UConn-ND is going to be intriguing this season | The Boneyard

UConn-ND is going to be intriguing this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has a lot of chemistry, toughness, and experience, but they don't have the personnel to exploit one of UConn's main vulnerabilities, namely, size and depth up front. They have the same vulnerability. Dolson had her way with ND twice before getting into foul trouble in the F4. If she stays on the floor, ND has not fixed that problem. UConn's strength, guard depth, matches up squarely with ND's strength. I think these games, and there may be four of them again, almost definitely three, are going to come down to outside shooting. Should be immensely entertaining.

Reaction Score
Outside shooting is right! ND shot just 16% today from 3-point range. They are better than that(I think).
That could be the difference when they match up with Uconn

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
How did Peters play? I saw that Achonwa got some minutes; did she look rusty?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has a lot of chemistry, toughness, and experience, but they don't have the personnel to exploit one of UConn's main vulnerabilities, namely, size and depth up front. They have the same vulnerability. Dolson had her way with ND twice before getting into foul trouble in the F4. If she stays on the floor, ND has not fixed that problem. UConn's strength, guard depth, matches up squarely with ND's strength. I think these games, and there may be four of them again, almost definitely three, are going to come down to outside shooting. Should be immensely entertaining.

ND misses a lot of toughness inside without Bruzer. We're not exactly thin up front imo, just not sure how talented all of it is yet. Dolson, Stokes, Buck, Johnson = a number of bodies at the very least. Hopefully we see some of them develop over the year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Peters was 2-10. Achanwa came off the bench and wasn't veyr aggressive. Didn't show the kind of presence it looked like she was developing at the end of last year, but she could easily have just been a little tentative and out of rhythm.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not surprised Peters was ineffective. She's not a center and doesn't have the offensive game to score away from the basket to counteract Griner's size advantage.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Uconn is a better team this season then last. More depth and not dependent on one player to bail them out. We have alot of talented height too. Height and depth and I think that is why we will beat ND.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ND now has the target on their backs. How they handle this will tell how good they really are! The pressure will be on them all year. And it wears on a team.

Even though they return four starters, do they have the toughness to do battle inside. Becca is no longer there. I don't think Peters or Achonwa have the toughness. This could be their downfall.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ND now has the target on their backs. How they handle this will tell how good they really are! The pressure will be on them all year. And it wears on a team.

Even though they return four starters, do they have the toughness to do battle inside. Becca is no longer there. I don't think Peters or Achonwa have the toughness. This could be their downfall.
A lot falls on Achonwa inside, as Peters is a) only one person, b) not all that tall, and c) foul prone. Their 1 through 3 positions are tough as nails, and I generally liked what I saw today from Kayla McBride as well. But I don't see how they beat the Baylors of the world without getting more from the frontcourt.

Reaction Score
Dolson, Stokes, Buck, Johnson = a number of bodies at the very least.

We had 3 of those 4 players last year. Remains to be seen if any of those players other than Dolson are ready for prime time. I don't see Johnson playing Monday night; not sure about Buck; Stokes will play some but unclear how much.

Reaction Score
FYI, Achonwa made a cameo after tearing her MCL a few weeks ago. She had surgery right before the season opener and wasn't suppose to be back till close to mid December. Toughness isn't what ND lacked today or any day. Today it was all outside shooting because they didn't have the option to drive the lane as much as they'd like. Still ND scored 40pts in the paint to Baylor's 52. Not bad considering the height and post issues. ND missed a ton of layups that were bunnies (Peters had a ton of good looks) and not effected by Griner. The overriding difference in this game and what we're going to see in all the top 5 match-ups is who is playing at home.

Reaction Score
A lot falls on Achonwa inside, as Peters is a) only one person, b) not all that tall, and c) foul prone. Their 1 through 3 positions are tough as nails, and I generally liked what I saw today from Kayla McBride as well. But I don't see how they beat the Baylors of the world without getting more from the frontcourt.

"Baylors of the world" needs to be the singular "Baylor". No other team presents the same obstacles and lumping other teams in with them is purely assumption at this point.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Uconn is a better team this season then last. More depth and not dependent on one player to bail them out. We have alot of talented height too. Height and depth and I think that is why we will beat ND.

Right now?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A good point made about playing some of the other players. I think all 11 players are good enough and can play in big games and in the past Geno didnt do that. Will he do it now? I dont know. From what Ive seen Bria Caroline BB Kelly Tiffany and BB and Stef Kiah and Heather will see playtime in big games. ND is a very good team with good chemistry and a very good coach. Their big weakness is lack of height.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
"Baylors of the world" needs to be the singular "Baylor". No other team presents the same obstacles and lumping other teams in with them is purely assumption at this point.
No one else has Griner, but other teams have size up front, and they may all prove to be a challenge for ND should they meet up. Stanford instantly comes to mind. UConn may even by season's end, if it comes to that. A lot rests on Onchonwa playing at a high level this year if ND is going to make it to Denver. Why is that a controversial statement?

Reaction Score

Peters did not play well. She missed a number of layups plus got into her usual foul trouble and had to sit. ND missed their first 12 3point shots. If they had shot better it would have been a very close game.

Both ND and Baylor are very talented and well coached. They will be a challenge for us. Achowa (sp?) played limited minutes because of her injury. She will make a difference upfront later in the season.

Reaction Score
No one else has Griner, but other teams have size up front, and they may all prove to be a challenge for ND should they meet up. Stanford instantly comes to mind. UConn may even by season's end, if it comes to that. A lot rests on Onchonwa playing at a high level this year if ND is going to make it to Denver. Why is that a controversial statement?

I don't think it's controversial, just don't think that the term "size" is a complete description of Griner. 6'8 with that wing-span, speed, mobility is far and away a different category. Stanford is great and the O's are the O's, but they aren't going to be blocking the shots and preventing interior offense like Griner. The O's are closer to Peters and Achonwa then the O's are to Griner. I personally think ND is more physical and tough. I guess I look at it in the way of what they were able to do with being "small" last year. They can find a way and even thrive if they execute. They had 2 games that they were dominated by a center and it cost them last year. The other loses were all single digits, decided in the final moments and could have been overcome if they actually shot well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If it comes down to shooting, I have just one thing to say:

We have Kaleena, and they don't. :)

Reaction Score
I feel confident in the efforts that will be put forth by the returning crew. I will be interested to see how the freshmen react to this level of competition. I’m also hoping that Heather can come in and contribute to the team as she has in the last couple of games. Go UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom