UConn Moving to the Big East? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Moving to the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one watches BE anything. There is zero visibility (if you believe the ratings numbers) let alone value in it. The BE blew its shot when the Catholic schools started acting like brats and decided to destroy the league. Now, it's power conference or bust. Either get into a power conference or prepare to downsize your athletic department because not even God himself will be able to help you keep up with B1G and SEC schools raking in $40-50 million dollars every year just from a TV contract. When a top NYC basketball recruit is choosing between say Rutgers who will be able to pay said player $10k/year or UConn where you get to play Creighton and Butler, where do you think they are going to go?

No argument--I learned a bit from your posting--
As I perceive your message it is Big 12 or abolish Uconn sports! Your last sentence about Recruit selecting Rutgers over Uconn for 10 k per year has a scary tone to it. But if that player goes to UConn without any per diem or payback money--it is possible the Uconn route may take her to the WNBA or Europe WBB for really big buck. More likely at Uconn than Rutgers, isn't it? Yes some RU Alums made it--look at Christine Dailey...
Since the BE is primarily a Catholic league/conference one would immediately think---your 4th sentence is moot--since God is highly visible in all BE schools except probably Butler. In the past God was in some manner part of every military motto--that's why HE didn't take sides..(I got that from a very very high source)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What has been the return on all those millions taxpayer shelled out for UC Football?
Sometimes you have to just ride out the moment then make a decision to play the hand you have or walk away--know when to fold em, know when to hold em!
Yep. It would be a mistake to fold 'em.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not to argue but along with your thoughts/presentation---In the real world the ability to create or negotiate depends on what you have to offer, your power, your high level identity---Arkansas in the old time history--in Football got many Bowl bids for one reason , it's true that at time they had a good to great team but that was not what got them bowl bids---their fans won the day for them--hoards of Razorbacks filled stadiums, hotels, restaurant, transportation facilities.That was the dollar value of playing Arkansas for the Bowls.

I would ask, other than WBB fans for Uconn, what attributes, value (in dollars) or high level identity does Uconn bring to the table??
I don't know the answer, but Broadway is right in that bowl bids past the top echelon are somewhat influence by the tickets you can sell. Rumor was, in the best days, that Rutgers "traveled well" - don't know if it is still true. Arizona actually travels well relatively locally - but mostly for men's basketball. Pack the Pac tourney in Vegas, for example. Decent attendance in Glendale for the big-time bowl 2 seasons ago, but mediocre sales this year for a season opening meeting with BYU in Glendale.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Some of us out west are still praying for UConn in the Pac12. :rolleyes:
Noooooooooo! Just because I respect UConn and don't "hate" them doesn't mean I want my team playing them. Getting schooled by UConn is not enjoyable. In spite of a period of some better success, Rutgers over-all experienced it way to often to be enjoyable. And although Arizona should improve with new coaching, I don't think they are going to be good enough to reap any benefits from losing to UConn in the near future.

Reaction Score
I don't buy any of the gloom and doom over non P5 basketball. The Old Big East showed that a bunch of non-powerhouse athletic schools can form a conference and play basketball at the highest level. As for the current situation, either I'm hallucinating, or a non P5 school has won three of the last four men's basketball championships. While I agree that B12 is the best option, NBE is not so bad. Especially with UCONN in it. The $%^# with football. As for post-Geno, the women will be in good hands and still have the tradition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When a top NYC basketball recruit is choosing between say Rutgers who will be able to pay said player $10k/year or UConn where you get to play Creighton and Butler, where do you think they are going to go?
Villanova or UCONN if they want to win a Championship!

Reaction Score
No argument--I learned a bit from your posting--
As I perceive your message it is Big 12 or abolish Uconn sports! Your last sentence about Recruit selecting Rutgers over Uconn for 10 k per year has a scary tone to it. But if that player goes to UConn without any per diem or payback money--it is possible the Uconn route may take her to the WNBA or Europe WBB for really big buck. More likely at Uconn than Rutgers, isn't it? Yes some RU Alums made it--look at Christine Dailey...
Since the BE is primarily a Catholic league/conference one would immediately think---your 4th sentence is moot--since God is highly visible in all BE schools except probably Butler. In the past God was in some manner part of every military motto--that's why HE didn't take sides..(I got that from a very very high source)
No one is saying we need to abolish sports. That will happen on its own due to lack of finances. It's not like we have multi billion endowments to carry us like the Ivies do.

Reaction Score
I don't buy any of the gloom and doom over non P5 basketball. The Old Big East showed that a bunch of non-powerhouse athletic schools can form a conference and play basketball at the highest level. As for the current situation, either I'm hallucinating, or a non P5 school has won three of the last four men's basketball championships. While I agree that B12 is the best option, NBE is not so bad. Especially with UCONN in it. The $%^# with football. As for post-Geno, the women will be in good hands and still have the tradition.
So without power conference TV money, which is driven by football, who is going to pay for our ridiculously expensive power conference-level athletic department?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I would ask, other than WBB fans for Uconn, what attributes, value (in dollars) or high level identity does Uconn bring to the table??

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you really don't know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you really don't know.
Not to answer for Broadway but assume the latter. To amplify, why are these UCONN "attributes" insufficient to have UCONN in a P5 conference already?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Not to answer for Broadway but assume the latter. To amplify, why are these UCONN "attributes" insufficient to have UCONN in a P5 conference already?

They aren't. It's not always the school's attributes that have kept it from joining a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the conference politics involved in picking new members. It's a good ol' boys network. These same schools also control who gets invited into the AAU.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Are you really a UConn fan? Not envy, anger.
Sure, Coco's a Huskies' fan. I know that the term 'fan' is short for fanatic, but that fanaticism manifests itself in different ways. Some fans are utterly devoted to their team and cannot view them objectively. Other fans can view their teams more objectively, but are fanatic in the way they follow the team and think about them constantly. TonyC would be an excellent example of the first category (no offense intended, Tony) and Coco (and many others on this site) are great examples of the second type. Coco is always reading posts and sharing his thoughts, so his devotion to this board is fanatic, but his views and posts are more balanced.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
No one watches BE anything. There is zero visibility (if you believe the ratings numbers) let alone value in it. The BE blew its shot when the Catholic schools started acting like brats and decided to destroy the league. Now, it's power conference or bust. Either get into a power conference or prepare to downsize your athletic department because not even God himself will be able to help you keep up with B1G and SEC schools raking in $40-50 million dollars every year just from a TV contract. When a top NYC basketball recruit is choosing between say Rutgers who will be able to pay said player $10k/year or UConn where you get to play Creighton and Butler, where do you think they are going to go?
That's not the way I saw it. I thought the Catholic schools left en masse because the football schools were leaving (or attempting to leave) the Big East like rats on a sinking ship. UConn had been trying to leave for the ACC before the Catholic schools decided to leave, so you can't blame them for going their own way. If I found out that my date for the prom kept trying to upgrade her situation by propositioning other guys, I would beat her to the punch by finding someone better for myself, leaving her without her safety net.

Reaction Score
We joined the Big East in football as other member schools were working behind the scenes to get out. We were not going to be a P5 candidate given that our BCS football program was a fledgling.(Still is). Former member local schools like BC and Syracuse lobbied for our exclusion.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...c-director-gene-defilippo-espn/1#.V7dOiPkrLs0

We would bring a sizeable viewing market to a conference that develops a network. The monies from a P5 conference would greatly help to offset the subsidy to the AD that the students now pay for. State support to the university has declined steadily over the last decade.
The current AAC contract sacrificed dollars for exposure.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the conference politics involved in picking new members. It's a good ol' boys network. These same schools also control who gets invited into the AAU.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
Groucho Marx.
Politics is a constant competitive process and what dislike most about this UCONN situation is the assertion that the right outcome was not achieve because of "politics". i.e, UCONN is not in a P5 conference because of politics-Nonsense IMO. The reality is that playing winning politics is just as important to getting into a P5 as is playing winning football. Commit to do both.

Reaction Score

In a couple of years, Big 10 schools will be earning $50 million/year in media rights. AAC schools will get about $1-2 million. Just how long do you think UConn can survive in that environment?

Reaction Score
You mean a big East with UConn, Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame? UConn post Geno will need to have strong conference schedule. Why would anyone outside the conference who is any good schedule UConn if an icon is not their coach?

Reaction Score
Didn't the B1g recognize, or was it some teams in the B1g recognize, UConn as a p5 for their ooc
Games? Am I mistaken?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You mean a big East with UConn, Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame? UConn post Geno will need to have strong conference schedule. Why would anyone outside the conference who is any good schedule UConn if an icon is not their coach?
For the same reason that Non-SEC teams like ND, Stanford still schedule Tennessee after Pat Summitt (RIP) is no longer the coach.

Reaction Score
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
Groucho Marx.
Politics is a constant competitive process and what dislike most about this UCONN situation is the assertion that the right outcome was not achieve because of "politics". i.e, UCONN is not in a P5 conference because of politics-Nonsense IMO. The reality is that playing winning politics is just as important to getting into a P5 as is playing winning football. Commit to do both.
Well I do know it can't be our athletics keeping us out. UConn is better than half the teams in the P5 right now. If anyone doubts that assertion, let's compare trophy cases. UConn has won 15 basketball titles over the last 21 years and the Olympic sports are up there too. It can't be academics. Look at some of the community colleges that are in P5 conferences. We'd be no worse off than middle of the pack academically in any of the P5 conferences. It can't be TV markets. UConn is in the 30th largest TV market and also has some share of the #1 and #8 TV markets that adjoin its own TV market, so that easily puts it ahead of half the P5 (ahead of even the mighty Ohio State University TV market). So what is it exactly that we lack? Oh we suck at football? Yeah, so do 2/3rds of the P5 teams. Most of the P5 conferences are 2 or 3 teams deep with the rest a bunch of hanger-ons that are just there for the free ride a.k.a. falling backwards into a big pile of money for doing nothing more than having joined a particular conference before TV even was a thing. At least we've gone to a major bowl game relatively recently, and beat P5 teams at a 35% clip. All while being a relative newcomer to this level of competition. Right now I feel like UConn could win the national championship in football and we'd still get the cold shoulder. You were lucky; win it with some frequency then we'll talk is what people would say to excuse us from being part of the big boy club. Perhaps there is some merit to the idea that the other schools are just scared of UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn post Geno is going to be in a tough spot either way. 90% of the reason we get the recruits we do is because of Geno. No one will ever fill those shoes or take his place. These kids all come to UConn to play for Geno. When Geno is gone, why are they going to come to UConn any more than some other school? They're certainly not going to come just to play Tulsa twice a year and stare at the banners in the practice facility and the falling apart ceiling in Gampel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom