UConn math professor makes Yale upset into exam question | The Boneyard

UConn math professor makes Yale upset into exam question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
O.K. forget for a couple minutes your anger over UConn losing to Yale and read this. Pretty funny. So the probability that UConn would lose to an Ivy League school is about 7% (actually 9%) which isn't that low. It's not like it's a 15 seed over a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament kind of low. Which doesn't make me feel any better but thought the premise of a professor using this on his final exam was interesting.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...math-prof-makes-yale-upset-into-exam-question

A "Like" to whoever can solve the question without looking at the work.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, guy should be fired from the University. If he had no affiliation to make the use of that data annoying, I'd be fine with it. But since he's a Yale guy teaching at UConn, he wants to use that to make an exam question and turn the stomachs of all of his students that care enough to have been crushed by the loss.

Granted, he probably had no idea that the team had lost to Texas in the same fashion the previous game, and for all we know he doesn't know that this wasnt the only game of the season

Reaction Score
In all honesty, guy should be fired from the University. If he had no affiliation to make the use of that data annoying, I'd be fine with it. But since he's a Yale guy teaching at UConn, he wants to use that to make an exam question and turn the stomachs of all of his students that care enough to have been crushed by the loss.

Granted, he probably had no idea that the team had lost to Texas in the same fashion the previous game, and for all we know he doesn't know that this wasnt the only game of the season

You have derailed.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kembacity said:
In all honesty, guy should be fired from the University. If he had no affiliation to make the use of that data annoying, I'd be fine with it. But since he's a Yale guy teaching at UConn, he wants to use that to make an exam question and turn the stomachs of all of his students that care enough to have been crushed by the loss. Granted, he probably had no idea that the team had lost to Texas in the same fashion the previous game, and for all we know he doesn't know that this wasnt the only game of the season
Sweet melt

Professor -1 - Kembacity -0

Reaction Score

Your kidding right? I hope you are not someones boss.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

You should be fired from the forum for this asinine response.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I find it amazing that someone actually knows how to do a computation like that. It makes me feel like a moron.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Are you duck*ing kidding me?

Reaction Score
O.K. forget for a couple minutes your anger over UConn losing to Yale and read this. Pretty funny. So the probability that UConn would lose to an Ivy League school is about 7% (actually 9%) which isn't that low. It's not like it's a 15 seed over a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament kind of low. Which doesn't make me feel any better but thought the premise of a professor using this on his final exam was interesting.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...math-prof-makes-yale-upset-into-exam-question

A "Like" to whoever can solve the question without looking at the work.

What are the odds of losing back to back games where the scenario is almost 100% the same? All we needed was 1 ET in each game to win and each game we got beat with a three in the same location? How about a million to one.

Reaction Score

I've read a ton of dumb on here, but this jumps up to the head of the class.. Just when I think people can't get any more stupid, there's always someone willing to prove me wrong.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd love to sit in on the grievance hearing for a professor fired for trolling a math quiz.

"Your honor, this employee has been terminated for crushing souls with his Ivy League douchery..."

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Got a question wrong on an exam because I thought the "Trail of Tears" was the area between Gampel's student section and the door.

Reaction Score
Actually I would feel ecstatic about it if the players were in his class.

pj

Reaction Score
It's a great question. Well done by the perfesser. We can overlook his Yale background, he's a Husky now.

Reaction Score
I wonder what our odds were of winning in 2011 or 2014? You win some, you lose some. I like winning in March and April.

Reaction Score
As someone who was actually in the class none of us were upset by this. Joe writes super creative problem with great references. Also on the day of the game he wore a Yale shirt to class and then took it off to reveal a Uconn shirt underneath. And for those who asked, no there definitely weren't any basketball players in the class!

Reaction Score
As someone who was actually in the class none of us were upset by this. Joe writes super creative problem with great references. Also on the day of the game he wore a Yale shirt to class and then took it off to reveal a Uconn shirt underneath. And for those who asked, no there definitely weren't any basketball players in the class!

All but one of us thought it was superb sports trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom