UConn is scary Good | The Boneyard

UConn is scary Good

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Lookout here comes UConn. Finally they got their rest, their players back and if these past 3 games are any indication of what is coming then OMG. UConns a team that was running on fumes is now running on High Octane. We saw it, the announcers, said it. It was complete domination, overwhelming on both sides of the ball, and a complete shutdown of opponents offense. No other team has shown that. As good as UConn looked they werent firing on all cylinders. Azzi and Caroline can now use these next 10 days to get up to speed. Now thats really scary. With the ariel attack spot on this UConn team takes no prisoners' and there will be no mercy. They show that and they did that. We saw that during the BET. That wasnt just luck. That was the healthy UConn team that we saw early on before all the injuries. I think for me the most amazin thing was watching UConn shut down Maddy who I feel is just an amazin player. To listen to fans and pollsters say UConn is a 2 or 3 seed is mindboggling. What have you been watching. UConn has showed everybody why they are a 1 seed. Stop making excuses for why some other team is a 1 seed. UConn just proved it to you.

Reaction Score
Moe than the technical aspects of the tournament dominance, what I saw these last 3 days, was a joy in the players faces that I hadn't seen for the last 2/3 of the regular season. Timeouts, quarter and half time, the team just looked like they were not having fun. These last 3 days, the spark was back, and it showed in their play. UConn is back!

Reaction Score
Offense still has issues. Hopefully Azzi can get going because we need 20 ppg Azzi.

Reaction Score
There's definitely a resurgence of sorts, but I'm not ready to proclaim them scary...unless we're talking strictly defense. Azzi still has some rust, Ducharme is touch and go, and Aubrey may or may not be injured. My definition of scary is playing poorly and you would still win. This team has already overachieved like 10 times this season. Proud of them, but realistically there's very little room for error going forward. Scoring 6 in a quarter won't do it.

Reaction Score
The first quarter rebounding worries me a tad .. UConn should have been up double digits if the didn’t give up 10 offensive rebounds other than that the defense was fantastic .. switching was really good a tad slow once or twice but that was to Villanova’s credit .. Hopefully is the tournament it doesn’t take Azzi till the 3rd quarter to heat up .. but yea this team can be really dangerous if they are on and playing fast in transition

Reaction Score
I'm back! Uconn is 90% back. We will be 100% back when Paige plays. I was right, we won !!! They are a totally different team now and the next 10 days will be a healing and practice session blessing. You can't beat the Uconn spirit and legacy. WE ARE UCONN. The NCAA tournament is the next hurdle to overcome and we now have the tools to do it. GO HUSKIES!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There's definitely a resurgence of sorts, but I'm not ready to proclaim them scary...unless we're talking strictly defense. Azzi still has some rust, Ducharme is touch and go, and Aubrey may or may not be injured. My definition of scary is playing poorly and you would still win. This team has already overachieved like 10 times this season. Proud of them, but realistically there's very little room for error going forward. Scoring 6 in a quarter won't do it.
Did it last night.

Reaction Score
The first quarter rebounding worries me a tad .. UConn should have been up double digits if the didn’t give up 10 offensive rebounds other than that the defense was fantastic .. switching was really good a tad slow once or twice but that was to Villanova’s credit .. Hopefully is the tournament it doesn’t take Azzi till the 3rd quarter to heat up .. but yea this team can be really dangerous if they are on and playing fast in transition
17 total offensive rebounds for Villanova. AND...we had the size advantage.

Reaction Score
I mentioned in my guess on the score that Geno would call off the dogs if the game was out of reach. He really doesn't want to give the selection committee a reason to leave out a deserving Big East team and if they dominate all of them that might be the result. This game was a blowout, the final score just didn't show that way.

Reaction Score
The defense was fantastic, the inside game was fantastic, the outside shooting was average at best. If they get that aspect of their game nailed down they have a very good chance of making it to the Final Four. Most people who watched them at all this weekend know they are not a 2 or 3 seed but in the end it really doesn't matter to UCONN. But I sure would hate to be the team that gets them as a 2-3 seed in the their bracket.

Reaction Score
I mentioned in my guess on the score that Geno would call off the dogs if the game was out of reach. He really doesn't want to give the selection committee a reason to leave out a deserving Big East team and if they dominate all of them that might be the result. This game was a blowout, the final score just didn't show that way.
I sensed that in the Marquette game, but this game he didn't play Ines, Ayanna or DeBerry. Everyone who played could have been a starter and the 6 points in the 4th ..ugh. They were up 25 at one point.

Reaction Score
UCONN was every bit as physical with Maddie last night as any team was with Lou this season. She makes a lot of very tough shots and has excellent BB instincts. The one area of her game that will be tested at the next level is her defense. She may have a difficult time defending the quicker athletes in the WNBA. But every team can use a player that scores 20 plus every night out.

Reaction Score
I sensed that in the Marquette game, but this game he didn't play Ines, Ayanna or DeBerry. Everyone who played could have been a starter and the 6 points in the 4th ..ugh. They were up 25 at one point.
They just played slower and seemed to be working on specific things not necessarily busting it inside like they did the rest of the game. But I agree they could have finished a lot stronger.

Reaction Score
I'd like to go back and look at how many were long rebounds off of missed 3-pointers. They were jacking up a lot of long shots. Didn't seem like many of their offensive rebounds were under the basket. I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess holding Maddy to 22 points can be considered "shut down". I told a friend before the game, hold her under 25 points and we win easily.

The shutting down was based on her efficiency, as well as when the points were scored. She had to take a lot of shots to score 20 last night, something which is unusual for her. Additionally, a healthy portion of her points were in the 4th quarter after UConn had taken a 25 point lead.

Reaction Score
They just played slower and seemed to be working on specific things not necessarily busting it inside like they did the rest of the game. But I agree they could have finished a lot stronger.
They had the game easily in hand at the end of the third and took their foot off the peddle. Coach Dillon, in her post game, said she was pleased with the way her team fought in the 4th and nearly cut it to single digits. That all sounds good, but UCONN just coasted, no real doubt about the outcome.

Reaction Score
I'd like to go back and look at how many were long rebounds off of missed 3-pointers. They were jacking up a lot of long shots. Didn't seem like many of their offensive rebounds were under the basket. I could be wrong.
2-4 were really long rebounds but more than half was right under the basket and just not boxing out ..

Reaction Score
And here is the new Massey ratings.
Screenshot_20230307-094925_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
They had the game easily in hand at the end of the third and took their foot off the peddle. Coach Dillon, in her post game, said she was pleased with the way her team fought in the 4th and nearly cut it to single digits. That all sounds good, but UCONN just coasted, no real doubt about the outcome.
Trying to make her team feel better about themselves going into the tournament ,me personally I would have kept playing on until they pulled their starters than do likewise

Reaction Score
Trying to make her team feel better about themselves going into the tournament ,me personally I would have kept playing on until they pulled their starters than do likewise
Yes, I think Nova can do some damage in the tournament. There maybe only a few teams that can hold Maddie to less than 25.

Reaction Score
The shutting down was based on her efficiency, as well as when the points were scored. She had to take a lot of shots to score 20 last night, something which is unusual for her. Additionally, a healthy portion of her points were in the 4th quarter after UConn had taken a 25 point lead.
This is spot on. If you watched the game instead of just looking at the box score, she was absolutely shut down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom