UCONN.."New York's college team..." | The Boneyard

UCONN.."New York's college team..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not sure why the writer omitted Gordon as winning a title, and his comment about Facey and Samuel not being the type of prospects UConn usually goes after because of their ranking isn't really true, Facey and Samuel are the type of prospects Calhoun signs every year.

H

Husk-E

It's kinda cool that apparently he's putting us over St Johns who's actually located in NY. It makes sense that we get the recruits though, considering we're not really that far away and we've won more NC's than any NY team.

Reaction Score
It's kinda cool that apparently he's putting us over St Johns who's actually located in NY. It makes sense that we get the recruits though, considering we're not really that far away and we've won more NC's than any NY team.

Speaking of players in NY, you got some work to do before the rain starts.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like how he basically shut down Cuse's claims to be the NY team at the end!
I thought maybe he was referring to the fact that UCONN has often landed recruits well in the top 100, even top 50, from New York, and he was pointing out that currently, neither are consensus top 100 kids.

Like others on here, I enjoyed his dig at Syracuse - but I thought SJU considered themselves New York's team...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I thought maybe he was referring to the fact that UCONN has often landed recruits well in the top 100, even top 50, from New York, and he was pointing out that currently, neither are consensus top 100 kids.

Like others on here, I enjoyed his dig at Syracuse - but I thought SJU considered themselves New York's team...

The Cuse has been using "NY's college team" in their marketing the last few years including t- shirts and at yankee Stadium. SJU fans aren't happy.

Meanwhile, Cuse fans on their site are laughing about this article because it mentions two "top 100" recruits. They don't even bother to check that UConn has had 5 major players from NYC play in three different F4's since 2004 with 4 of them still in the NBA now.

Reaction Score
The Cuse has been using "NY's college team" in their marketing the last few years including t- shirts and at yankee Stadium. SJU fans aren't happy.

Meanwhile, Cuse fans on their site are laughing about this article because it mentions two "top 100" recruits. They don't even bother to check that UConn has had 5 major players from NYC play in three different F4's since 2004 with 4 of them still in the NBA now.

What are Cuse's numbers on players from NYC?

caw

Reaction Score

To be partially fair, Cuse might get the top NYC player (as currently ranked) in Lawrence, of course that isn't in stone.

The most of that thread is absurd.

caw

Reaction Score
What are Cuse's numbers on players from NYC?

Since 2007 here are the New York State kids:

Mookie Jones - Peekskill, NY
James Southerland - Queens, NY
DeJaun Coleman - Dewitt, NY
Brandon Triche - Dewitt, NY
Paul Harris - Niagara Falls, NY
Johnny Flynn - Niagara Falls, NY

Only Southerland was a NYC kid though. Prior to that, I'm not sure.

UConn since 2007 has had:

Kentan Facey - Glen Head, NY
Terrence Samuel - Brooklyn, NY
Omar Calhoun - Brooklyn, NY
Kemba Walker - Bronx, NY

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Since 2007 here are the New York State kids:

Mookie Jones - Peekskill, NY
James Southerland - Queens, NY
DeJaun Coleman - Dewitt, NY
Brandon Triche - Dewitt, NY
Johnny Flynn - Niagara Falls, NY

Only Southerland was a NYC kid though. Prior to that, I'm not sure.

UConn since 2007 has had:

Kentan Facey - Glen Head, NY
Terrence Samuel - Brooklyn, NY
Omar Calhoun - Brooklyn, NY
Kemba Walker - Bronx, NY

go back even farther and i bet its the same story.

cuse is upstate ny's 3rd favorite private school and upsate ny's #1 athletic school. neither of those mean didlysquat to nyc.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the whole "New York's College Team" thing is more about the reach of the Syracuse fan base throughout NY than about them having a stranglehold on NYC recruiting.

caw

Reaction Score
On UConn 2001-2007:
AJ Price - Amnityville, NY
Curtis Kelley - Bronx, NY
Rob Garrison - Niagara Falls, NY
Hilton Armstrong - Peekskill, NY
Charlie Villanueva - Queens, NY
Ben Gordon - Mount Vernon, NY
Taliek Brown - Corona Park, NY

On Cuse, 2001-2007:
Craig Forth - East Greenbush, NY
Josh Wright - Utica, NY
Andy Rautins - Dewitt, NY
Louie McCroskey - Bronx, NY
Matt Gorman - Watertown, NY

I may have missed someone on Cuse (they have a ton of scrubs who never play and I can't tell from ESPN which are walk-ons).

EDIT: note these players are not necessarily recruits from 01-07, but rather on the team roster during that time period.

EDIT (#2) two NYC kids in the past 12 years or so is a bit surprising. I mentioned they may have a shot at Lawrence but he would be the first star NYC to go to Cuse in over a decade.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the whole "New York's College Team" thing is more about the reach of the Syracuse fan base throughout NY than about them having a stranglehold on NYC recruiting.
the minute they went to the acc and claimed that the acc now has the ny market and put that sign up in yankee stadium to prove it, it was war! and guess what, the facts prove it all. we kill them recruiting wise in bball and its a toss up in fball right now. in tv viewers rutgers has the most and then uconn. cuse is in 3rd among the 3 of us. in bball cuse and ruty are not on our level. the only time cuse gets good nyc ratings on our level is when they have a special year. they are a joke.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Going back to the post on NYC kids since 2007, Niagara Falls is about as far as you can get from NYC and still be in the state. isn't it almost in Canada? on the western-most border of New York? And Dewitt is a good 4-5 hour drive to NYC. Pretty bush league if they are touting those kids as "NYC" kids... In fact, UCONN Is closer to NYC than Dewitt is...

caw

Reaction Score
Going back to the post on NYC kids since 2007, Niagara Falls is about as far as you can get from NYC and still be in the state. isn't it almost in Canada? on the western-most border of New York? And Dewitt is a good 4-5 hour drive to NYC. Pretty bush league if they are touting those kids as "NYC" kids... In fact, UCONN Is closer to NYC than Dewitt is...

I was clear to say "NY State kids" and bold the kids from anywhere that could be confused with NYC (such as LI). :p

It's pretty clear Syracuse dominates recruiting kids from upstate NY, but is pretty pathetic at getting anyone from the city.

I'm sure that's because all the kids from NYC suck big time (sarcasm) and aren't up to Cuse's standard (more sarcasm).

Reaction Score
not sure why the writer omitted Gordon as winning a title, and his comment about Facey and Samuel not being the type of prospects UConn usually goes after because of their ranking isn't really true, Facey and Samuel are the type of prospects Calhoun signs every year.
I got a kick out of a few things from the article, particularly this little ditty:

There are those who doubt Samuel can make an impact in the Big East, but I’m not one of them. His shot isn’t as big of a weakness as some say...

All you have to do is point to Taliek Brown and even Ricky Moore (I realize he's not from NYC), two guards that weren't good jump shooters but had legit high major level impact. I tend to like lead guards who can keep Ds honest. Teams were often able to exploit TB's weakness by playing off him and primarily for the drive, but he brought other things to the table that helped the team win, not to mention win an NC, which was already pointed out.

Note that Kemba came to UConn with a suspect J, though IMO it was pretty good before he got here. He struggled with consistency early on, but I've pointed out many a times that it's hard for most shooters to knock down 3s consistently when you're only allowed to take a few at most in any given game. I'm not implying Kemba didn't work is @ss off on his J, but having the green light to shoot them whenever he felt it was there for the taking made a world of difference. He always had solid form. It was just a matter of working at it and taking more of them. He was obviously best when attacking the basket, but he was able to set up his drive by simply showcasing the threat of knocking down the open or lightly contested J.

As far as TB and Ricky were concerned, they both had flaws in their form, TB being the worst of the two. Ricky had a knuckleball similar to Shad, except his didn't go in nearly as often as Shad's daggers did. TB had that chicken wing elbow out form that is simply problematic for most shooters that never learned to square up to the hoop. Since I've never seen Samuel shoot the J, I have no idea if it is equally flawed or it's just a matter of him working at it. You don't need a point who has a deadly 3-ball, but it's a plus to have one who can run the team and has a good enough J to keep Ds honest.

If he's considered the best PG in NYC, I'd assume he's got the tools to develop into a legit solid high major PG. I think we got a good one and finally a Point with good size (6-3). It's all about plus-minus. If he's a good distributor and average scorer, but is a lock down defender, the net contribution can be as good if not better than a better scorer but not as good a defender. UConn has won its NC predominantly with its D. We rarely have one of the top offenses. It's our FG defense that wins us a ton of games. As long as we have a few solid weapons on the floor, I'm good with PG who's attributes are that of Samuel's.

Reaction Score
Syracuse can't be upstate since MSG counts as a virtual home game for them. ;)

Actually....weird fact...there are 6 BE schools closer to MSG than Cuse...

Reaction Score
Let me add, the Adirondacks are an exception. But Syracuse (the city and surrounding areas) sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom