Uconn Next?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn Next??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KU makes no sense for the ACC. The ACC wants to lockup the entire eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida. That's alot of TV sets. Plus it will essentially eliminate the B10 network from the East Coasts. The PAC16 has the pacific coast, ACC will have the East Coast, SEC the gulf coast.

Reaction Score
You're not wrong. It sounds like UConn is close to begging. Not a good position to be in especially with that Delta Bravo Swofford. And the bitter beagles will lobby heavily against us.

It sounds like UConn is begging because the media writes hysterical articles that draw clicks, or because you are sitting in Herbst's office right now and you know?

Reaction Score
I'm actually a little less comfortable after reading that ESPN blurb on UConn lobbying. If we are "lobbying" the ACC, as the article states, it tells me this is not as much of a slam dunk as we may think. Tell me I'm wrong, pleeaaassse.

Pitt and Cuse applied to the ACC shortly before being accepted, I could be wrong, but IMO this isn't much different.

Reaction Score
UCONN makes the most sense to be added to the ACC. A large wealthy institution with good football and great basketball, we keep alot of good regional games and the conference winner has a legitimate shot at a NC in football. If UCONN comes theres not way that mSG will not take on the new ACC tournament with Cuse, Pitt, UCONN, Duke, and UNC in the field.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Herbst is being very proactive. All indications are she is aggressive when she sets her mind on a goal and this is one big one.

She is also a Duke graduate and had work in the Georgia system. She has the connections to make the move to the ACC happen.

I realize lots of posters are commenting on the fact Herbst went to Dook being a positive, but I'd like somebody to explain why that matters?

Is Miami going to be more interested in adding UConn because Herbst went to Dook? Pitt? Clemson?

This isn't an alum using their connections to land a job for somebody, there are hundreds of millions of dollars in play over the course of their tv contracts. Does anyone really think that the ACC presidents are looking at the alma maters of the other schools that could potentially be added and including that in the decision process?

It comes down to dollars and market share. Either Uconn can improve it for the ACC (we can) and we'll get an invite (we will), or we can't and won't. The degree(s) sitting on the wall in Herbst's office has no impact on UConn's future.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 breaks up, Kansas is the ACC #15 or 16. Maybe the ACC has already invited them.
I doubt this, just something about Kansas and the Atlantic Coast geographically doesn't do it for me...

Reaction Score
Kansas can't bring KState. If they don't bring KState, every game every year will be GTech. That's a hell of a lot of travel for EVERY game.

Reaction Score
I doubt this, just something about Kansas and the Atlantic Coast geographically doesn't do it for me...
Wonder what Lew Perkins thinks? Remember he was the AD at Maryland.

Reaction Score
Herbst also was the head of the university system of georgia, one of the schools part of that is GT, so she is connected down there.

Reaction Score
Of course UConn has to ask, anything else would be consiered tampering. TAM had to ask the SEC for admittance, they went so far as to ask out of the B12 for appearances sake. Negotiating is not begging, actively pursuing is not begging, its being proactive. This is how its done.

Reaction Score
Herbst also was the head of the university system of georgia, one of the schools part of that is GT, so she is connected down there.
How does this make UConn more valuable to Miami, Clemson, FSU, Wake Forest, Pitt, Cuse, etc, etc, etc?

Reaction Score

GT is not part of the University System of Georgia - Herbst was a public policy professor at Georgia Tech. Her research specialized in public opinion, mass media, civility in politics and policymaking. I'm thinking this mess is right up her alley!

Reaction Score
Yes, Georgia Tech is indeed a part of the University System of Georgia. It is not a private university, it is public and is therefore part of the USG as are all public universities in Georgia.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put too much stock into the way ESPN worded their article. Remember how far journalism has fallen in the past 10-15 years. UConn is in a decent position to end up in the ACC.

Reaction Score
How does this make UConn more valuable to Miami, Clemson, FSU, Wake Forest, Pitt, Cuse, etc, etc, etc?
It's not about viability so much as contacting people whom you already know and have a relationship with, as opposed to making cold calls. And medic, GT is part of the university system of GA.

Reaction Score
Yes, Georgia Tech is indeed a part of the University System of Georgia. It is not a private university, it is public and is therefore part of the USG as are all public universities in Georgia.
My bad - scrolled right over them (Georgia Institute of Technology)- thanks!

Reaction Score
It's not about viability so much as contacting people whom you already know and have a relationship with, as opposed to making cold calls.

Cold calls? She's not selling Kirby vacuums.

Whether or not she already has the right phone numbers won't have any impact on whether or not we get invited. None. It's about money and markets, not social networking.

Reaction Score
UConn was mentioned by an ACC source in the USA today article that confirmed the exit/entrance of Syracuse and Pitt so the ESPN article about Herbst aggressively pursuing ACC membership shouldn't quit be construed as UConn asking in. My guess is that some talks had already taken place but that UConn wasn't aware that Syracuse and Pitt were planning on jumping quite so soon.

I think the hold up right now is that the ACC may realize that once it adds 15 and 16 they are done for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure that they think UConn doesn't belong in one of those slots (especially now that Texas is off the table), but with ND out there still maybe they are being cautious. Having only 15 doesn't make sense, so they need two programs that they are very comfortable with going forward.

Reaction Score
i'm really curious to know the chain of events for PITT and SU to team-up and apply for the ACC. I'm thinking BCU whispered something to Daryl Gross and he contacted PITT. I found PITT to be a strange choice for the ACC (as did the Louisville AD) - would have thought UConn and RU were better options, thus it leads me to believe that perhaps BCU was helping set the agenda. Not a good sign for us. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted already, but clearly the hoops franchise/location matters a ton in this decision, which others can't bring. from Stamford Advocate:
"Several media outlets even reported Sunday that the ACC would consider moving its annual conference basketball tournament to Madison Square Garden, where the Big East tournament has been a staple for decades."

Reaction Score
"Several media outlets even reported Sunday that the ACC would consider moving its annual conference basketball tournament to Madison Square Garden, where the Big East tournament has been a staple for decades."
ACC to Marinatto: "You got a plan for that?"

Marinatto must feel like a jack ass for not punching Swofford in the face every time he saw him out somewhere.

Reaction Score
Everything I've read (which sadly is A LOT - I was an absentee husband and father yesterday) says ACC really wanted to be in the state of PA, so that is their reasoning for Pitt. I do believe it is more than that, and it was a good option while at the same time setting up the next potential domino (one last run at ND with either UConn or RU), and then if ND passes grabbing UConn and RU to complete your true east coast conference. Time will tell, but I may get fired this week if UConn doesn't land a conference invite soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom