UConn Men Come Under The Eyes Of NBA Scouts, Too | The Boneyard

UConn Men Come Under The Eyes Of NBA Scouts, Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They are practicing and 12 NBA scouts were watching them today.

This happened days ago, although i'm pretty sure amore just found out about it seeing him retweet it this morning.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
This happened days ago, although i'm pretty sure amore just found out about it seeing him retweet it this morning.
Ive said it time and time again we have to have the worst beat writers of any major D1 program. Kentucky has guys that live tweet practices with who's doing the best in the scrimmages, whos improving in certain areas, ect. We get nothing.

Reaction Score
Ive said it time and time again we have to have the worst beat writers of any major D1 program. Kentucky has guys that live tweet practices with who's doing the best in the scrimmages, whos improving in certain areas, ect. We get nothing.

Amore should do better. But it's not really his fault... Directly from the article...

"No media availability,"

You can't live tweet something you aren't allowed to attend.

Reaction Score

Come on, we have Donnie Love writing out tweets wherein he misspells a word every few and often gets player names wrong too

The fact that that guy gets to follow sports and get paid for it is a travesty. I'm sure there are a handful of us sitting around who could do a much better job and actually proofread our stuff before putting it out there and who would enjoy doing that job rather than the one they currently hold.

Reaction Score
I agree with you 110% (not that I really know a shred about the other major programs' beat writers but they simply have to be better) but there is a faction of the BY who for some reason insists on standing up to defend Amore every time one of these threads gets going and will go on to cite some average article he has penned recently as evidence to the contrary. The content, the prose and the general lack of originality are embarrassing and there's no two ways about it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Amore should do better. But it's not really his fault... Directly from the article...

"No media availability,"

You can't live tweet something you aren't allowed to attend.

I imagine there will be less media availability with the new practice center?

Reaction Score
I agree with you 110% (not that I really know a shred about the other major programs' beat writers but they simply have to be better) but there is a faction of the BY who for some reason insists on standing up to defend Amore every time one of these threads gets going and will go on to cite some average article he has penned recently as evidence to the contrary. The content, the prose and the general lack of originality are embarrassing and there's no two ways about it.

We get information on the boneyard at real time. For the most part 3, tcf, husky99 and others are our beat writers. Guys like Dom and other beat writers cater to the casual fan who aren't reading live updates on the boneyard. I understand others want more breaking information from beat writers, but there is probably little they can add that we haven't already covered here.

Reaction Score
We get information on the boneyard at real time. For the most part 3, tcf, husky99 and others are our beat writers. Guys like Dom and other beat writers cater to the casual fan who aren't reading live updates on the boneyard. I understand others want more breaking information from beat writers, but there is probably little they can add that we haven't already covered here.

No offense to 3 & tcf because they keep the recruiting information flowing, but the beat writers do serve a purpose in covering the players and the team. They could definitely do a much better job of that as their interests seem to be with other sports besides basketball, but there is more to UConn than recruiting, they do a decent job with player updates and covering the team during the season. You're not getting that info on the boneyard first.

Reaction Score
No offense to 3 & tcf because they keep the recruiting information flowing, but the beat writers do serve a purpose in covering the players and the team. They could definitely do a much better job of that as their interests seem to be with other sports besides basketball, but there is more to UConn than recruiting, they do a decent job with player updates and covering the team during the season. You're not getting that info on the boneyard first.

I agree with your point, but in the off-season recruiting is the main topic worth discussing. You can only read so many articles about "X is having a strong summer, Y is working really hard in the gym, or Z has been dominating pick-up games."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume that Dom Amore's position is a full time one. That begs the question as to what he is doing since we see so little from him. Borges is much better and Phil Chardis was very good while at the JI. The team has won 4 of the last 16 titles, you would think the Courant would make UConn reporting a top priority, especially given the absence of pro sports in the state.

Reaction Score

Screw Kensucky....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I assume that Dom Amore's position is a full time one. That begs the question as to what he is doing since we see so little from him. Borges is much better and Phil Chardis was very good while at the JI. The team has won 4 of the last 16 titles, you would think the Courant would make UConn reporting a top priority, especially given the absence of pro sports in the state.
Partially the trend of newspapers, partially the cultural differences between the regions and partially the demographic differences.

Perhaps more people in New England who are fans are tuned in to alternative news sources than in Kentucky.
Perhaps there is a more traditional mindset amongst people in Kentucky, leading to greater consistent passion.
Perhaps there is a greater divergence regarding loyalty to UConn vs. Kentucky because more of it's citizens attended schools other than the state university.

Reaction Score
I think the hardest thing now, and I respect the writes so I will be careful, is finding guys who really understand the game. I mean it's easy to "report" on games knowing what questions to ask and what happens during the games. Same with practices to listen to other questions and ask the correct questions pertaining to the team. But can they look at each player and understand if they improved, how they improved or what they need to still work on? Many of what they write comes from others but I don't think there are a lot of "real evaluators" of the players and team out there for us who could actually tweet during a practice. I could be wrong but I am guessing.

Reaction Score
I think the hardest thing now, and I respect the writes so I will be careful, is finding guys who really understand the game. I mean it's easy to "report" on games knowing what questions to ask and what happens during the games. Same with practices to listen to other questions and ask the correct questions pertaining to the team. But can they look at each player and understand if they improved, how they improved or what they need to still work on? Many of what they write comes from others but I don't think there are a lot of "real evaluators" of the players and team out there for us who could actually tweet during a practice. I could be wrong but I am guessing.

Like WingU-Conn said, "You can't live tweet something you aren't allowed to attend."

From what I've heard Ollie doesn't allow reporters as much access to practices as Calhoun did. After the first practice we had about 50 tweets and a bunch of articles videos and player interviews. We haven't received much news since then and I think the major reason is the reporters haven't been allowed access to the practice.

I don't mind if that's KO's policy and he doesn't want reporters there, but you can't really blame the beat writers for the lack of information if they aren't granted access to practice.

Reaction Score
Like WingU-Conn said, "You can't live tweet something you aren't allowed to attend."

From what I've heard Ollie doesn't allow reporters as much access to practices as Calhoun did. After the first practice we had about 50 tweets and a bunch of articles videos and player interviews. We haven't received much news since then and I think the major reason is the reporters haven't been allowed access to the practice.

I don't mind if that's KO's policy and he doesn't want reporters there, but you can't really blame the beat writers for the lack of information if they aren't granted access to practice.

Fair enough and I agree. If this is the case then sobeit. But we need some stories and I am sure there are many of you waiting. Going back to JC's early days once practice started there were articles every couple of days on who was doing what and so on. Even if JC had 20 lbs extra and 2 inches taller it was good to see something to get excited about LOL.....just tough to be begging for info!

Reaction Score
Completely agree, and the biggest issue that causes this disconnect imo is that none of our beat writers come off as actual fans of basketball. It would be nice if we had guys in the mold of what Kevin Duffy was, but you can tell with all of these guys that basketball ranks low on their interest. Hell, John Silver doesn't even really cover basketball to that extent as his main job is football, and I can tell from his tweets that he's a bigger basketball fan and has a better understanding than all of those guys combined. He needs to have one of their jobs.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Which is the primary reason I come to this forum. To get insightful analysis of players and game play. I could easily do without all the emotional stuff that interjects itself into these insightful discussions, because I have to plow through more things before I get to the nuggets, but the effort is well worth it imo because there isn't much insightful thinking in the media. Except well after most of us debate points here, which lends me to think they lurk here to get ideas.

My hope is that the more rational guys in this forum who do contribute to the discussion don't leave for long periods of time when things get ugly in these forums.

Reaction Score
Which is the primary reason I come to this forum. To get insightful analysis of players and game play. I could easily do without all the emotional stuff that interjects itself into these insightful discussions, because I have to plow through more things before I get to the nuggets, but the effort is well worth it imo because there isn't much insightful thinking in the media. Except well after most of us debate points here, which lends me to think they lurk here to get ideas.

My hope is that the more rational guys in this forum who do contribute to the discussion don't leave for long periods of time when things get ugly in these forums.

There are rational posters here? :oops:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Partially the trend of newspapers, partially the cultural differences between the regions and partially the demographic differences.

Perhaps more people in New England who are fans are tuned in to alternative news sources than in Kentucky.
Perhaps there is a more traditional mindset amongst people in Kentucky, leading to greater consistent passion.
Perhaps there is a greater divergence regarding loyalty to UConn vs. Kentucky because more of it's citizens attended schools other than the state university.

And lets face it, there are a whole lot more Kentucky fans than UCONN fans. It's a religion down there. UK BB is the "UT/AL football" of Kentucky. Not so up here.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There are rational posters here? :oops:
There are posters who post insightful analysis and remain emotionally unentangled with others even though they are passionate about the issues being discussed. There are those who can't prevent their emotions from seeping into a discussion even as they post insightful things. Both have a lot to contribute but the latter group tends to change a topic away from the objective and towards the subjective. This doesn't bother me nearly as much as those who just post emotional diatribe with little or no critical thinking.

Reaction Score
There are posters who post insightful analysis and remain emotionally unentangled with others even though they are passionate about the issues being discussed. There are those who can't prevent their emotions from seeping into a discussion even as they post insightful things. Both have a lot to contribute but the latter group tends to change a topic away from the objective and towards the subjective. This doesn't bother me nearly as much as those who just post emotional diatribe with little or no critical thinking.

I agree totally although what sucks is I'm having a tough time figuring out where the hell I fit in on these types! :eek:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And lets face it, there are a whole lot more Kentucky fans than UCONN fans. It's a religion down there. UK BB is the "UT/AL football of Kentucky. Not so up here.
That's the case in the past and certainly the case presently. But I'm not certain it has to be the case in the future. When I was growing up most of the better students in the state wanted to attend private universities if they could afford it. That isn't the case currently. Things change.

It remains to be seen if the university can capitalize on this and get students excited with its sports. I think they can because some of the reason these students are choosing UConn is because of their successes in sports.

The university has to undo some of the damage that occurred with its passionate fan base. Some of it was lost over the past few decades with the seating policy changes. But I'm convinced, as I've stated in other threads, Ct has passionate people who love sports and are no different than other places. UConn certainly is in competition with other venues and that makes it harder to promote itself than a Kentucky, but that doesn't mean it can't ultimately be as successful as Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom