UConn needs a plan | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn needs a plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You really lack the ability to see anything other than your own narrative don't you? Clearly UConn is looking at all forms of alternative income but you just dismiss it as looking for a "sugar daddy".
1st complain they are doing nothing. When they show they are doing something, criticize, what they are doing.

Benedict has not strong armed anyone into returning UConn's 3rd tier rights yet, so....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1st complain they are doing nothing. When they show they are doing something, criticize, what they are doing.

Benedict has not strong armed anyone into returning UConn's 3rd tier rights yet, so....

It's actually fair to say they are doing the best they can given what they have inhereted.

Strong stable of coaches.
Hire some people to fundraise.
Keep building the university academically.
Work behind the scenes on P5 relationships.

See what happens 2021 or so.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
This thread
Dumpster-Fire.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think UConn athletics is in its final years as a national program. I think the school and the league are going to pray for a miracle from ESPN, and when the next contract looks like this one, the Board of Trustees is going to pull the plug, slashing costs until we look like a MAC program. Ollie will take the next NBA job, Geno will retire, and we will be lucky to be UMass by the time it is done.

We should bookmark this post and save under the caption "Legends of Assholery"

Reaction Score
Are you really asking why is it your fault that you are a "Legend of Assholery?"
Legend in his own mind. Some posters are feeding his e-ego.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's actually fair to say they are doing the best they can given what they have inhereted.

Strong stable of coaches.
Hire some people to fundraise.
Keep building the university academically.
Work behind the scenes on P5 relationships.

See what happens 2021 or so.

So you are proposing a $100 million investment in athletics to cover losses to "see what happens 2021 or so"? Does that sound like a smart plan? What happens when the P5 doors are still closed? 2025? 2030? 2050? What will the ESPN contract look like in 2025? $500k a year for the conference? Is that what we are holding out for?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So you are proposing a $100 million investment in athletics to cover losses to "see what happens 2021 or so"? Does that sound like a smart plan? What happens when the P5 doors are still closed? 2025? 2030? 2050? What will the ESPN contract look like in 2025? $500k a year for the conference? Is that what we are holding out for?

There is this thing called the unknown. It is unavoidable. Whatever you may believe, I guarantee that the administration at UConn is well aware of all of this, and has contingency plans or will put contingency plans in place at the appropriate time. You do not know what plans they have. So bitching about the absence of a plan, that you don't even know is absent, is really a giant waste of time.

Only any idiot would think that this moment in time is the time to somehow implement that grand contingency plan. It would be like jumping out of a moving car instead of applying the brakes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

As odious as I find sticking the students with the subsidy - I don't really see a way around it for the next 5 years. It's not like applications are down or they are making noise about it.

I get that you don't think it's smart but it's clearly what they are doing because they keep adding high level people to the athletic department.

I can't answer what they do if 2022 rolls around and they haven't gotten into a bigger league because I don't know what the landscape will look like - but I imagine dropping football would have a lot of support from a lot of people.

Here is the thing - in the long run almost everyone is going to have to figure out how to subsist on less - because as you pointed out the NCAA is going to the same place the music industry went.

Your outrage is cute though because even if your plan worked it would only cut into the deficit by a few million a year - so this 'investment' would be say 80 instead of a 100 - not exactly a big deal over half a decade.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The ability of ESPN to match, in theory should have increased NBC's bid. You missed the obvious - NBC doesn't spend money on anything but the Olympics and the NFL and they admit publicly that they use the NFL as a loss-leader.

Nothing you have proposed generates enough money to change that outcome if you believe it.

Maybe you can squeeze a few million more out - so the subsidy is 25 or 26 instead of 28 or 29.

What difference does that make?

UConn turning into UMass? You are the one floating the plan that would have UConn/Buffalo/Army and UMass in the same football division. What would turn UConn into UMass faster than playing that disgusting division every year in football?

We got it - you want UConn to drop football and join the Big East - you are giving up. I don't know why you don't just come out and say that.
NBC paid a ton for the Premier League for the next 5 years+ the one that just ended.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As odious as I find sticking the students with the subsidy - I don't really see a way around it for the next 5 years. It's not like applications are down or they are making noise about it.

I get that you don't think it's smart but it's clearly what they are doing because they keep adding high level people to the athletic department.

I can't answer what they do if 2022 rolls around and they haven't gotten into a bigger league because I don't know what the landscape will look like - but I imagine dropping football would have a lot of support from a lot of people.

Here is the thing - in the long run almost everyone is going to have to figure out how to subsist on less - because as you pointed out the NCAA is going to the same place the music industry went.

Your outrage is cute though because even if your plan worked it would only cut into the deficit by a few million a year - so this 'investment' would be say 80 instead of a 100 - not exactly a big deal over half a decade.

My outrage is at the idiots who are waiting for the Big 10 bid that will never come.

I actually think that while revenue will be less for the top schools post 2025 than it is now, I think it could be a lot more for UConn. I think the new models are an opportunity, and UConn does not have a lot to lose by the collegiate athletics business model blowing up and starting from scratch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NBC paid a ton for the Premier League for the next 5 years+ the one that just ended.

Compared to what? They got every game for six seasons for what ESPN pays for 8 monday night football games.

They get entire EPL seasons for about what Fox is paying for half the tier 1 rights of the Big 10.

I'm pretty sure you are supporting what I'm saying - they don't spend money outside SNF and the Olympics.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I actually think that while revenue will be less for the top schools post 2025 than it is now, I think it could be a lot more for UConn. I think the new models are an opportunity, and UConn does not have a lot to lose by the collegiate athletics business model blowing up and starting from scratch.

So, you want us to drop football to save money, but think in the long run a new model will help a football-less school?

Good to see both sides of your head are independent, i guess.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My outrage is at the idiots who are waiting for the Big 10 bid that will never come.

The Big Ten bid may never come for UConn. But you don't know what the Big Ten is going to do in ~2025. They could go for any number of ACC or Big 12 schools. UVA, VTech, UNC, GT, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, I don't buy FSU but by that time who knows. UConn will look like idiots if they downgrade any component of athletics and then there's an open spot in the ACC and Temple gets it over UConn, which is what slashing costs could do.

Reaction Score
Nelson I am genuinely curious. I am not trying to wind you up in the least. I don’t even necessarily disagree with a lot of what you said in this thread. Let’s say no P5 invite is coming in the foreseeable future and ESPN comes back with a new contract offer that is not considerably better then what we are stuck with now. What would the specifics be of a Nelson business plan for UConn/AAC. This board is flush with numbers (market sizes etc). What would a Commissioner Nelson’s specifically propose and what kind of numbers are we really looking at?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The objective is for schools to get control of their own content, because that is where the market is going. I believe that UConn would be better off selling its content regionally to local affiliates and SNY than it will be as part of an AAC ESPN contract, and I suspect the rest of the AAC is in a similar bucket. I wouldn't be surprised if the A10 and MWC feel the same.

If you step back and look at the conference as just a TV rights negotiating and scheduling alliance, you can get creative in terms of composition and inter-league scheduling to drive better matchups, more regional rivalries, and a better overall TV package. For example, one thing you could do is create an affiliation of all the G5 leagues, and then break it into A) regional pods or subdivisions that could even be considered conferences, but also have B) "Tiers" between the leagues to create the best national matchups in a particular year.

So UConn's division might be: Navy, Army, Buffalo, Temple, UMass

But then UConn could also be a Tier I national team, which would include Houston, Boise, BYU, Navy, Temple, Memphis, San Diego State, WKU, and Bowling Green. Maybe you would break up the Tiers into I through 3, with I and II, 25% each. The Tiers would be determined preseason, or if you wanted to be fancy, allocate 3 weekends of "Tier" games in the second half of the season, and decide matchups as you go like Bracket Buster.

So, in my format, UConn's football schedule could be:

4 non-conference
Navy, Army, Buffalo, Temple, UMass
Boise, Memphis, San Diego State, or if UConn was not as strong, maybe Tulsa, MTSU and CSU.

A schedule like this would have at least 3 solid national games, plus possibly 1 or 2 more if UConn's divisional opponents are strong. Those games could be sold to an ESPN or FoxSports. The rest of the home games would be UConn's to sell as it wished on SNY or locally. I think you would probably find that the visiting team would have some rebroadcast rights. Buffalo and UMass actually have a lot of value, because a UConn game is more valuable to an SNY or NESN if the other team playing is also regionally meaningful. Within the Division, there would be the spectrum of Tiers, from I to III. I would propose having a geographic and quality conference, just do them separately.

In years where UConn is a Tier II, the Tier games are no worse than what we get now from the AAC. It would actually be less clutter in the schedule than we have now, where we can get 5 or 6 opponents on the conference slate that no one cares about.

The Tier I games should be more valuable to national TV because the networks are guaranteed quality matchups. And every school would have control of its 3 non-conference games.

Throw the A 10 in the mix and do the same for hoops.

I know some NCAA regs would have to be changed, but if the P5 is going to make it up as they go along, then so can we. I also think a lot of P5 teams would like the model for their own leagues.

In terms of dollars, UConn was making more money off its women's basketball SNY contract when it was in the Big East than it makes off its share of the AAC contract now (which includes women's basketball). BYU and Boise both sell their content directly to ESPN and make $5-8 million a year each doing it. I bet UConn could probably match its revenue off the national contract alone, and make a lot more off the regional sales than they would ever make through the AAC, and I bet the same goes for most of the AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom