UConn MHOC 23-24 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn MHOC 23-24

Reaction Score
Connelly’s piece is a bit easier on the Huskies than I would be. Yes, teams sometimes disappoint. But I thought this team was also very undisciplined and at times bordering on dirty. I can’t remember a team getting as many majors as they did. They had a string of 3-4 games in a row where somebody sat for 5 minutes. The BC games was the exception but they seemed to give up many times after falling behind. They are desperate for a scorer or two as well as a defensive defenseman. I like Sergeev, but he needs to be more consistent. Or we need to bring in someone who can be. Finally it seemed at times like Cav lost the team for a while. I also thought his use of guys was suspect. I thought Wood really started playing better when the changed up his line mates. Finally you need to win at home. Their inability to win at Toscano is completely inexplicable to me. And it wasn’t just losing. They regularly got blown out. Go .500 at home and this was a borderline tournament team.
A lot of truth here. Fixable I believe though

Reaction Score
It will be interesting (instructive?) to see the cost to renew season tickets, donations included, following a disappointing campaign.

Reaction Score
Connelly’s piece is a bit easier on the Huskies than I would be. Yes, teams sometimes disappoint. But I thought this team was also very undisciplined and at times bordering on dirty. I can’t remember a team getting as many majors as they did. They had a string of 3-4 games in a row where somebody sat for 5 minutes. The BC games was the exception but they seemed to give up many times after falling behind. They are desperate for a scorer or two as well as a defensive defenseman. I like Sergeev, but he needs to be more consistent. Or we need to bring in someone who can be. Finally it seemed at times like Cav lost the team for a while. I also thought his use of guys was suspect. I thought Wood really started playing better when the changed up his line mates. Finally you need to win at home. Their inability to win at Toscano is completely inexplicable to me. And it wasn’t just losing. They regularly got blown out. Go .500 at home and this was a borderline tournament team.
I finally got to the TFIF for the first time for a women's tournament game. Much nicer than Frietas or the Saarinen Roof (although I was a roof fan). But I talked to several people about the atmosphere at men's games. In short it was unanimous that the atmosphere sucks at men's games. And everyone mentioned the same list of what was wrong. The result is that a lot of long time fans are no longer going.

Reaction Score
Toscano needs to become a 2300 student driven frenzy with cheap beer/food. The problem with sports in Connecticut, is there are none outside of Uconn. You mix general fandom and strictly collegiate sports as entertainment, u end up with projects like Gampel (built too small) Toscano (built too small). While being rushed thru to get passed and built based on internal/external pressure. Alumni, donors etc etc are what comprise and drive collegiate programs. In Connecticut, ur trying to mix State and fandom with collegiate sports and it often backfires. A bunch of passionate fans with no other means of fandom but Uconn. Combine that along with no direct connections to the university, you end up with half assed, too many opinions in the room, banter.

UConn basketball is the exception. That is a National Brand. All other sports, are not. You need the “college “ atmosphere and hockey is a perfect example of that.

Reaction Score
Toscano needs to become a 2300 student driven frenzy with cheap beer/food. The problem with sports in Connecticut, is there are none outside of Uconn. You mix general fandom and strictly collegiate sports as entertainment, u end up with projects like Gampel (built too small) Toscano (built too small). While being rushed thru to get passed and built based on internal/external pressure. Alumni, donors etc etc are what comprise and drive collegiate programs. In Connecticut, ur trying to mix State and fandom with collegiate sports and it often backfires. A bunch of passionate fans with no other means of fandom but Uconn. Combine that along with no direct connections to the university, you end up with half assed, too many opinions in the room, banter.

UConn basketball is the exception. That is a National Brand. All other sports, are not. You need the “college “ atmosphere and hockey is a perfect example of that.
This is right. Plus you end up with football in East Hartford! I even think basketball suffers. Yeah, we won the championship and might very well do it again, but watch what happens if we are a 10 seed next year or even miss the tournament. To me the single biggest problem with Toscano. aside from being cursed, is that the crowd is all season ticket holders and frankly, many are still pining for the return of the Whalers. They are older and not passionate in the same way students and alumni are.

I think it is related but UConn needs to end the nostalgia and lose Brass Bonanza after goals! Play the UConn fight song, not the Whalers’ song. Carve out your own identity.

Reaction Score
This is right. Plus you end up with football in East Hartford! I even think basketball suffers. Yeah, we won the championship and might very well do it again, but watch what happens if we are a 10 seed next year or even miss the tournament. To me the single biggest problem with Toscano. aside from being cursed, is that the crowd is all season ticket holders and frankly, many are still pining for the return of the Whalers. They are older and not passionate in the same way students and alumni are.

I think it is related but UConn needs to end the nostalgia and lose Brass Bonanza after goals! Play the UConn fight song, not the Whalers’ song. Carve out your own identity.
I can’t agree more regarding the Whalers and Brass Bonanza…I too wish the Whale was back however I’ve never understood (outside of the XL Center) how and why the song is used pertaining to Uconn. If the Whalers ever came back or another NHL team comes to Hartford, then use it. Let it be, otherwise.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think we overthink things. If the team was better and more offense oriented, Toscano would be louder and the fans would be more into it.
Too many home losses coupled with those home losses being shutouts or near shutouts is just an absolute killer regardless of the venue.

When you go from a lot of fans driving 20 minutes to the XL to see an entertaining product that would actually win at home including against elite teams - to doubling the travel to see a lesser product.....well

Reaction Score
Cavanaigh is going to have a lot of work to do this offseason. They much is for sure. Find me a couple of solid defenseman and a veteran center who can help elevate Woods game.
Easier said than done

Reaction Score
I can’t agree more regarding the Whalers and Brass Bonanza…I too wish the Whale was back however I’ve never understood (outside of the XL Center) how and why the song is used pertaining to Uconn. If the Whalers ever came back or another NHL team comes to Hartford, then use it. Let it be, otherwise.
Sure I am one of those that pine for the return of the NHL to Hartford but the Brass Bonanza is much more than just a Whalers goal song. It's become more of a song that the whole state can get behind. The Hartford Athletic use it for a goal song as well as the Yard Goats when then hit a home run so it's not just UConn that uses it. It's almost as if it's become a song associated with Connecticut and something that brings the people of Connecticut together. UConn is the flagship state school of Connecticut so it makes sense for them to use it. Not sure when the school started using it but I've been going to games for over 20 years and the Huskies were playing it even then back in the days they were still playing at Freitas.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think we overthink things. If the team was better and more offense oriented, Toscano would be louder and the fans would be more into it.
Too many home losses coupled with those home losses being shutouts or near shutouts is just an absolute killer regardless of the venue.

When you go from a lot of fans driving 20 minutes to the XL to see an entertaining product that would actually win at home including against elite teams - to doubling the travel to see a lesser product.....well
There is certainly something to this. I still think Toscano is cursed.

Reaction Score
24-25 is the year that well deserved heat is on Cavanaugh. 11 years, 1 trip to Boston... Time for him to earn his keep. Like the Winnebago man said - "no more BS, especially from me!" Get it done or hit the road - end of story.

DCT

Reaction Score
Sure I am one of those that pine for the return of the NHL to Hartford but the Brass Bonanza is much more than just a Whalers goal song. It's become more of a song that the whole state can get behind. The Hartford Athletic use it for a goal song as well as the Yard Goats when then hit a home run so it's not just UConn that uses it. It's almost as if it's become a song associated with Connecticut and something that brings the people of Connecticut together. UConn is the flagship state school of Connecticut so it makes sense for them to use it. Not sure when the school started using it but I've been going to games for over 20 years and the Huskies were playing it even then back in the days they were still playing at Freitas.
I was a huge Whalers fan but please lose Brass Bonanza. For me it represents another CT failure involving sports. From that dump XL center to the concrete monument in East Hartford. Along with lack of state support for Uconn.
I am a UCONN fan and always will be.

Reaction Score

I couldn't believe how gentle he was on Cav, frankly. Game in and game out we saw the same thing - not nearly enough speed, coughing up pucks to the other team at terrible times (often in our own defensive zone), and a total lack of discipline. The better teams could take enough advantage of the first two and once that happened, our inability to stay disciplined and focused kicked in.

Reaction Score
I was a huge Whalers fan but please lose Brass Bonanza. For me it represents another CT failure involving sports. From that dump XL center to the concrete monument in East Hartford. Along with lack of state support for Uconn.
I am a UCONN fan and always will be.
Agree re: Brass Bonanza - the Whale won one playoff series in 20 years. Being nostalgic for the Whalers is like being nostalgic for the Titanic. Lose the damn song - it may be cursed anyways...

Reaction Score
Agree re: Brass Bonanza - the Whale won one playoff series in 20 years. Being nostalgic for the Whalers is like being nostalgic for the Titanic. Lose the damn song - it may be cursed anyways...

The Whalers had very likeable players but with no revenue sharing or salary cap at the time, small market teams were pretty much doomed. I also blame John Rowland for thinking he had an ace in the hole with the Patriots supposedly coming to Hartford in the background. and so he failed to negotiate a new arena at the time. But to be fair, the renovated HCC was only re opened in 1980 after the roof collapse and was suitable - only 17 years old when the team moved, but suffered from lack of luxury boxes down low and of course way to small concourses that plague it today. The sightline are still great there.

That being said, at best Brass Bonanza should only be played on "Whalers Night" at the XL. I was very surprised to hear it at Tuscano what it opened and was very disappointed. I like the games at the XL much better than at Tuscano for myriad reasons that have been stated and restated, but it's really got a pro game feel to it, which is fine, but it doesn't carry a college hockey vibe. The thing is, neither does Tuscano. If I were to classify the feel there it's nouveau stale, but the first thing that should have been done was to begin the process of developing a college hockey atmosphere and culture, and that easily starts with the goal song and celebrations.

(Though I have imagined that Brass Bonanza could have been adapted to use the classic "Hey, You Suck" chant so many other crowds use to taunt the opposition :p)

Reaction Score
Good for Rees. Solid player for us. I unknowingly talked to his dad in the beer line a few weeks ago. Great guy.

And good for Flynn also

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom