UConn makes a strong statement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn makes a strong statement

Reaction Score
Only question now is when do they cancel the men's basketball season? I mean, I think they'll have to. If they're worried about spreading the disease in an outdoor stadium with the wind blowing in 40 or 50 degree weather, then playing basketball where everyone guards someone else very closely wearing small sweaty uniforms in a closed environment like a gym with coaches telling their defenders to "don't let him score, I want you to get in his face", is ringing the dinner bell for the little Covid buggers. If they don't cancel it, then it's hypocrisy raised to the nth power.

You ever play football? You think the wind blowing will prevent the spread?

If things remain the same when basketball season rolls around they should absolutely cancel the season.

Reaction Score
You ever play football? You think the wind blowing will prevent the spread?

If things remain the same when basketball season rolls around they should absolutely cancel the season.
Yes, I did play football. The point I'm making is football, unlike basketball, is an outdoor sport played and practiced in the Fall, where the Covid 19 virus is subjected to things that make it very hard for the virus to infect anyone, colder temperatures, ultraviolet radiation, wind and rain. I can guarantee you the number of people in CT who have contracted the disease while running or taking a walk in the woods is zero while the number of people involved in any sporting activity played and or practiced indoors is not. A virus spreads by infecting a host and making copies of itself in that host, outside exposed to the elements a virus has an extremely tough time surviving just as people do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well...the Hunger Games kick off soon and I, for one am excited.

Five Districts with multiple teams made up of "volunteers" risking it for the entertainment of a national audience watching on TV.

The commentators will give a running count of casualties as the season progresses....wooo-hooo Ohio State's team down by 19, odds favor Clemson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I pity those poor boys today practicing in Tallahassee....not because of Covid...but because I remember the hell of August....temperatures in the 90's with the air saturated with humdity.

People talk about the vulnerability of 300 pound linemen but I suspect that these big guys are fitter than 90% of us...working on quick pace play in heat and humidity....

Reaction Score
Big Sky Conference will play in spring.
Yes, I did play football. The point I'm making is football, unlike basketball, is an outdoor sport played and practiced in the Fall, where the Covid 19 virus is subjected to things that make it very hard for the virus to infect anyone, colder temperatures, ultraviolet radiation, wind and rain. I can guarantee you the number of people in CT who have contracted the disease while running or taking a walk in the woods is zero while the number of people involved in any sporting activity played and or practiced indoors is not. A virus spreads by infecting a host and making copies of itself in that host, outside exposed to the elements a virus has an extremely tough time surviving just as people do.
They practice, weight train, eat, get physical therapy, film study practically live in BurtonShenkman.

Reaction Score
Their own germ circle. If UConn ever plays football again they should NOT be a young team

Reaction Score
People talk about the vulnerability of 300 pound linemen but I suspect that these big guys are fitter than 90% of us...working on quick pace play in heat and humidity....

And they are at high risk of complications from COVID.

This is about one thing - $$$. FSU and the ACC should be ashamed of themselves.

Reaction Score
Big Sky Conference will play in spring.
They practice, weight train, eat, get physical therapy, film study practically live in BurtonShenkman.
They and any other teams can practice outside, and most certainly will to avoid the virus if they have an indoor facility. Practicing inside is foolhardy for players, coaches and any other support staff. They could even set up weightlifting equipment outside. During physical therapy, and film study I hope everyone is wearing a mask.

Reaction Score
If UConn were in the ACC there is no way the decision would have been made to cancel the season as long as the ACC still planned to play.

Reaction Score
It takes work to play in a pandemic...Marvin Wilson (some mock drafts have him as a 1st rounder) chose to play this year and not sit out... his interview gives insight into Covid and football...

Wilson praised Norvell and the entire staff for the way they've handled the players' return to campus. He says the protocols in place to make sure an outbreak of COVID-19 doesn't happen are aggressive, strenuous and consistent.

"I'm very happy with the protocols here at Florida State," he said. "I think they're over-emphasizing things, to be honest."

Wilson said that with a laugh and then talked about how the coaches are wearing face shields, how the team is conducting temperature checks every time a player walks into the building, the social distancing requirements that they employ, and the testing they conduct.

The senior also was asked about the new face shields that are being used inside the players' helmets. That didn't seem to be much of an issue for the former five-star recruit either.

"The helmet does get a lot hotter," Wilson. "But it keeps us safe. It is what it is. We're just doing things differently now. Like now we're doing interviews on Zoom. You've just got to adapt."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Correct!! All this over-the-top concern for the health of these young men is actually nauseating. The reason why we are not playing this season comes down to dollars. Paying for the tests and the other monitoring and precautions costs dollars, losing P5 games costs dollars, finding teams to play may cost dollars, etc., etc. As the previous poster mentioned, simply question that cuts through all the crap, if we were in the B1G, ACC of even the AAC would we be canceling the season? Easy answer to that question, of course not. What was the administration's reason for not canceling the other fall sports, it had nothing to do with the physical nature of football or anything related to the actual games, the answer was that it was a BE call. Let's just hope they don't use COVID as an excuse to downgrade or eliminate the program. Does anybody honestly think this administration is above hiding behind COVID to make that type of decision?

This post didn't age well. Whoever's sock this is, you might as well just throw it away.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They made the easy call. It was made for them. This is not UConn being strong in the era of Covid. This is UConn realizing they had nobody to play.

This post got 11 likes, then the MAC cancelled its season 3 days later. How long before the whole season is done?

But Alum86 and the other 11 of you are right. It was all because UConn had no one to play. You guys nailed it. Or not.

Reaction Score
This post got 11 likes, then the MAC cancelled its season 3 days later. How long before the whole season is done?

But Alum86 and the other 11 of you are right. It was all because UConn had no one to play. You guys nailed it. Or not.
They could have pieced a schedule together Of course not the original schedule. When everyone cancels maybe the NCAA steps in finally and says all schedules get pushed back a year. I doubt spring ball will happen unfortunately

Reaction Score
Speaking of strong statements, the Syracuse skyline is about to overtake Storrs in aesthetics for the first time in a very long time with that new Dome roof.

We need to come up with a creative rooftop for the Homer D. Babbidge Library.

Reaction Score
They’ll kick that can down the road as far as they can because it’s not their call to make it’s the conference’s decision.

UConn spun not having a viable schedule the best way that they could. Say that you are canceling because of health and safety concerns and you gain some points in the media.

That being said what happens if The Big East says you have a schedule and we plan to play? Do the concerns expressed by The AD evaporate?

At this point The NCAA needs to let everybody off the hook from making these decisions by canceling sports for the year. However the next time The NCAA acts in the best interests of the athletes they claim to represent will be the first time. They’re the biggest hypocrites of them all.
This isn't fair. The Power 5 demanded "Autonomy". They should be the last folks expecting the NCAA to make the decision for them. They're beholden to the TV money. The nonsense of G5 schools not being able to test adequately enough and the being the reason for conference only games is laughable.

Reaction Score
Holy virtue signal in the sky, Batman !

But....There may more of a safety concern of kids driving from their off-campus house to the practice field.

Reaction Score
the Covid 19 virus is subjected to things that make it very hard for the virus to infect anyone, colder temperatures, ultraviolet radiation, wind and rain.
please provide evidence for this. You are on the verge of a Nobel Prize, with this theory of “cold and rain kills COVID”. Because we were told in the beginning heat and sunlight kill it lol (can’t have much UV radiation when it’s raining, can ya?)

I can guarantee you the number of people in CT who have contracted the disease while running or taking a walk in the woods is zero while the number of people involved in any sporting activity played and or practiced indoors is not.
What about a group of 15 people wrestling over a line of scrimmage?

Man you are stupid

Reaction Score
Practices are going on right now at P5's....we'll soon find out about the covid fatalities incurred on the teams....right?

Sure, there will be some infected..but probably less so than in the returning student bodies at universities.

Reaction Score
Practices are going on right now at P5's....we'll soon find out about the covid fatalities incurred on the teams....right?

Sure, there will be some infected..but probably less so than in the returning student bodies at universities.
Let me hold your hand. Nobody is talking about the kids dying. People are concerned because they read stories like the Red Sox player developing myocarditis as a complication of COVID and getting shut down. Does that register with you? Would you like to put in hundreds of hours of physical labor for no compensation, and end up with a heart condition?

You’re in Florida, aren’t you? Just perfect LMAO

Reaction Score
Let me hold your hand. Nobody is talking about the kids dying. People are concerned because they read stories like the Red Sox player developing myocarditis as a complication of COVID and getting shut down. Does that register with you? Would you like to put in hundreds of hours of physical labor for no compensation, and end up with a heart condition?

You’re in Florida, aren’t you? Just perfect LMAO

Actually not...I am in a very rural part of western North Carolina....east of Hanging Dog...SW of Granny Squirrel, and west about 10 miles from Shooting Creek.

I think what FSU's Norvell said is all he can say...

On blocking out the rest of the CFB world: "It's one of the things we talk about every day in our program. We've got to control what we can control. ... The administration has done a great job with the facility ... These guys love football and they want the opportunity to play football. We're ultimately not in control of those decisions, but we can make sure we're doing our part."

And "the kids are concerned" ? They should be and aware...Yet the kids at Penn State and FSU want to play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And WTF? Let's talk about having 8,000 kids returning to Storrs...with far fewer controls...shut the school down....

The hypocrisy is rampant.

Reaction Score
Actually not...I am in a very rural part of western North Carolina....
lol so much better

I think what FSU's Norvell said is all he can say...

On blocking out the rest of the CFB world: "It's one of the things we talk about every day in our program. We've got to control what we can control. ... The administration has done a great job with the facility ... These guys love football and they want the opportunity to play football. We're ultimately not in control of those decisions, but we can make sure we're doing our part."

And "the kids are concerned" ? They should be and aware...Yet the kids at Penn State and FSU want to play.
I imagine this won’t be the first time you encounter the phrase

Protect the athlete from himself

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
And ? Let's talk about having 8,000 kids returning to Storrs...with far fewer controls...shut the school down....

The hypocrisy is rampant.
Yeah, we probably shouldn’t be having college students coming back either. I work at the university of Michigan and they’re having 50,000 students coming back at the end of the month. I can’t wait to live in America’s next Covid hotspot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom