UConn Men: Dan Hurley's Workouts The Remedy For 'Soft' Play | The Boneyard

UConn Men: Dan Hurley's Workouts The Remedy For 'Soft' Play

Reaction Score
The hits keep on coming for the former staff:

“We know what we need to work on,” said Christian Vital, who briefly tested the NBA draft waters, then returned. “And we have a coach that's willing to work with us, a staff that's willing to work with us.”

Reaction Score
The hits keep on coming for the former staff:

“We know what we need to work on,” said Christian Vital, who briefly tested the NBA draft waters, then returned. “And we have a coach that's willing to work with us, a staff that's willing to work with us.”
CV with the SHADE at KO

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
On film we showed up as a soft team. That's the first thing you can fix, the first team you need to fix. — Dan Hurley

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“We showed them clips, not of missed shots, not of turnovers,” Hurley said, “but getting beat to the ball, not competing, looking at the refs after a foul call and acting like an idiot. In good programs, they don’t act like that.”

Reaction Score
I haven’t read a single quote from Hurley where he credited KO and staff for doing anything well. Hurley has said the team was soft, they acted like idiots, they didn’t compete and the culture and work ethic needs to be changed. It’s obvious he has zero respect for the previous staff, and rightfully so.

Reaction Score
The hits keep on coming for the former staff: quote
I've added the "reading between the lines text." Poor KO, lol.

“We know what we need to work on, ||but we didn't before||” said Christian Vital, who briefly tested the NBA draft waters ||because desperate times call for desperate measures||, then returned. “And we ||finally|| have a coach that's willing to work with us, a staff that's willing to work with us.”

Reaction Score
I said this in another thread. It seems like the last 2 years Ollie quit on the team. Maybe the players aren’t really that bad, it’s just that they were never coached well. I really want to know what made KO go from a all in team guy with all the positive quotes to a coach who to me looks like he cracked under the pressure. I don’t think it’s crazy to think that this team can make the tournament. I expect Jalen to have a monster year.

Reaction Score
Again what I love is he sees the little things which made up the team for a while now. Kids acting like fools to the referees way too often as well as celebrating when you shouldn't be. CV and Jalen both have done that, but CV way too often. I mean I'm good with the bows that Rip and Free used to do but ONLY because they could, they were winning a lot. even that at times made me cringe but let them have fun when they're successful but the BS of being happy you made a 3 or an alley oop down 18 is finally going to stop and that's a real good thing.

Most importantly they will be tougher or the weak will be sitting. If you can't keep a rebound in your hands because you aren't going after it hard enough it will be pointed out rather than maybe a clap for a nice try. Nice tries are gone I would think, it's all about winning again whether it's the game itself or a loose ball. Have to smile reading anything Danny says right now!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The kids complained to the refs because the coach didn't.
It was surprising to me that he could never get the tone right. Most coaches find a way to communicate with the refs. Calhoun was a master at it. Our kids suffered due to Ollie's failure to do much beyond pouting.

Reaction Score
I said this in another thread. It seems like the last 2 years Ollie quit on the team. Maybe the players aren’t really that bad, it’s just that they were never coached well. I really want to know what made KO go from a all in team guy with all the positive quotes to a coach who to me looks like he cracked under the pressure. I don’t think it’s crazy to think that this team can make the tournament. I expect Jalen to have a monster year.
When I was in high school my sophomore year our lacrosse team was HORRIBLE! I think we won 3 games. My junior year we got a new coach who was tough as nails and said the first practice would not end until somebody puked. It was tough but we bought into the system and loved it. We went from worst in the conference to losing in the state championship. I'm hoping this is a similar situation.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
What we are seeing and hearing about is a seasoned/ experienced head coach who knows what it takes to win. The difference is night and day.

Hurley has dissected last year's tapes, identified the problems that need correction and is implementing a rigorous and difficult plan to move the program forward. Credit to the players - they have stayed and are working the "new" program.

I'm not going to project how many wins we will have. Not sure how much talent we really have. But the culture change has arrived in full force.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is the difference between a guy who is a natural coach and and guy who is a b-ball player. That simple.

It's similar, in my mind, to a parent who acts as a parent should, and one who wants to be friends with their kids. Either Ollie never was that type of coach or he stopped being that type of coach. I don't really care which anymore. It was clear that for the last two years he didn't do much more than make up the lineup.

It's going to be so interesting to see how these kids respond. I think they are better than we've seen.

Reaction Score
It's similar, in my mind, to a parent who acts as a parent should, and one who wants to be friends with their kids. Either Ollie never was that type of coach or he stopped being that type of coach. I don't really care which anymore. It was clear that for the last two years he didn't do much more than make up the lineup.

It's going to be so interesting to see how these kids respond. I think they are better than we've seen.
We will be better than we would've been if we didn't make a change. That I'm certain of. There's still clearly a ton of work to do in breaking old habits. I don't know how strong we will come out of the gate but I think we'll be humming towards the end of the year

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We will be better than we would've been if we didn't make a change. That I'm certain of. There's still clearly a ton of work to do in breaking old habits. I don't know how strong we will come out of the gate but I think we'll be humming towards the end of the year

This is my contention as well. That's why I won't be crushed if we don't make the NCAAs; struggling at the start of the year really diminishes our chances there--that's our current reality.

I expect us to compete, night in, night out.

Reaction Score
His divorce sent him into PTSD, unfortunately. He was/is very deeply stung. I do feel for him in that regard.

Reaction Score
“We showed them clips, not of missed shots, not of turnovers,” Hurley said, “but getting beat to the ball, not competing, looking at the refs after a foul call and acting like an idiot. In good programs, they don’t act like that.”
Damn but I really love this quote. A lot of people play down the mental part of the game but those people either never coached or never coached well. This stuff is as important as it gets.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Did he forget about duke?

Reaction Score

The last 2 years is the key. Ollie was an energetic coach who worked hard on the sideline. He recruited pretty well and had success. Ollie teams played hard.
Then the last 2 years happened. He was a different coach and we had a different team. We had transfers and a key injury that severely effected our record but the big difference was that Ollie was a different coach. Some have speculated that it was his divorce but nobody really knows.
KO is a good guy and I wish him well but a change was needed. I have no idea if Hurley is the answer but we will find out soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom