UConn in Angel Reese’s top 8? | The Boneyard

UConn in Angel Reese’s top 8?

Reaction Score
Raoul says so: “Angel Reese, 6-3 W, St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD) [espnW #5]: UConn, Maryland, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia (Dec. 2018)”

Reaction Score
I do know she was in search of immediate playing time, therefore dropping Baylor and adding UConn would make sense.

Looks like from her top 10, she dropped UCLA, Baylor, and Louisville and added UConn.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not sure where he came up with that but I can't find anything on UConn being in on her. I think he simply mixed them and Baylor up.

Reaction Score
Not sure where he came up with that but I can't find anything on UConn being in on her. I think he simply mixed them and Baylor up.
She confirms it in the video. Skip to the very end.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
He posted the dates of the publicly announced lists. Reese did not have UConn in her list back in December.

Reaction Score
In early August, Reese released a top-10 of Baylor, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and Virginia.

She said “I had other places like UConn and Notre Dame, but I’m looking for somewhere I can play my freshman year and get the most out of my four years. That was a big thing for me also and playing for a coach who can get me to the next level.”

Obviously 2019 didn’t exactly go as planned for UConn, and she sees herself having the opportunity to make an immediate impact at UConn, more so than at Baylor.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well I stand corrected. Something changed then because she specifically said this in August as reported here previously:

“For coaching style, all the schools play fast paced. Anybody can bring the ball down. It doesn’t matter about position,” she said. “I had other places like UConn and Notre Dame, but I’m looking for somewhere I can play my freshman year and get the most out of my four years. That was a big thing for me also and playing for a coach who can get me to the next level.”

St. Frances' Angel Reese trims hoops recruiting list to 10 — including Maryland

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
FYI, Reese is ranked 5th at ESPN and Prospects Nation, 4th at Blue Star, and was 6th at ASGR as of last spring.

Reaction Score
Raoul rarely misses a thing. He is quite impressive. Not totally uncommon for prospects to alter their finalists. Obviously a lot happened with Christyn and her finalists, and another case is Kaelynn Satterfield who took a random visit to Oregon after them not being in her top 5.

Reaction Score
If Reese is looking for playing time South Carolina seems like a strange pick considering they just signed Boston and Amihere for their frontcourt.

ESPN list her as a 6’3 wing, maybe she can play some small forward in college with the right coaching.

High lights from this season, she’s number 10 in gray.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ESPN list her as a 6’3 wing, maybe she can play some small forward in college with the right coaching.

I think she's a power forward with some small forward skills. But she has a very unorthodox, almost awkward game that's incredibly productive. I don't think using her as a wing would be the best way to get the most out of her potential.

Reaction Score
wow................... a lot of matador defense from Ms Reese on that clip.............I don't necessarily see her as a UConn style player but as they say, any port in a storm

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you all had a problem with Kis's lay up, Angel's would make your heads spin around! Most of these kids come out of HS green as green grass.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll just go ahead and say it. Reese never struck me as a UCONN type player. In all the clips I have seen she has been unusually disengaged on the defensive side of the ball. About a year ago she was struggling literally with which hand to shoot the basketball with. She had a better showing at USA basketball trials but still position undefined. Strength and size will be an issue for her as a post and ball handling and shooting would be issues were she to play on the wing. For those that are advocating UCONN casting a wider net or finding any port in the storm don't be surprise if this particular fish gets tossed back in the evaluation process. The other troubling aspect is that Geno & the staff are not very tolerant of recruits looking for playing time as part of their selection.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think it's impossible that Reese ends up similar to Nina Davis who also played out of position relative to her size and was a bit awkward but had a tremendous motor, nose for the ball, and solid skills.

Reaction Score
She might even have an offer:

Star junior Angel Reese was the standout for St. Frances.

The lanky forward who holds an offer from UConn as well as many other prestigious women's college basketball programs had 21 points to go with 11 rebounds and 5 assists.

Leesville Road falls big to St. Frances (MD), 74-30

here we go again..............does she really have an offer or does she just think she is deserving of an offer

Reaction Score
I'll just go ahead and say it. Reese never struck me as a UCONN type player. In all the clips I have seen she has been unusually disengaged on the defensive side of the ball. About a year ago she was struggling literally with which hand to shoot the basketball with. She had a better showing at USA basketball trials but still position undefined. Strength and size will be an issue for her as a post and ball handling and shooting would be issues were she to play on the wing. For those that are advocating UCONN casting a wider net or finding any port in the storm don't be surprise if this particular fish gets tossed back in the evaluation process. The other troubling aspect is that Geno & the staff are not very tolerant of recruits looking for playing time as part of their selection.

You know I'm all for wide nets but I'd be surprised if UConn was really serious about Reece.....................her unwillingness to defend has Tennessee/Louisville written all over her.................I'm sorry but I'd prefer Kylee Watson..............

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If anyone thinks (as I do) that Laeticia Amihere is raw, take a look at this young lady. I mean uncooked on both offense and defense. The athleticism is there.though What a nice little euro-step she has. At 6.4"! Through the whole clip however I kept saying, "Just body up inside, what's there to stop you?". I'm still waiting; and her motor and conditioning are highly suspect. Where are the blocked shots, the rebounds, something on the block, a shot from outside of 5 feet. Where's the snarl in her game, a little attitude. The biggest person on the court by 6 inches and she couldn't dominate for at least some stretches of the game? With time running down and the coach wants the ball in her hands at half court in order to dribble inside for the last shot instead of posting up for an easy 2? Well, that says it all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If anyone thinks (as I do) that Laeticia Amihere is raw, take a look at this young lady. I mean uncooked on both offense and defense. The athleticism is there.though What a nice little euro-step she has. At 6.4"! Through the whole clip however I kept saying, "Just body up inside, what's there to stop you?". I'm still waiting; and her motor and conditioning are highly suspect. Where are the blocked shots, the rebounds, something on the block, a shot from outside of 5 feet. Where's the snarl in her game, a little attitude. The biggest person on the court by 6 inches and she couldn't dominate for at least some stretches of the game? With time running down and the coach wants the ball in her hands at half court in order to dribble inside for the last shot instead of posting up for an easy 2? Well, that says it all.
Thank you! For a while there I though I was the only one seeing these things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom