uconn leadership needs to change the game... | The Boneyard

uconn leadership needs to change the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
at this point, they need to grab Cincy, Boise, BYU and USF as the last remaining schools with any value. commit to some sort of GOR and create two 8-team divisions for all sports.
this at least provides some stability, a chance for everyone to focus building their programs, and it puts the schools that will drive value in any TV deal into one conference.

If the ACC is about to be poached, Uconn and Cincy going away might just be enough to the ACC to act. Outside of Cincy, Uconn, or USF, there are no other options.

If the western schools go away, Uconn is screwed...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The only Western school that matters is Boise St.

Going to a 16 team conference just further dilutes the TV payouts.

If UConn signs a GOR to play in a 16 team conference with Tulane, UNLV, E. Carolina, etc. it's time to fold up shop.

Reaction Score
i think BYU is a game changer...
I have no problem signing on for 5 years with Cincy, USF, BYU, and Boise St. Those five schools are enough to anchor a decent league (top 6 easily).. there isn't anything else that is going to move the needle tv wise...
on the field, that league would challenge the ACC.

the point is, if the west teams decide to go alone and shut out the east, uconn is done. a GOR may be the only thing to get uconn off its current track.

Its either stay on this track where every day brings another hit to the Uconn program. or minimize the losees, get some stability, and start building the program instead of doing crisis mgt...

this move dumps the ecu's and tulane's... not enought value for them right now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm not signing a dam gor unless i get to play alabama, texas or michigan every once in a while.

Reaction Score
UConn makes $25 million a year on its lower tier rights.
If it grants those to the conference, UConn goes in the hole at least $20 million a year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If it grants those to the conference, UConn goes in the hole at least $20 million a year.

yup, example a why the acc is not the answer

Reaction Score
here's a thought... don't GOr the 3rd tier... Wow...

Reaction Score
So you want to doom UConn to a horrid conference forever? You've given up the idea of landing in a bettter spot?
not sure how you connect those dots...
by signing a GOR for 5 years, Uconn can focus on something other than getting its arse kicked every possible way in every possible medium.
I don't see how being stuck with boise, byu, fresno, cincy, usf, and ucf is worse than tulane, ecu, and temple.
its clear uconn can't join a conference that doesn't want them. so instead of blowing around like a fart in the wind, the only option i see where uconn calls its own shots is to band with the best of the rest. I don't see anyone taking cincy or uconn seriously if they think they bolt the second the acc is pillaged.
i believe the big12 doesn't gor the 3rd tier rights. If uconn gets $25m, which I doubt, then why would we sign those over to anyone.

Reaction Score
not sure how you connect those dots...
by signing a GOR for 5 years, Uconn can focus on something other than getting its arse kicked every possible way in every possible medium.
I don't see how being stuck with boise, byu, fresno, cincy, usf, and ucf is worse than tulane, ecu, and temple.
its clear uconn can't join a conference that doesn't want them. so instead of blowing around like a fart in the wind, the only option i see where uconn calls its own shots is to band with the best of the rest. I don't see anyone taking cincy or uconn seriously if they think they bolt the second the acc is pillaged.
i believe the big12 doesn't gor the 3rd tier rights. If uconn gets $25m, which I doubt, then why would we sign those over to anyone.

If the ACC loses a member soon, then UConn is stuck with this horrid GOR.

what do you mean you doubt the $25m? It's right there in black and white in the budget that's available for everyone to see.

Reaction Score
If the ACC loses a member soon, then UConn is stuck with this horrid GOR.

what do you mean you doubt the $25m? It's right there in black and white in the budget that's available for everyone to see.
you are waiting for a conference that has turned uconn down twice... if the acc loses the teams being mentioned, i'm not too upset being linked to boise, byu, and cincy.

Reaction Score
you are waiting for a conference that has turned uconn down twice... if the acc loses the teams being mentioned, i'm not too upset being linked to boise, byu, and cincy.

holy cow, you'd rather play Boise and Byu than Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and whoever remains of UNC, NC St, Duke and UVa.

That's crazy talk.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You keep saying this but you are wrong. And for someone who is always lecturing people about finances it's annoying. That 25 million represents more than the tier 3 television rights that some conferences share. UConn does pretty well on Tier 3 TV rights but it's a small piece of the 25 million you keep referencing.

UConn's 25 million includes a lot of things - which even the ACC doesn't share.

The money at risk on Tier 3 television rights for UConn is the money from SNY for the two basketball teams and the football team. The television games - not the coaches' shows or multimedia or radio rights or stadium signage or IMG.

Reaction Score
You keep saying this but you are wrong. And for someone who is always lecturing people about finances it's annoying. That 25 million represents more than the tier 3 television rights that some conferences share. UConn does pretty well on Tier 3 TV rights but it's a small piece of the 25 million you keep referencing.

UConn's 25 million includes a lot of things - which even the ACC doesn't share.

The money at risk on Tier 3 television rights for UConn is the money from SNY for the two basketball teams and the football team. The television games - not the coaches' shows or multimedia or radio rights or stadium signage or IMG.

It's everything rolled up into one. I well know that. As for your last paragraph, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

But let me put it to you this way: UConn's rights (the $25 million I'm referencing) are far and away larger than any other team's in the BE, currently, or in the recent past.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's everything rolled up into one. I well know that. As for your last paragraph, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

But let me put it to you this way: UConn's rights are far and away larger than any other team's in the BE, currently, or in the recent past.

Yes Tier 3 is all that stuff. Some conferences share the television piece of Tier 3. Nobody shares the rest.

You are so far beyond clueless it's painful.

If UConn was bringing 25 million of tier 3 revenue to share with the ACC they would have been added years ago - their Tier 3 rights alone would be worth 8 million more than the Tier 1-3 rights payout for the entire conference on average.

Even someone as lost as you are has to realize how wrong that is. That 25 million represents many more things than the Tier 3 television rights that the ACC and Big 10 share.

Reaction Score
Yes Tier 3 is all that stuff. Some conferences share the television piece of Tier 3. Nobody shares the rest.

You are so far beyond clueless it's painful.

If UConn was bringing 25 million of tier 3 revenue to share with the ACC they would have been added years ago - their Tier 3 rights alone would be worth 8 million more than the Tier 1-3 rights payout for the entire conference on average.

Even someone as lost as you are has to realize how wrong that is.

You become increasingly sillier with every post.

As I already said, I well know that it's not the entire $25m.

It is AT LEAST $15m of it, and $15m is itself higher than the BE schools. When you combine the IMG deal with the women's deal with the dual men's fball/bball, you're over $15m alone. You're just absolutely wrong to say it is a small part.

Yes, I know UConn aggregates its rights. It actually is comparable to all the other schools that do the exact same thing but manage to bring in only 1/2 the money that UConn does, and less.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You become increasingly sillier with every post.

As I already said, I well know that it's not the entire $25m.

It is AT LEAST $15m of it, and $15m is itself higher than the BE schools. When you combine the IMG deal with the women's deal with the dual men's fball/bball, you're over $15m alone. You're just absolutely wrong to say it is a small part.

Yes, I know UConn aggregates its rights. It actually is comparable to all the other schools that do the exact same thing but manage to bring in only 1/2 the money that UConn does, and less.

It's nowhere near $15 million of it. They are aggregating the number you are looking at they sell the men's and women's basketball tier 3 right separate.

You are as wrong as wrong can be. Even if it was $15 million for Tier 3 to share the ACC pays $17 million.

It's impossible to take the exact amount out of the SNY deals because it includes more than the tier 3 TV rights the ACC shares but it's probably 75-90% of the SNY deals.

Reaction Score
It's nowhere near $15 million of it. They are aggregating the number you are looking at they sell the men's and women's basketball tier 3 right separate.

You are as wrong as wrong can be. Even if it was $15 million for Tier 3 to share the ACC pays $17 million.

It's impossible to take the exact amount out of the SNY deals because it includes more than the tier 3 TV rights the ACC shares but it's probably 75-90% of the SNY deals.

You can't read obviously. I broke it down for you already. It's women's bball, then football/men's package. It's what I wrote in the previous post. And the IMG money. I think they make MORE than $15m. But it's irrelevant. As is clear to everyone reading these posts, I'm clearly referring to their licensing rights (i.e. all the other stuff packaged together). I've even said the $25m is not solely Tier 3 multiple times. But what I AM comparing in this thread is UConn's take versus the other BE schools, and UConn makes double. That's easy enough for everyone to see.

Beyond that, you're deluded to believe this is difficult to disambiguate because the coach's show, etc., adds much to the package. Ludicrous. The games bring in the vast vast vast majority of the eyeballs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can't read obviously. I broke it down for you already. It's women's bball, then football/men's package. It's what I wrote in the previous post. And the IMG money. I think they make MORE than $15m. But it's irrelevant. As is clear to everyone reading these posts, I'm clearly referring to their licensing rights (i.e. all the other stuff packaged together). I've even said the $25m is not solely Tier 3 multiple times. But what I AM comparing in this thread is UConn's take versus the other BE schools, and UConn makes double. That's easy enough for everyone to see.

Beyond that, you're deluded to believe this is difficult to disambiguate because the coach's show, etc., adds much to the package. Ludicrous. The games bring in the vast vast vast majority of the eyeballs.

Nobody shares the IMG money. Even NC State gets to keep their 4.9 million in multimedia rights.

You were talking about UConn being 20 million in the hole in this thread. Utterly totally and completely lost. Have the last word - it's probably about why UConn is better off not being in the Big 10 because of officiating.

I laughed yesterday watching a Californication that ends with academics admitting they can't function in the real world. It's nice to see that art imitating reality.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Just so you see it. 20 million in the hole. Idiocy.

Reaction Score
Nobody shares the IMG money. Even NC State gets to keep their 4.9 million in multimedia rights.

You were talking about UConn being 20 million in the hole in this thread. Utterly totally and completely lost. Have the last word - it's probably about why UConn is better off not being in the Big 10 because of officiating.

I laughed yesterday watching a Californication that ends with academics admitting they can't function in the real world. It's nice to see that art imitating reality.

There a lot of academics who can't function outside academia. There are a lot of people outside of academia who can't function. What that has to do with your sense of the world, gleaned from a TV show no less, is a mystery.

$20 million is TV rights.

You seem to think coaches shows are incredibly valuable.

The reason I deducted some off the top of the whole rights package is because I knew it wasn't just tier 3 rights. I made a crazy assumption that most of the rights revenue comes from people watching sports. But according to you, that's just a small part. The big breadwinner is the weekly Geno Auriemma show!!!!!

Reaction Score
holy cow, you'd rather play Boise and Byu than Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and whoever remains of UNC, NC St, Duke and UVa.

That's crazy talk.
Ok... but if you read my post, the teams being mentioned to leave are UVA, UNC, NC st and duke... what's left in the acc:
wf, bc, syr, pitt, uofl. that's it.
not excited....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There a lot of academics who can't function outside academia. There are a lot of people outside of academia who can't function. What that has to do with your sense of the world, gleaned from a TV show no less, is a mystery.

$20 million is TV rights.

You seem to think coaches shows are incredibly valuable.

The reason I deducted some off the top of the whole rights package is because I knew it wasn't just tier 3 rights. I made a crazy assumption that most of the rights revenue comes from people watching sports. But according to you, that's just a small part. The big breadwinner is the weekly Geno Auriemma show!!!!!

It's merely a comment on your cluelessness. Don't read too much into it.

I think coaches' shows are worthless. I am shocked by every post here that references something from an SNY press conference or show. I have no idea why anyone would watch them - but even if the games are 98% of the rake - the women's basketball deal is for 4.55 million over 4 years. The men's basketball and football deal makes all of that worth maybe 5 million a year. It's a fraction of the 25 million that would be shared.

If it were anywhere near your assumptions the ACC would fall over themselves to invite UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom