UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here' | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley looking for freshmen to add depth, but 'got to earn it here'

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You say had no choice like he wasn’t very successful doing so.
Look, the knock on us during those years is that we'd be really good but every 4-5 years would miss the tournament. Often that was because of how Calhoun brought in big freshman classes. Without the portal we had too many teams that were overly young and not that good. I didn't like that approach then and I don't like it now. For what it's worth, Hurley isn't doing it that way and the portal means you can fill roster gaps with experienced players rather than huge freshman classes.

Look at next year. We have two recruits to fill 4-5 spots. Calhoun would have offered a bunch of 4* and intriguing 3* guys and we'd have 5 freshmen. Because of roster turnover, he would have had to play them some. That era still exists for some P6 and mid-majors who lose their good players in the portal, but schools like UConn aren't doing that anymore. Lower tier P6 and mid majors are now our farm teams.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Look, the knock on us during those years is that we'd be really good but every 4-5 years would miss the tournament. Often that was because of how Calhoun brought in big freshman classes. Without the portal we had too many teams that were overly young and not that good. I didn't like that approach then and I don't like it now. For what it's worth, Hurley isn't doing it that way and the portal means you can fill roster gaps with experienced players rather than huge freshman classes.

Look at next year. We have two recruits to fill 4-5 spots. Calhoun would have offered a bunch of 4* and intriguing 3* guys and we'd have 5 freshmen. Because of roster turnover, he would have had to play them some. That era still exists for some P6 and mid-majors who lose their good players in the portal, but schools like UConn aren't doing that anymore. Lower tier P6 and mid majors are now our farm teams.
Might be a style preference then. I didn’t mind the 2006-2007 year. It was kind of exciting to watch those guys grow up and grow together. Chemistry wise it helped them a lot after playing so much together over 3 years too.

We’ll see what happens but next year is really dependent on what position Solo is going to be playing and then seeing who plays the opposite position and then who comes back (Karaban, possibly DC at this point if he’s not a projected lottery). As much as I ride for freshman, I don’t like the idea of a non-one and done freshman starting PG with Ahmad. lol

Hurley has said he wants to get to a point where he doesn’t want to use the portal too much.

Reaction Score
Might be a style preference then. I didn’t mind the 2006-2007 year. It was kind of exciting to watch those guys grow up and grow together. Chemistry wise it helped them a lot after playing so much together over 3 years too.

We’ll see what happens but next year is really dependent on what position Solo is going to be playing and then seeing who plays the opposite position and then who comes back (Karaban, possibly DC at this point if he’s not a projected lottery). As much as I ride for freshman, I don’t like the idea of a non-one and done freshman starting PG with Ahmad. lol

Hurley has said he wants to get to a point where he doesn’t want to use the portal too much.
So you want freshman to play just not too much lol?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Warrior611,

If you get the chance, find this and watch it.

JC.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't get the narrative either. Hurley has historically given freshmen a good amount of PT if it's earned and there is time for them to play. Below are the freshmen Hurley has had at UConn. Literally only five did not see significant PT as freshmen (Springs, Johnson, Diggins, Hasson and Romouglu). Of the freshmen Hurley has recruited only two have transferred out after their freshman years: Hasson and Diggins. I don't count Floyd as he never played for UConn. Hasson was a unique situation being a last minute recruit from Europe and I don't recall what the issue with Diggins was but I think it had to do with Newton being recruited (correct me if I am wrong).

At UConn:
Adams (12 MPG) Transferred out after graduating

Bouknight (25 MPG) NBA
Gaffney (20 MPG) Transferred out after three years
Akok (28 MPG) Transferred out after three years and multiple injuries
Springs (2.5 MPG) Transferred out after graduating

Sanogo (17 MPG) Two way NBA
Jackson (16 MPG) NBA

Hawkins (15 MPG) NBA
Johnson (5 MPG in 13 games) Current sixth man
Diggins (5 MPG in 9 games) Transferred out after one year

Karaban (29 MPG) Starter
Clingan (14 MPG) Starter
Romouglu (1.5 MPG 20 games) Current bench player
Hasson (1 MPG 11 games) Transferred out after one year

This year:
Castle (18 MPG four games including a minute restriction game)
Ball (25 MPG)
Stewart (10 MPG 8 games)
Ross (9 MPG 7 games)
Singare (2 MPG in 6 games)
Thank you for conveying relevant and substantive information in a clear manner without much more discernable attitude than personal humility and an interest in being helpful.

Reaction Score
Someone better tell EC (Matthews) Jared (Terrell), Jarvis (Garrett), Cyril (Langevine), (Jeff) Dowtin, and Hassan (Martin) that their college coach never plays freshmen. Is that even what the discussion is at this point?

A way more interesting tangent to go on is thinking about Calhoun coaching with the way the current game is. My guess is he would have peaced out like Wright and them and enjoyed a well-earned break.

In the meantime, I might just watch the championship game from last year today and continue to enjoy this 9-1 start.

Forget URI. We're started freshman all but, what...1 year at UConn?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't get the narrative either. Hurley has historically given freshmen a good amount of PT if it's earned and there is time for them to play. Below are the freshmen Hurley has had at UConn. Literally only five did not see significant PT as freshmen (Springs, Johnson, Diggins, Hasson and Romouglu). Of the freshmen Hurley has recruited only two have transferred out after their freshman years: Hasson and Diggins. I don't count Floyd as he never played for UConn. Hasson was a unique situation being a last minute recruit from Europe and I don't recall what the issue with Diggins was but I think it had to do with Newton being recruited (correct me if I am wrong).

At UConn:
Adams (12 MPG) Transferred out after graduating

Bouknight (25 MPG) NBA
Gaffney (20 MPG) Transferred out after three years
Akok (28 MPG) Transferred out after three years and multiple injuries
Springs (2.5 MPG) Transferred out after graduating

Sanogo (17 MPG) Two way NBA
Jackson (16 MPG) NBA

Hawkins (15 MPG) NBA
Johnson (5 MPG in 13 games) Current sixth man
Diggins (5 MPG in 9 games) Transferred out after one year

Karaban (29 MPG) Starter
Clingan (14 MPG) Starter
Romouglu (1.5 MPG 20 games) Current bench player
Hasson (1 MPG 11 games) Transferred out after one year

This year:
Castle (18 MPG four games including a minute restriction game)
Ball (25 MPG)
Stewart (10 MPG 8 games)
Ross (9 MPG 7 games)
Singare (2 MPG in 6 games)
There’s context around a lot of this.

Pretty much all the freshmen who played more than 20 minutes per game did so because he literally had no other option when he had to play them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So you want freshman to play just not too much lol?
PG is the most important position on the court. Unless the kid is Castle who’s a projected top 10 guy then I’d rather have us not rely on them there.

He can still make a big impact in a freshmen Kemba, Bazz, Boatright role.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not going to be happy until we have an all freshmen starting 5 ;)

Seriously though, give Stewart or Ross consistent PT to give Karaban a breather (past just this game) and get their feet wet and we’re good lmao.

I’d like 5-10 minutes against Gonzaga from one those guys. If they’ve been working hard and giving the effort asked of them, reward them with some court time in the big games.

If they aren’t giving the effort asked of them that’s another story but I don’t think that’s the case.
I wasn't sure where to jump into the fray, with this thread going of in so many directions.

It's challenging for any coach as to how to divide the minutes and give the inexperienced freshman or even sophomores playing time at the expense of the more proven players.

In any game where a bad few minute stretch could cost you the game, a coach wants his most proven players out there, taking into account 2 to 3 rotation players that are going to get minutes. Sometimes foul trouble or fatigue dictate going deeper into the bench but Hurley seems to have viable options with his top 7 to 8 players.

In games where a W is not in question, a good coach like Hurley, strategically will give some early minutes to some bench players who have begun to earn it in practice or improved play in prior games. But even so, it's at the expense of giving more minutes to the proven top 7 or 8 players you want prepared to playing significant minutes against tougher upcoming opponents.

Where it gets tricky is which bench players to give some minutes, and how many, in high pressure situations in close games where the outcome is uncertain. Do you take minutes from your starters or primary bench players to see what these unproven players can do? By doing so you give them critical learning opportunities to develop their game where they learn to perform in more pressure and more competitive situations compared to minutes against an over matched team or mop up minutes at the end of a game.

Add to the above, balancing winning now with developing players for later in the season or the following season.

It's clear that Castle will begin to get more minutes as he continues to recover. Ball, after having mixed results while Castle was out, has really improved on both ends of the floor and deserves some rotation minutes.

So that leads us to the primary point of this thread, are there minutes to be earned from either or both Stewart and Ross? There's just not enough minutes most games to give some to both. I think Stewart in the last game, the Manhattan game and in practice has given Hurley some reasons to start giving him some minutes against tougher competition. Since he's from Seattle, I think he'll get some against Gonzaga, and maybe even a few early minutes if he's practiced well leading up to Friday's game. From this point on there aren't any gimmes since it's the Zaggs followed by only conference opponents.

As for Ross, the only way I see him getting some meaningful minutes is either Stewart doesn't take advantage of what he gets or Hurley does what JC used to do, which is give a small chunk of minutes one game to a non-rotation bench player he wanted to develop and do the same to another in the next game. Sometimes he'd extend the minutes to that player if he did well. But if not, he'd sit that player and give the other one some play that game. It will be interesting to see if Hurley will begin to give Stewart or even Ross a few meaningful minutes as the season goes on.

But we have to take into account Castle getting more minutes as he recovers from his injury. It will likely be Ball's and Diarra's minutes he cuts into though. Stewart and Ross might get minutes when Kararaban needs a rest or he and Spencer are in foul trouble, or when Hurley decides to go small if the bigs (DK or Johnson) are both in foul trouble and they need some size out on the floor. Most of the time, depending who is in foul trouble, Hurley has gone to either a big lineup for a few minutes with DC and SJ on the court at the same time with 3 perimeter players (Newton, Spencer, Castle, Diarra or Ball) or a small lineup with one of the bigs or AK on the floor with 4 of the guards since we have some unusual size and very good rebounding (Newton 6-5, Castle 6-6 & Spencer 6-4). Even Diarra and Ball rebound well on both ends of the floor even though they are listed at 6-2 and 6-3 respectively, which I think is very generous with Diarra who doesn't look anything close to 6-2. My point here is Danny has so many rotation options with his top 8, assuming Castle continues to get more minutes and Ball doesn't regress, getting overtaken by either Stewart or Ross, which I don't see happening. I just hope Hurley can get those two some minutes throughout this season since I think many of us believe they both have a ton of upside to be excellent players, maybe even as soon as next season.

It will be interesting to see which freshman become part of the rotation or at least get some PT as the season goes on.

Reaction Score

Pretty much all the freshmen who played more than 20 minutes per game did so because he literally had no other option when he had to play them.
And you wonder why nobody provides you examples when they argue with you. This is why. Because everyone knows that they can go through all the effort to find stats and numbers and you'll just give a nonsense reply and dismiss it like this

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score

Does it matter if there is context or not? He did play those freshmen minutes that is fact. There are literally only two who transferred after their freshman year (both also having context) which is also fact. None of the others played less than three seasons. None of them had a large drop in minutes after their freshman year aside from Akok (who was seriously injured).

Name a freshman who didn't play that deserved minutes? Diggins? Johnson? Hasson? Romouglu? Springs? Which did he short change? The closest would be either Diggins, or Johnson. One left and is playing decently as a junior for UMass and the other is UConn's sixth man. Neither were close to being good enough as freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom