UConn is moving to the BIG East Conference in 20-21 | The Boneyard

UConn is moving to the BIG East Conference in 20-21

UConn is returning to the BIG East Conference in 20-21.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What a move to the Big East means for UConn women's basketball
It isn't the dream that UConn women's basketball fans wanted -- going to the ACC -- but the move to the "new" Big East is still a good thing for the Huskies program, both for the immediate future and for long range.

The high-stakes game of conference musical chairs -- motivated by football -- of the past several years ended some longtime rivalries, erased some logical geographical ties, and left some schools with few desirable options. Hence the launch in 2013 of the American Athletic Conference, a league that's rather like a drawer of socks that don't match.

In women's basketball, it put the 11-time NCAA champion Huskies in a conference in which they've gone unbeaten -- and mostly unchallenged -- for six years (120-0). To be fair, the Huskies also dominated the previous incarnation of the Big East for their last 20 years in it, going 314-18 in the league regular season from 1993-94 to 2012-13, and winning 16 of the 20 conference tournaments in that stretch.

[Article]

Should UConn have stayed in the AAC (all things considered), or is the NBE a much better fit for the them all the way around?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I view the move to the Big East as long overdue. But I also view it only as step 1 in UConn’s push to establish fiscal responsibility with their athletic department. IMO, step 2 involves either downgrading football to FCS or eliminating it entirely.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is the thread title accurate? Unless I've missed something, it's TBD whether the move will happen for the 20-21 season. I believe UConn has said they'd like to complete it by then, but it would likely entail paying a heftier exit fee that will have to be negotiated with the AAC.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the State of Connecticut will take the least expense way to pay for the transition to the Big East and if that means joining for the 20-21 season is the least costly route, then they will do it. By the same token, the State of Connecticut has not wholeheartedly supported UConn football since I left in 1964. I remember that we would lose consistently to Maine, Vermont, Delaware, and Rhode Island. Throughout the years, the program really has not achieved. There was a blip that allowed attendance to a bowl game, but when reality set in during the Oklahoma game, the result of the defeat and the coach leaving put UConn back into it's place again. Since then, they have not paid the millions it would take to have a top 10 football coach. Even the current coach could not compete in the Big 10. Whatever happens at this point is just the result of years of casual support to the football program. Basketball, on the other hand, provides "Pride" and success for the State University and it's residents. The Big East is the best fit. And, in my opinion, the Big East as well as UConn will have the opportunity to improve and get better because of UConn participation. At least, the Big East, has a recognizable basketball tradition from the participating Univerisities that can attract top candidates and improve competition. Now you can bash everything I have said.

Reaction Score
What a move to the Big East means for UConn women's basketball
It isn't the dream that UConn women's basketball fans wanted -- going to the ACC -- but the move to the "new" Big East is still a good thing for the Huskies program, both for the immediate future and for long range.

The high-stakes game of conference musical chairs -- motivated by football -- of the past several years ended some longtime rivalries, erased some logical geographical ties, and left some schools with few desirable options. Hence the launch in 2013 of the American Athletic Conference, a league that's rather like a drawer of socks that don't match.

In women's basketball, it put the 11-time NCAA champion Huskies in a conference in which they've gone unbeaten -- and mostly unchallenged -- for six years (120-0). To be fair, the Huskies also dominated the previous incarnation of the Big East for their last 20 years in it, going 314-18 in the league regular season from 1993-94 to 2012-13, and winning 16 of the 20 conference tournaments in that stretch.

[Article]

Should UConn have stayed in the AAC (all things considered), or is the NBE a much better fit for the them all the way around?
I'm a long long long time Uconn fan and I DON"T want Uconn in the ACC--no way o'shea! The NEW B.E. is perfect right now for Uconn . A decent league with old time competitors and a way to get priorities come NCAA time with winning the league title. Good old time friends, not travel to MARS to play in the league--good all around. I don't know WHO wants the ACC they must be the ND fans on this board..

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the State of Connecticut will take the least expense way to pay for the transition to the Big East and if that means joining for the 20-21 season is the least costly route, then they will do it. By the same token, the State of Connecticut has not wholeheartedly supported UConn football since I left in 1964. I remember that we would lose consistently to Maine, Vermont, Delaware, and Rhode Island. Throughout the years, the program really has not achieved. There was a blip that allowed attendance to a bowl game, but when reality set in during the Oklahoma game, the result of the defeat and the coach leaving put UConn back into it's place again. Since then, they have not paid the millions it would take to have a top 10 football coach. Even the current coach could not compete in the Big 10. Whatever happens at this point is just the result of years of casual support to the football program. Basketball, on the other hand, provides "Pride" and success for the State University and it's residents. The Big East is the best fit. And, in my opinion, the Big East as well as UConn will have the opportunity to improve and get better because of UConn participation. At least, the Big East, has a recognizable basketball tradition from the participating Univerisities that can attract top candidates and improve competition. Now you can bash everything I have said.
As and ""ah ah" Old? dog--hey kid, Connecticut isn't smart with tax money but not having Football as a money sucking sport tends to speak well for Uconn. If uconn had OKLA or ARK type fans who always drive 100000 miles to park their RV's and party for a week before and a week after, may be Conn would spend the money. Money OuT requires MONEy in. I detest the wasteful Conn spending--but this is smart. Basketball for nearly100 years has been Uconns sport--accept it.

Reaction Score
I'm a long long long time Uconn fan and I DON"T want Uconn in the ACC--no way o'shea! The NEW B.E. is perfect right now for Uconn . A decent league with old time competitors and a way to get priorities come NCAA time with winning the league title. Good old time friends, not travel to MARS to play in the league--good all around. I don't know WHO wants the ACC they must be the ND fans on this board..
The ACC is far preferable to the new Big East. Our actual old Big East rivals, majority are in the ACC now. Geno even said this Big East is not the same.

Reaction Score
As and ""ah ah" Old? dog--hey kid, Connecticut isn't smart with tax money but not having Football as a money sucking sport tends to speak well for Uconn. If uconn had OKLA or ARK type fans who always drive 100000 miles to park their RV's and party for a week before and a week after, may be Conn would spend the money. Money OuT requires MONEy in. I detest the wasteful Conn spending--but this is smart. Basketball for nearly100 years has been Uconns sport--accept it.
Not true. We have 25 conference championships in football. Basketball had no fandom 100 years ago.

Holy cow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, if you had asked me before the last media deal, I would have said 'stay the course' but the length of the deal, the loss of SNY coverage, and the transfer of production costs made it a bad deal for UConn. It is going to be tough to schedule football as an independent but if we can pull off... and win some games... I think this will end up being a good move for UConn.

The AAC was death by a thousand cuts for us. We were an outlier in what had become a southern/western conference. It was good money and exposure for the CUSA teams that make up the bulk of it but neither for us.

FWIW I think we end up making more money in the NBE. Our AAC deal was $6.95M in 2032, less at the start. We'd be responsible for productions costs which have been estimated at #1.5M-$2M annually, and that's not including our initial investment in the infrastructure to do it. Plus we save @$2M per year in travel costs.

On a net basis we are better off in the NBE and that only gets better if they let us sell our T3 rights to SNY.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This drop/eliminate football talk gets so old and out of touch with reality. Every land grant school besides Vermont has one.
Notably, Vermont dropped football so they could afford to fund the rest of their athletic programs.

Reaction Score
Notably, Vermont dropped football so they could afford to fund the rest of their athletic programs.
And that isn't going to happen here, since UConn aspires to be like Big Ten schools, not Vermont. Geez.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And that isn't going to happen here, since UConn aspires to be like Big Ten schools, not Vermont. Geez.
I would respectfully suggest that you are speaking in the past tense. UConn's move to the Big East clearly indicates a recognition that membership in the Big 10 or any other P5 conference is a pipe dream.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not true. We have 25 conference championships in football. Basketball had no fandom 100 years ago.

Holy cow.
Yes, and those 25 conference championships dating back to 1901 were in the Athletic League of New England State Colleges, New England Conference, Yankee Conference and Big East, all of which are no longer in existence as football conferences.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would respectfully suggest that you are speaking in the past tense. UConn's move to the Big East clearly indicates a recognition that membership in the Big 10 or any other P5 conference is a pipe dream.
Disagree. We will continue FBS football. The Big 10 institutions are exactly the institutions that are consistent with who we are/aspire to be. As much as we were a bad fit in the American, we are a bad fit in the NBE. Small private Catholic colleges are neither who we are nor who we aspire to be. If a path to the P5 opens we will sprint down it in heartbeat. I don't see it happening in the near term, but it would be foolish not to optimize our chances.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The ACC is far preferable to the new Big East. Our actual old Big East rivals, majority are in the ACC now. Geno even said this Big East is not the same.

Butch, you’re preaching to the choir. Most of us agree with you. We all know what it would take to get an invitation to join the ACC. What has UConn done in the last 6 years towards that end?

What direction are they going now? UConn needs some wins against high quality opponents over 3-4 years (shows consistency) before any P5 conference will begin to look at them seriously. Recently UConn has not been able to win games against unranked programs that they should easily dominate.

One should not venture out into the ocean for a 2-3 mile swim until he/she has mastered their skills in a pool. All UConn fans want the FB program to return to glory, lately they’ve regressed and are simply marching in place. The reality is until UConn becomes a formidable challenger, no one is going to take them seriously.

How serious can you take a program that only wins one game all year against lowly Rhode Island in a 56-49 shootout? As former Minnesota Vikings WR, and NFL HOF Chris Carter sez........................."C'mon man". You lose to mid-major Temple by 50. Dominate the AAC first, then look to move up to a more prestigious conference. If you want to play with the big boys, you’ve got to be able to beat quality opponents and generate some revenue to look attractive to them. How are we doing in those areas?

First things first. Let’s get the FB program turned around and get it going in the right direction. UConn needs to find a coach that will come in and do for them what Steve Spurrier (the old ball coach) did for South Carolina. UCF seems to be doing well. Would it be a bad idea to try and do what they’re doing? Some 11-1 or 10-2 seasons would help. Remember what Bill Parcels said about teams and their record. You go 11-1 or 10-2, you don't have to boast about your program. Records speak for themselves.

I would love nothing better than to see UConn return to it's glory days in the next few years. :)

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Disagree. We will continue FBS football. The Big 10 institutions are exactly the institutions that are consistent with who we are/aspire to be. As much as we were a bad fit in the American, we are a bad fit in the NBE. Small private Catholic colleges are neither who we are nor who we aspire to be. If a path to the P5 opens we will sprint down it in heartbeat. I don't see it happening in the near term, but it would be foolish not to optimize our chances.
So UConn football will be an FBS school as an independent? How will that work, and how will it advance our chances to join a P5 conference while closing the substantial budget deficit for the athletic department?

Reaction Score
So UConn football will be an FBS school as an independent? How will that work, and how will it advance our chances to join a P5 conference while closing the substantial budget deficit for the athletic department?
So your concern is a budget deficit for an athletic department when the country is 22 trillion in debt?

I am sure UConn will find a solution for a much more manageable problem.

Oh, the football program is strangely claiming a 1924 national title. Same year Notre Dame won their first FB title. Notre Dame and UConn had players on Hartford's NFL franchise in 1926.

Yeah, we are nothings in football. Had pro players in football before any other sport at UConn.

Reaction Score
I view the move to the Big East as long overdue. But I also view it only as step 1 in UConn’s push to establish fiscal responsibility with their athletic department. IMO, step 2 involves either downgrading football to FCS or eliminating it entirely.
100 or so Scholarships/year WOw!. !00 OR SO fully equiped player WOW. Associated equipment WOw, 2 FOOTBALL ARENA'S DOUBLE WOW. COACHING SALARIES, WOW. What is the financial return? What is the fan base? Who fill the seats? Can they ever become nationally competitive? The answers tell the story. UConn is a Basketball oriented University and maybe state. Why throw Tax money down the drain?? Oh, yes this IS Conneticut where tax dollars historically are down many unnecessary drain????

Reaction Score
So your concern is a budget deficit for an athletic department when the country is 22 trillion in debt?

Oh, the football program is strangely claiming a 1924 national title. Same year Notre Dame won their first FB title. Notre Dame and UConn had players on Hartford's NFL franchise in 1926.

Yeah, we are nothings in football. Had pro players in football before any other sport at UConn.
kind sir or madame pray tell: hOW IS Uconn football or athletics involved with the national debt. One, can be handled by Uconn the other no one can handle it---until it explodes. Stay within the threat---!!! discuss Uconn next you'll be discussing Race, Iran, Iraq, Formus, etc---stay within the thread.

Reaction Score
^^^ this. No conference wants to dilute their current income by adding new members that can’t actually pay for themselves.

Reaction Score
You know that they aspire to be Big 10? How? Geno actually said the BE isn't the old BE--yet he pushed to join the BE, WHY?? UConn athletic management or school management or Geno are not idiots--so why is Geno happy to leave the AAC, since he almost invented it. The AC c has teams from the BE that is true. What is the need to be in that league, other than the money derived from that from FB (which Uconn will never see) . A big fish in a little pond (BE) is better than being in a tiny pond or a swamp. I have no desire to see Uconn in the AcC--Yankee's find the southern speech pattern hard to emulate (take it from one who had to learn).

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

See Broadway's post below

kind sir or madame pray tell: hOW IS Uconn football or athletics involved with the national debt. One, can be handled by Uconn the other no one can handle it---until it explodes. Stay within the threat---!!! discuss Uconn next you'll be discussing Race, Iran, Iraq, Formus, etc---stay within the thread.

Reaction Score
@Butch, @Carnac, others----Get real! The AAC is gone. The ACC isn't possible for the next 10 years, the BE is what Uconn has and was a good home. No it's not the same old home true but comfortable. Louisville ND, Rutgers, etc have moved on. uCONN CAN play them every year if they choose. So what's the big deal ---if you want foot ball--cheer for OKLA , TX, Arkansas (I do). Dance with the girl you brought to the party.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom