UConn Men's Basketball team has fired S & C Coach Travis Illian | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Men's Basketball team has fired S & C Coach Travis Illian

C

Chief00

Facey and Brimah looked a lot more muscular this past season. We didn't have our usual "skinny" team at all this past season and that includes the freshman. I don't understand .

Just a guess, Benedict looked at where they were as seniors and it did not pass the eye test nor should it. So it was probably more about that and than the relative improvement Jr to Sr year. Bottomline, Brimah was still getting thrown around.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Maybe injuries, which in all reality would have very little to do with him. Who knows maybe he actually is leaving on his own accord?

The injury thing blew a hole in his academic theories. Before this year it was you may not think you see big strong guys but your eyes are lying. He believed he improved flexibility and conditioning - not necessarily making you bench more weight and built visible muscles but allowing you to do more reps of moderate weights but more importantly do isolation work on muscles and tendons that are not necessarily usually the focus of traditional strength programs but are important in his academic theories and with his gymnastic background. But, the unfortunate injuries took away that argument even if they weren't his fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

We talk a lot about the strength, but another area we failed in this yr was conditioning. Jalen was often winded by the first under 4. Thats unacceptable i hope he works seriously on his conditioning this offseason
Very true.

Reaction Score
We talk a lot about the strength, but another area we failed in this yr was conditioning. Jalen was often winded by the first under 4. Thats unacceptable i hope he works seriously on his conditioning this offseason
With about 1/2 the number of allowed scholarship players most of the season and playing close to every minute of every game when healthy just might have had a toll on Jalen and most players ...

C

Chief00

Quite frankly - long overdue. Gymnastics have no place in college basketball. Heck, Travis sticking around was one of the main reasons we lost Bunky - so now our recruiting is also taking a hit.
Man you ain't right

Reaction Score
With about 1/2 the number of allowed scholarship players most of the season and playing close to every minute of every game when healthy just might have had a toll on Jalen and most players ...
He still shouldnt be winded at the first under 4... Purvis avged the same minutes, didnt miss a gama and never seemed as winded as jalen

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I love Jalen but he strikes me as the kind of kid who has always been able to get by with god given gifts and hasn't put much thought or effort into conditioning or strength training. Guys like Kemba, Bazz, Boat were as fresh in minute 40 as at the tip. Jalen constantly looks tired though.

Reaction Score
I love Jalen but he strikes me as the kind of kid who has always been able to get by with god given gifts and hasn't put much thought or effort into conditioning or strength training. Guys like Kemba, Bazz, Boat were as fresh in minute 40 as at the tip. Jalen constantly looks tired though.

It's part of his attitude. He's a laid back guy that always just had fun playing the game.

He needs to mature a little and start treating this game like a job. Maturity factors are one of the big reasons our guards have made a leap between sophomore and junior year.

Reaction Score
Facey and Brimah looked a lot more muscular this past season. We didn't have our usual "skinny" team at all this past season and that includes the freshman. I don't understand . I guess someone just had to get fired.
A lot of muscle /= good conditioning necessarily.

Reaction Score
The injury thing blew a hole in his academic theories. Before this year it was you may not think you see big strong guys but your eyes are lying. He believed he improved flexibility and conditioning - not necessarily making you bench more weight and built visible muscles but allowing you to do more reps of moderate weights but more importantly do isolation work on muscles and tendons that are not necessarily usually the focus of traditional strength programs but are important in his academic theories and with his gymnastic background. But, the unfortunate injuries took away that argument even if they weren't his fault.
Big time gymnasts are usually pretty damn strong and can throw around some weight, our guys got pushed all over the floor this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The injury thing blew a hole in his academic theories. Before this year it was you may not think you see big strong guys but your eyes are lying. He believed he improved flexibility and conditioning - not necessarily making you bench more weight and built visible muscles but allowing you to do more reps of moderate weights but more importantly do isolation work on muscles and tendons that are not necessarily usually the focus of
We talk a lot about the strength, but another area we failed in this yr was conditioning. Jalen was often winded by the first under 4.

Interesting...we won a National Championship in 2014 because of that conditioning. The players went out of their way to mention it. Boatright even gave 'Coach Travis' a shout out. Good thing we had Travis, or no 2014 ship.

Oh and the injury thing is overblown. If guys were pulling muscles, OK. But ACLs can and do happen to anybody, even the most flexible strong guys in the world. Pre existing shoulder injuries are not on the coach. Pre existing runners knees are not on the coach. Concussions aren't on the coach. Ankle injuries aren't either. And so on...

If they want a new S&C, then fine, I've no problem with that at all. But the white washing of all this is funny.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A lot of muscle /= good conditioning necessarily.

But is essential for the job of defending the paint. Weight matters in holding your ground. Neither of them had enough muscle even if they finally put some on after three years of nothing.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
People questioning Jalens conditioning need to check his minutes per game this past season. Also, try factoring in that he was our only point guard as a sophomore And our best player on a team that played 7-8 players this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom