UConn in Angel Reese’s top 8? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn in Angel Reese’s top 8?

Reaction Score
The other troubling aspect is that Geno & the staff are not very tolerant of recruits looking for playing time as part of their selection.

Not sure that's exactly the case still.

It used to be that any recruit who asked about playing time was pretty much off the list.
But along the way I recall Geno conceding that basically everyone (or their parents) asked about it now. I think what hasn't changed tho is Geno's response: still no guarantees.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The other troubling aspect is that Geno & the staff are not very tolerant of recruits looking for playing time as part of their selection.
This is something of a Catch-22. On the one hand, Geno is not going to respond positively to a recruit asking for a guarantee of PT as a freshman. Obviously, they have to earn it. On the other hand, Geno very much wants freshman to come in and compete/earn PT as freshmen. He has been critical in the past of freshmen who appear to bide their time waiting for upperclassmen to graduate before they compete for a job. His praise for Christyn"s confidence and willingness to compete for a job is very much indicative of his expectation that freshmen can in fact become starters for the Huskies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ESPN list her as a 6’3 wing, maybe she can play some small forward in college with the right coaching.

High lights from this season, she’s number 10 in gray.

1 - why in the world are they using grey vs white uniforms????
2 - I really don't see her as a UCONN player. From this clip I don't even see her as a top 25 player. Maybe not even top 50. But this clip is all I have seen of her. So there may be a lot more to here, just not shown here.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Whatever people are seeing, or not seeing, from Reese in the prior video, it doesn't jive with the raves she has received since last spring. A sample below:

2020 Angel Reese 6'2" SF Team Takeover EYBL (MD)

I saw Reese play twice this past weekend and I was extremely impressed both times. Reese displayed a deep passion and commitment to defend whether it was in the half court or on the ball in the Takeover full-court diamond press. Her strong and athletic body allowed her to dominate anyone with whom her coach matched her. Offensively she showed her ability to slash, finish in the lane and she controlled the offensive boards. What’s most impressive about her is her unselfish play. When her teammates did something great, she was always the first to celebrate.

LBI Michigan Event Recap: WPA Bruins Spring Tip-Off Classic

Angel Reese - This was the third time for me to watch Angel Reese play this spring and every time I have walked away thinking she may play the hardest in the country. Her struggles with the jumper are overcome by her ability to impact the game in a variety of ways. She is an excellent athlete who is tough to keep off the boards and out of the lane on the drive. Her length and athleticism allow her finish a lot of shots that other players wouldn’t be able to. There are few players in the world who have Reese’s size and athleticism.

2018 U17 USA Basketball Trials

Angel Reese, 6-3, PG/SG, Team Takeover 17U EYBL, 2020

I had a chance to see Angel Reese at the Essence SHOW-N-PROVE event in September and she seems to have made the transition over to lead guard, Reese showed college coaches all over the nation what people in Maryland have known about for quite some time. She was a truly special passer and finisher at the rim with either hand. The Maryland native is growing as a playmaker, played intense on the ball D, and provided the leadership that Team Takeover needed to get a couple of big W’s.

FLORIDA BASKETBALL BULLETIN: Session #1 Girls Nike EYBL (Boo Williams) Recap

Angel Reese, 6-2, power forward, Team Takeover EYBL (Randallstown, Maryland)

Reese just keeps impressing as her game is further along from last seen a few months ago. She can attack the basket going left (stronger hand) or right from the high post. A Power 5 prospect, her motor usually runs on high!

Western PA Bruins Tip-Off Classic 2018

2020 Angel Reese 6’3” F St. Francis Academy MD

Angel is uber-talented. She has the skill level to cover the entire court. Reese went coast to coast in one instance, weaving in and out of traffic, finishing the play with an AND 1. On the following play, she ran the floor, outpacing everyone to catch a long outlet pass for a layup. Probably most impressive was how discouraging it must have been for everyone who was trying to rebound to realize they had no chance. Reese secured offensive rebound after offensive rebound using her length, agility, and leaping ability. She handles the ball in the open court like a guard and owns the paint as an athletic four should. Reese has scary, ridiculous upside.

LBI Event Recap: USA Trials Day 3 In Colorado Springs

Angel Reese (Randallstown, Maryland), Team Takeover EYBL – 2020

Reese is a top ten player nationally for a reason. She is a 6-3 forward that has face-up skills away from the basket. During the two-day showcase, Reese showed she was comfortable leading the fast break and even attacking the defense in the half court set. At the next level she projects as a 4-player given her athleticism and versatility. However, a creative coach could utilize her as a small ball 5 who can take advantage of slow footed interior defenders.

#PSBElite32 Tourney Standouts – August 13, 2018

Angel Reese -- Most Improved Player in the Country?

Last summer Reese was an impressive prospect who managed to earn a national profile through her play with Team Takeover on the EYBL U15 circuit as well as a strong showing at USA U16 trials. Fast forward to April and Reese has taken her game to another level. When it comes to putting her game in a box or giving it a position-specific definition, Reese is one of, if not the, most difficult players in the country to define. She has the size, tools, and athleticism of a traditional power forward, but handles the ball on the perimeter like a guard. This weekend she was comfortable running the offense in the role of a traditional point guard but would also recognize mismatches and exploit them in the post or the high-post when opportunities were there. In addition to her offensive versatility, Reese is also one of the elite rebounders in the country. Her ability to contribute as a double-digit rebounder and then initiate the fast break as a quality ball handler and playmaker sets her apart from the pack.

Angel Reese – 2020 – 6-3 – Forward – St. Frances AcademyContinues to show herself as the most college ready player scholastically…Showing off a depth of attack around the rim…Finding her own looks but developing and delivering passes off penetration…Shares the ball almost to a fault…Elevates and finishes in traffic…Effort is there on loose balls…Perimeter consistency will still need to evolve to force close outs from opponents

12th Annual Blue Star Elite Invitational - Bluestar Media

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whatever people are seeing, or not seeing, from Reese in the prior video, it doesn't jive with the raves she has received since last spring. A sample below:
Fair enough Slu. There are better clips of Reese out there including this one from USA basketball trials.

Reaction Score

I saw Reese play twice this past weekend and I was extremely impressed both times. Reese displayed a deep passion and commitment to defend whether it was in the half court or on the ball in the Takeover full-court diamond press. Her strong and athletic body allowed her to dominate anyone with whom her coach matched her. Offensively she showed her ability to slash, finish in the lane and she controlled the offensive boards. What’s most impressive about her is her unselfish play. When her teammates did something great, she was always the first to celebrate.

Angel Reese - This was the third time for me to watch Angel Reese play this spring and every time I have walked away thinking she may play the hardest in the country. Her struggles with the jumper are overcome by her ability to impact the game in a variety of ways. She is an excellent athlete who is tough to keep off the boards and out of the lane on the drive. Her length and athleticism allow her finish a lot of shots that other players wouldn’t be able to. There are few players in the world who have Reese’s size and athleticism.

I had a chance to see Angel Reese at the Essence SHOW-N-PROVE event in September and she seems to have made the transition over to lead guard, Reese showed college coaches all over the nation what people in Maryland have known about for quite some time. She was a truly special passer and finisher at the rim with either hand. The Maryland native is growing as a playmaker, played intense on the ball D, and provided the leadership that Team Takeover needed to get a couple of big W’s.

Reese just keeps impressing as her game is further along from last seen a few months ago. She can attack the basket going left (stronger hand) or right from the high post. A Power 5 prospect, her motor usually runs on high!

Angel is uber-talented. She has the skill level to cover the entire court. Reese went coast to coast in one instance, weaving in and out of traffic, finishing the play with an AND 1. On the following play, she ran the floor, outpacing everyone to catch a long outlet pass for a layup. Probably most impressive was how discouraging it must have been for everyone who was trying to rebound to realize they had no chance. Reese secured offensive rebound after offensive rebound using her length, agility, and leaping ability. She handles the ball in the open court like a guard and owns the paint as an athletic four should. Reese has scary, ridiculous upside.

Reese is a top ten player nationally for a reason. She is a 6-3 forward that has face-up skills away from the basket. During the two-day showcase, Reese showed she was comfortable leading the fast break and even attacking the defense in the half court set. At the next level she projects as a 4-player given her athleticism and versatility. However, a creative coach could utilize her as a small ball 5 who can take advantage of slow footed interior defenders.

Last summer Reese was an impressive prospect who managed to earn a national profile through her play with Team Takeover on the EYBL U15 circuit as well as a strong showing at USA U16 trials. Fast forward to April and Reese has taken her game to another level. When it comes to putting her game in a box or giving it a position-specific definition, Reese is one of, if not the, most difficult players in the country to define. She has the size, tools, and athleticism of a traditional power forward, but handles the ball on the perimeter like a guard. This weekend she was comfortable running the offense in the role of a traditional point guard but would also recognize mismatches and exploit them in the post or the high-post when opportunities were there. In addition to her offensive versatility, Reese is also one of the elite rebounders in the country. Her ability to contribute as a double-digit rebounder and then initiate the fast break as a quality ball handler and playmaker sets her apart from the pack.

Angel Reese – 2020 – 6-3 – Forward – St. Frances AcademyContinues to show herself as the most college ready player scholastically…Showing off a depth of attack around the rim…Finding her own looks but developing and delivering passes off penetration…Shares the ball almost to a fault…Elevates and finishes in traffic…Effort is there on loose balls…Perimeter consistency will still need to evolve to force close outs from opponents

I don't know when that video was taken perhaps she's pulled a Jordan Horston and improved her all around attitude and play....................I certainly didn't see what was described in that one video..................it does seem clear her offensive game is somewhat limited but that can be somewhat overlooked if she excels in so many other areas................gotta look for most recent video to see what others saw

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I’m actually surprised to see UConn on her list now... Geno typically doesn’t even look in the direction of players that aren’t somewhat polished offensively and Reese is definitely not that. He will teach a player defense but when’s the last time UConn brought a player to campus that wasn’t talented offensively?

She is ATHLETIC as all get out though.

Reaction Score
1 - why in the world are they using grey vs white uniforms????
2 - I really don't see her as a UCONN player. From this clip I don't even see her as a top 25 player. Maybe not even top 50. But this clip is all I have seen of her. So there may be a lot more to here, just not shown here.
The "lot more" is what would concern me. These are "highlight" clips.

Reaction Score

Here is some game film of Reese’s Team Takeover squad going up against a Cardosa-less FBC team.

She was being guarded by Mississippi State bound Esmery Martinez.

Reaction Score
I’m actually surprised to see UConn on her list now... Geno typically doesn’t even look in the direction of players that aren’t somewhat polished offensively and Reese is definitely not that. He will teach a player defense but when’s the last time UConn brought a player to campus that wasn’t talented offensively?

She is ATHLETIC as all get out though.

perhaps he knows the odds of getting Gusters, Marshall, Daniels or a few of the other bigger players are not that great.....................on the other hand this may all be wishful thinking on the part of Ms Reese......................just because UConn is on her list doesn't mean that she's on their's..........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fair enough Slu. There are better clips of Reese out there including this one from USA basketball trials.

Still seeing really low release points/scoop shots. At 6-2/6-3, F, and "athletic" you need to be going over people, not under them.

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised because I thought Kylee Watson may fit Geno's system better. I realize they may no longer be recruiting her so its a moot point but just thinking in terms of skill set and strengths. Watson can shoot from the outside and that is the major differentiator. Watson looks taller and stronger too.

Reaction Score

Sign her up! Let's remember Gabby was considered a little raw based on her injuries but super athletic and she worked out pretty well....

Reaction Score
Sign her up! Let's remember Gabby was considered a little raw based on her injuries but super athletic and she worked out pretty well....

Gabby was almost an Olympic qualifier as a teenager, she is just a different level athletically than 99% of future prospects Geno considers. Her motor was unmatched too

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are doing what some might call a Roger Clemens and "misremembering" how polished an offensive guard Gabby was in high school.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
perhaps he knows the odds of getting Gusters, Marshall, Daniels or a few of the other bigger players are not that great......on the other hand this may all be wishful thinking on the part of Ms Reese.......just because UConn is on her list doesn't mean that she's on their's.....

FWIW, Reese is rated higher than all those players by every service.

It's possible UConn isn't recruiting her, but then her local paper said she has an offer.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Reese is rated higher than all those players by every service.

It's possible UConn isn't recruiting her, but then her local paper said she has an offer.

that I know but even so Marshall and Daniels have more developed offensive skills..........................Brink was the skilled big that got away..................let's face it 2020 is the year of the guard........big forwards are not the class's strongest suite.............land Bueckers and Hailey Van Lith and any big they can get............if DeBerry comes in 2021 that problem will be solved.........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are doing what some might call a Roger Clemens and "misremembering" how polished an offensive guard Gabby was in high school.

Thank you for suggesting that you know what I was thinking but that wasn't it.....I am a huge Gabby fan and am amazed at the level she reached by the end of her senior year. I said in my post that she had great athleticism. I disagree though with your assessment of her in high school. She had a great drive to the basket and not a whole lot of other basketball skills and then got hurt. She has admitted herself that she had a lot to learn and wasn't ready for UConn bball at first. And that's ok because she sure developed herself by the end. I don't think it's being a bad fan to be honest about how our greats started out. It's where they ended up not where they started that truly matters in education.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thank you for suggesting that you know what I was thinking but that wasn't it.....I am a huge Gabby fan and am amazed at the level she reached by the end of her senior year. I said in my post that she had great athleticism. I disagree though with your assessment of her in high school. She had a great drive to the basket and not a whole lot of other basketball skills and then got hurt. She has admitted herself that she had a lot to learn and wasn't ready for UConn bball at first. And that's ok because she sure developed herself by the end. I don't think it's being a bad fan to be honest about how our greats started out. It's where they ended up not where they started that truly matters in education.
As I stated gabby was a polished "guard" in high school ranked as high as #2 in the class by Bret at ASGR.
Of course she had to learn and develop when she came to UCONN because she was a post player and no longer a guard.

Reaction Score
Maryland want Reese very badly. From people I've talked to about her recruitment, South Carolina and Syracuse have a really good shot with her.

do you think she really has an interest in playing for UConn?

Reaction Score

While I would agree that Gabby was much more polished, all this video does is show her high jumping and shooting layups.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I would agree that Gabby was much more polished, all this video does is show her high jumping and shooting layups.
Watch again because you missed the ball handling in traffic, the court vision, the three ball. It's all there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom