UCONN - just wow... | The Boneyard

UCONN - just wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know, I think UCONN played about 20 minutes of really good offensive basketball. And they beat a top 25 team by 33 points. This is not meant as a criticism, just to point out that even with only 20-25 minutes of really good offense, UCONN played terrific defense for pretty much the full 40 minutes and beat a very active and athletic team by a ton.

There were just so many great moments by almost every player on the floor. Sure I know at times Hartley was a bit out of control, Tuck picked up a couple of quick fouls, as did Dolson in the 1st half, but other than that, Santa should be very pleased with what he saw on the court today.

I actually agree with Lobo (Stewie is the best all around player in the nation and she's only a sophomore), and Peck (Stewie is most likely the leader for NPOY this season). But anyone who can't see that Jefferson is one of the uber elite PG's in the nation only as a sophomore isn't looking.

One of the announcers made the comment that it's been pointed out that IF Mo continues to improve as she's been doing, it's possible she could be looked at as a PG on the US National team in 2016. There are other guards who are bigger, stronger, or score more, but none play better defense, nor run their team better, than Jefferson right now.

I loved Banks' drive to the basket in the 2nd half. Great decision and a great moment for her. I loved Stokes' 5 blocks in about 10 minutes of play. I loved seeing Lawlor come in and promptly nail a 3. I loved Tuck's composure and steady play quietly putting up some very good numbers.

Every single UCONN player grabbed a rebound as UCONN out rebounded Cal 48-37. And clearly Stewie was POG. She owned the game from start to finish. One of the most complete games I've ever seen her play. Oh, and we get 2.5 more years of this. Yes Carolyn, it is unfair.

UCONN shot just under 50% from the field. 7-19 from beyond the arc (37%). 22 assists (to 8 for Cal). It was a pleasure hearing Pam and Carolyn mention time and time again what a great passing team UCONN is (in spite of the first 8-10 minutes of the game - credit Cal's defense). They lead the nation in blocks, and racked up 9 more today.

The lone negative on the stats is the 19 TO's, 11 of which came in the first half and most of those in the first 10 minutes of that half. Dolson picked up only 1 more foul after the 2 quick ones in the first half. Tuck picked up none after her 2 quick ones (and she plays really smart basketball - very high BBIQ), and no UCONN player had more than 3 fouls.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Loved Kiah getting 2 clean blocks in about 45 seconds. On the second she gave a look like: What, didn't you learn anything the first time!

On the TOs Geno did not sound too peeved. Coming off the Duke win and with the kids dispersing for Christmas from the Garden, he said he wasn't surprised.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Eric, we had great passing the first 8-10 minutes if you think they were intended for the team in gold.

Reaction Score
Eric, we had great passing the first 8-10 minutes if you think they were intended for the team in gold.

I give Cal credit for some of that. They protected the passing lanes really well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought Stewart was the only NY State player who played a good game - thought Bria had one of her worst games, Stef was not very good, and Sanaya was not playing too well either.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought Stewart was the only NY State player who played a good game - thought Bria had one of her worst games, Stef was not very good, and Sanaya was not playing too well either.
I dunno - I think you are being a little tough on the others - I thought Bria played much better in the 2nd half, I thought Stef was solid (after the first 10 minutes of the 1st half), and Saniya did play 20 minutes after all. She wasn't great, or even very good, but when you have an unreal game from Stewie, a great game from Mo, and very good games from Morgan & KML, that's usually more than enough...

Reaction Score
You only needed one of the New York Players to have a good game, to win, if they all had a good game, they would have won by 70.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not everybody had a great game. Stef was limited by foul trouble, and Bria forced too much early on. I liked Morgan's game and the hustle by Moriah, Brianna, and Kiah. Banks even did a cartwheel. She was injured last year? She looks 100% physically.

Reaction Score
Really Bria Hartley has two bad games in a row! The DUKE game she was out of control and again today some of her passes made Geno have that "what was she thinking" look on his face! She'll have a good play then 3 questionable plays then another good play..... But overall UCONN is playing good basketball, some rough patches throughout, but overall good BB!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's funny - we got over 2,500 views and 100 posts regarding the "Tennessee - just wow..." thread. I sort of thought we'd get more than 10 posts on the same titled UCONN thread, especially after a really nice win over a top 25 team...

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing about Bria. At one point about 2/3rds of the way through the first half, I said to my wife, "There's something wrong with Bria. I wonder if she's under the weather." Things got better in the second half, but not that much better.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The lone negative on the stats is the 19 TO's, 11 of which came in the first half and most of those in the first 10 minutes of that half. Dolson picked up only 1 more foul after the 2 quick ones in the first half. Tuck picked up none after her 2 quick ones (and she plays really smart basketball - very high BBIQ), and no UCONN player had more than 3 fouls.

The ESPN boxscore says 16, which is still a few more than make me happy, but if accurate, not quite as bad as 19.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
It's funny - we got over 2,500 views and 100 posts regarding the "Tennessee - just wow..." thread. I sort of thought we'd get more than 10 posts on the same titled UCONN thread, especially after a really nice win over a top 25 team...
As usual, tennessee is more interesting than UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Can you imagine the number of posts if UCONN lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom