Uconn improving | The Boneyard

Uconn improving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Feeling like many of us the World Vision Tourney wasnt the greatest competition but it appears to have done some good. It gave Uconn a chance to work on weaknesses that were exploited during the Stanford game. UConn looks much improved. There is better flow and movement without the ball. The defense is suffacating. KML and Bria are a great combo in the backcourt and both AAs. Bria can score in a variety of ways. KML is Machine Gun Mosqueda. Tiffany is much improved hitting more treys as well as filling up the stat sheet. Her ability to penetrate will help us especially againest TAM and Baylor. Her ability to fill up the stat sheet is even more important. I really like the way were playing and granted it hasnt been againest the top competition but it is under game conditions. With Heathers improvement and Kiahs defense and shot blocking ability UConn is positioning itself for the upcoming big games againest TAM and Baylor. I see team improvement each game as well as individual improvement.

A couple of weeks ago we were concerned about our outside shooting. That question has been answered. A couple of weeks ago there were alot of questions and comments. Uconn has a bunch of scoring threats and alot of different ways to score at every position. Bria Tiff KML and Kelly have satisfied alot of questions. IMO Stef needs to get more touches but on the other hand Stef is part of the reason we're getting open outside shots. Defenses cant leave Stef open. We are beginning to come together as a team

TAM is a very good defensive team. IMO underrated. TAM is going to be a good test and I expect our defense to shine. The Baylor game, I cant wait for. I expect us to press and run them while keeping Griner out of the paint with our big bodies underneath. This will be a game where are ability to execute our offense will shine. This will be a game where are physical conditioning, our disipline and all the little things we do and take for granted will shine brightly. Stef must stay out of foul trouble and Heather and Kiah will need to play good defense. I like our chances alot after seeing howUConn has come together over the past 4 games.

Reaction Score
Agree, wondering why we don't go to Steph more for scoring.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Agree, wondering why we don't go to Steph more for scoring.
Geno had said that going to Stef was meaningless because it was too easy and there was nothing to be learned in the offense by using that option.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno had said that going to Stef was meaningless because it was too easy and there was nothing to be learned in the offense by using that option.
while that makes sense on one hand, couldn't you use the same argument that "well we know KML and Bria can knock down 3's so no reason to work on that"? i would think that you could work on pick and rolls, mid range jumpers, and have her working the defense from both the left and right sides of the court.

i'm not disagreeing with Geno per se. obviously he's the master, but count me among the fans who would have preferred to see Stef averaging about 15 PPG at this point, with many more types of scoring, rather than our guards jacking up over 40 3-point attempts...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just reporting that this is what he said. Nothing more.

My sense of the situation is that Geno felt the team needed to learn about other things in the offense and to run it through to its conclusion and reset. It was the same reason he told Brianna to stop the coast to coast runs and lay ups. Nothing beneficial for the team was coming of it. It had less to do with who can make what shot than in executing the offense overall. Going directly to Stef and her just putting the ball in the hoop at about 80% wasn't allowing the team to progress in the overall needs in the early season.

I am not sure that same applies now.

He, was, also, talking about Stef in the low post and the catch, turn and shoot. He was not talking about getting the ball to her in the high post or at other points on the floor and the offensive sets. It really doesn't matter how much she scores as long as she scores when the opportunity is available. If she can do that she presents a viable threat that must be honored and when it isn't you exploit it to retain the attention of the defense creating more space on the perimeter. As long as she fights for position on the blocks and is ready to score Geno will be happy.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn's improving so much, it's inspired TonyC to write in paragraphs!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger