UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here' | The Boneyard

UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here'

Reaction Score
Is there any consequences for tampering or is it just kind of accepted as part of the portal now?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You know I love Hurley but he is kind of being unrealistic with this comment. I understand that Stewart and Ross probably have not shown him/them (coaching staff) that they are ready. But we just need one of them not to be a liability. I do think he could have done a better job to date to give one of the a 7-8 minute runs. When Stewart has played I am seeing a kid that wants to show he can compete but then rushes. Then gets pulled. Maybe I am a bit out of line with the critique on player development. But more minutes for one of them seems like it could have happened. It's early so I won’t comment on any player specifically but we all know we are going to be susceptible to portal impact. It is what it is and how the team building game is now played. But between SC, DC and AK. One will be back. And it won’t be SC.

Reaction Score
You know I love Hurley but he is kind of being unrealistic with this comment. I understand that Stewart and Ross probably have not shown him/them (coaching staff) that they are ready. But we just need one of them not to be a liability. I do think he could have done a better job to date to give one of the a 7-8 minute runs. When Stewart has played I am seeing a kid that wants to show he can compete but then rushes. Then gets pulled. Maybe I am a bit out of line with the critique on player development. But more minutes for one of them seems like it could have happened. It's early so I won’t comment on any player specifically but we all know we are going to be susceptible to portal impact. It is what it is and how the team building game is now played. But between SC, DC and AK. One will be back. And it won’t be SC.
Dude relax.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
In reality there are no real consequences in college sports for tampering, cheating or doing anything illegal or immoral!
No consequences for academic fraud either

However, if you self report a failing APR score, they penalize you then they change the rules and penalize you again

Reaction Score
I think people sometimes try to legitimize any byproduct of the new era in college sports. The transfer portal is far from perfect and the early mid season tampering is one of its flaws. I hate the phrase 'business is business' because it basically justifies being a soulless sketchball.

Reaction Score
I’ll fine with how Hurley has handled his lineups. Stewart and Ross have not shown enough to play them any significant minutes against major competition but to date they have averaged 8-9 mpg.. Btw every team is susceptible to “portal impact” This team is 8-1 and looks like a title contender even thought we have not been healthy or played our best ball yet.

Reaction Score
They'll play in the second half today when we're up 30, but don't expect minutes against real competition (e.g. Gonzaga next week).

As for the portal? Who cares. Generally speaking, if players are good enough to contribute as freshmen, they'll play. If they're not good enough to contribute as freshmen, it's unlikely they'd be major contributors down the road anyway, and them leaving because of dissatisfaction over minutes is no big loss.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, defensive centric coaches like hurley don’t let players see the court until they’ve mastered defensive rotations snd shown toughness required. It takes time to learn this. Especially to Dan’s elite standards. Samson looks great on high hedge now, but guaranteed he was lost early on in career

Reaction Score
It’s like we don’t remember the famous Calhoun hook. One mistake and you were out for the half. His players turned out pretty good under that pressure. It works for Hurley too.

Reaction Score
Jayden had a quote when he committed about how the staff sold him on working his ass off so he can compete for minutes as an upperclassmen. Granted, we were his best offer at the time and he had yet to blow up. But he has the right mentality.

And Stew was the last on campus right? I imagine that set him back a smidge too. Tate of OSP mentioned Luk glowing about Stew and how he rarely gives praise. It’s comin.

And I’m not worried when a freshman can’t break through immediately. With the portal allowing teams with any aspirations to plug holes immediately, we are going to see less borderline ready being thrown into the fire.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It’s like we don’t remember the famous Calhoun hook. One mistake and you were out for the half. His players turned out pretty good under that pressure. It works for Hurley too.
JC didn't have the portal to deal with.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, defensive centric coaches like hurley don’t let players see the court until they’ve mastered defensive rotations snd shown toughness required. It takes time to learn this. Especially to Dan’s elite standards. Samson looks great on high hedge now, but guaranteed he was lost early on in career

The first praise I heard Hurley give Dauster the other night was “he makes so few mistakes on the defensive side.”

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s pretty well documented how much JC invested in freshmen whether they were ready or not.

He did not have this same mindset.

Reaction Score
Can’t yet run a 5k, maybe just do a marathon. I am convinced that at least a couple of you think this is how things should go.

Players develop in ways other than just game time. Some players show they’re still learning in practice, others practice great but can’t yet generalize to game action. I trust this staff to know the difference. There is so much talent on this roster. The players know what’s up.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
There are level-ups involved as well...
  • don't be a liability on defense
  • don't stand and watch on offense
  • find your spot to make an impact
  • take over and dominate

SB just getting started on lvl 3
Stewart and Ross prob still working on lvl 1
We're thinking Castle came in at lvl 4, can't wait to see it

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Please don’t do this again. Respectfully.
My bad it’s just a huge peeve of mine as you’re aware of.

Hilton and Deandre were starters way before they were ready for Pete’s sake. There definitely was no “earning” playing time then. It was always guys get better by playing.

• Haha
Reactions: caw

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom