UConn Lineup, by Actual Positions. | The Boneyard

UConn Lineup, by Actual Positions.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The UConn lineup (Kia available) is not IMO Kia(1), Saniya(2), Lou(3), Pheesa(4), and Gabby (5).

Lou is listed as a g/f. She is actually a "w." We have no "c" starting. So here's what starts:
Kia(g), Saniya(g), Lou(w), Pheesa(f), and Gabby(f).​

Subs: When Butler comes in, she becomes "c" and Dangerfield becomes "pg." Other designations don't change.

Think about it.

Reaction Score
The UConn lineup (Kia available) is not IMO Kia(1), Saniya(2), Lou(3), Pheesa(4), and Gabby (5).

Lou is listed as a g/f. She is actually a "w." We have no "c" starting. So here's what starts:

Subs: When Butler comes in, she becomes "c" and Dangerfield becomes "pg." Other designations don't change.

Think about it.
Next year's starters (1st sub):

Kia (pg)
Lou (sg)
Gabby (f)
Napheesa (f)
Azura (c/f)

Reaction Score

Think about it.
Seems to me that the natural or ideal position for are five starters are two-2's ( Kia and Saniya) and three 3's ( Lou , Phee and Gabby). That is one of the reasons our success this year has been so surprising. One has to wonder if the successful teams of the future will have a number of athletic, good ball handling wings that are interchangeable on offense and defense.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Kia (pg)
Lou (sg)
Gabby (f)
Napheesa (f)
Azura (c/f)
Seems to me that the natural or ideal position for are five starters are two-2's ( Kia and Saniya) and three 3's ( Lou , Phee and Gabby). That is one of the reasons our success this year has been so surprising. One has to wonder if the successful teams of the future will have a number of athletic, good ball handling wings that are interchangeable on offense and defense.

Last year Gary Washburn, bb writer for The Boston Globe, divided the Celtics roster into four position categories. Applying that principle, here's a go at next year's UConn roster:
Backcourt: Kia, Dangerfield, Mikayla, Bent.
Wings: Lou, Pheesa, Andi..
Swings: Gabby, Megan.
Bigs: Azure', Nat, Kyla, Batouly.​
Consider something like one of each category, plus one more for advantageous matchup.

Reaction Score
I think Gabby is point guard on offense and will defend the other teams best post scorer when on defense.

Reaction Score

Kia (pg)
Lou (sg)
Gabby (f)
Napheesa (f)
Azura (c/f)

I totally concur with your forecast. Geno, on one his shows, said that he thinks Gabby could become a guard and perfect a three shot. This would keep the four starters in tact and add Azura with a very solid bench.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Last year Gary Washburn, bb writer for The Boston Globe, divided the Celtics roster into four position categories. Applying that principle, here's a go at next year's UConn roster:
Consider something like one of each category, plus one more for advantageous matchup.
You still need Lexi Gordon in there. She's either a wing or a swing.

Reaction Score

I would just flip flop Pheesa and Megan.

Reaction Score
I totally concur with your forecast. Geno, on one his shows, said that he thinks Gabby could become a guard and perfect a three shot. This would keep the four starters in tact and add Azura with a very solid bench.

Even if she doesn't perfect the 3pt shot-- she could be a good mid-range shooter- or Gabby could do exactly what she is doing now-- and instead of having Collier as a primary low post to dump into, UCONN's offense will have two posts in which at anytime during the offense either Stevens or Collier can be in the post while the other is on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I think Gabby is point guard on offense and will defend the other teams best post scorer when on defense.

Gabby is not a point guard. Look at how Crystal Dangerfield handles the ball and can run a fastbreak. Gabby is mostly guarded by larger slower players that allows her to get in better position for assists, not the case against a PG guarding her (though she can post them if they are playing man.) Z who is a real big will guard best post player. Gabby will even be in a better position to succeed for it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Good catch!:)

Seems like -- under this system -- Lexi's role would be as a swing. :)
That sounds right to me. She seems to have no problem going inside and mixing it up.

Reaction Score
Nobody needs to think about it except Geno who is paid plenty for it

Think about it.

Reaction Score
On this year's team, I see Chong as more of a 1/2 with Nurse as a 2/1. Both are really more combo guards, but Chong probably plays the 1 sport more than Nurse. I see KLS as pretty much a pure 3. Collier's game has evolved so much, with her outside shooting, that she's like a 5/Stretch 4. Williams a 4/5. Dangerfield a 1/2, Butler a 5.

Pigeonholing these players into positions is tough, and that's part of the reason that they're so good: incredible flexibility.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I've never seen "W" shown as ones position. The only time you see Lou referred to as a guard is once in a while by Geno while the rest of the world calls her a forward.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I've never seen "W" shown as ones position. The only time you see Lou referred to as a guard is once in a while by Geno while the rest of the world calls her a forward.

OK. I'll concede the point about "W" as a position. Ditto for PG, SG, PF, or 1-2-3-4-5. Box score allows only C, G, and F.Head bang

Reaction Score
You can call Lou a wing all you want, but I've never heard an announcer say, "Now starting at wing from Hunting Beach, California, Katie Lou Samuelson. Not ever. She is a guard/small forward, although she's not small.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It was a couple of yeats ago at a UConn function in Hartford were Geno and Kevin Ollie stated that the "system" of 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 were becoming obsolete.

Geno said he looks for players who can play more than one position. Stewie could play 1 through 5. Morgan could play 3 - 5. Mo could play 1 and 2. Look at today's team. Gabby can play 1 - 5. Lou can play 1 - 5. Pheesa can play 2 - 5. This allows great flexibility in planning defensive and offensive strategies.

There will always be a point guard - Mo and now Crystal. Kia is a combo guard, plays the 1 & 2.

But look at our team now. They are long, lean, athletic. They can run and they can handle the ball and they can pass the ball. They are not your typical team. SC fits the typical team type - center (Coates), power forward (Wilson) and the other positions. Texas is a typical team as is ND and MD. And we beat them all.

Geno is ahead of the curve!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really? You not follow basketball? :confused:
Well take a look (check out the #2 rated player)

2015 Players | Prospects Nation

You can call Lou a wing all you want, but I've never heard an announcer say, "Now starting at wing from Hunting Beach, California, Katie Lou Samuelson. Not ever. She is a guard/small forward, although she's not small.
That's called a wing. She's a wing. Classic one at that.

2015 Players | Prospects Nation

Reaction Score
I do not think there are "positions" there are just roles.
In a well oil machine---except for really big ( in every way) --Uconn typically has no true positions--they play to the talent they are capable of displaying. Dolson was a Center for most of her career. Moriah was a point guard most of her Uc Career . Had we been lucky enough to get EDD--she would have been indefinable---much like LOU is she was rebounding.

Kia (pg)
Lou (sg)
Gabby (f)
Napheesa (f)
Azura (c/f)
It will be very hard to keep the improving Danger out of the line up--then that begs the question--who does she replace Azura?? Geno will have the option next year , if all works as anticipated, to platoon his teams---at least by mid season--
If you use the starting 5 as you indicate---assuming the 3 incoming frosh are as good as the media says--and Nat, Kyla, Danger and Molly are better and experienced---who rides the bench in late December??
The projected/ speculation of who may or may not be Geno's starting 5 next year --also speculates on who will practice to Geno's demands and who picks up his system quickly and works hard at it.
Will Batouly be willing to sit another year? Molly, Kyla, Nat, Danger/??.

Reaction Score
I think geno is going to split the team in 2 and they will both play in Italy in August. They will have to play their way into the line up. I don't see any freshman starting next year. I wonder how the incoming freshman are going to deal with not much playing time.

Reaction Score
In a well oil machine---except for really big ( in every way) --Uconn typically has no true positions--they play to the talent they are capable of displaying. Dolson was a Center for most of her career. Moriah was a point guard most of her Uc Career . Had we been lucky enough to get EDD--she would have been indefinable---much like LOU is she was rebounding.

It will be very hard to keep the improving Danger out of the line up--then that begs the question--who does she replace Azura?? Geno will have the option next year , if all works as anticipated, to platoon his teams---at least by mid season--
If you use the starting 5 as you indicate---assuming the 3 incoming frosh are as good as the media says--and Nat, Kyla, Danger and Molly are better and experienced---who rides the bench in late December??
The projected/ speculation of who may or may not be Geno's starting 5 next year --also speculates on who will practice to Geno's demands and who picks up his system quickly and works hard at it.
Will Batouly be willing to sit another year? Molly, Kyla, Nat, Danger/??.
Next year it will be hard to keep a lot of players out of the (starting) lineup, but there are only 5 slots. If this year's team goes on to win the NC, then I don't see and of the 4 returning starters sitting. Last night's game thread was full of, "The offense runs better with Kia in there." Danger just isn't quite "first team" yet, and that's OK - just let her keep developing. IMO to hold out Azura would be crazy. 6'6", two stellar years of P5 experience in the ACC, AA honorable mention as a soph, and media pundits speculating she may be the best player on the team and POY next year - gotta be something to that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom