UConn Looks To Sell Itself With Both Teams In Final Four | The Boneyard

UConn Looks To Sell Itself With Both Teams In Final Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"No conference makes a university," athletic director Warde Manuel told reporters in Lincoln, Neb., after the women's team clinched its berth in the Final Four. "No conference made us. We are doing what I said we'd do all along. We will focus on ourselves and our success."

Despite being shunned by the power conferences, despite the breakup of the old Big East Conference, despite recent losing seasons in football, despite playing in a new conference with a lower profile, the American Athletic Conference, UConn is the only school in the country with both teams in the Final Four. The Huskies also are the only school to win titles in the same year, 2004. With all that as a backdrop, the Huskies continue to make a name for themselves.

"UConn's success this postseason is more important than in any other single year in its history," said Darren Rovell, ESPN's sports business reporter.

Said Manuel: "The big benefit is to our fans, our supporters, our students. And it shows the rest of the country the level of commitment to success that we have as an institution for a number of our different programs."

The most important benefit that UConn could reap from its success this month is to draw the attention of one of the so-called power conferences.

"That depends on whether or not you think the shake-up is over," Rovell said.

"Realignment is a dynamic that is not in our control," Herbst said. "It's not like we can go around, show PowerPoint presentations to prove how great UConn is that will make people fall down in admiration. It's not how this works. We need to win. We need to win a lot, across the sports. We need to take care of our student-athletes and we have to do well in school."

One common thread in the recent shake-up has been a desire on the part of conferences to tap into the New York market. The ACC looked for it in adding Syracuse, the Big Ten in inviting Rutgers, a decision it could now be second-guessing. UConn fans filled Madison Square Garden last week during the NCAA Tournament.
"We are taking advantage of every opportunity we have, like at Madison Square Garden last weekend," Herbst said. "Fairfield County? New York City? We are New York's college team. I don't think it could be any more evident than it was in the Garden."

"UConn deserves to extend its footprint more than Rutgers does, and the New York venues, Madison Square and the Barclays Center, would fight over a pinky-wink match at this point, there is so much bad blood between them," Rovell said. "So UConn could take advantage of that."

http://www.courant.com/sports/colle...nal-four-0404-20140403,0,3139762.story?page=2

Reaction Score
I think the case could be made for Louisville's selection prevented UConn from getting an ACC bid.
The Rutgers to the B1G is the exact opposite.
Without Rutgers already in we are never even on the B1G radar.
We both compliment that decision and thwart the ACC expansion goals at the same time.

Reaction Score
I think the case could be made for Louisville's selection prevented UConn from getting an ACC bid.
The Rutgers to the B1G is the exact opposite.
Without Rutgers already in we are never even on the B1G radar.
We both compliment that decision and thwart the ACC expansion goals at the same time.

Agree. Rutgers opened a path for us to be a part of the B1G. Developing a rivalry with them and Maryland would further help our chances to get into the B1G.

Reaction Score
"No conference makes a university," athletic director Warde Manuel told reporters in Lincoln, Neb., after the women's team clinched its berth in the Final Four. "No conference made us. We are doing what I said we'd do all along. We will focus on ourselves and our success."

Despite being shunned by the power conferences, despite the breakup of the old Big East Conference, despite recent losing seasons in football, despite playing in a new conference with a lower profile, the American Athletic Conference, UConn is the only school in the country with both teams in the Final Four. The Huskies also are the only school to win titles in the same year, 2004. With all that as a backdrop, the Huskies continue to make a name for themselves.

"UConn's success this postseason is more important than in any other single year in its history," said Darren Rovell, ESPN's sports business reporter.

Said Manuel: "The big benefit is to our fans, our supporters, our students. And it shows the rest of the country the level of commitment to success that we have as an institution for a number of our different programs."

The most important benefit that UConn could reap from its success this month is to draw the attention of one of the so-called power conferences.

"Realignment is a dynamic that is not in our control," Herbst said. "It's not like we can go around, show PowerPoint presentations to prove how great UConn is that will make people fall down in admiration. It's not how this works. We need to win. We need to win a lot, across the sports. We need to take care of our student-athletes and we have to do well in school."

One common thread in the recent shake-up has been a desire on the part of conferences to tap into the New York market. The ACC looked for it in adding Syracuse, the Big Ten in inviting Rutgers, a decision it could now be second-guessing. UConn fans filled Madison Square Garden last week during the NCAA Tournament.
"We are taking advantage of every opportunity we have, like at Madison Square Garden last weekend," Herbst said. "Fairfield County? New York City? We are New York's college team. I don't think it could be any more evident than it was in the Garden."

"UConn deserves to extend its footprint more than Rutgers does, and the New York venues, Madison Square and the Barclays Center, would fight over a pinky-wink match at this point, there is so much bad blood between them," Rovell said. "So UConn could take advantage of that."

http://www.courant.com/sports/colle...nal-four-0404-20140403,0,3139762.story?page=2
Some dumb article comments like the ACC wanted the NYC/NJ market so they grab upstate Cuse? But the B1G add RU and should be second guessing?? The writer must be a Cuse grad. No one(ACC) will dominate upstate even with a small private like Cuse!! Sound's to me the B1G made the wiser long term move and the ACC went with smoke-filled backroom manuevers !?! Next up ..UConn another large state U...check...mate.

Reaction Score
I will admit Cuse dominates something though in NY.....members of the media. Problem is though CR wars are about hearts and minds not disinformation.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

I actually find myself agreeing with some from ESPN.
This is absolutely one of the most important years in UConn History.
To win with one coach is great to carry that tradition on with a different coach stamps you as legitimate here to stay.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 failure to get back to 12 teams really screwed things up IMO. IF when at 8 teams the Big 12 added Cinci, Louisville, TCU, and WVU things would have been different. Suddenly Rutgers and Maryland go B1G and the ACC needs to add a team. At that point there is really not even a logical choice other than UConn.

In the end everyone would have been better off if things had worked out that way.

Really the only better scenario would have been something like this, the B1G getting Virginia and UConn, SEC getting VTEch and UNC, and the Big 12 getting Clemson, FSU, NCSt, , and Miami. Then the PAC adds Notre Dame, BYU, Pitt, and GaTEch.
You have 4-16 team conferences and nobdy that is deserving gets left out when they break away and form a huge 16 team playoff worth insane money.
Sorry Boise, SDSU, New Mexico, SMU, Houston, Tulane, Wake, BC, Cuse, Memphis, etc...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's really it - the Big 12 should have jumped with Louisville and Cincinnati along with West Virginia. They were all natural additions and would have made the football and basketball conferences stronger.

But as we've seen with realignment, logic hasn't always carried the day.

Reaction Score
The BUG has only added contiguous states, however spread out they are. Maybe NJ is considered close enough to Connecticut that it wouldn't matter.

Reaction Score
The BUG has only added contiguous states, however spread out they are. Maybe NJ is considered close enough to Connecticut that it wouldn't matter.

Yeah, this has been addressed already by some B1G officials. It's not going to matter. Connecticut is less than 5 miles away from New Jersey. It would be the height of absurdity for 5 miles to make any difference.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this has been addressed already by some B1G officials. It's not going to matter. Connecticut is less than 5 miles away from New Jersey. It would be the height of absurdity for 5 miles to make any difference.

Ft. Lee NJ to Greenwich CT is about 25 miles. Though, of course, if Gov. Chris Christie had found out that UConn was picked over Rutgers to join the B1G, he would have backed-up the George Washington bridge so badly it would have taken 25 hours just to cross it.

Reaction Score
Ft. Lee NJ to Greenwich CT is about 25 miles. Though, of course, if Gov. Chris Christie had found out that UConn was picked over Rutgers to join the B1G, he would have backed-up the George Washington bridge so badly it would have taken 25 hours just to cross it.

North Greenwich to Nyack is 5 miles.

Reaction Score
North Greenwich to Nyack is 5 miles.

Form the office park in Greenwich adjacent to Westchester Co. airport to downtown Nyack is 16 miles according to Google Maps and Nyack is in Rockland County, New York. Add 10 miles that to go south or West to get into New Jersey.

Reaction Score
Gosh darn close enough, thank you. J/K

No problem. Try having a conversation with New Yorkers over what is 'upstate' New York. I define it as above I-84/Putnam county; but, some locals insist its anything above Yonkers. I have been to Albany and the Adirondacks, that is upstate NY, not Yonkers :)

Reaction Score
Fellas.....

there are 4 Hudson river crossings by car/truck/bus in the tri-state area. None of which is more than 10-15 miles at most from the CT border (estimate - The Holland tunnel would be the farthest actual land distance). Three of those crossings are directly Jersey-NY borders. The tappan zee is NY-NY, but hopping the Palisades on the west side you basically measure in feet rather than miles to the Jersey border and the saw mill, 287, or any other route to CT is less than 5 milles from white plains.

If, in fantasy land, the BIg10 was calling, and the border continguous state thing was a hold up? Somebody should be slapped silly. Who I don't know....but I nominate Fishy to do it and pick who it should be as long as it's not me he picks to slap silly.

Reaction Score
Form the office park in Greenwich adjacent to Westchester Co. airport to downtown Nyack is 16 miles according to Google Maps and Nyack is in Rockland County, New York. Add 10 miles that to go south or West to get into New Jersey.

Oh, you're going by roads?

I was going by distance.

Reaction Score
Oh, you're going by roads?

I was going by distance.

Yes roads. I don't think anyone would like to seem me flying an airplane. My landings may result in very long hospitals stays.

Reaction Score
Yes roads. I don't think anyone would like to seem me flying an airplane. My landings may result in very long hospitals stays.

hmmmm. PR my friend, PR. Go by Sikorsky and borrow a helicopter. NJ is 10miles from CT.

Reaction Score
To quote a poster on another board:

Connecticut is not *technically* contiguous but for practical purposes, yes it actually is. The NYC market, which is now in the Big Ten's footprint, is actually included in Western Connecticut. So from Jim Delany's point of view and the Big Ten's POV, it IS a contiguous area. Or put another way, the Big Ten's television footprint is now included in Connecticut (or will be as of 2014). So it pretty much is now a Big Ten state.
KyleSLamb

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
As documented by me in a previous thread, distance between the closest points of the NJ/CT borders are far closer than the distance between East Lansing and Ann Arbor. And most of the intervening area of NY is NYC, which clearly belongs to UConn, at least basketball-wise.

EDIT: 12 miles and 50 miles respectively.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
UCONN is the state university of CT
NYC is owned by UCONN,
NYC borders directly on NJ
Therefore, CT and NJ are contiguous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online