleveland) took just one visit...to Cincinnati.

But had offers from Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue, Rutgers, Iowa State, Indiana, BC, KY, Cuse...

I still think that being in Ohio gave him more "looks".

than New Jersey? Maybe. But not by much in my view. If you want 20 offers in NJ ... they have the casting events & competition through the off season. His father WAS fully aware of what college football is about.

I’d argue that many parts of the northeast may never get attention.

Reaction Score
... and only two are from CT public schools (#1 & #8). Only 3 are CT natives (#1,#2,#8) . #9 is an error - not a CT Prep School nor is the student from CT.

Yep...#9 from Berlin...Berlin NY that is...Being down south, I am unsure of significance between being prep or public...

Not much distinction in Florida...except for IMG Academy and maybe the Catholic St. Thomas Aquinas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just did a quick survey of FCS (Delaware & URI & UNH & Stony Brook & Albany & Maine & Villanova & Towson) ... then FBS (BC & Syracuse & Buffalo & UMass & Maryland & Penn State).

There simply are not many Connecticut kids ... nor Massachusetts kids signing.

Reaction Score
Tre Williams going to Clemson, is a Windsor, CT kid prepping in DC.

Reaction Score
There is some cherry picking going on in Connecticut.

Clemson, Michigan, Syracuse, Rutgers, Arizona, all picked up 2019 recruits from the state.

There are some that think that Phommachanh out of Connecticut will be Dabo's next great QB when Lawrence goes pro....the kid had a career HS QB rating of 162.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being down south, I am unsure of significance between being prep or public...

Not much distinction in Florida...except for IMG Academy and maybe the Catholic St. Thomas More.

Similar... some programs “park” kids there for a development year.

There is a clear distinction between schools that fall under the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference umbrella and prep schools that board and offer post graduate years.

Reaction Score
I see...in Florida, you play in your division (based on school size), whether prep or public....under auspices of Florida High School Athletic Association.

St. Thomas Aquinas plays in class 7a....as an example...in same division as Tallahassee's public high schools.

IMG Bradenton is an outlier...they play freelance.

Reaction Score
Did Edsal have a falling out with CT coaches a long time ago? I remember reading that some CT coaches were happy with the Pasqualoni hire because of his previous relationships in CT.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I see...in Florida, you play in your division (based on school size), whether prep or public....under auspices of Florida High School Athletic Association.

St. Thomas Aquinas plays in class 7a....as an example...in same division as Tallahassee's public high schools.

IMG Bradenton is an outlier...they play freelance.

These private schools in CT aren't like the Christian schools (or even the Country Days and "Prep" schools) down south. They dont play in the CIAC (Catholic schools like Xavier and Northwest Catholic do) and they often have 5th year HS players doing a "post graduate" year playing. Many of these recruits you see in the list of top CT recruits are likely 5th year players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

#1....ND
#2....Miami
#3....Penn St.
#4....Florida
#5....open
#6....UCLA
#7....Cal
#8....Minnesota
#9....Maryland
#10..Old Miss

Even in Massachusetts, except that BC got two. Christian Fauria's kid goes to my daughter's HS and committed to Colorado. I can't blame them really. It means so much more in other places. UMass did land several in state 3 stars.

Reaction Score
Technically he was voted the DPOY in NJ by NJ.com football staff. Still his stats are pretty ridiculous. Not sure what kind of competition he played against.

Not sure what criteria the NJ.com POY awards has, but some former CT Gatorade POY winners didn't receive any offers to play college ball.

Reaction Score
Not sure what criteria the NJ.com POY awards has, but some former CT Gatorade POY winners didn't receive any offers to play college ball.
Thats basically my point exactly. Take it all with a grain of salt. But McCarthy looks like a big time player with potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom