UConn, Kevin Ollie no longer have excuses. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn, Kevin Ollie no longer have excuses.

Reaction Score
Saw your post with that number. Hoping you’re wrong. If that’s right I’m afraid Ollie will be at the helm long enough to entirely run this program into the ground. Still think Hurley, Pikiell, or Crean coming in after this season could salvage things.
He isn't wrong. 10 million after the season. It's the reason I don't think he is going anywhere, unless the boosters come up with the money.

Reaction Score
Maybe the scouting was no good, how else are mid major big men better than ours? In any case that’s completely on KO. He and Chillious are supposed to stock the roster and if they can’t get the talent someone else needs to try. If this season breaks down badly in the next 4 weeks the AD should start looking, but don’t fire KO until the end of the season.
When exactly did we get a quality big? Brimah played here for 4 years without another big coming in to add depth.

Reaction Score
It would be awesome if an NBA team would be willing to roll the dice with Ollie. It would allow an amicable breakup and save us the huge buyout.

Reaction Score
"The UConn head coach and the handpicked successor to Jim Calhoun, a Hall of Famer and the man that put Storrs, Conn., on the college basketball map, is not even four years removed from winning a national title in just his second season as a head coach and he’s damn near managed to run the UConn program into the ground."

That is just brutal

Yes it is brutal, but also true unfortunately. Benedict is going to earn his pay this year...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be awesome if an NBA team would be willing to roll the dice with Ollie. It would allow an amicable breakup and save us the huge buyout.
It would be nice if that happened after win won another natty this year.

I don't think my add on made it all that much less likely.

Reaction Score
It would be nice if that happened after win won another natty this year.

I don't think my add on made it all that much less likely.

The odds of winning another national title under Kevin Ollie are virtually non existent. Making the tournament is a longshot in itself. A deep tourney run with an undisciplined, unprepared team isn't going to happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The odds of winning another national title under Kevin Ollie are virtually non existent. Making the tournament is a longshot in itself. A deep tourney run with an undisciplined, unprepared team isn't going to happen.
Kind of my point. KO was a hot property. I doubt he is viewed that way anymore.

Reaction Score
Really fair article.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/12/06/uconn-kevin-ollie-no-longer-have-excuses-for-their-struggles/

Also here is a scary thought, in our 22 remaining games, we are only favored in 8.

This is the make it or break it year for KO. UConn nation cannot afford to keep waiting.....

The last few years its been one excuse after another. UConn is too good for these damn excuses. This program has been in a dumpster long enough. It's time they let Ollie go and get a proven coach from the outside with the necessary connections. How worse can this program get before they make a damn move. And I don't mean giving him another raise!

Reaction Score
“It was like we never, you know, seen a zone before,” Ollie told reporters after Tuesday’s loss, which is not exactly high-praise coming from the man in charge of ensuring that his team sees a zone before facing Syracuse.
This quote from the face of the program, the guy who touts our great university, but who still uses poor grammar more than twenty years after obtaining his degree. Hard to imagine why no one has sat him down and indicated how bad he sounds at times and how some parents may steer their kids away from a university whose graduates can't speak properly. At times he's okay, but under pressure and when in a hurry, he resorts to old habits.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much input the staff has on what we're trying to accomplish and how to get there. Is there anyone who's track record suggests that maybe they should have more input?

Reaction Score
This quote from the face of the program, the guy who touts our great university, but who still uses poor grammar more than twenty years after obtaining his degree. Hard to imagine why no one has sat him down and indicated how bad he sounds at times and how some parents may steer their kids away from a university whose graduates can't speak properly. At times he's okay, but under pressure and when in a hurry, he resorts to old habits.

I think you've finally diagnosed what ails the program.

Losing really brings the garbage out.

Reaction Score
I could care less about his grammar, I care about his coaching. In one quick comment he basically admits he can't coach.

Reaction Score
Without an NIT (I put some value in the NIT) birth (and at least 2 wins there) he deserves to be shown the exit. This based off the present 2018 recruiting class...coupled with what our roster could look like in 2018-19. Mitigating factors =No one of substance transfers & Adams/Larrier return (asking for both is unlikely) or replacing JA/TL with 4*'s or GS 4* quality. Ok Chill?

I think meeting this threshold is reasonable (and fluedy would even agree right?) and generous for a program with such a proud history. Personally I want KO to succeed. Every game I root for the team to be successful (some here will take the L's for KO's head). Internally some/most would argue the program is a complete train wreck.

My thoughts on this year is we are not a NCAA tournament caliber team. I would be pleasantly surprised just to hear our name called (which is sad). From a return on investment perspective as it relates to the coach ect ect...

I think the administration could keep KO through next year regardless of any of my standards. Lets face it even KO on a personal level would accept the terms of this deal. He would have to if he really bleeds blue. When/if the above fails to happen I will make my feelings known. The goodwill relating to the 2013/14 title will be gone.

Until then....

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hmmmm
I doubt, based on his demeanor, that Adams is going anywhere after this year. The NBA doesn't want guys who don't play hard all the time and don't take everything seriously at all times during games. Larrier won't be going anywhere either based on his performance thus far, but Ben Gordon's stock rose precipitously when he had a dynamite finish to his third year, so who can say right now?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's not improper at all.

Any recruit whose parents would steer their kid away from UConn over Ollie's use of AAVE probably has tons of baggage that would render them a poor fit for college basketball in general.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I doubt, based on his demeanor, that Adams is going anywhere after this year. The NBA doesn't want guys who don't play hard all the time and don't take everything seriously at all times during games. Larrier won't be going anywhere either based on his performance thus far, but Ben Gordon's stock rose precipitously when he had a dynamite finish to his third year, so who can say right now?

It doesn't matter what their stock is. Kids leave regardless. Adams evidently doesn't believe his body language is that big of a deal.

Reaction Score
I could care less about his grammar, I care about his coaching. In one quick comment he basically admits he can't coach.
Understood, but it's all part of the package that recruits and families observe and likely doesn't help.

Reaction Score
It has no impact.
You don't know that.

I would guess that is has no impact most of the time. However, I can see occasional cases where it probably does have an impact. But, at this point, our crappy performance far outweighs this factor.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom