UConn hosts Texas 11/14 6:30 pm ET FS1 | The Boneyard

UConn hosts Texas 11/14 6:30 pm ET FS1

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

UConn women’s basketball vs. No. 3 Texas, what you need to know​

After running past both Kutztown (exhibition) and Northeastern (season opener) quite effortlessly, the Huskies will face their biggest test of the year against Texas. The Longhorns are bigger than UConn, with six players 6-foot-2 or taller, and also have depth on the bench. Monday will be the first chance to see which Huskies rise to the occasion and step up to lead when needed. Without Paige Bueckers, the role is up for grabs. Will Nika Mühl take charge as the team’s new point guard? Or will Azzi Fudd carry the team’s offense?

Swin Cash honored - UConn will honor former Husky great Swin Cash prior to Monday night’s tip-off as the program will officially retire her No. 32 up in the rafter of Gampel Pavilion.

No. 3 Texas at No. 6 UConn
When: Monday, 6:30 p.m. ET
Where: Gampel Pavilion
Records: UConn (1-0, Big East), Texas (1-0, Big 12)
TV: FS1, UConn Sports Network
Radio: ESPN 97.9 UConn Radio Network. Varsity Radio for fans outside of Connecticut. The pregame show with Bob Joyce and Debbie Fiske airs 30 minutes prior to tip off.

Reaction Score
The Longhorns are bigger than UConn, with six players 6-foot-2 or taller,
Yes, they do, though all of them are either freshmen or new transfers except Gaston. Taylor Jones is for real. I don’t know about the rest.

Reaction Score
In the previous game, the two freshmen and Jones played ~25 mins each. Gaston played 15, and the others played 5 or less. Their lineup is clearly still in flux. I expect Jones and Gaston to become the main front court players eventually. Faye may not be healthy enough for major minutes yet. She’s tall but doesn’t bring much scoring punch to the team. Jones is the scorer in this bunch.

Reaction Score

UConn women’s basketball vs. No. 3 Texas, what you need to know​

After running past both Kutztown (exhibition) and Northeastern (season opener) quite effortlessly, the Huskies will face their biggest test of the year against Texas. The Longhorns are bigger than UConn, with six players 6-foot-2 or taller, and also have depth on the bench. Monday will be the first chance to see which Huskies rise to the occasion and step up to lead when needed. Without Paige Bueckers, the role is up for grabs. Will Nika Mühl take charge as the team’s new point guard? Or will Azzi Fudd carry the team’s offense?

Swin Cash honored - UConn will honor former Husky great Swin Cash prior to Monday night’s tip-off as the program will officially retire her No. 32 up in the rafter of Gampel Pavilion.

No. 3 Texas at No. 6 UConn
When: Monday, 6:30 p.m. ET
Where: Gampel Pavilion
Records: UConn (1-0, Big East), Texas (1-0, Big 12)
TV: FS1, UConn Sports Network
Radio: ESPN 97.9 UConn Radio Network. Varsity Radio for fans outside of Connecticut. The pregame show with Bob Joyce and Debbie Fiske airs 30 minutes prior to tip off.
I watched Texas play on YouTube and tho they are tall,they did not play as a unit. A lot of misdirected passes and poor shooting in the first 2 quarters. We should have a field day with this team. They did not deserve their No. 3 rank. when we beat them we will replace them as No.3 I believe if we use a full court press from the start of the game, it will be all over by halftime. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I revisited You Tube and checked the stats they had against Lousiana. They shot 38.8 %. On 3 pointers, they were 1-11. They had 25 turnovers and made 27 fouls. They lived at the free throw line, 29-38. These stats show why we will win . 1-We don't foul 27 times in a game. 2-We will decimate with 3 's. 3- they only had 10 more rebounds than Louisiana had. For a team with so many 6 footers against a team with no-one over 6 foot, that tells what kind of team they are. I expect a good game and a win by 30 points. GO HUSKIES!!!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Thanks @Carnac.

More here:

C6C3C7D7-6EFF-41DF-BC76-61C8E77555D4.jpeg

Reaction Score
I watched Texas play on YouTube and tho they are tall,they did not play as a unit. A lot of misdirected passes and poor shooting in the first 2 quarters. We should have a field day with this team. They did not deserve their No. 3 rank. when we beat them we will replace them as No.3 I believe if we use a full court press from the start of the game, it will be all over by halftime. GO HUSKIES!!!
I hope you are right!! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I have us winning by 33 in that other thread. Color me a fool, but I like our chances… a lot.

We haven’t figured ourselves out completely yet either. But we have a lot more talent, especially on offense. If Azzi and Lou hit 5 3s between them in the first quarter, which I sort of expect, that will set the tone for the rest of the game. After that, those two will be able to drive the lane and put Texas in foul trouble early.

The interesting challenge is whether we’ll be able to control the boards, since their front court is so active inside. We are a little thin there and can’t afford any foul trouble. This is how it will be all season, so we need to learn discipline now. A good test.

Reaction Score
I got us winning. Texas looked very suspect against Louisianna after that first quarter. The first quarter, Texas looked pretty unstoppable. But after that it was a struggle. But this is going to be a great test for our UConn squad. Do we continue that solid offensive balance? How do we assert ourselves defensively and offensively? Do we come out swinging or be the passive fighter in this matchup? So many questions and we will see how we measure up. I got us winning but this is going to be a great test.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I revisited You Tube and checked the stats they had against Lousiana. They shot 38.8 %. On 3 pointers, they were 1-11. They had 25 turnovers and made 27 fouls. They lived at the free throw line, 29-38. These stats show why we will win . 1-We don't foul 27 times in a game. 2-We will decimate with 3 's. 3- they only had 10 more rebounds than Louisiana had. For a team with so many 6 footers against a team with no-one over 6 foot, that tells what kind of team they are. I expect a good game and a win by 30 points. GO HUSKIES!!!
Thanks Next 12. An excellent short and to-the-point scouting report of Texas.

Reaction Score
The two freshmen, Mwenentanda and Muhammad look promising. They could grow into substantial contributors this season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I got us winning. Texas looked very suspect against Louisianna after that first quarter. The first quarter, Texas looked pretty unstoppable. But after that it was a struggle. But this is going to be a great test for our UConn squad. Do we continue that solid offensive balance? How do we assert ourselves defensively and offensively? Do we come out swinging or be the passive fighter in this matchup? So many questions and we will see how we measure up. I got us winning but this is going to be a great test.
We can’t come out passive waiting for them to throw the first punch. We can’t wait for the game to come to us. That is a recipe for losing. Come out aggressive in attack mode as the NFL football Giant’s Lawrence Taylor once said “like a bunch of crazed dogs and have some fun.” :eek:

Protect your house. This is your house! You don’t lose on your floor! Let’s get back to playing aggressive UConn basketball like we did during the Breanna Stewart-Morgan Tuck-Moriah Jefferson glory years. “When the ball comes your way, make a play” ~ Sue Bird

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The key for UConn tonite is for the Bigs to stay out of foul trouble. Many of you are saying UConn by 30. I like that. It will be fun and UConn will win by alot.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have us winning by 33 in that other thread. Color me a fool, but I like our chances… a lot.

We haven’t figured ourselves out completely yet either. But we have a lot more talent, especially on offense. If Azzi and Lou hit 5 3s between them in the first quarter, which I sort of expect, that will set the tone for the rest of the game. After that, those two will be able to drive the lane and put Texas in foul trouble early.

The interesting challenge is whether we’ll be able to control the boards, since their front court is so active inside. We are a little thin there and can’t afford any foul trouble. This is how it will be all season, so we need to learn discipline now. A good test.
Doggie, pour me one of whatever it is you’re drinking. A 33 point mov? :eek: That would be a massive blowout.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The key for UConn tonite is for the Bigs to stay out of foul trouble. Many of you are saying UConn by 30. I like that. It will be fun and UConn will win by alot.
Let me check the prognostication thread once again to see how many are predicting a 30 pt mov. Maybe I missed something. :confused:

Reaction Score
If Azzi and Lou combine for 50 -- not out of the realm of possibility -- and Aaliyah and Dorka both notch double doubles -- also plausible -- it's hard to see how we don't top 80 pts.

Oddly, I'm more confident about the other side, that we hold Texas to 60 or less. Scoring has always been their struggle, and it won't get any easier against us.

Here's a side question: how many steals will each team get? I'll put the over-under at 14 and that we get 9. Our steals will come at the perimeter or in transition and theirs will come in the paint. They pack the paint and are very active in there, and we'll outrun them on every loose ball.

Will they manage to contain Azzi and Lou? It's not inconceivable, but without Harmon I don't think they have the backcourt athletes to do it. Those two shoot so well, it's not enough to be long and quick. You have to be longer and a lot quicker to compensate for their shooting.

Reaction Score
I mean, picture this situation: Azzi and Lou are hot, and Nika has hit one 3 and one midrange in the first half. How does Texas guard them while still accounting for Dorka and Aaliyah down low? Help on the perimeter and Aaliyah and Dorka have easy one on one opportunities. Help in the paint and here come the 3s. Add Aubrey Ayanna and maybe even Caroline to the mix and its "Game on!"

Reaction Score
The keys to me are to take care of the basketball and defend without fouling. Vic’s teams have historically always played tough defense. If we take care of the ball, we have a lot of capable shot makers, leading me to favor our chances to shoot a higher percentage from the floor than Texas. If we defend without fouling, we don’t allow them to make up that difference from the foul line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom