UConn - ND, Tagged a Jimmy V Classic, Set for Dec. 4th Broadcast on ABC | The Boneyard

UConn - ND, Tagged a Jimmy V Classic, Set for Dec. 4th Broadcast on ABC

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

As most know, the game will be played in South Bend (Purcell Pavillion). ND will have just played Maryland in the ACC/B1G classic.
For those not familiar with her, that's Maddy Westbeld featured in ad. Nice to be able to post about a game, even if it's nearly 5 months off! :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Three games that are ALWAYS circled on our calendars......any game against Tennessee, South Carolina and Notre Dame. Of course it's on NATIONAL TV!! Probably the marquee game of the day in WCBB. In ESPN's way too early top 25 rankings of WCBB, the Irish are ranked #9. UConn is ranked #2. WCBB fans across the country will be watching. Dec 4 is on a Sunday which means this game will go head-to-head with NFL football games televised during that time slot.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

As most know, the game will be played in South Bend (Purcell Pavillion). ND will have just played Maryland in the ACC/B1G classic.
For those not familiar with her, that's Maddy Westbeld featured in ad. Nice to be able to post about a game, even if it's nearly 5 months off! :D

How did Paige not snag the photo or at least share as UConn vs ND ? :confused:

Fire the marketing guys.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Fire the marketing guys.
eebmg, I'm surprised at you missing the boat here. Look at who posted this originally on Twitter. Notre Dame Women's Basketball. Of course they are going to feature one of their players. For them to create a post featuring Paige (instead of one of their own players, would be like UConn posting a similar ad for this game featuring a ND player. They don't like UConn. I don't think they are interested in sharing the spotlight with us.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
eebmg, I'm surprised at you missing the boat here. Look at who posted this originally on Twitter. Notre Dame Women's Basketball. Of course they are going to feature one of their players. For them to create a post featuring Paige (instead of one of their own players, would be like UConn posting a similar ad for this game featuring a ND player. They don't like UConn. I don't think they are interested in sharing the spotlight with us.
"They don't like UConn. I don't think they are interested in sharing the spotlight with us."

Carnac: As you said in your earlier post, this is a huge game for WCBB, UConn and, obviously, Notre Dame, as well. I think the ND marketing folks don't hold much of a view outside of the fact that this is a early-season draw for Niele & Company. Of course, you'd expect an ND player front and center and Maddy is one of ND's top returning players. However, I think the UConn Husky got some nice positioning front and left! ;)

As both teams get closer to the contest, I'm sure there will be many more media placements.

Carnac

Reaction Score
"They don't like UConn. I don't think they are interested in sharing the spotlight with us."

Carnac: As you said in your earlier post, this is a huge game for WCBB, UConn and, obviously, Notre Dame, as well. I think the ND marketing folks don't hold much of a view outside of the fact that this is a early-season draw for Niele & Company. Of course, you'd expect an ND player front and center and Maddy is one of ND's top returning players. However, I think the UConn Husky got some nice positioning front and left! ;)

As both teams get closer to the contest, I'm sure there will be many more media placements.
Dillon77, we got no beef. I don't have a query or problem with the production or marketing of this ad. Talk to eebmg. He's the one questioning why: How did Paige not snag the photo or at least share as UConn vs ND ? :confused: At some point in the future UConn WBB will produce and market a similar poster/placement on Twitter promoting the game that will feature a UConn player.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought it was the network (ABC) designing the promo and ND just plucked it out, :oops:

And if it's a selection from ND players only, I would pick the most visible (Olivia Miles) but I suppose an upperclassman can get the nod.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought it was the network (ABC) designing the promo and ND just plucked it out, :oops:

And if it's a selection from ND players only, I would pick the most visible (Olivia Miles) but I suppose an upperclassman can get the nod.
ABC/ESPN do not have UConn’s media rights but do own ND’s for home and ACC games. ESPN/ABC will of course use Paige and UConn to market game given UConn’s history of high ratings.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Me too. I like Olivia Miles as I liked Brianna Turner. l like Miles’ game.

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm a bit more wait and see on ND than a lot of people, though I like their team. I think Citron will probably go to another level this year and Olivia Miles was really good by the end of the season. I do think losing Maya Dodson was a big deal and Westbeld kind of took a step back. So I don't think they will win the ACC and I'm less bullish on them being a potential final 4 team. Nevertheless its definitely a rivalry game and one that will be exciting. I'm glad it will be on ABC.

I thought the game last year was pretty competitive though it seemed like they couldn't really cut it to below double figures in the second half. Of course we didn't have Azzi but if I remember correctly they played a lot of zone which was interesting. I also remember Liv being a monster in that game.

Reaction Score
I feel like I'm a bit more wait and see on ND than a lot of people, though I like their team. I think Citron will probably go to another level this year and Olivia Miles was really good by the end of the season. I do think losing Maya Dodson was a big deal and Westbeld kind of took a step back. So I don't think they will win the ACC and I'm less bullish on them being a potential final 4 team. Nevertheless its definitely a rivalry game and one that will be exciting. I'm glad it will be on ABC.

I thought the game last year was pretty competitive though it seemed like they couldn't really cut it to below double figures in the second half. Of course we didn't have Azzi but if I remember correctly they played a lot of zone which was interesting. I also remember Liv being a monster in that game.
WBB is a guards game and I think ND might have the best backcourt not located in Storrs, CT.

Miles is great and Citron is going to be an absolute stud.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

No one expected Dodson to become the overall force she became last year. Defense and rebounding was expected but the offensive contributions were above and beyond what anyone thought.
Interestingly, I believe her effectiveness in the post threw Maddy Westbeld for a bit of a loop. Maddy, in 2020-21, was the focal point of all things offensively for the Irish. However, Dodson took over the lane and Miles/Citron added mid- and long-range threats. Westbeld had to adjust.

However, she did. In the ACC and particularly the NCAA's, Maddy's shooting percentage was way up and she was getting her swag back. I expect this to continue this season.

All starters save Dodson are back. Can one or two or all three of the Irish posts -- Lauren Ebo, Kylee Watson or Nat Marshall -- contribute enough to make up for the lack of Dodson? Marshall is back on the court and working hard. She can not only play down low, but out at the high post. Stay tuned.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
At least the press are getting it right :cool:

By the way, it is a Double Header with the undercard Virginia Tech at Tennessee.
Undercard is right. UConn/ND on ABC while VaTech/Tennessee on ESPN 2.

Season 1 Showtime GIF by Billions

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Fire the marketing guys.
Dillon77, we got no beef. I don't have a query or problem with the production or marketing of this ad. Talk to eebmg. He's the one questioning why: How did Paige not snag the photo or at least share as UConn vs ND ? :confused: At some point in the future UConn WBB will produce and market a similar poster/placement on Twitter promoting the game that will feature a UConn player.
FYI, in announcing the game today the Hartford Courant included a photo of Paige dribbling while being guarded by Westbeld. Surely the folks in South Bend could have found a similar photo to announce the game between two of WBB’s biggest rivals….:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why do people feel ND is supposed to show UConn players when advertising the game to their own fans?
For the same reason that UConn WBB issued an announcement on its Twitter page, which you posted yesterday, highlighting the game with the ND logo prominently displayed and a small Husky logo in the upper corner - to promote a great WBB game in support of a worthy cause.

Just as with UConn’s Twitter page, it’s not just ND fans that follow ND’s Twitter page. I will give partial credit to ND for including both ND & UConn’s logos to the left of the photo of Westbeld. But if you really want to get fans pumped up, there is no better way than giving them a taste of what’s in store: a terrific battle between two great rivals.

Obviously, ND & UConn WBB fans will tune in to the game in mass. I have no doubt that Dillon77 & I will both be watching on the edge of our seats. But this game is also designed to raise money and awareness for cancer research. Attracting casual fans is just as important as announcing the game to diehard fans on McGraw’s Bench and the BY.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For the same reason that UConn WBB issued an announcement on its Twitter page, which you posted yesterday, highlighting the game with the ND logo prominently displayed and a small Husky logo in the upper corner - to promote a great WBB game in support of a worthy cause.

Just as with UConn’s Twitter page, it’s not just ND fans that follow ND’s Twitter page. I will give partial credit to ND for including both ND & UConn’s logos to the left of the photo of Westbeld. But if you really want to get fans pumped up, there is no better way than giving them a taste of what’s in store: a terrific battle between two great rivals.

Obviously, ND & UConn WBB fans will tune in to the game in mass. I have no doubt that Dillon77 & I will both be watching on the edge of our seats. But this game is also designed to raise money and awareness for cancer research. Attracting casual fans is just as important as announcing the game to diehard fans on McGraw’s Bench and the BY.
Folks need to accept that not everything is about UConn

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I
Me too. I like Olivia Miles as I liked Brianna Turner. l like Miles’ game.
like her game as well, it's hard to find fault with Maddy being on the add. She is a hardnosed player with a lot of game. She is one of three players on ND I like, she is a baller. Like most on the BY I would rather drink bleach than watch ND and their players unless they are being flummoxed by almost anyone.:p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom