"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach." | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only thing that is giving me some peace of mind about potentially choking is that operating at this level is once again the standard at UConn. Dan Hurley will have us in contention every single year. Are we going to be 31-3 each year heading into the tournament? No. But we should be a 4 seed or better every single season from here on out

I think that’s another trait of a Blue Blood Program, earning a good seed every tournament and doing fairly decent. Let’s make it happen.

Reaction Score
More love from our boys in this ESPN article: Do coaches and scouts all agree it's UConn vs. the NCAA tournament field?

"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach," one coach said. "Could someone beat them? Sure. But they're a different level right now."

"I didn't think twice about it," one NBA scout said. "I know the statistics about reigning national championships, but with the type of year that this has been, with the relative inconsistency at the top, I'm not sure how you go against them. They're going to play practically four home games in Brooklyn and Boston, they have a guy like Donovan Clingan playing his best ball to date, a litany of shot-makers and shot-creators.
I sincerely hope Danny and team has shut off this type of news/media to out team!

Something like 90%+ have us winning the tourney in their brackets. If ever there was a team set up to fail and take down the nations brackets, it is us.’

I hope Danny let’s Calhoun pump them up again.

We need the “eye of the tiger” again this year - even I’m not reading any more this stuff. Tomorrow is the first day of the season!

Reaction Score
I think the coach meant it as "Hawkins will be in the NBA for a long time, but Spencer is actually better at the college level" which is a point I've made since about January. Spencer does more on offense and fits with the other pieces better, despite giving something back athletically and on defense.
Spencer is the better college player in his sr year and we upgraded for this year. Hawkins was getting into the“Jordan like” zone with insane abilities but then he left - as he should have with his lottery status.

Spencer is the ”total package” which he became with a full 4 years to grow and learn.

On Spencer in the NBA? Don’t forget he’s been underestimated his whole life and I ca see him shocking people in the NBA by making a team/rotation.

Also a selfless player who impacts others with his firey attitude.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way about Shabazz. I’ve always felt that he had the highest basketball IQ of any player to ever step foot in Storrs. I think Karaban is challenging him for that crown though. They both have brilliant basketball minds, but then again so do Brady and Manning in football and neither of them will ever get into coaching.
Brady and Manning also made hundreds of millions of dollars. Not as easy to get excited to coach when you can buy a yacht and divorce a supermodel to date a different one.

Reaction Score
200.gif

Don’t understand the Jager reference but I do appreciate your name, @August_West

Reaction Score
If teams try to play our perimeter tight we can put Donovan in Adama's role and have him play near the basket. Last year we could not put Adama in Donovan's role as a perimeter passer.

Last season we had two players in our starting lineup who were flawed in the offensive half court for their position. This season there are none.

We can play iso ball with Tristen, Stephon and the much improved Hasson.

Alex has improved driving to the basket

We had no backup for Alex last season. Hopefully Jalen can continue to be that player.

We are most vulnerable if Donovan gets into foul trouble or if we play three games in three days. Our guys move a lot and you can tell from all the front rimming several were playing on tired legs in the Marquette game.

Otherwise we are a nightmare for opposing teams defenses.
One of many differences from last season is Clingan is an excellent passer out of the post which was not a strength of Sanogo. And there are more distributors and play makers on the floor at just about all times. It's crazy how on the floor we can have 3 lead guard type players who can pass and score (TN, SC, CS or HD) and a point forward (AK) who can score from anywhere on the floor (AK) along with an excellent passing and post scoring 7 footer (DK). Sam J is starting to play better after struggling for quite a long stretch. And if J Stew continues to contribute on both ends at a high level like he has the past couple of games, this team is scary good and scary deep.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
One of many differences from last season is Clingan is an excellent passer out of the post which was not a strength of Sanogo. And there are more distributors and play makers on the floor at just about all times. It's crazy how on the floor we can have 3 lead guard type players who can pasd and score (TN, SC, CS or HD) and a point forward (AK) who can score from anywhere on the floor (AK) along with an excellent passing and post scoring 7 footer (DK). Sam J is starting to play better after struggling for quite a long stretch. And if J Stew continues to contribute on both ends at a high level like he has the past couple of games, this team is scary good and scary deep.
And AK is an excellent passer as well.

Reaction Score
Was saying this to my dad, esp after reading this:

Offensive Jagernaut

I believe we will reload- with the best players for our system- and be good to very good for a long time.

Just hope we can retain LM and KY for at least 1 more year and one of them for 2.
That is one of the best articles I have ever read on UConn… now I pray we don’t lose coach Murray.. I got to believe other coaches are going to start copying us

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Was saying this to my dad, esp after reading this:

Offensive Jagernaut

I believe we will reload- with the best players for our system- and be good to very good for a long time.

Just hope we can retain LM and KY for at least 1 more year and one of them for 2.
Feels like a lot of this makes so much sense. And so, this is indeed an overseas offense and not an NBA offense? Lol

Reaction Score
Feels like a lot of this makes so much sense. And so, this is indeed an overseas offense and not an NBA offense? Lol
It never made sense to me to compare it to NBA offenses. NBA offenses are largely one action based and then read and react from there. We have read and react stuff, but it's built into the multiple actions of our sets.

There's just a lot more off ball movement stuff in our offense. NBA teams might run concurrent flair and spread pnr, but then they're attacking the advantage. We're layering 4 actions in one set.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It never made sense to me to compare it to NBA offenses. NBA offenses are largely one action based and then read and react from there. We have read and react stuff, but it's built into the multiple actions of our sets.

There's just a lot more off ball movement stuff in our offense. NBA teams might run concurrent flair and spread pnr, but then they're attacking the advantage. We're layering 4 actions in one set.
Agreed. It’s why guys like Cam, Newton, and Karaban can thrive so well as highly skilled guys. Euro offenses are made for guys like that.

Reaction Score
All of the above may be true, but it is still such a challenge to repeat. Nearly everything must fall into place, even some things beyond our direct control, as we have recently witnessed with the lazy clowns on the committee.
If we win and repeat as NC, it will be an amazing accomplishment by a wonderful team and their coaches, against all odds.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Doctor but I'm guessing it's because "Juggernaut" was spelled "Jagernaut"
Ha- you’re correct, didn’t realize that. I must have misspelled juggernaut and somehow got autocorrected to that. 100% didn’t put jagernaut but I kinda like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom