UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here' | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here'

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
3 of our starters have rings on their fingers. Freshmen not only have to earn the trust of the coaching staff but the trust of the other guys on the court. If the superior talent doesn’t trust the freshmen on the court, you’re playing down a man.

I doubt Stewart transfers. I hope Ross doesn’t, but he’ll have to be rerecruited by this staff. Really want them both to stay.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to be happy until we have an all freshmen starting 5 ;)

Seriously though, give Stewart or Ross consistent PT to give Karaban a breather (past just this game) and get their feet wet and we’re good lmao.

I’d like 5-10 minutes against Gonzaga from one those guys. If they’ve been working hard and giving the effort asked of them, reward them with some court time in the big games.

If they aren’t giving the effort asked of them that’s another story but I don’t think Samson does two

Reaction Score
3 of our starters have rings on their fingers. Freshmen not only have to earn the trust of the coaching staff but the trust of the other guys on the court. If the superior talent doesn’t trust the freshmen on the court, you’re playing down a man.

I doubt Stewart transfers. I hope Ross doesn’t, but he’ll have to be rerecruited by this staff. Really want them both to stay.

When Ross committed he said they staff sold him on earning minutes year 2 or 3.

Reaction Score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Stewart is no stranger to elite competition.

His high school schedule was worse than every other freshman. He played EYBL, just like 90% of our recruits do. Not sure what you're getting at here.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score

Where is this even coming from?

Reaction Score
Stewart is no stranger to elite competition.

Every one of these guys was the man in high school. None of them are strangers to elite competition. I thought it was weird when you listed Stewart’s high school accomplishments as a reason that he should be playing more. It’s like when someone posts a video of some high school kid and says he wishes Solo would attack the cup like the kid in the high school video.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Where is this even coming from?
That’s how the game is now. Retaining a full 5 man recruiting class (minus castle, of course) is exceptionally difficult with the portal what it is now. You have the head coach saying plainly that tampering happens and these kids start to be recruited by other programs in December. That means you’re going to have to re-recruit guys.

Reaction Score
That’s how the game is now. Retaining a full 5 man recruiting class (minus castle, of course) is exceptionally difficult with the portal what it is now. You have the head coach saying plainly that tampering happens and these kids start to be recruited by other programs in December. That means you’re going to have to re-recruit guys.
We all know tampering happens. We also know we're losing four or five starters.

Speculating about kids transferring seems ridiculous to me, it used to not be allowed on the board.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Hurley take a cue from his college football counterparts and give the bench players a freer reign to do there thing despite the lopsided score.

In football, the backups run the full offense complete with plenty of throwing. This gives the backups something to crow about and keeps them happy. The cupcakes just have to understand it is a business decision and not personal.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
We all know tampering happens. We also know we're losing four or five starters.

Speculating about kids transferring seems ridiculous to me, it used to not be allowed on the board.
I don’t think saying the staff is likely going to have to re-recruit Ross to some extent amounts to transfer speculation.

We’re going to have to re-recruit every freshman who gets limited minutes, every year, for the foreseeable future. Didn’t think that was that hot of a take.

Reaction Score
Every one of these guys was the man in high school. None of them are strangers to elite competition. I thought it was weird when you listed Stewart’s high school accomplishments as a reason that he should be playing more. It’s like when someone posts a video of some high school kid and says he wishes Solo would attack the cup like the kid in the high school video.

I only did that and continue to point it out because people here keep making the point that games against teams like Kansas and Texas etc are above his level.

I don’t think that’s the case.

My point is he has played in games against that type of talent pool and he was also a starter on one of the best AAU teams in the country.

I am fine if people want to debate his playing time and I see they’re point but I don’t get the higher competition/above his talent level argument.

I do relate more to the not understanding defensive assignments type of argument for his lack of playing time or the fact that they’re are just great players ahead of him.

Honestly, I can’t believe I’m having to argue such silly minute points but I’m only doing so because my argument has been blown completely out of proportion and attacked.

I’ve never argued that he should be a huge rotational piece just get a few minutes against higher competition and Hurley seems to be alluding to the fact that he will soon.

Edit:

I should also state and admit that I was a little bothered when Rob Dauster and a few posters on this board (not saying you) implied that the competition out here is a tier below and that guys like Stewart coming from here take longer to adjust.

That irked me because not only is this notion not true but in fact you could almost argue the exact opposite as the density of NBA and pro level players per person out here is among the highest in the country. There have been articles written about this.

So the homer in me felt a little insulted if I’m being completely honest with you

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I only did that and continue to point it out because people here keep making the point that games against teams like Kansas and Texas etc are above his level.

My point is he has played in games against that type of talent pool and he was also a starter on one of the best AAU teams in the country.

I am fine if people want to debate his playing time and I see they’re point but I don’t get the higher competition/above his talent level argument.

I do relate more to the not understanding defensive assignments type of argument for his lack of playing time or the fact that they’re are just great players ahead of him.

Honestly, I can’t believe I’m having to argue such silly minute points but I’m only doing so because my argument has been blown completely out of proportion and attacked.

I’ve never argued that he should be a huge rotational piece just get a few minutes against higher competition and Hurley seems to be alluding to the fact that he will soon.
Absolutely. It’s not a talent thing. The talent is there. Both Hurley and Stewart have remarked that it’s a pretty massive transition from high school to the offense and defense Hurley runs, and Stewart is still learning. There’s a really steep learning curve and Stewart got here late and missed some time with injury. He’s going to be there soon, and today was a really good step forward.

Reaction Score
I don’t think saying the staff is likely going to have to re-recruit Ross to some extent amounts to transfer speculation.

We’re going to have to re-recruit every freshman who gets limited minutes, every year, for the foreseeable future. Didn’t think that was that hot of a take.
Your last paragraph is all transfer speculation. You're already making your picks on who stays and who might not stay.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Your last paragraph is all transfer speculation. You're already making your picks on who stays and who might not stay.
Hurley going out there and saying “my guys are already being recruited by other schools and I have the tell them not to pick up the phone” and expecting us to not talk about it would be absurd.

Reaction Score
You know I love Hurley but he is kind of being unrealistic with this comment. I understand that Stewart and Ross probably have not shown him/them (coaching staff) that they are ready. But we just need one of them not to be a liability. I do think he could have done a better job to date to give one of the a 7-8 minute runs. When Stewart has played I am seeing a kid that wants to show he can compete but then rushes. Then gets pulled. Maybe I am a bit out of line with the critique on player development. But more minutes for one of them seems like it could have happened. It's early so I won’t comment on any player specifically but we all know we are going to be susceptible to portal impact. It is what it is and how the team building game is now played. But between SC, DC and AK. One will be back. And it won’t be SC.
My bad it’s just a huge peeve of mine as you’re aware of.

Hilton and Deandre were starters way before they were ready for Pete’s sake. There definitely was no “earning” playing time then. It was always guys get better by playing.
Deandre Daniels barely got game time his freshman year . Hilton split time at the 4 his freshman year with a bunch of guys (including Marcus White and Shamond Tools) because no one won the position. Pet peeves are fine, but this one doesn’t even seem based on anything.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So to recap the chain of events. On Friday, Hurley tells the press " "We want to get to nine (deep)...but I'm only going to play the players that are ready to play." On Saturday, Stewart gets extended time and produces. After the game, Hurley has that quote above "He becomes a guy who can now get into the rotation coming out of today.” I'd be shocked if he doesn't get real minutes against Gonzaga.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hey does anyone have a good explanation on why JC started freshman Dehnam Brown over senior Tony Robertson?

Tony started all games from the year before on a team that was 1st place in the Big East and went to the elite 8.
Um, they don’t play the same position. Tony was behind sophomore Ben Gordon. Brown was 6’6” 220. Tony was 6’2.

Reaction Score
Um, they don’t play the same position. Tony was behind sophomore Ben Gordon. Brown was 6’6” 220. Tony was 6’2.

Hey, he’s explained to everyone earlier in the thread that “he’s done his research” on all these things so he can’t possibly be wrong about the facts he’s presenting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Edit:

I should also state and admit that I was a little bothered when Rob Dauster and a few posters on this board (not saying you) implied that the competition out here is a tier below and that guys like Stewart coming from here take longer to adjust.

That irked me because not only is this notion not true but in fact you could almost argue the exact opposite as the density of NBA and pro level players per person out here is among the highest in the country. There have been articles written about this.

So the homer in me felt a little insulted if I’m being completely honest with you
I think you’re taking it wrong. It’s not that those games are above his level, they‘re games with very little margin for error. So guys who adapting to the college game don’t tend to play much in those games, unless they have to. Solo played a lot because he had to. Castle is a special case, more ready than the others and expected to be a top 5 pick in the draft. Solo is next most ready.

Elmarko Jackson is a 5* McD AA who is only starting for Kansas because they had to kick Morris off the team. I don’t think any of us have anything but high expectations for Stewart and Ross next year. You come across a bit like the hockey dad who is upset his kid isn't playing over that skinny Gretzky kid.

Reaction Score
I think you’re taking it wrong. It’s not that those games are above his level, they‘re games with very little margin for error. So guys who adapting to the college game don’t tend to play much in those games, unless they have to. Solo played a lot because he had to. Castle is a special case, more ready than the others and expected to be a top 5 pick in the draft. Solo is next most ready.

Elmarko Jackson is a 5* McD AA who is only starting for Kansas because they had to kick Morris off the team. I don’t think any of us have anything but high expectations for Stewart and Ross next year. You come across a bit like the hockey dad who is upset his kid isn't playing over that skinny Gretzky kid.

I was inclined to agree think the guy was an uncle or something but poster since 2011! Just a dude who reps Seattle very hard apparently.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was inclined to agree think the guy was an uncle or something but poster since 2011! Just a dude who reps Seattle very hard apparently.
I’m sure. But it comes across similarly.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
In the NIL/portal world we live in what are the odds of keeping an entire five man recruiting class for their sophomore years? I hope all five stay but my guess is it does not happen. College sports are living in a brand new world. I think UConn and DH and staff are in a good place and I will put my faith in them.

Reaction Score
In the NIL/portal world we live in what are the odds of keeping an entire five man recruiting class for their sophomore years? I hope all five stay but my guess is it does not happen. College sports are living in a brand new world. I think UConn and DH and staff are in a good place and I will put my faith in them.
There's a 0% chance all 5 freshman from this year stay for their sophomore year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hey, he’s explained to everyone earlier in the thread that “he’s done his research” on all these things so he can’t possibly be wrong about the facts he’s presenting.
I’m open to being wrong, but when I ask for these examples of freshmen Calhoun was so hard on, like everyone says, that succeeded later everyone is quiet. But when I make a small mistake like saying Dehnam started over Tony I get 6 replies saying the same thing.

So clearly people just don’t actually believe what they are saying. Because if they had an answer they would’ve for sure said it. Haha

Reaction Score
We have two 5th year players, 2 sophomores and then 2 higher rated recruits than Stewart and Ross. I can’t imagine they came here expecting big minutes off the rip.
Put another way, we lost 60% of our starters for this year’s team. We have to be 100% sure our starting 5 have plenty of time to gel. That’s been tough with injuries to Clingan, Alex, Castle and Cam to start the season off. This is the first game that the aforementioned players have all looked healthier at the same time. Danny has time to blend in the backups and I think will do so, starting after the Zags game. Our first five Big East opponents aren’t very good. This team will meld. It’s only early December.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom