UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here'

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There are level-ups involved as well...
  • don't be a liability on defense
  • don't stand and watch on offense
  • find your spot to make an impact
  • take over and dominate

SB just getting started on lvl 3
Stewart and Ross prob still working on lvl 1
We're thinking Castle came in at lvl 4, can't wait to see it
I'd imagine the bar for a freshman's readiness is set by the player he's competing with...

Right. Any Ross or Stewart minutes are at the expense of Karaban, Castle and Ball. I still go back to Hawkins and the difference between freshman and sophomore years with his foot work.
In high level D1 and NBA you can't come off a screen, catch the ball and then get your feet set to be a shooting or dribbling threat. You catch and then set your feet and your defender has reovered and the defense has rotated. You have to move with purpose and be ready to catch and shoot or catch and dribble to keep the defense off schedule.
I know Stewart and Ross are not the same player and do not have the same skillset but regardless they are competing for minutes at the same spot. I don't see any normal situation this season where they are both on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
To me, especially at the end, the Calhoun quick hook had affected confidence of players, who in some cases, became too afraid to make mistakes. Maybe those players just weren’t tough enough for older JC.

Hurley seems to be more carrot than stick on gamedays towards our players actual play, but he doesn’t put you out there until he KNOWS you wont hurt on team D.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
To me, especially at the end, the Calhoun quick hook had affected confidence of players, who in some cases, became too afraid to make mistakes. Maybe those players just weren’t tough enough for older JC.
Genuinely curious because maybe I am missing something, who were these players?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My bad it’s just a huge peeve of mine as you’re aware of.

Hilton and Deandre were starters way before they were ready for Pete’s sake. There definitely was no “earning” playing time then. It was always guys get better by playing.
Yeah, but Ray never started a game his freshman year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head, Michael LeBlanc missed a defensive assignment (I believe against Pitt) and got nailed to the bench for about 12-15 games. Ben Eaves did the same (I think it was against PC) and never saw the court again for UConn.

That's just off the top of my head, there were many more, including a few who stuck it out at the school.

Reaction Score
Calhoun would pull people for missing a box out if he was trying to send a message. He might have given the freshman more of a chance than Hurley but he didn’t let them play 25 min of crap basketball.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, but Ray never started a game his freshman year.
I don’t see how that’s relevant. The point was JC played guys before they were ready or earned it.

Besides, a different freshman started over Ray that year and he was still the 2nd leading scorer on a team with Donny and Donyell as upperclassmen.
Off the top of my head, Michael LeBlanc missed a defensive assignment (I believe against Pitt) and got nailed to the bench for about 12-15 games. Ben Eaves did the same (I think it was against PC) and never saw the court again for UConn.

That's just off the top of my head, there were many more, including a few who stuck it out at the school.
Are there any success stories? Those guys probably just weren’t good enough if they never went on to make an impact.

Reaction Score
We have two 5th year players, 2 sophomores and then 2 higher rated recruits than Stewart and Ross. I can’t imagine they came here expecting big minutes off the rip.

Reaction Score
I don’t see how that’s relevant. The point was JC played guys before they were ready or earned it.

Besides, a different freshman started over Ray that year and he was still the 2nd leading scorer on a team with Donny and Donyell as upperclassmen.

Are there any success stories? Those guys probably just weren’t good enough if they never went on to make an impact.
Last week you were complaining about Ball then he hit some threes and did some slashing like you wanted. If Stewart and Ross get 15 min today are you gonna be complaining that Signare is not get PT tomorrow?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Last week you were complaining about Ball then he hit some threes and did some slashing like you wanted. If Stewart and Ross get 15 min today are you gonna be complaining that Signare is not get PT tomorrow?
I’m not going to be happy until we have an all freshmen starting 5 ;)

Seriously though, give Stewart or Ross consistent PT to give Karaban a breather (past just this game) and get their feet wet and we’re good lmao.

I’d like 5-10 minutes against Gonzaga from one those guys. If they’ve been working hard and giving the effort asked of them, reward them with some court time in the big games.

If they aren’t giving the effort asked of them that’s another story but I don’t think that’s the case.

Reaction Score
ding ding. This is what hwarrior is overlooking

Hilton had to beat out Mike Hayes for his starting spot as a freshman. No offense to Mike Hayes but Calhoun played freshmen like Hilton because he had to. And Hilton’s spot minutes stayed pretty much the same until his senior year. This idea that Calhoun had a long leash with freshmen is truly the craziest bit of revisionist history that’s been in this board in a long time but the guy is so committed to it it’s almost impressive.

Reaction Score
We have two 5th year players, 2 sophomores and then 2 higher rated recruits than Stewart and Ross. I can’t imagine they came here expecting big minutes off the rip.
I think it’s 3 5th year players.

Reaction Score

Hurley plays plays Ball and SC a lot, JC did not give all of his freshmen minutes each year, that’s just not true.

Some got minutes, some didn’t, just like Hurley

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hilton had to beat out Mike Hayes for his starting spot as a freshman. No offense to Mike Hayes but Calhoun played freshmen like Hilton because he had to. And Hilton’s spot minutes stayed pretty much the same until his senior year. This idea that Calhoun had a long leash with freshmen is truly the craziest bit of revisionist history that’s been in this board in a long time but the guy is so committed to it it’s almost impressive.
I agree, JC wasn't about developing freshman on the court. It was solely if the player could help win that particular game. Ray Allen never started as a freshman. Hilton did but only started once as a soph and a junior. I honestly don't remember but it seems as a frosh he was playing the Okwandu/Olander role.

Reaction Score
You know I love Hurley but he is kind of being unrealistic with this comment. I understand that Stewart and Ross probably have not shown him/them (coaching staff) that they are ready. But we just need one of them not to be a liability. I do think he could have done a better job to date to give one of the a 7-8 minute runs. When Stewart has played I am seeing a kid that wants to show he can compete but then rushes. Then gets pulled. Maybe I am a bit out of line with the critique on player development. But more minutes for one of them seems like it could have happened. It's early so I won’t comment on any player specifically but we all know we are going to be susceptible to portal impact. It is what it is and how the team building game is now played. But between SC, DC and AK. One will be back. And it won’t be SC.

We're here to win, not coddle egos. If they aren't good enough to play, they won't play. Ross, Stewart and Singare knew exactly what kind of team they were joining.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hurley plays plays Ball and SC a lot, JC did not give all of his freshmen minutes each year, that’s just not true.

Some got minutes, some didn’t, just like Hurley
I think the last time this was discussed it was brought up that the only freshmen who went on to contribute later who did not receive consistent minutes their first year were 3 guys from the early 90s.

If JC thought you were talented enough to be good later on, he pretty much made sure you got your feet wet.

He was far closer to being a baptism by fire kind of guy than an earn your time before you can play.

Reaction Score
You know I love Hurley but he is kind of being unrealistic with this comment. I understand that Stewart and Ross probably have not shown him/them (coaching staff) that they are ready. But we just need one of them not to be a liability. I do think he could have done a better job to date to give one of the a 7-8 minute runs.
This couldn't be more wrong. Both Stewart and Ross have gotten plenty of playing time when we haven't played Indiana, Texas, Kansas and UNC.

They'll also play today: I just don't get the point of expanding your rotations against quality opponents unless you have to.

Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 11.05.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 11.05.30 AM.png

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Hurley seems to be more carrot than stick on gamedays towards our players actual play, but he doesn’t put you out there until he KNOWS you wont hurt on team D.
Older Calhoun was a pussycat compared to younger Calhoun. Someone once asked DePriest if he was afraid of Coach Calhoun. His response was something like "Hell yeah, I was. He was a big dude in the prime of his life. If he was coming down the hallway, I'd duck in a door or walk the other way. Love him now though!"

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hey does anyone have a good explanation on why JC started freshman Dehnam Brown over senior Tony Robertson?

Tony started all games from the year before on a team that was 1st place in the Big East and went to the elite 8.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
We live in an age where "there is no I in team" has become "I is not in team".
Well the core philosophy I have heard Danny mention is that this is the “we season” ….. once the season ends and he has been quoted that the “me season” began about 30 minutes after we won the NC game. The fact that he is somewhat lamenting about kids already starting the me season is news if one is paying attention. My point being that, I understand on one hand why he made the public statement. He needs either Stewart or Ross to step up. He is trying to motivate and that is why he is brilliant as a leader and head coach. But just like who is staying and going to the nba this much is true. Of the three JS, JR or AR one is going to be back with us next year and can’t see it being AR. So he has laid it down and my second point is that everyone is downplaying the outcomes of these high leverage games. But winning them has clearly been more important than developing the freshman by really putting them out there for meaningful minutes with risk against some of the higher competition. And I have not seen them in person this year but Singare is a bigger body than I thought. He looks to have put on some upper body muscle. In the 27.7 seconds he played at the end of the half when he was fighting with Bacot in the lane he looked capable from a physical perspective. But he probably had a better idea on his playing time situation. If we win today by 40 like Gonzaga today so what. I would rather win by twenty and make sure DC, Cs and AK play no more than ten stressless low leverage minutes.

Reaction Score
Hey does anyone have a good explanation on why JC started freshman Dehnam Brown over senior Tony Robertson?

Tony started all games from the year before on a team that was 1st place in the Big East and went to the elite 8.
So are you saying Hurley doesn’t start freshmen? I hope you aren’t

Reaction Score
Older Calhoun was a pussycat compared to younger Calhoun.
No doubt he always had that fire. Compare Brian Fair's stats and PT in the games where Howie filled in. He's always been intimidating. But latter day JC's hard game day coaching, like latter day Knight's, wasn't received as well by some of his players. Not bashing JC, just my observation. Clearly players in general got softer to coaching over the years. But the inflexibility of that coaching style with todays culture would be beyond a challenge. DH has fire as well, but you dont see that quick hook, or belittling benchings or histrionics towards players. Probably goes at them a bit more in practice i'd assume though lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom