UConn makes a strong statement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn makes a strong statement

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is still physical contact in both sports - One can catch the flu from another in both sports
Singles tennis has two people playing and it is possible for one to catch something from the other - a whole lot more remote but still possible

This is like arguing that the only two choices in life are attacking a tiger with a whiffle ball bat or locking oneself in a panic room forever. There are choices between those two risk profiles.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You would explain it but you can’t. I don’t even disagree with dropping football. The season was over anyway with the games lost. If UConn truly cancelled to protect the kids then they’d cancel ALL fall sports now. When a member of any fall sports team contracts COVID I’ll wait for your “explanation” lol

You should try the search function before putting words in other posters' mouths. I was in favor of playing football this year btw, but not with a 10-11 game schedule against 10-11 different schools from all over the country. The P5 scheduling plan is reckless and has a high potential for disaster. I want no part of it or anything that looks like it.

If, in refusing to do something so obviously reckless and stupid, UConn can also make the P5 look dangerous and greedy, it seems like a win/win.

Or I can be like you, and trash the program non-stop even when they do the right thing.

Reaction Score
I don't understand folks trying to discount the importance of UConn's decision.

There are 7 independent programs. Only 1 has a significant amount of money coming in via TV deal. All have lost their big pay games.

Only 1 can be the leader and set the table.

There are also 5 G5 conferences that get little to nothing in their TV deals. They too could have been leaders and made what some are saying is an obvious decision for UConn and only UConn. Tulane spent $100k on COVID testing last month for football. The AAC deal is trash and they are throwing whatever money they make from it on COVID testing so they can go 6-6 and make the Beef O'Brady Bowl with 0 fans in the stands? A top tier academic institution is doing this with real American dollars? Pathetic.

There are P5 conferences with some of the leading academic institutions in the country that are probably looking at the Ivy League cancelling and thinking this is a bad idea to keep this charade going and are not as blinded by the greed for football and $ (Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke, Cal, Wake Forest).

It's easy to poke fun at UConn Football for a decade of ineptitude, but they knew whether they want to admit it or not that being 1st isn't easy, but they've been transparent, clear, and fair to the fanbase, parents, and most importantly the kids on the team.

That's something to be proud of.

And while this was a money loser of a season from a pay day perspective, we do not know if the Nike, Learfield College, or game contracts will be handled so it may end up being 1 in the same monetarily. We won't know for some time.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not assuming anything. I'm looking at a program with a dwindling schedule and no legit options to backfill for this year. Had Uconn been in a conference they would be "playing" until told otherwise. They took a bad situation and spun it to get a little good press. Nothing wrong with that. Every school in America would have done the same under similar circumstances. I'm sure that Uconn/Randy care for their players, but they don't have a monopoly on doing so.

I am sure UConn has really pissed off some power brokers in college sports with this announcement. UConn didn't have to go first, and didn't have to make a big deal about it. There have not been many opportunities to stick it to the P5 in the last 20 years, so I am glad UConn took this one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The P5's behavior in the pandemic shows the need for a stronger NCAA.

Reaction Score
You should try the search function before putting words in other posters' mouths. I was in favor of playing football this year btw, but not with a 10-11 game schedule against 10-11 different schools from all over the country. The P5 scheduling plan is reckless and has a high potential for disaster. I want no part of it or anything that looks like it.

If, in refusing to do something so obviously reckless and stupid, UConn can also make the P5 look dangerous and greedy, it seems like a win/win.

Or I can be like you, and trash the program non-stop even when they do the right thing.
Show me where I constantly trash the program - seriously, do it. I am a LONG time season ticket holder for football and hoops. And, I agree with them ditching the season because we lost so many games it'd be an exhibition anyway. I am however questioning the AD/school for not cancelling all fall sports. The AD made the final decision to go through with cancelling the season and said they wanted to be sure to protect the players. That's good. But why are we not cancelling fall sports too? Field hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc. Those kids need the same protection. My daughter played field hockey for 10+ years and my son played volleyball for that long as well. Both sports involve contact and players in very close proximity of each other. Traveling to PA, DC, RI, VA, NE, NY, IL, IN, etc doesnt sound like the best plan given the statements made by the school in the last few days. Unless of course they can guarantee that not one kid will get sick from this. Football is more challenging with the amount of kids - no doubt. But, if the school is throwing itself out there as a "leader" in all this in order to protect every student athlete that puts on a UConn jersey, then cancel everything. If they don't then there is def. a point to be made that the only reason they dropped the football season was because they knew they weren't going to have any games left. If it's about that then say it - dont try to spin in and say we did it for the kids safety unless you take the next step and include the athletes in the other sports as well. If UConn was in the Big Ten would we have cancelled now for the safety of the kids and been a leader? This was and is always about money and the lack of any games.

Reaction Score
And...the statement needs to be sold as a strong pro athlete statement. and re sold.

To counter that other strong statement that some twitterati/ and journalists have been interpreting as "We are UConn and it's only football. We are awaiting basketball season".
It appears to me that there will be great rejoicing in the ACC. BC and the ACC have succeeded in their long time goal of the destruction of the University of Connecticut athletics. They and other P5's could now forbid any nonconference games for the forseeable future in all sports. We will see.

Reaction Score
So you believe that this move was altruistic? Yeah no. Its because you are at 6 games and falling fast. If Uconn were in The ACC or B1G, they would be on board with playing games until the conference said otherwise. All this will be moot soon enough once regular students get on campus and cases spike. Hopefully we'll get football back by 2021.
Correct!! All this over-the-top concern for the health of these young men is actually nauseating. The reason why we are not playing this season comes down to dollars. Paying for the tests and the other monitoring and precautions costs dollars, losing P5 games costs dollars, finding teams to play may cost dollars, etc., etc. As the previous poster mentioned, simply question that cuts through all the crap, if we were in the B1G, ACC of even the AAC would we be canceling the season? Easy answer to that question, of course not. What was the administration's reason for not canceling the other fall sports, it had nothing to do with the physical nature of football or anything related to the actual games, the answer was that it was a BE call. Let's just hope they don't use COVID as an excuse to downgrade or eliminate the program. Does anybody honestly think this administration is above hiding behind COVID to make that type of decision?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
UCONN made the right decision for many reasons. Football is not going to happen. It is best to get in front of that and get the positive publicity. UCONN was the first undefeated FBS team to cancel the season, which means we are the National Champs.

Reaction Score
UConn made the best decision it could for UConn. What these other conferences do for themselves is for themselves. Personally, I don't think there will be a true vaccine for this mess and I'm certainly going to wait a few months before I get vaccinated. That being said, it's not my place to disparage other conferences/teams in doing what they feel is best for them. This whole thing will at some point work it's way through and then we'll all be Monday morning quarterbacks no matter which side of the fence you're on.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This whole thing will at some point work it's way through and then we'll all be Monday morning quarterbacks no matter which side of the fence you're on.

Yep, gonna be a lot of that come this fall and again this winter.

I'll be cheering for a medical solution that rolls out just in time to get us comfortable to play BB. I dont want to see us all losing out longer than we have to and we can't wait for the world to be perfect again either.

Reaction Score
My response to the “they are young athletes the risk from serious outcomes from Covid are non existent” talking points is what about offensive linemen? They are 300 pounds and would be considered high risk.

unfortunately we are seeing what can happen:
Indiana Freshman O Lineman Seriously Ill

And all because of money. The Big Ten, SEC, PAC-12, Big 12 and ACC should be ashamed of themselves.
I’m guessing Eddie Rodriguez of the Red Sox is a pretty good athlete. He is out for the season with heart issues related to Covid. Heard a presentation with an local infectious disease doc on Monday. She was talking about the inflammation problems that are a complication of this infection mainly from the body’s reaction to fight it. 4 major areas it seems to impact are heart, lungs, brain and testes. It is why folks who are “not seriously ill” from this might have longer term issues and why you hear of people who seem over the virus but have problems weeks or even months later.
As far as scheduling, I would guess that UConn could have put together a schedule of G5 teams who had lost P5 games. They chose not to do that. Maybe even a B12 team or 2. It’s disappointing but the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
I'm not assuming anything. I'm looking at a program with a dwindling schedule and no legit options to backfill for this year. Had Uconn been in a conference they would be "playing" until told otherwise. They took a bad situation and spun it to get a little good press. Nothing wrong with that. Every school in America would have done the same under similar circumstances. I'm sure that Uconn/Randy care for their players, but they don't have a monopoly on doing so.
A little off topic here but parents and athletes may see UCONN as a more desirable place to play because they truly care about the student-athlete. Is that a bad thing if it comes to be?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
People are just calling out the real reason the season was canceled.
How about, "It was a complicated call involving a number of factors, and upon weighing them all, UConn determined that for the safety of their players and to remain fiscally responsible to tax payers and donors, they have decided to cancel the season."?

Reaction Score
The P5's behavior in the pandemic shows the need for a stronger NCAA.
The P5 doesn't listen to the NCAA. Bill Self is threatning legal action against them if they sanction his program for cheating. I wonder if the schools outside sometimes wonder if its worth sticking with the association. Maybe just keep March Madness as your golden goose and let them do their own thing in basketball.

Reaction Score

UConn discussion starts @ 2:06:54ish

This was a good listen but right after Dan goes into hypocrite mode. Gonna have to drop down a level, it wasn't just listening to the players.

Reaction Score
A little off topic here but parents and athletes may see UCONN as a more desirable place to play because they truly care about the student-athlete. Is that a bad thing if it comes to be?
Yeah, just like the blue chippers come to UConn for their academic programs. Watch out USC, Penn State, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, et al. Yes, UConn cares - but that's not the point in this claim. The point is, UConn will not upgrade their current level of recruiting because they have put the players first. They will just position themselves better against Stony Brook, Maine, Buffalo and so forth.

Reaction Score
Cancelling the season is the right move, especially given how irresponsible the P5 is setting up the football season. Going first was brilliant. Be a leader, take a stand for the athletes, and showcase how irresponsible the P5 are behaving.

Playing a 10 or 11 game season against 11 different teams over a wide geographic area while 100+ people associated with each program are socializing at a university is going to fail. It is not a question of if, just when. I hope it does not have catastrophic consequences, but it could.

UConn really stuck it to a lot of people in major college athletics today. If the P5 goes through with their plans, they will be exposing their athletes to a huge risk that UConn was not willing to do. They will also be exposing the leadership of these programs to huge legal liability now that an FBS school decided it wasn't safe to play. If they don't play, they will look weak for caving to pressure.

This was the right decision for player safety, and the right decision strategically.
Only question now is when do they cancel the men's basketball season? I mean, I think they'll have to. If they're worried about spreading the disease in an outdoor stadium with the wind blowing in 40 or 50 degree weather, then playing basketball where everyone guards someone else very closely wearing small sweaty uniforms in a closed environment like a gym with coaches telling their defenders to "don't let him score, I want you to get in his face", is ringing the dinner bell for the little Covid buggers. If they don't cancel it, then it's hypocrisy raised to the nth power.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only question now is when do they cancel the men's basketball season? I mean, I think they'll have to. If they're worried about spreading the disease in an outdoor stadium with the wind blowing in 40 or 50 degree weather, then playing basketball where everyone guards someone else very closely wearing small sweaty uniforms in a closed environment like a gym with coaches telling their defenders to "don't let him score, I want you to get in his face", is ringing the dinner bell for the little Covid buggers. If they don't cancel it, then it's hypocrisy raised to the nth power.

They’ll kick that can down the road as far as they can because it’s not their call to make it’s the conference’s decision.

UConn spun not having a viable schedule the best way that they could. Say that you are canceling because of health and safety concerns and you gain some points in the media.

That being said what happens if The Big East says you have a schedule and we plan to play? Do the concerns expressed by The AD evaporate?

At this point The NCAA needs to let everybody off the hook from making these decisions by canceling sports for the year. However the next time The NCAA acts in the best interests of the athletes they claim to represent will be the first time. They’re the biggest hypocrites of them all.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom