UConn men’s team pauses again due to Covid | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn men’s team pauses again due to Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I start thinking that things aren't going my was I watch "World War ll in Color" which is readily available on Youtube or cable tv.; especially the Pacific Battles both island invasions (Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinowa,
Phillipines, Peleliu etc.) as well the Naval battles (Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf) etc.
Majority of of the military by that time was mostly 18-22 yr old marines, soldiers and sailors except for many who lied about their under age in order to get in.
Suffering beyond belief. There is a memorial in New Britain for the Battle of Iwo Jima and CT men who died there. It is an exact replica of the one in Washington DC. There is an inscription on it written by an officer that says something like this:
"Victory was never in doubt; we just didn't know if anyone would be left to decorate our cemeteries". When the weather gets warm in the Spring stop by and visit.
Thank you to all WWII vets and all who have served at any time.or currently are serving. Worrying about a college basketball season pales in comparison.

Be safe everyone.

Reaction Score
Kids missing seminal moments in their development including graduations and proms is nothing to scoff at and minimize. It's not life or death, but it's significant. To shove it aside is misguided, inconsiderate, and demeaning to those who've also lost moments in their life as a result of this pandemic.
I know multiple families who have kids that have suffered from serious depression related to COVID. Including at least one suicide attempt that came out of seemingly nowhere.

While it’s easy for some to say that losing Prom, sports etc. should be put into prospective by these kids, it still has a major impact on many of them and it can easily turn into a more destructive situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know multiple families who have kids that have suffered from serious depression related to COVID. Including at least one suicide attempt that came out of seemingly nowhere.
So sorry to hear - hopefully those people sought support from their families and mental health professionals.

The underlying pandemic that continues to go unnoticed is a mental health one. Mental health professionals will tell you the governmental/leadership response to our society's mental health is as bad as, if not worse, than its response to Covid.

Reaction Score
Really hoping to hear it was someone involved with the team but not a player or coach, and after contact tracing and a few negative tests, we can resume practice later this week. Best case scenario!

Reaction Score
I heard there were talks of the BE going into a bubble. Is this true? Has it gained on traction?

Reaction Score
Especially the freshman; coming off of no prom, no real graduation ceremony (including partying), no proper goodbye to classmates and then to no real campus visitations, no real campus life experience and now no real basketball (fanless suxs).

These 'COVID' kids deserve a special place in history for what they have endured and sacrificed.
Couldn’t agree more. My neighbor graduated in June. Senior year on line. Graduation in cars like a drive in movie. I told her don’t ever let any older people tell her how tough they had it and how easy things are for today’s yutes.

Reaction Score
I heard there were talks of the BE going into a bubble. Is this true? Has it gained on traction?

They explored it a while back and said no for a couple reasons, supposedly a big one being cost. Not sure if they reevaluate now if they're worried they're not going to get enough games doing without.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more. My neighbor graduated in June. Senior year on line. Graduation in cars like a drive in movie. I told her don’t ever let any older people tell her how tough they had it and how easy things are for today’s yutes.
I guess it depends on what kind of old person you're talking about. I would venture to guess that an old person today who was graduating from high school in the 1960s had a hell of a lot more to worry about than today's high schoolers.
Same goes for any remaining WWII vets around.

Reaction Score
When I start thinking that things aren't going my was I watch "World War ll in Color" which is readily available on Youtube or cable tv.; especially the Pacific Battles both island invasions (Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Okinowa,
Phillipines, Peleliu etc.) as well the Naval battles (Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf) etc.
Majority of of the military by that time was mostly 18-22 yr old marines, soldiers and sailors except for many who lied about their under age in order to get in.
Suffering beyond belief. There is a memorial in New Britain for the Battle of Iwo Jima and CT men who died there. It is an exact replica of the one in Washington DC. There is an inscription on it written by an officer that says something like this:
"Victory was never in doubt; we just didn't know if anyone would be left to decorate our cemeteries". When the weather gets warm in the Spring stop by and visit.
Well said....or how about this 12yrd old....

Calvin S. Graham was 12 when he joined the Navy in 1942. The Texas native fought in the Pacific, was wounded at Guadalcanal and earned a Bronze Star. But when his commanders learned his age, he was stripped of his medals, thrown in a Navy brig and given a dishonorable discharge.

Reaction Score
I forgot where I read this...It may have been somebody on Twitter, but they suggested that the Big East could have done something like have multiple bubbles or pods while splitting the conference geographically. For example, you can have UConn, PC, Seton Hall, STJ, Villanova, and Georgetown all in a bubble at Mohegan. Then have Marquette, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, and DePaul play somewhere around Chicago. You can keep them in the bubble for 2 weeks and everybody plays each other. That maybe the safest way to play. I don't know if its realistic, but it was just an idea.

Reaction Score
I forgot where I read this...It may have been somebody on Twitter, but they suggested that the Big East could have done something like have multiple bubbles or pods while splitting the conference geographically. For example, you can have UConn, PC, Seton Hall, STJ, Villanova, and Georgetown all in a bubble at Mohegan. Then have Marquette, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, and DePaul play somewhere around Chicago. You can keep them in the bubble for 2 weeks and everybody plays each other. That maybe the safest way to play. I don't know if its realistic, but it was just an idea.

Here is where I read it last from a few days ago.. wide ranging discussion but BE Bubble discussion towards the end (“Thoughts on a bubble”):

Reaction Score
I guess it depends on what kind of old person you're talking about. I would venture to guess that an old person today who was graduating from high school in the 1960s had a hell of a lot more to worry about than today's high schoolers.
It doesn’t have to be a contest does it. Depression kids,ww2 kids, Vietnam kids all had their challenges. So do the covid kids. Are they all the same? Of course not.There are some unique aspects to covid though. The behavior of theses kids could kill their parents or grandparents that’s nothing I had to deal with in HS.

Reaction Score

So maybe it was a staff member and the players need to test negative 3 times or something

Reaction Score
The inherent problem with your entire post, particularly the underlined part, is that there is no positive outcome of comparing generations to one another. The set of conditions under which both groups were of high school age are so fundamentally different that it's impossible to compare. There is no value in this comparison.

The only outcomes of such an argument is further age-ism, self-aggrandization, generational split, and anger between both parties.

Just stop.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I’m surprised we had the amount of sports that we’ve had during a pandemic. I just can’t see Fox hunting, billiards, rugby, and other old sports actually being played during past global pandemics and plagues. We are so spoiled and arrogant. I’ll take 2 games, per month, gladly at this point. Anyway, go Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom