UConn-Louisville Geno pre-game availability | The Boneyard

UConn-Louisville Geno pre-game availability

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"The schedule exposed a lot of things that wouldn't have been exposed this early if we had a traditional CB schedule. It's good and bad when you play a schedule that we play. When you play a lot of young players that haven't played they get exposed in some way and you hope it builds character rather than creates doubt."

(paraphrased, typing as listening)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Confession: I started not listening to Geno's pregame maybe 3 years ago, relying on others to report anything really meaningful.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
What happened with the ***** in Pittsburgh?
Not sure what you are referencing-why would UConn have to play Pitt for a “homecoming” game?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It sounded to me like it was a coach who had previously been at Pitt, who became the first-year head coach of a school in Canada or near the border whom Geno had wanted UConn to play, but he backed out. I don't know who that would be.

Listening to the whole interview, I thought his most interesting comments (because I hadn't heard them before) were about Aubrey. The reporter asked him to say more about her, because she hadn't talked much to reporters "probably because we ask such dumb questions". Geno said that she is a nice, honest person who aims (perhaps too much) to please and doesn't take as many risks as he would prefer, or as her talent justifies. He says that she can be a disruptive force coming into games off the bench, and that is a role that the team very much needs. Also, he says that she does very well in school and is preparing herself for whatever the future may hold (implying that her future may or may not include pro basketball).

A reporter also asked him where he thought that Aaliyah had grown the most since her freshman year. I thought he was going to say that she doesn't get into foul trouble as much now, but that isn't what he chose to say. He said that now she has a good idea of how the offense is supposed to flow, and she knows what she wants to do with the ball as soon as she gets it, rather than wondering or hesitating. He hopes that her 15 to 17 foot jump shots will go in more consistently, so that defenses have to come out and guard her, because her greatest strength is driving to the basket when she is closely guarded -- but she won't get that chance unless her jump shots go in with regularity.

Overall, a good interview, with (as is usual for Geno) few or no sports cliches and a lot of well-considered responses.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Not sure what you are referencing-why would UConn have to play Pitt for a “homecoming” game?
1702694617868.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ah, I missed this, thank you. Trying to find any team to travel as a favor to get a "beatdown" is a problem. For many mid-Major schools to host UConn helps their bottom line with the boost in ticket sales, concessions, parking and potential TV exposure but to travel to "neutral site" and get trounced.....not so sure of the benefit.

Reaction Score
Ah, I missed this, thank you. Trying to find any team to travel as a favor to get a "beatdown" is a problem. For many mid-Major schools to host UConn helps their bottom line with the boost in ticket sales, concessions, parking and potential TV exposure but to travel to "neutral site" and get trounced.....not so sure of the benefit.
The benefit is huge if the game is competitive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom