UConn is moving to the BIG East Conference in 20-21 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn is moving to the BIG East Conference in 20-21

UConn is returning to the BIG East Conference in 20-21.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t intend to come off as zealous. My hope is to inject a hint of realism into this discussion.
Mmm, I kind of get the sense that in your world view "injecting realism" is you trying to impose your opinion. Fair enough, I guess, that's what we do here, talk right? But expect it to be viewed critically when it becomes repetitive. As I am fond of pointing out "The way things are is the way that they will always be" is the mantra of small minds.

I feel as if you and I (but it may have been other posters on this board) have talked about this before. "Realism" was that UConn never won a championship, until I listed the 20 something that UConn football has won over the years. Then realism was that we can't fill a stadium, until I posted the attendance totals. With a successful team UConn used to pack the Rent. Heck even after a miserable 8 year run we are still averaging 21K a game. Think about that number a second. More people are watching those games that a sold out XL or two sold out Gampels.

I fully expect UConn football to be successful again. It takes time. I fully expect UConn MBB to be successful again as well. The difference is BB plays 5 at a time. It is much easier to fix a BB program than a football program. Hopefully we'll see more improvement this year but it will take time.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think his comment was more in relation to how some BY posters will berate people for opinions that, in retrospect, might have been good ones—NOT in relation to how BY posts affect UConn decision.
Lol, well it is a message board right? The whole purpose of posting is discussion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mmm, I kind of get the sense that in your world view "injecting realism" is you trying to impose your opinion. Fair enough, I guess, that's what we do here, talk right? But expect it to be viewed critically when it becomes repetitive. As I am fond of pointing out "The way things are is the way that they will always be" is the mantra of small minds.

I feel as if you and I (but it may have been other posters on this board) have talked about this before. "Realism" was that UConn never won a championship, until I listed the 20 something that UConn football has won over the years. Then realism was that we can't fill a stadium, until I posted the attendance totals. With a successful team UConn used to pack the Rent. Heck even after a miserable 8 year run we are still averaging 21K a game. Think about that number a second. More people are watching those games that a sold out XL or two sold out Gampels.

I fully expect UConn football to be successful again. It takes time. I fully expect UConn MBB to be successful again as well. The difference is BB plays 5 at a time. It is much easier to fix a BB program than a football program. Hopefully we'll see more improvement this year but it will take time.
For the record, I never suggested that UConn never won a football championship. I grew up in CT when the Huskies were winning championships in the Yankee Conference. I have expressed my concern about the recent decline in attendance, and I will continue to question whether or not it is prudent for UConn to continue to support an FBS football program with the primary goal to gain entrance into a P5 conference. It would be fantastic if my skepticism regarding the direction of UConn football was proven to be incorrect. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
UConn had 4 NCAA tourney wins before Calhoun came along. Yup, we've been a basketball school for almost 100 years. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I have not read every article on the move from the AAC to the NBE, but why didn't the football team stay in the AAC? Seems to me that would have solved the football problem. It was said earlier that some of UConn's teams never went in the AAC.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have not read every article on the move from the AAC to the NBE, but why didn't the football team stay in the AAC? Seems to me that would have solved the football problem. It was said earlier that some of UConn's teams never went in the AAC.
The football team wants to stay in the AAC. It's the AAC that won't let them stay.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The only UConn teams not to compete in the AAC were teams like hockey, which most AAC schools do not support. The AAC would not be willing to allow UConn to keep football in the conference while moving basketball somewhere else.

Reaction Score
The only UConn teams not to compete in the AAC were teams like hockey, which most AAC schools do not support. The AAC would not be willing to allow UConn to keep football in the conference while moving basketball somewhere else.
I don't know what the idea of this thread is or why. The move to the nBe IS REAL--IT'S A DONE DEAL all the polls or comments won't change it. Whether Uconn FB won championships 40 years ago has no meaning in today's world. So the Yankee's dominated baseball for years--but not recently, who cares except old Yankee's. This whole thread only fills the void of having nothing about UC basektball to speak of. DAAAA?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't know what the idea of this thread is or why. The move to the nBe IS REAL--IT'S A DONE DEAL all the polls or comments won't change it. Whether Uconn FB won championships 40 years ago has no meaning in today's world. So the Yankee's dominated baseball for years--but not recently, who cares except old Yankee's. This whole thread only fills the void of having nothing about UC basektball to speak of. DAAAA?

The idea of this thread was to find out what some of the other posters thought about the move to the NBE.
I wanted to read what their take on it is. That's why I created the poll that 106 voted in, 58 posters responded to, and got over 3,000 views. This thread did exactly what I wanted it to.

You may not be interested in the comments or the results, but I am. I realize it's a done deal and that comments won't change it; but that does not mean everyone is OK with it. This thread was another chance/vehicle to let off a little steam. If they weren't happy, I want to know why. I have my own opinion on this but I want to hear/know the opinions of others.

We have some very knowledgeable, concerned and long time UConn fans here. Some of them are deeply invested in the football program that took a 1-2 punch to the gut on this deal. I wanted to read what some of them had to say. I got some interesting and diverse responses. I read everyone of them, and enjoyed doing so. Sometimes we see eye-to-eye, sometimes we don't. This is one of those times we don't. I hope this explanation helps.

You said: "I don't know what the idea of this thread is or why. This whole thread only fills the void of having nothing about UC basektball to speak of. DAAAA?"

Did you make the same comment/observation about other recent threads posted here that could possibly be considered a "void filler"? Posts such as - a Wimbledon (a poll), Songs about the moon, food that falls off your plate, the British Open, seat upgrades or learning to cook? None of them have anything to do with UConn WBB.

My post is very germane to the UConn WBB program. The move will impact both their OOC and conference schedules for the foreseeable future, as well as increased fan interest. The move will also impact recruiting. It's not everyday that a college/university changes athletic conferences, especially a move that is as costly as this will be, and severely impacts one of its major programs and its supporters the way this one will.

Broadway if this thread offends you that much, simply use the "ignore" button at the top, and you won't have to see it or be offended by its presence on the BY thread lineup. Problem solved. I use the ignore button all the time to hide threads that are of no interest to me. But please realize that others here may not feel the way you do, and might be interested in either reading about, or offering an opinion/comment in a thread of this type. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom