Uconn in CR | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Uconn in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your data all in:

Average of 90s: 12850
Average of 7 seven years with expanded Gampel: 11985

Oh I feel like such a ridiculous fool. Especially since the HCC numbers are even a bigger gap.

Good stuff upstater. Way to fight this one to the death even when you were wrong from word one.

Any 7 years or care to be more specific?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Its pretty simple. For all intents and purposes UConn sold out the 1992 season. This year they couldn't sell out for Louisville and Syracuse and did things like sell Villanova tickets for $10.

Yet it's better in your demented mind.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Any 7 years or care to be more specific?

The last 7 years like you said. That's the number with 2013 in. It's still higher in the 90s if you ignore 2013 and go back 8 years but the gap is smaller.

The three lowest season back to 1988-89 are 3 of the last 4.

Reaction Score
You stated that attendance today is better than it was in the 90s. You stated the last 7 years specifically which are actually the lowest 7 year run.

Do I really need to quote those for you?

You also are ignoring that the mid 2000s had 2.000 extra seats at Gampel which could raise the average by 1,000.

But keep yapping you just prove yourself more foolish.

Yes, get the quote.

Reaction Score
Already did chief. Scroll up.

I see it now. I definitely screwed that up. And, I don't know why I wrote that since it made no sense in context of what I wrote earlier.

This is what I wrote just a few posts before: "UConn is top 25 in fan support now, used to be top 15 until 2008. When it comes to total fans (i.e. as a road draw) UConn is top 10."

I well know the numbers dropped in 2008. I've just been through this last week. I even copied and pasted my old post with the numbers over 20 years, so I am well aware that the numbers are way down after the financial crisis.

I don't know why I wrote that, and if that little thing is what we've been arguing about now for many pages, it's all my fault.

I do think though that before that comment and before it, I said repeatedly that the last 5 (not 7) years are way down. I wrote from the start that the high water mark for attendance for Uconn was 2006 when they hit 14k average for the first time.

I honestly have no idea why I even wrote 7. Why the heck 7? No context, it makes no sense.

My apologies.

Reaction Score
Its pretty simple. For all intents and purposes UConn sold out the 1992 season. This year they couldn't sell out for Louisville and Syracuse and did things like sell Villanova tickets for $10.

Yet it's better in your demented mind.

Anyone reading this board knows I never said this year had great attendance.

Reaction Score
I see it now. I definitely screwed that up. And, I don't know why I wrote that since it made no sense in context of what I wrote earlier.

This is what I wrote just a few posts before: "UConn is top 25 in fan support now, used to be top 15 until 2008. When it comes to total fans (i.e. as a road draw) UConn is top 10."

I well know the numbers dropped in 2008. I've just been through this last week. I even copied and pasted my old post with the numbers over 20 years, so I am well aware that the numbers are way down after the financial crisis.

I don't know why I wrote that, and if that little thing is what we've been arguing about now for many pages, it's all my fault.

I do think though that before that comment and before it, I said repeatedly that the last 5 (not 7) years are way down. I wrote from the start that the high water mark for attendance for Uconn was 2006 when they hit 14k average for the first time.

I honestly have no idea why I even wrote 7. Why the heck 7? No context, it makes no sense.

My apologies.
Now that's a good boy. Before you go off on people, take a deep breath and think about what they said, then take another deep breath and think about what you are going to say.

Reaction Score
Now that's a good boy. Before you go off on people, take a deep breath and think about what they said, then take another deep breath and think about what you are going to say.

Here's my non-apology. I went off on you because Tennesee was in my top tier and Boise wasn't. As for whaler, he did read my posts several times stating attendance fell off in 2008. If only my mistake (or inconsistency, or contradiction, etc.) were brought up in that light earlier, we could have saved anyone the trouble.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here's my non-apology. I went off on you because Tennesee was in my top tier and Boise wasn't. As for whaler, he did read my posts several times stating attendance fell off in 2008. If only my mistake (or inconsistency, or contradiction, etc.) were brought up in that light earlier, we could have saved anyone the trouble.

I'll take a look at it for fun tomorrow but I think the overall average attendance doesn't really get at the issue due to the mix of Hartford/Campus games.

Without looking if Gampel had higher capacity in the early 90's I can almost guarantee attendance would have peaked around 1992.

The novelty of Gampel plus 'Huskymania' has not really been replicated since then. The Connecticut Mutual Classic would be jammed for Furman back in those days. That doesn't happen now.

Reaction Score
This was husky mania. Its been a long time since we had this atmosphere. I remember being in Gampel during the Donyell era when PC had Mike Smith and Rob Phelps. It was loud in there my hands were buzzing it seemed.

Reaction Score
I think our failure to have more serious UCONN fans in our administration has hurt us. Right now, I want an AD or President that bleeds blue. We need someone in there that is desperate to get us in a power conference because he/she feels physically ill over this situation like we do. Luck and Jurich have passion for their schools.

A little of the passion and creativity that HFD talks about is needed here. Do we have anyone out there that we can "bring home" to get the job done?

Reaction Score
It's not all the fans fault coaches fault or ad fault. Out conference was disbanded when we rejected a 1.2 billion dollar deal I think it was. It was a perfectly good conference and we are a on the fence team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not all the fans fault coaches fault or ad fault. Out conference was disbanded when we rejected a 1.2 billion dollar deal I think it was. It was a perfectly good conference and we are a on the fence team.

Energy around our teams dipped before the league died.

It's a trend everywhere, college basketball built such an amazing March that a lot of people don't invest until then.

UConn isn't the only school struggling to get students invested. A little rain and students bail on games because they can't use their phones at a lot of schools. Michigan State's AD talked about that if I remember correctly.

I watch UConn's non-conference games out of a sense of obligation. They are generally pointless. They blow out a Vermont or a UMBC... Without a point spread it's just tedious.

Reaction Score
"Attendance was better." That means the attendance number was higher in previous years. Nothing more to read into it. As for your other question about attendance and support, yes, I do believe your supposition. Yes, Creighton has great support when it comes to fans showing up at the arena. There's no way to argue that it doesn't. And yes, a small venue can hurt Duke, but hey! Duke isn't selling out the arena these days like they used to, so I'm not sure there's an argument there. Of course, UConn can sell out the arena for the big games too, but for the smaller games? It's like Duke. So: great for Pitt, great for Creighton. Of course, there are other factors, like ticket prices, donations for seats, freebies (heck, Rutgers gives 40% of tix in freebies), etc. But as for attendance, the numbers are what they are. Hard to argue against them.

These are not the only factors of support. There's donations, there's TV ratings, licensing, etc. Hey, there are other sports which might be considered to support the ADs revenues--that too counts.

Of course I agree that attendance, revenue, TV ratings, licensing, donations, all of it should be compared.

"RU gives 40% tickets as freebies"Show us the data!Student tickets are built into tuition!When RU expanded there stadium their was a 13G waiting list for season tickets!Some schools can't get that many to buy a ticket!And thats before OSU,Mich,Wisc and PSU were rolling into town!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I can't believe I've read this entire thread.
After a while I just started scrolling to see upstate - whaler - upstater - somebody else whaler - upstater - whaler without reading the posts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"RU gives 40% tickets as freebies"Show us the data!Student tickets are built into tuition!When RU expanded there stadium their was a 13G waiting list for season tickets!Some schools can't get that many to buy a ticket!And thats before OSU,Mich,Wisc and PSU were rolling into town!

Seriously what kind of bizarre troll are you? In one recruiting thread UConn is 'us'. In others you argue vehemently for Rutgers.

Rarely can you piece together a sentence. It's just bizarre.

Reaction Score
Seriously what kind of bizarre troll are you? In one recruiting thread UConn is 'us'. In others you argue vehemently for Rutgers.

Finally, upstater and you can agree on something!I'm a fan of the B1G,RU and UConn getting into the B1G!Does that help you?When RU plays UConn I'm a RU fan!I hope that's rational enough for you....as for upstater I'm afraid all hope is lost!@ps What kind of troll would be in support of justice for UConn?

Reaction Score

@You seem like a smart guy??Why couldn't someone be a fan of one school and support another brother school whose been double crossed by "so called friends"(BC/SU)?

Reaction Score
@You seem like a smart guy??Why couldn't someone be a fan of one school and support another brother school whose been double crossed by "so called friends"(BC/SU)?

Believe me guys you all have a lot of allies in RU fans(not all) and concerned friends from NY/NJ!!Your not in this alone!

Reaction Score
Geez guys,I thought my moniker would make plain my NJ leanings?And no I'm not HFD with a new handle tho why you guys don't appreciate his efforts I'll never understand!

Reactions: pj

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

We have enough of our own idiots here (me included). We don't really need a RU fan who can't piece together a coherent thought posting condescending nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom