Uconn ND Just Because | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn ND Just Because

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
For all the negative feelings BY-ers have for her, Muffet is just one heck of a coach. This to me is her greatest coaching job: Keeping her charges motivated, the incredible number of injuries, the lowered expectations, integrating a transfer into the flow, the rise of Louisville in her conference. She has had to overcome all of this to make the FF. Kudos to the woman who I think is WCBB 2nd greatest living coach.
Agree. I think she deserves a lot of credit for how her team came out of the locker room at halftime and just owned that quarter.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
JordyG,

I lost all my respect for Muffet from the day when she tried to win the Vol's fan by announcing "there's no civilized....since Pat died" .. Something like that.

Too me she an opportunist. I don't like opportunists. I like people with dignity.
And similarly most here lost respect for Pat when her Alzheimer's made her see bogglin's around every corner. Yet many here still begrudgingly admit her greatness as a coach. Why can't some people on this site compartmentalize and separate players from their institutions or coaching abilities versus the personality? It's as if people aren't comfortable unless they can roll everything into a little ball, tag it, identify it and feel satisfied that is the whole of it?

Reaction Score
And similarly most here lost respect for Pat when her Alzheimer's made her see bogglin's around every corner. Yet many here still begrudgingly admit her greatness as a coach. Why can't some people on this site compartmentalize and separate players from their institutions or coaching abilities versus the personality? It's as if people aren't comfortable unless they can roll everything into a little ball, tag it, identify it and feel satisfied that is the whole of it?
I don't like Muffet. I never did, even prior to the Stewie incident. I won't apologize for that. There are some people that just rub a person the wrong way despite everything they have accomplished. And she is that person (in the coaching world) for me. We all have our people that we dislike however irrational it may seem to others.

Reaction Score
I don't like Muffet. I never did, even prior to the Stewie incident. I won't apologize for that. There are some people that just rub a person the wrong way despite everything they have accomplished. And she is that person (in the coaching world) for me. We all have our people that we dislike however irrational it may seem to others.
I feel the exact same way.
She just rubs me the wrong way.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Again I don't get it. By all reports Bobby Fischer was one of the most despicable people every to push a pawn, yet his brilliance as a chess player has to be acknowledged. John Lennon admitted on multiple occasions that he used to beat women senseless. History is littered with people who are or were despicable but genius. Yet here on the BY few will say, "Yeah, Muffet is just a horrible, vile person; but what a great coach". The two things are absolutely not mutually exclusive. Many people around the country think the very same of Geno, yet will admit his genius. Why aren't we big enough to do the same?

Reaction Score
The differences I see from these two teams last encounter is a healthy Lou, a healthy Gabby and a healthier Crystal, all of whom have participated in practices. This was not the case the last time. All were in the middle of issues that kept them from practice and hobbled them during the game. Z became the necessary difference.

For all the negative feelings BY-ers have for her, Muffet is just one heck of a coach. This to me is her greatest coaching job: Keeping her charges motivated, the incredible number of injuries, the lowered expectations, integrating a transfer into the flow, the rise of Louisville in her conference. She has had to overcome all of this to make the FF. Kudos to the woman who I think is WCBB's 2nd greatest living coach.

UConn/ND clashes have usually been epic, no matter the records, no matter the stakes, no matter the players, no matter the year. Our respective fan bases have always seen these two teams as rivals, and beating the other has always made the season feel a success. A one point victory against ND feels like a 50 point victory against, well, even Stanford. Throw out the last game as a yardstick. Each game has its own personality, and so will this one. I still feel this team, when healthy, is 15 points better than any iteration Muffet can put on the floor. I feel if this team brings its A game, as Geno says, no other team has a chance. But this is why they play the game. Can't wait.
JordyG as I often do, I think your analysis is spot on!
We have many pluses as compared to last game! And yes, MM is a truly great coach and will do all she can to make this a close one.
I see one of two ways this plays out, both of which are good!
Either we play as we did against SC, although it's almost impossible to shoot 90% from three in the first half. Even if we just play well, we might get a quick, early lead and leave them in the dust. More likely, we will make a run and MM will make adjustments to keep her team in the game. I don't think they have the depth (even without potential foul trouble) to score enough to beat us. Then it will likely be a 6 - 12 point U Conn victory.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Again I don't get it. By all reports Bobby Fischer was one of the most despicable people every to push a pawn, yet his brilliance as a chess player has to be acknowledged. John Lennon admitted on multiple occasions that he used to beat women senseless. History is littered with people who are or were despicable but genius. Yet here on the BY few will say, "Yeah, Muffet is just a horrible, vile person; but what a great coach". The two things are absolutely not mutually exclusive. Many people around the country think the very same of Geno, yet will admit his genius. Why aren't we big enough to do the same?
WOW!
So well said!
Bronx23

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who else noticed the Mabrey flop on the 3 pt shot where she wasn't even touched? I admire her grit but she's not an easy player to respect.
Nice karma, though. Her flop tripped her own teammate who ended up driving Mabrey's face into the floor. Good times!

Reaction Score
Nice karma, though. Her flop tripped her own teammate who ended up driving Mabrey's face into the floor. Good times!
You're spot on. Karma will get you.

Reaction Score
My name is Bizarro. Say my name.

Anyone who takes the name Bizarro, has my vote!:rolleyes::cool:
Bizarro Facebook funeral.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know you don't get it. You don't have too, and that's fine. We both have different opinions. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion to my way of thinking..

Reaction Score
Beyond the coaches and their personalities, I think if the Huskies come out and play well from the beginning of the game, there is no way that they lose. If they come out cold and Notre Dame hangs with them or gets in front, it will be a totally different ball game and there will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth just as there was when the two teams played in December. It that case it could be like last year's semi-final where they just couldn't shake Mississippi State and lost in OT.

As someone on "the Bench" said, the Irish are playing with house money this year. With the injuries they have suffered no one really expected them to get this far and the fact that they are in the Final Four is icing on the cake. They may well be able to go into the game more relaxed and able to play more freely. They may not have the weight of expectations on them that the Huskies will have. Emotions and expectations are wild cards that can affect any team. Who handles the emotions of the game better? Do you turn them into a strength or do you let them get into your head and mess up your focus leading to pressing and fouling up your efficiency? We'll see Friday night.

How is that for stating the obvious... ;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just saw that 538 (as of Wednesday morning) predicts that UConn has an 89% chance of beating Notre Dame and a 75% chance of winning the NC. They expect (by 54-46 odds) that Louisville will defeat Mississippi State.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Very insightful. I think it's just human nature to simplify: good one, bad one, good one ...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought ND had a brilliant 2nd half the other night
Not to be underestimated.
But we're sure playing well.

Reaction Score
I just saw that 538 (as of Wednesday morning) predicts that UConn has an 89% chance of beating Notre Dame and a 75% chance of winning the NC. They expect (by 54-46 odds) that Louisville will defeat Mississippi State.

538 also predicted that Oregon would win vs ND. They did not take into account, experience, coaching and players' emotions. Just a bunch of statistics which were wrong. If I remembered correctly, 538 also predicted UConn win by a sizable margin ove MSST last year.

Reaction Score
JordyG as I often do, I think your analysis is spot on!
We have many pluses as compared to last game! And yes, MM is a truly great coach and will do all she can to make this a close one.
I see one of two ways this plays out, both of which are good!
Either we play as we did against SC, although it's almost impossible to shoot 90% from three in the first half. Even if we just play well, we might get a quick, early lead and leave them in the dust. More likely, we will make a run and MM will make adjustments to keep her team in the game. I don't think they have the depth (even without potential foul trouble) to score enough to beat us. Then it will likely be a 6 - 12 point U Conn victory.
Bronx23

ND is used to playing with a short bench and frankly how much shorter is their bench then UConn's? I never underestimate ND even when UConn is vastly superior in four of the five positions on the court..............I expect a fairly close game but hopefully UConn won't have to make a comeback in this one.......

Reaction Score
And the Massey computer has Mississippi State with a 58% probability of beating Louisville. Guess that game is really closer to even odds.

Massey thinks UConn has an 83% chance of beating Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
If only it was that easy. Any of the 4 remaining team is capable of taking the trophy home. Past results mean very little, if anything at all.

You need to remember UConn destroying MS in Bridgeport 2 years ago only to get eliminated last year in the FF's. Got to play the games!

Reaction Score
The differences I see from these two teams last encounter is a healthy Lou, a healthy Gabby and a healthier Crystal, all of whom have participated in practices. This was not the case the last time. All were in the middle of issues that kept them from practice and hobbled them during the game. Z became the necessary difference.

For all the negative feelings BY-ers have for her, Muffet is just one heck of a coach. This to me is her greatest coaching job: Keeping her charges motivated, the incredible number of injuries, the lowered expectations, integrating a transfer into the flow, the rise of Louisville in her conference. She has had to overcome all of this to make the FF. Kudos to the woman who I think is WCBB's 2nd greatest living coach.

UConn/ND clashes have usually been epic, no matter the records, no matter the stakes, no matter the players, no matter the year. Our respective fan bases have always seen these two teams as rivals, and beating the other has always made the season feel a success. A one point victory against ND feels like a 50 point victory against, well, even Stanford. Throw out the last game as a yardstick. Each game has its own personality, and so will this one. I still feel this team, when healthy, is 15 points better than any iteration Muffet can put on the floor. I feel if this team brings its A game, as Geno says, no other team has a chance. But this is why they play the game. Can't wait.

Really like your take on this match-up. We all have to remember that, as the financial folks always warn us, "Past results do not guarantee future performance."

I think this is an epic final four, not only because the four # 1's are in it, but there is a great story behind each of them leading into the games: On this board, we all know UConn's story relating to last year. ND wants payback for the early season loss and wants to get out of UConn's shadow--and would like a chance to beat Louisville in the final game after losing to them twice this year. Louisville wants to get over the hump and finally win the NC (and maybe finally beat UConn if that's their opponent!). And Mississippi State wants to show that last year wasnt a fluke, plus wants to finally win the NC.

HUGE motivation for all four of these great teams. This will be a great weekend of great basketball!!

Reaction Score
And the Massey computer has Mississippi State with a 58% probability of beating Louisville. Guess that game is really closer to even odds.

Massey thinks UConn has an 83% chance of beating Notre Dame.

Coach Vic has a way of slowing down high powered offenses and I'm not sure that Louisville has the discipline it takes to change game plans on the fly..........it may come down to who's going to have the better shooting game Vivians or Durr and/or whether Fuehring can limit McCowan's offensive presence........

Reaction Score
I hope the ND posters here don't think I'm being condescending as a fan of the Nouveau Riche, but any of the three teams in the Final Four is a bad matchup for ND because Mabrey has to handle so much of their ballhandling responsibility instead of being run off screens and curls to augment Ogunbowale's skill set and physicality on the wings. The ball pressure applied from the top by MS State, UConn and Louisville is one thing that really hurts that missing true PG for McGraw...and is something that has separated them from the Field as it is.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Beyond the coaches and their personalities, I think if the Huskies come out and play well from the beginning of the game, there is no way that they lose. If they come out cold and Notre Dame hangs with them or gets in front, it will be a totally different ball game and there will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth just as there was when the two teams played in December. It that case it could be like last year's semi-final where they just couldn't shake Mississippi State and lost in OT.

As someone on "the Bench" said, the Irish are playing with house money this year. With the injuries they have suffered no one really expected them to get this far and the fact that they are in the Final Four is icing on the cake. They may well be able to go into the game more relaxed and able to play more freely. They may not have the weight of expectations on them that the Huskies will have. Emotions and expectations are wild cards that can affect any team. Who handles the emotions of the game better? Do you turn them into a strength or do you let them get into your head and mess up your focus leading to pressing and fouling up your efficiency? We'll see Friday night.

How is that for stating the obvious... ;)

Quite obviously, you stated it rather excellently!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Coach Vic has a way of slowing down high powered offenses and I'm not sure that Louisville has the discipline it takes to change game plans on the fly.....it may come down to who's going to have the better shooting game Vivians or Durr and/or whether Fuehring can limit McCowan's offensive presence...

I think the key to MSST vs Louisville is if Durr is spot on. I believe she has the capacity to carry her team on her back in the event the rest of the Cardinals are having off nights. If the rest of the team is playing up to their capabilities and Durr is hot, then even better odds.

But overall, I think MSST is the most complete team in WCBB next to UConn and I expect them to play on Easter in what may be an epic batttle.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
While you are waiting, it is worthwhile to rewatch this year's UConn-ND game, especially the fourth quarter. Very entertaining, arguably the best game this season, so far. Yes, both teams are in a much different place, but still a very even match.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom