UConn - Minnesota post game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn - Minnesota post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's because we have 2 players(Aubrey and Caroline) that start and can't score in a half court offense. Add to them, some of Nika's offensive deficiencies and you see an offense that sputters.

When full healthy, this team should start Nika, Paige, Azzi, Ice and Aaliyah.
Nika will get you the occasional 10+ points (11 yesterday), and of course the assists. Really unfortunate that Aubrey can’t finish, otherwise she would be amazing. Caroline is a shell of her freshman self, hopefully things come around for her.

Reaction Score
The comment about Ashlynn Shade's last shot..... Personally I'm OK with it, even though it
would have been (perhaps) better to not shoot. I felt like she needs the experience
of "shooting" in a game situation. Being a freshman, she probably has had it drilled into
her head..... " if you have an open shot.... TAKE IT!" If that is the case, then, as a freshman
she did the right thing.!! (IMHO).
More and more teams play the full 40 minutes regardless of score. As long as this doesn't disrespect the other team, I'm fine with it. Clearly, Shade was just playing hard till the final whistle and meant no disrespect.

Reaction Score
Two years ago, Caroline was one of the better one on one players, particularly off the drive, in the league. Agree that she is struggled today but hopeful she will get her legs under her and get close to her former self.
Yes, two years ago Caroline had yet to go through hip surgery, neck problems, concussions, etc. :) I've said it numerous times previously, she's playing with fear of getting hit in the head again. It's effecting everything she does or doesn't do out there. How does that effect her 3 pt. shot? Because she knows she must produce and that pressure is causing her to rush the shot when there is no need to do so. She has also lost confidence and passes up on shots and drives to the basket she would normally take. Geno is showing great patience in her, hoping that little by little this once upon a time very talented young lady will be able to return to star quality. In the meantime, the freshmen are enjoying the benefits by getting minutes they most likely wouldn't have otherwise.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It's because we have 2 players(Aubrey and Caroline) that start and can't score in a half court offense. Add to them, some of Nika's offensive deficiencies and you see an offense that sputters.

I think that when Ayanna returns full time we will see more of Aaliyah and Ice together on the floor. They will resemble Aaliyah and Dorka, except Ice has to find a way to get more rebounds. I believe the lineup you mentioned will be the line-up going forward once Ayanna returns and Azzi is fit to play. Please gods, make Azzis injury not serious.

Reaction Score
Yes, two years ago Caroline had yet to go through hip surgery, neck problems, concussions, etc. :) I've said it numerous times previously, she's playing with fear of getting hit in the head again. It's effecting everything she does or doesn't do out there. How does that effect her 3 pt. shot? Because she knows she must produce and that pressure is causing her to rush the shot when there is no need to do so. She has also lost confidence and passes up on shots and drives to the basket she would normally take. Geno is showing great patience in her, hoping that little by little this once upon a time very talented young lady will be able to return to star quality. In the meantime, the freshmen are enjoying the benefits by getting minutes they most likely wouldn't have otherwise.
She is not the same player she was that is for sure. If there had been a natural progression for her that was uninterrupted by head injuries the team would be vastly different. BYers forget how great she played her freshman year and what she is still capable of. I don't know but I truly hope we will see it again. Right now, without Azzi, we really need the old Caroline.

Reaction Score
Nika hit a midrange jumper off the dribble! I was stunned that she even took one, but she did and swished it. This is the last element of her offense she needs to develop, and she’s clearly been working on it. I can’t help thinking Paige had some influence in this.

Reaction Score
I need Nika to dribble the ball less. She insists on initiating the offense, even when Paige or KK have the ball, and then she stands in one place and dribble 5-10 seconds off the shot clock for seemingly no reason. Her shooting and attacking have been improved this year but I am going to need her to be less ball dominant in the half court.

Reaction Score
Two issues I noticed with the UConn offense was they are not getting any service out of their high picks meaning they aren't slowing the defensive player down at all and they are not going to the basket at all. That offensive only works if you take the ball to the hoop and force the defense to collapse on the penetrator which results in a wide open three in the flow of the offense.

Defense looked really good again in this game. Minnesota didn't really try to expose the size deficiencies UConn has in the post but I do think that will be exploited this weekend. UConn also had several opportunities to put the ball handler in a lock down trap and didn't take it which was surprising.

UConn scored 60 because they missed a ton of really makeable shots. They missed 5 right at the basket and several more that were shots they should make at a very high percentage. The freshman are looking good against lesser teams but expect them to struggle this weekend and it will come down to how well the veterans play. I do think CD will have a breakout game this weekend and Paige will be Paige so they should do good or at least better. Size inside will definitely be exposed against these teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Swin was also very thin, but aggressive like Q
Freshman year Swin I was a much tougher kid than KK. Don't get me wrong, KK is an outstanding player with a great personality, but Swin is an incredibly tough and driven person. That may be the reason why she has been so successful both in her career and afterwards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A win. No injuries. ...

Did I say no injuries?
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
Freshman year Swin I was a much tougher kid than KK. Don't get me wrong, KK is an outstanding player with a great personality, but Swin is an incredibly tough and driven person. That may be the reason why she has been so successful both in her career and afterwards.
The comparison was with Samuels, not Arnold.

Reaction Score
Again, Nika had 11 points on 5-9 shooting. Aaliyah had 16 points (8-15), Paige had 12 (4-12) and Nika was third high, and the most efficient, scorer. People have been complaining about Nika’s scoring for so long, it’s become automatic, I think
Not only that, but I loved her pull up jumper leading the break. Nobody there? Okay, I'll take it. BY has been complaining for decades about Nika needing to develop her shooting. Well she had the first, the first, successful 3pt shot of the game by UConn. I thought the team was remarkably efficient when three point guards were on the court at the same time.

Reaction Score
Happy to get the win, even if it wasn’t the prettiest.

I feel for Caroline. I still have a lot of hope that she will come on later in the year, but her concussion history worries me so much. I don’t want to sound like a pessimist too much, but even if she is healthy, it seems like sometimes she’s burdened by fears of getting bumped and can’t play as hard or as focused as she wants. And who can blame her for that?

I know Geno and the coaches have supported her the best they can. I just feel for her.
Sometimes I wonder, and maybe it's been considered, if she would benefit from wearing protective headgear like soccer players do when they have concussion issues.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I was wrong! After watching the KK shot...linked in another thread [thank you!] she
releases the ball not from 17-18 feet but very very close to the foul line...say a tad over
15 feet. 3 points for a 15 footer with no foul involved. Go KK! You are fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Offense stalls when Griffin, Ducharme and Muhl are in the same lineup together with Paige and Edwards. They nonscorers. Geno has some talented players but needs to play a lineup that can compete with the elite teams.
Ducharme has struggled and AG had little impact to the game (may be the first time I remember this in her entire career). NM on the other hand, scored 11 (third on the team, 1 point behind paige, shot the second highest percentage on the team behind Ice, and also had 3 assets, and only 2 TOs and 1 foul. NM more than held her own in this game on the scoring end, to go with her normal lock down defense. NM played a very good game overall.

Reaction Score

the offense sputtered bc:

1. Paige had a poor shooting game
2. No Fudd
3. AG and Carol had minimal offensive impact to the game.
4. GA didn't play Q enough for some reason.

Nika was really good however...on both ends of the court which is generally hard to do.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder, and maybe it's been considered, if she would benefit from wearing protective headgear like soccer players do when they have concussion issues.
I believe that Caroline has said in interviews that she is/can be influenced in a variety of ways due to her history of what I will designate as head trauma, for lack of a better term. She can be affected by noise, lights and just playing the game. She is doing the best she can and as long as she is on the court, she is going to be the best she can be. Many feel like this is not enough but as long as she is on the court, opposing teams have to account for what she can be capable of doing. Once they stop doing that, I hope Caroline makes them pay.
So bottom line, I don't know if headgear is a solution.

Reaction Score
Headgear has been suggested on this site over and over and over ... all summer long for example. People even posted images of the various styles available (primarily for other sports). Enough already! If it's an actual possibility and can be worn (via NCAA rules?), she apparently isn't interested.

Reaction Score
It's a sad situation since CD has such a high basketball IQ and is highly skilled. But right now, if I can borrow a great movie line, her brain is trying to write checks that her body can't cash. I'm really surprised Geno is starting her. Maybe she can do certain things in practice, but when it comes to real-time game speed against press-up defense, she can't execute. The drop-off in her game speed is very noticeable and her body posture is very awkward when trying to run/execute plays. If I can see it, I'm sure the coaching staff can as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom