UCONN/IMG sign 15 year extention | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN/IMG sign 15 year extention

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I come to obvious conclusions based on the fact I understand business.

Obviously the Big East would have been better off taking the last deal, when they refused, ESPN destroyed the league in response. That seems pretty clear even to someone like you in retrospect?
Lol, someone is a little sensitive. Relax we're just discussing the early reports of the deal. It's not personal.

The article defines revenue very broadly. Did you not read it?

You actually agree with me but are arguing out of habit.

The deal as stated in the article makes no sense for IMG so what is the real deal.
Yep:
Revenues are defined in the contract by commercial sales for radio, TV, print and other activities, in addition to station or booth fees from non-conference opponents, other income received by IMG from the multimedia rights and the value of any merchandise, goods or services IMG receives in payment or exchange for commercial time.

Can you quantify the value of this piece and make a determination of it's value relative to the rest of the contract?

Reaction Score
Lol, it's a good deal by any measure. Most P5 programs would jump at the chance for it.

Is it good? Maybe. It shows that there is still substantial value in the UConn brand.

However, it’s definitely not great that I believe it is a worse deal for UConn than the previous IMG deal.

CL82

Reaction Score
You don’t know A and no way on B.
Respectfully disagree. If you want to satisfy yourself though, google media rights deals of college athletics. I'm pretty confident we're comfortably above the 50% mark.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lol, someone is a little sensitive. Relax we're just discussing the early reports of the deal. It's not personal.

Yep:
Revenues are defined in the contract by commercial sales for radio, TV, print and other activities, in addition to station or booth fees from non-conference opponents, other income received by IMG from the multimedia rights and the value of any merchandise, goods or services IMG receives in payment or exchange for commercial time.

Can you quantify the value of this piece and make a determination of it's value relative to the rest of the contract?

Nope. That’s the point. That part of the deal sounds wildly favorable for UConn if you use a traditional definition of revenue.

So what does ‘revenue’ mean and what did they give up in trade.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
All I know is we monetized a slew of outer years today and there is no way any administration can resist using this new pot of funds today. So today is good while years blank to blank most likely got a lot thinner.

Are there any other of tomorrow’s assets we can sell today?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It doesn’t say ‘net’ revenue. And if they mean ‘net’ revenue there are words for that.

The fact it looks like it makes no sense for IMG just begs the question what aren’t they telling us.

The article can be wrong?

Guess this is my chief moment....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
All I know is we monetized a slew of outer years today and there is no way any administration can resist using this new pot of funds today. So today is good while years blank to blank most likely got a lot thinner.

Are there any other of tomorrow’s assets we can sell today?

Naming rights for the new athletic stadiums?

CL82

Reaction Score
Nope. That’s the point. That part of the deal sounds wildly favorable for UConn if you use a traditional definition of revenue.

So what does ‘revenue’ mean and what did they give up in trade.
Yep that is exactly the point. It's interesting, not only the what but the why.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The decrease from $8M/yr to $6M/yr is just a reflection of conference affiliation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Compared to every other G5 athletic department, I would guess that only BYU would approach that level of financial backing from IMG/other. So this news is still positive in that sense - we're still sitting at the top of the G5 food chain. Whether or not that is good or bad can be argued until we're Husky blue in the face.

Reaction Score
Signing a 15 year deal pretty much means one of two things.

1. Our leadership doesn’t perform their fiduciary duty very well
2. Everyone holding on to CR can let go of that ghost.

It’s just them kicking the rock down the road so someone else needs to make the hard decisions.
I agree that CR is a pretty much a ghost at this point, but if you are implying that this deal somehow prevents UConn from going to the Big10 if invited, you are wrong. CR first, ask questions, litigate and pay penalties later, YKWIM.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The article is an absolute mess - it’s a fairly traditional rights deal.

It has nothing to do with conference realignment, has no impact on conference realignment and portends nothing in terms of future realignment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It has nothing to do with conference realignment, has no impact on conference realignment and portends nothing in terms of future realignment.

Your marketing skills need some work. Wasting a perfectly good opportunity to drive clicks to the CR board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that CR is a pretty much a ghost at this point, but if you are implying that this deal somehow prevents UConn from going to the Big10 if invited, you are wrong. CR first, ask questions, litigate and pay penalties later, YKWIM.

Anyone who has any realistic dream that UConn was going to end up in a better conference doesn’t sign a 15 year deal.

it doesn’t get any simpler than that.

You sign a 15 year deal because you look at how much longer Geno coaches and panic at what that means. That’s the argument for 15 years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Anyone who has any realistic dream that UConn was going to end up in a better conference doesn’t sign a 15 year deal.

I don't think this would matter because most P5 conferences have their T3 & ancillary media rights embedded into their conferences' overall media deals. In other words, most P5 conference members forfeit T3 rights. I think all but the Big 12 does this.

But I don't think CR is on the horizon any time soon so no need for everyone to get all up in arms about this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think this would matter because most P5 conferences have their T3 & ancillary media rights embedded into their conferences' overall media deals. In other words, most P5 conference members forfeit T3 rights. I think all but the Big 12 does this.

But I don't think CR is on the horizon any time soon so no need for everyone to get all up in arms about this.

The rights UConn sells to IMG everyone else keeps too.

Who is saying get up in arms? It’s another data point nothing is happening.

In case you haven’t noticed on Diaco, Ollie and others... some people need a lotta breadcrumbs before they get home.

Reaction Score

You sign a 15 year deal because you look at how much longer Geno coaches and panic at what that means. That’s the argument for 15 years.

Sure they do. And you know why?

You sign a 15 year deal because you look at how much longer Geno coaches and panic at what that means

You gave the answer yourself. There are plenty of reasons for signing; no hope in CR, as you state, is not one of them. This is a business decision that needed to be addressed at this time and it was. It has nothing to do with CR.

I guess I just disagree. Nothing more to be said.

CL82

Reaction Score

Not so much. You sign a 15 year deal because the money is good and it adds consistency to your revenue stream. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

So, let me ask you, if IMG was confident that UConn had no value, why would lock into a 15 year deal? If IMG felt that that UConn's value was on the decline, why would it back load if profits interest?

We can agree that there is zero evidence that UConn's conference affiliation is going to change in the foreseeable future. I suppose there's always hope, but hope is faith based not data based.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Sure they do. And you know why?

You sign a 15 year deal because you look at how much longer Geno coaches and panic at what that means

You gave the answer yourself. There are plenty of reasons for signing; no hope in CR, as you state, is not one of them. This is a business decision that needed to be addressed at this time and it was. It has nothing to do with CR.

I guess I just disagree. Nothing more to be said.

The deal they signed goes down in 2018 dollars every year for 15. Even if inflation is only 2% - 6.15 million in 2033 is only 4.6 million in 2018 dollars.

I’m certainly open to the idea they are just inept, but otherwise is a pretty tacit admission that the future is not bright.

They are like 3 months from hitting payday lenders borrowing against 2025 revenues so they can grab an escape hatch and never make a tough decision. They got 2 million today - so screw the future.

CL82

Reaction Score
The decrease from $8M/yr to $6M/yr is just a reflection of conference affiliation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Compared to every other G5 athletic department, I would guess that only BYU would approach that level of financial backing from IMG/other. So this news is still positive in that sense - we're still sitting at the top of the G5 food chain. Whether or not that is good or bad can be argued until we're Husky blue in the face.
Mmm, conference affiliation and the change of the media right market which seems to be cooling off.

Reaction Score

Surprised by your take on the 15 year contract Whaler. You're a smart dude
Contracts like these would have change provisions written into it to protect up and downside for both parties. So you do sign a 15 year deal if you're comfortable with the change provisions. e.g. 'Both parties agree to re-opening contract should UConn join or be extended an invite to join a P5 Conference'. I've been a part of enough contracting in my time that they always has flexibility written into them...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Surprised by your take on the 15 year contract Whaler. You're a smart dude
Contracts like these would have change provisions written into it to protect up and downside for both parties. So you do sign a 15 year deal if you're comfortable with the change provisions. e.g. 'Both parties agree to re-opening contract should UConn join or be extended an invite to join a P5 Conference'. I've been a part of enough contracting in my time that they always has flexibility written into them...

Yep would love to know what outs exist. There could be some on the downside as well.

Would love to see the shell of the Courant provide a check on government and do better than publish an incoherent rehashing of a press release... but here we are.

It might be a good deal when we see the details... but the guaranteed money declining every year (in real dollars) for 15 looks like stealing from tomorrow to pay for today.

Reaction Score
Yep would love to know what outs exist. There could be some on the downside as well.

Would love to see the shell of the Courant provide a check on government and do better than publish an incoherent rehashing of a press release... but here we are.

It might be a good deal when we see the details... but the guaranteed money declining every year (in real dollars) for 15 looks like stealing from tomorrow to pay for today.
Agree on your last point. Gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today kinda thing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom