UConn in final 7 for Montez Mathis | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn in final 7 for Montez Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we lose recruits to Rutgers for a top 100 guy that supposedly we've been recruiting since middle school, we won't get any of the other guys who were recruiting who are higher ranked in general and have much better offers that we are competing with. The only guy other than Mathis we are neck and neck with is Carey who has many top schools after him. We are trailing on the Mucius, Carrigan, Reddish, and Akinjo trail. Dort and Weaver we are out of the race.

Husky99 keeps telling us supposedly that Ollie and the staff keeps get outworked on the recruiting trail. With the seasons we've been having lately and with the guys we have on the staff I don't know how that's possible if true.

PS: Good recruiters don't miss on so many guys in the 70-100 range who Calhoun routinely got without sweating.

PS: If we miss on Carey I want Killings gone as recruiting with him has gone downhill. Bring Glenn Miller back.

I think you're right if we miss on Mathis the state should shut down the program.

Reaction Score
99 isn't the only one that has been saying it. Fishy has alluded to it several times and I think a couple other posters have as well. Supposedly, it played a role in costing Miller his job, and if the same trend is cropping up so shortly into Chill's tenure, then we're really talking about the head coach.

I'm not telling you what to believe, but there's clearly at least one prominent source near the program that is releasing this stuff.

Some of the chatter about Ollie's job security has been overstated. The program isn't in as bad a shape as it was when he took over, and all of this gossip - about players not liking him, recruits not feeling coveted enough, fans not feeling appreciated enough - tends to disappear at the first sight of a resurgence. None of these variables are ever as intertwined as we think they are.

It is not overstating things, however, to think that these recruitments will have a massive effect on the stability of the program. These are the battles that determine how much money your program makes.

Reaction Score
99 isn't the only one that has been saying it. Fishy has alluded to it several times and I think a couple other posters have as well. Supposedly, it played a role in costing Miller his job, and if the same trend is cropping up so shortly into Chill's tenure, then we're really talking about the head coach.

I'm not telling you what to believe, but there's clearly at least one prominent source near the program that is releasing this stuff.

Some of the chatter about Ollie's job security has been overstated. The program isn't in as bad a shape as it was when he took over, and all of this gossip - about players not liking him, recruits not feeling coveted enough, fans not feeling appreciated enough - tends to disappear at the first sight of a resurgence. None of these variables are ever as intertwined as we think they are.

It is not overstating things, however, to think that these recruitments will have a massive effect on the stability of the program. These are the battles that determine how much money your program makes.

We have also heard that Chills is busting his behind and making great impressions. It's hard for me to believe the staff isn't working hard when you can follow @CGarr and see the staff's movement. Ollie knows his seat is hot. I can't buy that he is that dumb or lazy. If everything we hear from the insiders is wrong about specific players, why believe this?

Reaction Score

A poster who said that he never wanted KO to get the job in the first place constantly flooding the boards with stories about how he's not putting in the work and that he's lazy on the recruiting trail, how shocking. Mind you this is the same poster who said that Louisville had overtaken KO+staff in their recruiting effort of Alterique when apparently he had been pretty much committed the whole time. The recruiting misses have been disappointing, but folks gotta be able to sniff out the propoganda and agenda machine that's working overdrive on here.

Reaction Score
We have also heard that Chills is busting his behind and making great impressions. It's hard for me to believe the staff isn't working hard when you can follow @CGarr and see the staff's movement. Ollie knows his seat is hot. I can't buy that he is that dumb or lazy. If everything we hear from the insiders is wrong about specific players, why believe this?

Ollie has made a lot of mistakes over the last few years. It will take a while to change the perception but I do think he can do it.

Reaction Score
A poster who said that he never wanted KO to get the job in the first place constantly flooding the boards with stories about how he's not putting in the work and that he's lazy on the recruiting trail, how shocking. Mind you this is the same poster who said that Louisville had overtaken KO+staff in their recruiting effort of Alterique when apparently he had been pretty much committed the whole time. The recruiting misses have been disappointing, but folks gotta be able to sniff out the propoganda and agenda machine that's working overdrive on here.

Also, the amount of misinformation that is thrown around here is ridiculous. About 4-5 of the last big recruiting battles we have had, "insiders" be completely wrong and flip flopping back and forth days and hours leading up to announcements. Not complaining because I take it for what it is. But I think some posters take it to heart and believe everything they see on this board.

Reaction Score
Also, the amount of misinformation that is thrown around here is ridiculous. About 4-5 of last big recruiting battles we have had, "insiders" be completely wrong and flip flopping back and forth days and hours leading up to announcements. Not complaining because I take it for what it is. But I think some posters take it to heart and believe everything they see on this board.

Tons of the info on Ollie that has been pushed isn't just by insiders though. When regular fans notice things it's not a good look.

C

Chief00

If we lose recruits to Rutgers for a top 100 guy that supposedly we've been recruiting since middle school, we won't get any of the other guys who were recruiting who are higher ranked in general and have much better offers that we are competing with. The only guy other than Mathis we are neck and neck with is Carey who has many top schools after him. We are trailing on the Mucius, Carrigan, Reddish, and Akinjo trail. Dort and Weaver we are out of the race.

Husky99 keeps telling us supposedly that Ollie and the staff keeps get outworked on the recruiting trail. With the seasons we've been having lately and with the guys we have on the staff I don't know how that's possible if true.

PS: Good recruiters don't miss on so many guys in the 70-100 range who Calhoun routinely got without sweating.

PS: If we miss on Carey I want Killings gone as recruiting with him has gone downhill. Bring Glenn Miller back.

Bring Miller back - No, there's a reason he is still looking.

Reaction Score
The original quote about Pikiell and Mathis's family in the Daniels article should have everyone here on red alert.

Much more gushing about Rutgers than about UConn.

Reaction Score
The original quote about Pikiell and Mathis's family in the Daniels article should have everyone here on red alert.

Much more gushing about Rutgers than about UConn.

The kid likes Rutgers that's apparent but he obviously likes UConn as well. If it was a done deal he would've chosen Rutgers already. Heck even Dr. Death "Zionn" said it's straight up 50/50 at this point and Ollie/Chillious are all over him right now. And guess what if the kid chooses Rutgers then life goes on and it opens up an opportunity for another recruit. Our program has a history of swinging and missing on our top one and even two or three choices and ending up with the better fit. The two best examples are probably Kemba and Bazz.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Haha am i the machine you are referring to.... ? Dam i am getting old. I always disliked the "man" and you are calling me the man....

Reaction Score
The kid likes Rutgers that's apparent but he obviously likes UConn as well. If it was a done deal he would've chose Rutgers already. Heck even Dr. Death "Zionn" said it's straight up 50/50 at this point and Ollie/Chillious are all over him right now. And guess what if the kid chooses Rutgers then life goes on and it opens up an opportunity for another recruit. Our program has a history of swinging and missing on our top one and even two or three choices and ending up with the better fit. The two best examples are probably Kemba and Bazz.

I don't think it's 50/50. I think his mind is already made up. IMO the "50/50" is everyone outside of Mathis and his family not knowing who he's going to choose. Teenagers love attention, especially athletes with coaches/fan-bases fighting over them. tez (@MontezMathis) | Twitter

Reaction Score
Haha am i the machine you are referring to.... ? Dam i am getting old. I always disliked the "man" and you are calling me the man....

I did not think you were the one being referred to. Someone else immediately popped to mind.

Reaction Score
Ollie has made a lot of mistakes over the last few years. It will take a while to change the perception but I do think he can do it.

I agree with this fully. I don't necessarily agree with the narrative being pushed about KO being lazy when we have already been mentioned as working amongst the hardest for at least 5 croots.

Reaction Score
I agree with this fully. I don't necessarily agree with the narrative being pushed about KO being lazy when we have already been mentioned as working amongst the hardest for at least 5 croots.

This year.

Reaction Score
Another thing to keep in mind with regards to Mathis' thinking and decision making is our current roster. He's very aware we have a sophomore shooting guard in Vital who would be ahead of him for at least two years. Also, it's no guarantee Adams leaves after this year which would put two guards ahead of him for at least a year. While I have no idea about Rutgers' backcourt (and for good reason), I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts they do not have the type of personnel at shooting/combo guard that UConn possessses.

Reaction Score
No way would Vital be ahead of this kid, he would play ahead of Vital immediately. He's a much more skilled and dynamic player and athlete

Another thing to keep in mind with regards to Mathis' thinking and decision making is our current roster. He's very aware we have a sophomore shooting guard in Vital who would be ahead of him for at least two years. Also, it's no guarantee Adams leaves after this year which would put two guards ahead of him for at least a year. While I have no idea about Rutgers' backcourt (and for good reason), I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts they do not have the personnel at shooting/combo guard UConn possessses.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Even Rutgers people hate the basketball program: "Rooting for Rutgers men's basketball is like signing up for a dull pain that never goes away."

Rutgers and Julie Hermann have surrendered on fixing the men's basketball program | Politi
I went when we played our last game at the RAC. Online they were boasting how it was a sell out and all the tickets went to Rutgers fans UConn returned their allotment and the student body was so fired up yada yada. It wasn't a sellout. The students couldn't even be bothered to stand up during the game and oh there were thousands and thousands of UConn fans. Rutgers just sucks so bad.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I don't think it's 50/50. I think his mind is already made up. IMO the "50/50" is everyone outside of Mathis and his family not knowing who he's going to choose. Teenagers love attention, especially athletes with coaches/fan-bases fighting over them. tez (@MontezMathis) | Twitter
Youre entitled to your opinion. The point is the @Zionn is one of, if not our best insider currently. If he says it's 50/50 I tend to agree with him. I just hope we're still working hard for him. Im sure we are. I don't know why, but I have a good feeling about this. Someone send him young Ray Allen highlights and young Ben Gordon highlights. Tell him this is what he could be. Then send him all the great Rutgers 2 guard highlights......oops there aren't any.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Thank you for saying what many of us have been thinking...I find myself wondering how many of KO's issues are real and how many were invented for the purpose of stirring crap up on a message board.

Reaction Score
I went when we played our last game at the RAC. Online they were boasting how it was a sell out and all the tickets went to Rutgers fans UConn returned their allotment and the student body was so fired up yada yada. It wasn't a sellout. The students couldn't even be bothered to stand up during the game and oh there were thousands and thousands of UConn fans. Rutgers just sucks so bad.

I was at that game as well. It was basically a UConn home game in Rutgers *ty gym

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom