UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here' | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here'

Reaction Score
We're here to win, not coddle egos. If they aren't good enough to play, they won't play. Ross, Stewart and Singare knew exactly what kind of team they were joining.
Yeah, the defending national champs.

Reaction Score
I’m open to being wrong, but when I ask for these examples of freshmen Calhoun was so hard on, like everyone says, that succeeded later everyone is quiet. But when I make a small mistake like saying Dehnam started over Tony I get 6 replies saying the same thing.

So clearly people just don’t actually believe what they are saying. Because if they had an answer they would’ve for sure said it. Haha
Do you think Signare has no chance ever being good here because he has two better players above him and won’t see the floor much this year?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m open to being wrong,
It will serve you to stay open.
but when I ask for these examples of freshmen Calhoun was so hard on, like everyone says, that succeeded later everyone is quiet.
Don't impute any special meaning to that.
But when I make a small mistake like saying Dehnam started over Tony I get 6 replies saying the same thing.
Are you saying that you were wrong?
So clearly people just don’t actually believe what they are saying.
"[C]clearly" does not apply, except insofar as you have drawn such a conclusion based only upon what you are thinking, and not anything that you have presented with clarity to others and with which there is a consensus of agreement.
Because if they had an answer they would’ve for sure said it.
Upon what basis do you draw such a conclusion? Nothing that I can see.
Haha
Even if it's no more than cracking yourself up, laughter is good medicine for body and soul.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m open to being wrong, but when I ask for these examples of freshmen Calhoun was so hard on, like everyone says, that succeeded later everyone is quiet. But when I make a small mistake like saying Dehnam started over Tony I get 6 replies saying the same thing.

So clearly people just don’t actually believe what they are saying. Because if they had an answer they would’ve for sure said it. Haha
Albert Mouring

I’m sure there are others but it doesn’t matter. There was no portal then and no 5th year guys. So it’s absolutely pointless to compare this season with that era. In Calhoun‘s time we would not have Cam or Newton on the team. So guess where those minutes would go?

Calhoun also tended to fill out classes with lower ranked recruits. Hurley hasn’t done that nearly as much. With the portal you don’t need to keep those 3 stars and hope they are good by Sr. year.

Reaction Score
I was inclined to agree think the guy was an uncle or something but poster since 2011! Just a dude who reps Seattle very hard apparently.
I’ll admit to that. I do.
I’m involved with a lot of the basketball community here and know people who know Jaylin but I don’t know Jaylin personally

Also, very excited to see a hometown kid actually choose my favorite program for once. It’s rare to see a kid from here go to UConn so I really want to see work out for everyone involved

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Stewart is no stranger to elite competition. He will absolutely have a positive impact in bigger games as well. Just because he hasn’t had that opportunity yet doesn’t mean it’s impossible or even unlikely. Have a great weekend
Geez, give it a rest.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Albert Mouring

I’m sure there are others but it doesn’t matter. There was no portal then and no 5th year guys. So it’s absolutely pointless to compare this season with that era. In Calhoun‘s time we would not have Cam or Newton on the team. So guess where those minutes would go?

Calhoun also tended to fill out classes with lower ranked recruits. Hurley hasn’t done that nearly as much. With the portal you don’t need to keep those 3 stars and hope they are good by Sr. year.
I appreciate the example. That’s 4 in an over 20 year span.

The point is though that that’s not a philosophy Calhoun typically subscribed to as far as making guys earn time before they played.

It’s actually kind of disrespectful to how consistently he had young guys prepared to play and play well by saying so.

I don’t think much about what transfers we would’ve wanted because I couldn’t think about wanting to start someone over a Josh Boone just because the portal was available. We were just fine without it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The point is though that that’s not a philosophy Calhoun typically subscribed to as far as making guys earn time before they played.

It’s actually kind of disrespectful to how consistently he had young guys prepared to play and play well by saying so.
He had no choice. There weren’t enough players. It was pretty common that they played less early in the season and more later in the season. Which is how it was for Hawkins his freshman year. Calhoun had a short leash and yelled at those guys. But he had to put them back in because he didn’t have super senior transfers.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He had no choice. There weren’t enough players. It was pretty common that they played less early in the season and more later in the season. Which is how it was for Hawkins his freshman year. Calhoun had a short leash and yelled at those guys. But he had to put them back in because he didn’t have super senior transfers.
You say had no choice like he wasn’t very successful doing so.

Reaction Score
I think I just had an aneurysm reading this thread. Most freshman don’t even hit their stride until February, especially at this level. You can see very clearly that Stewart will get to that point, but he’s still learning and when this team is playing against top level competition like a KU or UNC, you shorten the rotation and play your best players. Why is that controversial? You don’t want to destroy a kids confidence by throwing him into the fire in a place the Phog. Guys like Ball and Castle are definitely a couple months ahead of Stewart, likely because Stewart arrived in Storrs late and then missed a month of practice with that injury.

If he’s not giving us 8-10 MPG by February, I’d be shocked. The talent is there. Give him a couple months to keep developing. He’s gonna be a really good player

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's almost like something has changed in college basketball between the early 2000s and now...
I mean you can make a pretty good argument that the teams and players during that time in college hoops are much better than they are today.

But that’s a whole other long discussion.

Reaction Score

Here’s my take: I don’t think you are old enough to have watched many Calhoun teams. Period. Because if you were you wouldn’t be making this ridiculous argument. End of story.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Here’s my take: I don’t think you are old enough to have watched many Calhoun teams. Period. Because if you were you wouldn’t be making this ridiculous argument. End of story.
Another statement from you with nothing tangible being said I see.

Pretty on brand.

Your reasons for it being ridiculous “trust me bro.”

Reaction Score

I don’t think much about what transfers we would’ve wanted because I couldn’t think about wanting to start someone over a Josh Boone just because the portal was available. We were just fine without it.
How old are you?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How old are you?
1702187950661.gif

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Hurley's philosophy seems pretty clear; I've rarely heard him discuss bench minutes without discussing mistakes... Not a question of talent, it's a matter of doing the things that fit what the team is doing. Takes time for everybody, more for some than others. And there are some young rotation players that we need to develop faster. All this while, you know, winning games and stuff. Despite his inability to win a close one (/s), I'm gonna trust the coach and staff.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It’s pretty well documented how much JC invested in freshmen whether they were ready or not.

He did not have this same mindset.

Only when he didn't have options :)

Pretty much every four years he had a freshmen heavy team and had to play them

Jim's standards for production were second to no one's

Reaction Score
Someone better tell EC (Matthews) Jared (Terrell), Jarvis (Garrett), Cyril (Langevine), (Jeff) Dowtin, and Hassan (Martin) that their college coach never plays freshmen. Is that even what the discussion is at this point?

A way more interesting tangent to go on is thinking about Calhoun coaching with the way the current game is. My guess is he would have peaced out like Wright and them and enjoyed a well-earned break.

In the meantime, I might just watch the championship game from last year today and continue to enjoy this 9-1 start.

Reaction Score
“He does it all the time in practice, we see him being aggressive in practice, just confident and making tough moves, so just to see that happen in the game is awesome and getting momentum for him going into Seattle, his hometown,” Karaban said. “Just super excited for him and he’s always going to continue to get better and I think he’ll just do great things continuing in the season.”

Alternate access:
How UConn freshman Jaylin Stewart earned trust of coaches, teammates ahead of return home to Seattle

caw

Reaction Score
Someone better tell EC (Matthews) Jared (Terrell), Jarvis (Garrett), Cyril (Langevine), (Jeff) Dowtin, and Hassan (Martin) that their college coach never plays freshmen. Is that even what the discussion is at this point?

A way more interesting tangent to go on is thinking about Calhoun coaching with the way the current game is. My guess is he would have peaced out like Wright and them and enjoyed a well-earned break.

In the meantime, I might just watch the championship game from last year today and continue to enjoy this 9-1 start.

I don't get the narrative either. Hurley has historically given freshmen a good amount of PT if it's earned and there is time for them to play. Below are the freshmen Hurley has had at UConn. Literally only five did not see significant PT as freshmen (Springs, Johnson, Diggins, Hasson and Romouglu). Of the freshmen Hurley has recruited only two have transferred out after their freshman years: Hasson and Diggins. I don't count Floyd as he never played for UConn. Hasson was a unique situation being a last minute recruit from Europe and I don't recall what the issue with Diggins was but I think it had to do with Newton being recruited (correct me if I am wrong).

At UConn:
Adams (12 MPG) Transferred out after graduating

Bouknight (25 MPG) NBA
Gaffney (20 MPG) Transferred out after three years
Akok (28 MPG) Transferred out after three years and multiple injuries
Springs (2.5 MPG) Transferred out after graduating

Sanogo (17 MPG) Two way NBA
Jackson (16 MPG) NBA

Hawkins (15 MPG) NBA
Johnson (5 MPG in 13 games) Current sixth man
Diggins (5 MPG in 9 games) Transferred out after one year

Karaban (29 MPG) Starter
Clingan (14 MPG) Starter
Romouglu (1.5 MPG 20 games) Current bench player
Hasson (1 MPG 11 games) Transferred out after one year

This year:
Castle (18 MPG four games including a minute restriction game)
Ball (25 MPG)
Stewart (10 MPG 8 games)
Ross (9 MPG 7 games)
Singare (2 MPG in 6 games)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member