UConn is moving to the BIG East Conference in 20-21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is moving to the BIG East Conference in 20-21

UConn is returning to the BIG East Conference in 20-21.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Butch, you’re preaching to the choir. Most of us agree with you. We all know what it would take to get an invitation to join the ACC. What has UConn done in the last 6 years towards that end?

What direction are they going now? UConn needs some wins against high quality opponents over 3-4 years (shows consistency) before any P5 conference will begin to look at them seriously. Recently UConn has not been able to win games against unranked programs that they should easily dominate.

One should not venture out into the ocean for a 2-3 mile swim until he/she has mastered their skills in a pool. All UConn fans want the FB program to return to glory, lately they’ve regressed and are simply marching in place. The reality is until UConn becomes a formidable challenger, no one is going to take them seriously.

How serious can you take a program that only wins one game all year against lowly Rhode Island in a 56-49 shootout? As former Minnesota Vikings WR, and NFL HOF Chris Carter sez....."C'mon man". You lose to mid-major Temple by 50. Dominate the AAC first, then look to move up to a more prestigious conference. If you want to play with the big boys, you’ve got to be able to beat quality opponents and generate some revenue to look attractive to them. How are we doing in those areas?

First things first. Let’s get the FB program turned around and get it going in the right direction. UCF seems to be doing well. Would it be a bad idea to try and do what they’re doing? Some 11-1 or 10-2 seasons would help. Remember what Bill Parcels said about teams and their record. You go 11-1 or 10-2, you don't have to boast about your program. Records speak for themselves.

I would love nothing better than to see UConn return to it's glory days in the next few years. :)
Name the number of high Quality Coaches tried to pull Uconn out of it's position. They pulled they pushed and prodded and yet no big wins. Quite a few of those coaches win big in Maryland , ND, USC,, elsewhere--why not Uconn? NO REAL INTEREST. Face it: Uconn is a Basketball school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So UConn football will be an FBS school as an independent?
Yes UConn will continue to be an FBS school as an independent.
How will that work, and how will it advance our chances to join a P5 conference while closing the substantial budget deficit for the athletic department?
They will schedule games without the benefit of a conference schedule. The AD has, apparently, received a lot of interest in scheduling us. SNY has indicated that they are interested in buying the broadcast rights to out home games.

How does this advance our interests in joining the P5? Well you have play FBS football to join a P5 conference, definitionally, so having a team is better than not. Some have argued that leaving American hurts us and our chances to move to the P5. They may well be right. On the other hand, it is certainly a fair observation, that the move to the NBE has created some buzz for us. If we can schedule FB games and win them, I think we create a little niche for ourselves.

In any event the American was a death by a thousand cuts. It was time.

EDIT:
On closing the "substantial AD debt," I've written about this in detail a lot. I won't do it again right now. Suffice it to say that:

1) on a net basis I believe the current NBE deal to worth more than the new American deal which begins in 2020 and ends in 2032. (The just under $7M of the American deal is reduced by @$2.M in production costs and @$2M in additional travel costs.)

2) Fox has indicated that they will open the existing deal if the NBE if we were to join so the existing NBE TV deal will be higher than the current amount.

3) The current NBE Fox deal ends in a few years. It is expected to be increase when renewed.

4) SNY has indicated that it is interested in broadcasting our football games. I anticipate that they will pay seven figures for those rights.

5) The NBE is rumored to willing to let us sell our T# rights to SNY. If this happens I would fully expect it to be worth several millions of dollars.

6) Keep in mind that much of the AD deficit is illusory:

a) We current account for scholarships as if they were full freight out of state rates. No one actually pays those. A better way to account for them would be the incremental out of pocket costs.

b) We rent the Rent and the XL from the CDRA at high rates (XL is $40K a game I believe.) This is money being paid by a state organization (UConn) to a state organization (the CDRA). It has the effect of aritifically inflating the AD expenses while minimizing the deficit that the CDRA operates under. Geno has suggested that a better way to account for the profitability of these games is simple to have UConn and CDRA split the profit. This makes sense to me.

c) Some of the deficit that you are seeing is actually due to student club and rec sport programs and just student recreation. These are not actually "athletic department costs" in the traditional sense.

7) As noted above the move the NBE is estimated to reduce travel expense by $2M per year.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Name the number of high Quality Coaches tried to pull Uconn out of it's position. They pulled they pushed and prodded and yet no big wins. Quite a few of those coaches win big in Maryland , ND, USC,, elsewhere--why not Uconn? NO REAL INTEREST. Face it: Uconn is a Basketball school.

Several years ago, I ventured over to the football thread. I suggested that UConn look seriously into hiring Charlie Strong, who at that time was on his way out at Texas. That comment was bitterly rejected and scoffed at.

Well what do you know? Strong did leave Texas soon thereafter, and where did he land? Right here in the AAC with USF.
10-2 and 7-6 his first two seasons, going to bowl games both years. If UConn had dangled a large enough carrot in front of him, perhaps he would have come here. The last two years: USF 17-8 - UConn 4-20. Draw your own conclusions. :confused:

BTW, my poll is getting some action (which is exactly what I hoped for). As of this posting, 91% of the voters agree with UConn moving to the NBE. :)

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Several years ago, I ventured over to the football thread. I suggested that UConn look seriously into hiring Charlie Strong, who at that time was on his way out at Texas. That comment bitterly rejected and scoffed at.

Well what do you know? Strong did leave Texas, and where did he land? Right here in the AAC with USF.
10-2 and 7-6 his first two seasons, going to bowl games both years. If UConn had dangled a large enough carrot in front of him, he would have come here. The last two years: USF 17-8 - UConn 4-20. Draw your own conclusions. :confused:

BTW, my poll is getting some action (which is exactly what I hoped for). As of this posting, 91% of the voters agree with UConn moving to the NBE. :)
I love the "I posted this on the BY and UConn didn't do it" posts.

Spoiler Alert: That's not how things work.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I'm glad you liked it. I realize that's not how things work. I only mentioned it to show the mindset of some of the posters at the time. Right now the football program is mired in "quick sand", and can't figure how to get out.
It appears the University as forsaken the team by going off in another direction that they can't. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm glad you liked it. I realize that's not how things work. I only mentioned it to show the mindset of some of the posters at the time. Right now the football program is mired in "quick sand", and can't figure how to get out.
It appears the University as forsaken the team by going off in another direction they can't. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:
Sure. Keep in mind that my BY suggestions will have the same force and effect of yours. (ie., none)

First take a look at this post which talks a lot about finances:
They will schedule games without the benefit of a conference schedule. The AD has, apparently, received a lot of interest in scheduling us. SNY has indicated that they are interested in buying the broadcast rights to out home games.

How does this advance our interests in joining the P5? Well you have play FBS football to join a P5 conference, definitionally, so having a team is better than not. Some have argued that leaving American hurts us and our chances to move to the P5. They may well be right. On the other hand, it is certainly a fair observation, that the move to the NBE has created some buzz for us. If we can schedule FB games and win them, I think we create a little niche for ourselves.

EDIT:
On closing the "substantial AD debt," I've written about this in detail a lot. I won't do it again right now. Suffice it to say that:

1) on a net basis I believe the current NBE deal to worth more than the new American deal which begins in 2020 and ends in 2032. (The just under $7M of the American deal is reduced by @$2.M in production costs and @$2M in additional travel costs.)

2) Fox has indicated that they will open the existing deal if the NBE if we were to join so the existing NBE TV deal will be higher than the current amount.

3) The current NBE Fox deal ends in a few years. It is expected to be increase when renewed.

4) SNY has indicated that it is interested in broadcasting our football games. I anticipate that they will pay seven figures for those rights.

5) The NBE is rumored to willing to let us sell our T# rights to SNY. If this happens I would fully expect it to be worth several millions of dollars.

a) We current account for scholarships as if they were full freight out of state rates. No one actually pays those. A better way to account for them would be the incremental out of pocket costs.

b) We rent the Rent and the XL from the CDRA at high rates (XL is $40K a game I believe.) This is money being paid by a state organization (UConn) to a state organization (the CDRA). It has the effect of aritifically inflating the AD expenses while minimizing the deficit that the CDRA operates under. Geno has suggested that a better way to account for the profitability of these games is simple to have UConn and CDRA split the profit. This makes sense to me.

c) Some of the deficit that you are seeing is actually due to student club and rec sport programs and just student recreation. These are not actually "athletic department costs" in the traditional sense.

7) As noted above the move the NBE is estimated to reduce travel expense by $2M per year.

Second, the reason we are in this hole on the field is that our extraordinarily bad football hire (the lunatic Diaco) made extraordinarily bad (as in nonsensical) recruiting decisions. We have been playing mostly underclassman the last two years and it has had predictably bad results. As these players mature and as we recruit new better quality ones the on the field product will improve. There is no easy way out of the hole were in. It took six years to dig it. It will take at least 4 to fill it back in.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sure. Keep in mind that my BY suggestions will have the same force and effect of yours. (ie., none)

First take a look at this post which talks a lot about finances:

Second, the reason we are in this hole on the field is that our extraordinarily bad football hire (the lunatic Diaco) made extraordinarily bad (as in nonsensical) recruiting decisions. We have been playing mostly underclassman the last two years and it has had predictably bad results. As these players mature and as we recruit new better quality ones the on the field product will improve. There is no easy way out of the hole were in. It took six years to dig it. It will take at least 4 to fill it back in.

Sounds like a plan. In the mean time the "REAL" UConn fans and boosters had better get their butts in those seats for the home games the next few years and support the team (not to mention the boost in the much needed additional revenue). Potential recruits look at things like that. They ask themselves...................how much fan support does this team get? I think we both agree that in order to win, you've got to have (and attract) good players. 1-11 doesn't get the attention of the nation's best recruits. Things don't look any better for the upcoming season either: UConn picked to finish last in preseason AAC football poll.

A full stadium is more impressive to a visiting potential recruit (and those watching on TV) than one that's 60% empty. :eek: Nobody wants to play in front of a bunch of empty seats. Especially if they're not winning. What's that old saying: Build it and they will come. There's another one: WIN, and they will come. Everyone likes a winner, and wants to be part of it. I'm with you, and I wish UConn all the luck in the world. ;)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

EDIT:

I appreciate the detailed response. IMO, it remains unlikely that UConn will ever develop a football program as an independent that will make the school attractive to a P5 conference. That goal cannot be the primary motivation for maintaining an FBS football program.

I also fear a further deterioration of UConn Football’s competitiveness as an independent. Scheduling will be a significant challenge unless UConn is prepared to be cannon fodder for big time programs that are looking to beat up on a cupcake between conference matchups.

With no opportunity to compete for a league championship or appear in bowl games, recruiting will be even more difficult than it is today. A further decline in competitiveness and recruiting will likely impact attendance and revenue negatively as well. I just don’t see how this works in the end.

Reaction Score
@Butch, @Carnac, others----Get real! The AAC is gone. The ACC isn't possible for the next 10 years, the BE is what Uconn has and was a good home. No it's not the same old home true but comfortable. Louisville ND, Rutgers, etc have moved on. uCONN CAN play them every year if they choose. So what's the big deal ---if you want foot ball--cheer for OKLA , TX, Arkansas (I do). Dance with the girl you brought to the party.
We're still not dropping football. And you have no idea what'll happen when.

CL82

Reaction Score
I appreciate the detailed response. IMO, it remains unlikely that UConn will ever develop a football program as an independent that will make the school attractive to a P5 conference. That goal cannot be the primary motivation for maintaining an FBS football program.

I also fear a further deterioration of UConn Football’s competitiveness as an independent. Scheduling will be a significant challenge unless UConn is prepared to be cannon fodder for big time programs that are looking to beat up on a cupcake between conference matchups.

With no opportunity to compete for a league championship or appear in bowl games, recruiting will be even more difficult than it is today. A further decline in competitiveness and recruiting will likely impact attendance and revenue negatively as well. I just don’t see how this works in the end.
I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score

Well bless your heart! As a uconn fan, I support all teams and sports. Support each other 100 % and you would be amazed how much more we could accomplish.

Reaction Score
I would respectfully suggest that you are speaking in the past tense. UConn's move to the Big East clearly indicates a recognition that membership in the Big 10 or any other P5 conference is a pipe dream.
Absolutely not. Sit back and cheer for the women's team. Leave the administrative issues to people who are in charge.

This is basic business. Everyone knows UConn has a huge fanbase and access to some of the largest and densest markets in the whole country.

Gotta love how our own fans think UConn is going to remain in a conference of mostly smaller Catholic schools for perpetuity and denigrate the school's other programs constantly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Absolutely not. Sit back and cheer for the women's team. Leave the administrative issues to people who are in charge.

This is basic business. Everyone knows UConn has a huge fanbase and access to some of the largest and densest markets in the whole country.

Gotta love how our own fans think UConn is going to remain in a conference of mostly smaller Catholic schools for perpetuity and denigrate the school's other programs constantly.
The one constant in life is change. So yes, I agree that some day UConn may find reason to leave the Big East. But I feel completely safe in saying that UConn will not gain membership in a P5 conference during my lifetime, and probably not in yours either.

CL82

Reaction Score
The one constant in life is change. So yes, I agree that some day UConn may find reason to leave the Big East. But I feel completely safe in saying that UConn will not gain membership in a P5 conference during my lifetime, and probably not in yours either.
Perhaps, but your zeal in saying so repeatedly is a little off putting to many of us.

Reaction Score
Butch, you’re preaching to the choir. Most of us agree with you. We all know what it would take to get an invitation to join the ACC. What has UConn done in the last 6 years towards that end?

What direction are they going now? UConn needs some wins against high quality opponents over 3-4 years (shows consistency) before any P5 conference will begin to look at them seriously. Recently UConn has not been able to win games against unranked programs that they should easily dominate.

One should not venture out into the ocean for a 2-3 mile swim until he/she has mastered their skills in a pool. All UConn fans want the FB program to return to glory, lately they’ve regressed and are simply marching in place. The reality is until UConn becomes a formidable challenger, no one is going to take them seriously.

How serious can you take a program that only wins one game all year against lowly Rhode Island in a 56-49 shootout? As former Minnesota Vikings WR, and NFL HOF Chris Carter sez....."C'mon man". You lose to mid-major Temple by 50. Dominate the AAC first, then look to move up to a more prestigious conference. If you want to play with the big boys, you’ve got to be able to beat quality opponents and generate some revenue to look attractive to them. How are we doing in those areas?

First things first. Let’s get the FB program turned around and get it going in the right direction. UConn needs to find a coach that will come in and do for them what Steve Spurrier (the old ball coach) did for South Carolina. UCF seems to be doing well. Would it be a bad idea to try and do what they’re doing? Some 11-1 or 10-2 seasons would help. Remember what Bill Parcels said about teams and their record. You go 11-1 or 10-2, you don't have to boast about your program. Records speak for themselves.

I would love nothing better than to see UConn return to it's glory days in the next few years. :)
The powers that be know what the school and market provides. Why would they not want to profit off that?

Like I said, simple business. Football program had 2 bad hires. Skip Holtz could have done better.

Reaction Score
Definitely not mine. And fine with me. If I was healthy, I'd say in my lifetime, though.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
@Butch, @Carnac, others----Get real! The AAC is gone. The ACC isn't possible for the next 10 years, the BE is what Uconn has and was a good home. No it's not the same old home true but comfortable. Louisville ND, Rutgers, etc have moved on. uCONN CAN play them every year if they choose. So what's the big deal ---if you want foot ball--cheer for OKLA , TX, Arkansas (I do). Dance with the girl you brought to the party.
Cheer for who? Huh? Did you got to UConn or just a subway alum for the front running programs?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but your zeal in saying so repeatedly is a little off putting to many of us.
I have a number of good friends who played football at UConn back in the Yankee Conference days when the team was very competitive. I would love for UConn football to be competitive again. UConn rolled the dice in the hope that by elevating football to D1 status, they could establish the basis for entry into a P5 conference. I don’t even have a problem with UConn taking their best shot at a P5. As Rutgers can attest, P5 membership is not a panacea. This past year the Scarlet Knights went 1-11 on the gridiron (0-9 in the Big), attendance is plummeting and the university is losing millions.

I don’t intend to come off as zealous. My hope is to inject a hint of realism into this discussion. This past year, UConn home football games averaged approximately 21,000 fans, a significant decline from prior years. As I have suggested before, my benchmark for UConn Sports is not Rutgers. It’s Villanova, a school that remains a national power in MBB while fielding a very competitive FCS football program. If UConn were to set it’s sights a little lower relative to football, perhaps all of UConn’s sports teams could thrive.

Reaction Score
I have a number of good friends who played football at UConn back in the Yankee Conference days when the team was very competitive. I would love for UConn football to be competitive again. UConn rolled the dice in the hope that by elevating football to D1 status, they could establish the basis for entry into a P5 conference. I don’t even have a problem with UConn taking their best shot at a P5. As Rutgers can attest, P5 membership is not a panacea. This past year the Scarlet Knights went 1-11 on the gridiron (0-9 in the Big), attendance is plummeting and the university is losing millions.

I don’t intend to come off as zealous. My hope is to inject a hint of realism into this discussion. This past year, UConn home football games averaged approximately 21,000 fans, a significant decline from prior years. As I have suggested before, my benchmark for UConn Sports is not Rutgers. It’s Villanova, a school that remains a national power in MBB while fielding a very competitive FCS football program. If UConn were to set it’s sights a little lower relative to football, perhaps all of UConn’s sports teams could thrive.
I highly doubt we'll join the CAA. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Zeal to step the whole athletic department down, just because we haven't sold out in football lately.

The fact UConn has the potential to sell out football with the right conference affiliation and competitive team speaks for itself. We hosted Michigan not too long ago...

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I have been enjoying UCONN women's basketball for several years. I'm on the BY in June & July trolling for any tid bit about the kids, team, or program.

For years everyone talks about how bad the conference is and how it would be better for the team if week in and week out they were to play aginst better players and teams. To which I agree. Even to the point of getting beat. I agree that playing aginst higher level teams is good for the girls at the end of year tournament. So going to the "NBE" to me is good for the girls and the basketball program.

Not sure I actully knew UCONN had a FB program. Never saw a game. Never looked for a game. Have no desire to see a game. I could go for quite a long time listing things about UCONN FB I don't know. Actully, one could assume I couldn't possibly care less about UCONN FB and they would be correct. But hey, that's just me, a UCONN "womens basketball" fan.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As a non-UConn fan I see raised several times the issue of being a "basketball" school.

I think that's a realistic assessment based on our years competing against you at Rutgers.

Now that we are in Tucson, I can tell you that Arizona is a basketball school and Tucson a basketball town. No one really wants football to fail, but the success or lack of it in football doesn't drive the bus - neither does the lack of success in WBB before this years WNIT championship. It is all about men's BB.

That said, to their credit, the athletic department does want football success and has been working diligently to get there. To be determined.

As to the comment above about Rutgers and the B1G - I'll give one big "yeah, but" - football hasn't been successful and their are, apparently, real doubts about the head coach. That said, joining the B1G just helped build a huge practice and office facility for the basketballs, wrestling and gymnastics programs opening over the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
I'm a long long long time Uconn fan and I DON"T want Uconn in the ACC--no way o'shea! The NEW B.E. is perfect right now for Uconn . A decent league with old time competitors and a way to get priorities come NCAA time with winning the league title. Good old time friends, not travel to MARS to play in the league--good all around. I don't know WHO wants the ACC they must be the ND fans on this board..

You should be willing to crawl over broken glass to be in the acc. It’s big money, in a power basketball league. That league should align North / south in football, imo (but I guess won’t) , which would be even better fit for football.

Reaction Score

I think his comment was more in relation to how some BY posters will berate people for opinions that, in retrospect, might have been good ones—NOT in relation to how BY posts affect UConn decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom