UConn in the NFL | Page 54 | The Boneyard

UConn in the NFL

C

Chief00

I like Griffin and fellas let’s remember the charges got dismissed. Sometimes it seems like the media has replaced our judicial system and that’s not a good thing.

Reaction Score

Broncos sign WR Nick Williams

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos signed wide receiver Nick Williams on Friday, the team announced.
Denver waived defensive lineman Deyon Sizer in a corresponding roster move.

Williams, a 5-foot-10, 184-pound player, entered the league in 2013.

He has recorded 30 career receptions for 280 yards and two touchdowns, but he has also served as both a kick returner and punt returner.

Williams averaged 20.9 yards per kick return in 2013, his sole season in that role. In 2018, he returned four punts for an average of 11.8 yards per return. His longest return went for 47 yards.

Williams appeared in two games for the Titans and two games for the Rams in 2018. Prior to the 2018 season, he spent portions of the 2015-17 seasons on the Falcons' active roster. Broncos Offensive Coordinator Rich Scangarello was in Atlanta with Williams in 2015, when the receiver recorded career highs in receptions and receiving yards.

Williams will wear No. 86 with the Broncos.<<

Reaction Score
5D9D7D89-31C8-44FF-A2D2-DD71026DBC2E.jpeg

Reaction Score
Missed this the other day. Good read w/ UConn highlights:

>>Since he entered the league, Williams has been cut six times by four different teams. And although he’s less than a week in with the Broncos, the early signs offer promise.

The first giveaway: Broncos head coach Vic Fangio gave him reps with Flacco and the starting offense in his first day on the job last Friday. “We’ve run low at receivers and particularly at the slot. We’re not low enough to ask Stokley if he can still play, but he did a good job,” Fangio said Friday afternoon. “He’s a guy that doesn’t meet your height, weight and speed, things that all the personnel people like, but looks like a pretty damn good football player to me out there. Maybe all he needed was an opportunity and he’s got one now. Let’s see.”

The second tell-tale: Williams’ path from UConn has a clear trend. He’s a receiver molded in the Shanahan system. He was signed by Mike, played for Kyle, has been around Scangarello and is comfortable with the offense. “Pretty comfortable,” he said. “It’s just little subtleties, where you might have known it as ‘box’ but now it’s ‘Joe’ or something like that. You just have to memorize it in the beginning until you learn it in the new terms. But there’s a lot of carryover.”<<

>>The third sign? At UConn, Williams returned 79 kickoffs for 2,045 yards and two touchdowns. He also returned 52 punts for 470 yards and a pair of touchdowns... “I enjoy it. I don’t really consider it special teams; it’s just another part of the game,” Williams said. “It’s a part of winning football.”<<

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Monday, Aug 05, 2019 04:21 PM

Three Takeaways from Jets' First Unofficial Depth Chart

Tight Ends

With Chris Herndon’s four-game suspension to open up the regular season, the tight ends are not only competing for a roster spot but the starting gig. Ryan Griffin, whom the Jets signed July 22nd, has the most experience of the group (77 games) and is listed behind Herndon as TE2.

“He's done well. He’s picked it up extremely fast,” head coach Adam Gase said of Griffin. “He rolled out here that first day and it was like he knew the offense. I've been impressed by what he's done. He's physical. He can do things in the passing game. He can do all three phases of the game. He's playing fast. He's giving us a lot. That was a good pickup for us.”

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
One more - Tim Boyle was 3 for 5, with two TDs and forty yards.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is still one of the crazier things. Other than @Chief00 (trying to head off expected responses) no one saw pro potential in Boyle. His last college season was mediocre at best. Amazing path he has taken. Good for him.
Exactly, I am mystified by it. Never saw it coming myself. Tim's success says alot about the prior administrations as well as the patience we all should have with people age 18 to 23. Some of the kids that were disasters on the field for us last year will really step up this year and some of the kids seemingly wont improve at all....and yet of that latter group, some of those kids will suddenly emerge as seniors. Of course, late bloomers are not super common, but it certainly does happen; ahem Marcus Easley.
Marcus Easley College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

C

Chief00

This is still one of the crazier things. Other than @Chief00 (trying to head off expected responses) no one saw pro potential in Boyle. His last college season was mediocre at best. Amazing path he has taken. Good for him.

Thanks for the feedback. Quite frankly, he passed my eye test. People got too bogged down on statistics when receivers hadn’t adjusted to the velocity from a pro caliber arm compared to the other QB’s. Then add multiple coaching changes and two really bizarre offensive schemes /concepts and Tom Brady would have struggled under those circumstances.

C

Chief00

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 04:21 PM

Three Takeaways from Jets' First Unofficial Depth Chart

Tight Ends

With Chris Herndon’s four-game suspension to open up the regular season, the tight ends are not only competing for a roster spot but the starting gig. Ryan Griffin, whom the Jets signed July 22nd, has the most experience of the group (77 games) and is listed behind Herndon as TE2.

“He's done well. He’s picked it up extremely fast,” head coach Adam Gase said of Griffin. “He rolled out here that first day and it was like he knew the offense. I've been impressed by what he's done. He's physical. He can do things in the passing game. He can do all three phases of the game. He's playing fast. He's giving us a lot. That was a good pickup for us.”
Griffin’s another guy I could never understand why we didn’t feature him more.

Reaction Score
Exactly, I am mystified by it. Never saw it coming myself. Tim's success says alot about the prior administrations as well as the patience we all should have with people age 18 to 23. Some of the kids that were disasters on the field for us last year will really step up this year and some of the kids seemingly wont improve at all....and yet of that latter group, some of those kids will suddenly emerge as seniors. Of course, late bloomers are not super common, but it certainly does happen; ahem Marcus Easley.
Marcus Easley College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

I had my block C hat on and ran into a former Husky DE/LB on the Cape who left after 2 years IIRC who said that "what those guys did with Tim Boyle was a crime. He had unreal talent". I guess he knew what he was talking about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom