UConn in the ACC - Virginia Tech forum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn in the ACC - Virginia Tech forum

Reaction Score
Grow up.. we're are absolutely available at a deep discount.. pennies on the dollar. We'd take 10 years of far less than market value if it meant being in a stable home long term.

Like we need to be reminded.... Get it?

Reaction Score
I'll be sure to get my next post cleared by you first. :p

no that - I'd rather pour you a Johnnie Powers when we get situated in a P-5 conference and toast to what will be a bright future.

Reaction Score
Permanent Unequal revenue shares will happen some day. I wonder if we have offered to accept a lower percentage on a permanent basis. When the money stop growings at astronomical rates, then teams like FSU or The Ohio State are going to want a bigger piece of the pie vs. a Wake Forest or Purdue.

Reaction Score
I would go for it under the condition that we are team #16 if Notre Dame joins for football.

I honestly think this would have been done already if the ACC didn't think they could poach someone like PSU if ND joined full time..which would potentially open up a spot in the B10 anyway.

Also for the buddy troll, UConn has excellent athletic facilities in both football and basketball..not like you'd know that.
I see no reason for any school to leave the B10 unless they're thrown out. It is way too successful at this point. ND would join the B10 before that happened. I believe ND's making a move when it suits them, and that will be when NBC decides they aren't worth the money any more.

Reaction Score
Maybe not. Having UConn aboard does solve some issues for the ACC across multiple sports. Obviously, without football, UConn would get a significantly smaller amount of the ACC revenue pie than other teams. So the question more likely is, "what is the number that satisfies both parties?".

I believe that ND receives 1/5th of full share of ACC's TV contact (based on the assumption that football derives 80% of revenue). So that's a little north of $5 million.

Let's say UConn gets that same deal. If we control our TV rights for the other seven games, we should be able to double that, based on UConn's football ratings typically being above G5 averages. So, there's potential for $10 million, which isn't great in the current environment, but sure beats the crap out of what we're making from the AAC.

$6.2 million is the latest number per year I have seen from the ACC for ND's 24 sports other than football and hockey. Also, ND will get a full share of the ACC Network.

Notre Dame is the trump card for the ACC Network's future

Reaction Score
I see no reason for any school to leave the B10 unless they're thrown out. It is way too successful at this point. ND would join the B10 before that happened. I believe ND's making a move when it suits them, and that will be when NBC decides they aren't worth the money any more.

None of that is going to happen. UConn needs to make concrete plans based on more than this idea.

ND doesn't want to join any football conference, especially the Big Ten.

ND is contractually bound until 2036 by the ACC GOR, the exit fee and the contract between ND and the ACC which states that IF ND joins any conference for football prior to 2036 (but doesn't require such an action), it has to be the ACC.

Reaction Score
UConn still has NYC going for them (with or without the Irish). And that should be attractive to the ACC if they expand at all and they feel comfortable with football.

I again thought about this last night when I watching UNC-Virginia and they mentioned an upcoming TV special..."A Cut Above"

A special (on ESPNU and on regional Raycom in 100 markets) to focus on the history of the legacy of New York City basketball and the conference. This leads into the New York Life ACC Tournament at Barclay's.

New York and basketball.....the show will visit city courts in Queens, the Bronx and the iconic Rucker Park in Harlem,

Anything that emphasizes New York and ACC basketball can't be bad for UConn. Especially since the Big Ten and the ACC are both busy trying to lay claims.

Reaction Score
the ACC . That league 1. destroyed your happy home and 2. exiled you to AAC
Michael Tranghese ( a long time coat holder for BE's Basketball Dave Gavitt) and the Big East Football League destroyed itself... and by extension damaged bigtime the UConn football program. Uconn's AD Hathaway's quixotic hire of fired ' Cuse Head Coach Pasqualoni further damaged UConn football. The ACC was not responsible for the BE clownshoes operation by Tranghese, nor the Uconn's disastrous hires of Pasqualoni and then Diaco. UConn hopes to climb out of the cellar of the AAC. its not the fault of the ACC that UConn football finds themselves currently in the basement of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Nearly half of the ACC's current membership is comprised of former Big East Schools, but clearly The ACC had nothing to do with this.

#NottheACCsfault #Yawkeylogic

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Time to launch this one into outer space.

I cannot take this idiotic oaf anymore.
You forgot to spit out the toothpaste.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that you all are still ruminating about alternative ACC scenarios. It is just not happening. BC, FSU,Cuse, and ESPN are vehemently opposed to UConn. All of the speculation is just silly. UConn is positioning itself for eventual P5/P4 inclusion when it is restructured, with it's improvement in athletic facilities and hopefully improvement in the football program and hopefully membership in the AAU (Academics are meaningless to the ACC remember). Forget the ACC.

LOL...this narrative hanging on from the addition of Louisville is laughable.

But, the B10 adding non-AAU Nebraska showed a real commitment to academics, didn't it?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
LOL...this narrative hanging on from the addition of Louisville is laughable.

But, the B10 adding non-AAU Nebraska showed a real commitment to academics, didn't it?

Hmmmm . . . Even though Nebraska may be at the bottom of the Big10 academic rankings, they are still quite higher than Louisville.

Reaction Score
If the P5 were ranked on academic rankings using the USNWR....(yeah, I know folks will trot out other indexes and this one favors undergraduate educational programs over research).

The Top 25 would be....

1...Stanford
2...Duke
3...Northwestern
4...Notre Dame
5...Vanderbilt
6...Cal
7...Southern Cal
8...UCLA
9...Virginia
10...Michigan
11...Wake Forest
12...North Carolina
13...Boston College
14...Georgia Tech
15...Illinois
16...Miami
17...Wisconsin
18...Penn State
19...Florida
20...Ohio State
21...Washington
22...Georgia
23...Texas
24...Purdue
25...Syracuse

Reaction Score
ACC looks pretty good in the east as well...8 (9 if you count the Irish) schools in the Top 25 USNWR...

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Yes, and they absolutely compromised their academic integrity by adding Louisville. That is fine -- the Big 10 kinda did this too with Nebbraska (although Nebraska is Yale compared to UL) -- but pretending otherwise is silly.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm . . . Even though Nebraska may be at the bottom of the Big10 academic rankings, they are still quite higher than Louisville.

The point being, the B10 made it known to all listening, that AAU membership was a MUST for any new addition to the league. They knew Nebraska were losing their AAU status during the invite process. Yet, they invited them anyway.

Just my limited view, but, when the B10 accepted NU without it being AAU, it meant that the standard they so long stood for was sacraficed to elevate its football brand. The ACC did the same thing, with regards to taking Lousiville over UConn. Which I have maintained was a mistake, and, a slap in the face of our own standards.

I just find it ironic that the ACC has been slapped around for their move, yet, the B10 has not caught any grief for theirs.

Reaction Score
The irony of a UNC fan jumping in in a talk about academics is pretty amusing

I've never made excuses for what Carolina has done. Nor, will I. If the NCAA decide to drop the hammer on us, so be it. For what went on there for so long, we deserve it.

That said, the NCAA is not what scares me. SACS...The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools...scare me more. They are the academic governing body who confer the right of an institution to grant degrees. Their review of what happened is imminently more important than the NCAA's. They were not happy with their investigation, and, are monitoring UNC's implementation of a plan to submitted to them to prevent this from happening again.

That does not change the fact that the B10 has faced little to no scrutiny for for giving NU a pass on an academic requirement that the league said was a MUST HAVE for admission. That just strikes me as a bit odd.

Reaction Score
The point being, the B10 made it known to all listening, that AAU membership was a MUST for any new addition to the league. They knew Nebraska were losing their AAU status during the invite process. Yet, they invited them anyway.

Just my limited view, but, when the B10 accepted NU without it being AAU, it meant that the standard they so long stood for was sacraficed to elevate its football brand. The ACC did the same thing, with regards to taking Lousiville over UConn. Which I have maintained was a mistake, and, a slap in the face of our own standards.

I just find it ironic that the ACC has been slapped around for their move, yet, the B10 has not caught any grief for theirs.

I know of one time when Delany implied that AAU membership was a requirement (after Nebraska was in). At that time an AD or two was asked about it and the response was that there was nothing in writing -- nor any generally accepted position -- that AAU membership was requirement. Desired, yes; requirement, no.

Michigan State was not an AAU member. Not sure how they got in ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom