UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Once the hockey program(s) have their own on-campus barn/team facility that can compete on even ground with the rest of HE (as well as QU & Yale for that matter), in my opinion Cav will take this program to where he wants it to go. The present group of freshman should be playing their senior season on campus, and with the experience they will have gained added to that by continued recruiting classes of HE level kids could be a special year.
No matter what though, once the barn/team facility plans are finalized on paper, and a shovel goes into the ground he will be able to show a concrete level of support by the school...it won't just be a set of drawings. Then let the show begin recruiting wise.

Reaction Score
The on-campus arena absolutely must happen for the program to succeed in the long term. That said, I'm confident those in power know this and will work to get it done. It won't be the cure-all to bring the program to the top of HE, but it's a big step.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
The losers of Mansfield will do their best to block the arena. I can't wait to see them lose. Bring it on baby. UCONN Hockey is for real.

Reaction Score
has there been any progress on the new on campus hockey arena? was the ETA ever announced?

Reaction Score
The losers of Mansfield will do their best to block the arena. I can't wait to see them lose. Bring it on baby. UCONN Hockey is for real.

No to mention the city of Hartford and certain state legislators who realize that the only viable way to support a revamped XL or new arena with a NHL size capacity is for all UConn winter sports (both basketball and men's hockey) games to be played there because the NHL is not coming back.

Reaction Score
has there been any progress on the new on campus hockey arena? was the ETA ever announced?
They need to have a design finished and break ground by next spring according to the terms set by Hockey East when they extended the invitation to join the league.

Reaction Score
No to mention the city of Hartford and certain state legislators who realize that the only viable way to support a revamped XL or new arena with a NHL size capacity is for all UConn winter sports (both basketball and men's hockey) games to be played there because the NHL is not coming back.
That's all well and good...BUT UCONN was told upfront by HE they needed and on-campus arena to fulfill membership requirements.

Reaction Score
That's all well and good...BUT UCONN was told upfront by HE they needed and on-campus arena to fulfill membership requirements.

Certainly true, but I doubt that will stop Hartford politicians from using their influence to try to get as many UConn sporting events played in Hartford as they can, and that includes ice hockey.

Reaction Score
Certainly true, but I doubt that will stop Hartford politicians from using their influence to try to get as many UConn sporting events played in Hartford as they can, and that includes ice hockey.
That's all well and good....but UCONN isn't abandoning on campus venues to satisfy the City of Hartford inability to keep the Whalers. Is this going to turn into UCONN has the responsibility to bail out the City of Hartford's ineptness?

Reaction Score
The NHL wanted the Whalers gone. Too bad Gampel was not designed to include ice hockey. Some games just might have to be played in Hartford with an on-campus rink of 5K.

Reaction Score
The NHL wanted the Whalers gone. Too bad Gampel was not designed to include ice hockey. Some games just might have to be played in Hartford with an on-campus rink of 5K.
a 5k on-campus arena and big games in Hartford is fine...pushing to play every game in Hartford so they can be the main arena tenant...no way.

Reaction Score
If and when we're in the B1G, that 5K arena might end up looking useless. Except when Ohio State comes around.

Reaction Score
Too all the people worrying about the 25-30 UConn dates mandated by the CRDA in their proposed 5 year lease agreement, relax. Absolutely nothing changes because UConn Hockey will be there until 2018-19 and they account for 15 dates. The precious basketball is safe.

Reaction Score
Florida Panthers?

1 of Carolina, Florida or Phoenix.

I think we'll have Las Vegas & Quebec City as expansion, Phoenix to Seattle when the out clause activates and around that time Florida or Carolina will become portable. The new XL Center will be ready and we'll be a solution to one of the NHL's headaches.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Oh I know all about Las Vegas' situation and don't agree with them as a contender but Gary and the owners only care about whether or not they get their asking price of $500M. The sticking point now for the NHL is how long they decide to wait for Seattle to build their arena. If little progress is made over the next 18-24 months I think they reluctantly go with QC as the 2nd expansion team.

Reaction Score
The day Gary Bettman either retires or gets hit by a bus will be the absolute hands down BEST day in NHL history...especially for the fans! Wait till next season when the cap goes down again!

Reaction Score
Oh I know all about Las Vegas' situation and don't agree with them as a contender but Gary and the owners only care about whether or not they get their asking price of $500M. The sticking point now for the NHL is how long they decide to wait for Seattle to build their arena. If little progress is made over the next 18-24 months I think they reluctantly go with QC as the 2nd expansion team.

That I agree with. I mean, the story on Las Vegas is that they may have to consider day games versus night games on Fridays and Saturdays to fill the seats because fans (locals and visitors) just have too many options at night in Vegas. That clearly will not help NHL TV contracts as people work and no not watch TV Friday afternoons and Saturday afternoons through December are packed with college football and January though March with college basketball plus the growing viewership of European tier 1 soccer (EPL, La Liga, etc.). Not to mention the talent pool in the NHL is spread too thin already. Improve the quality of the product on the ice first and move the product to where people care about hockey (Pheonix to Seattle, Florida to Quebec City, Columbus to Hamilton/Toronto, and Carolina back to Hartford [yes, I am dreaming on that one]). Oh, and fire Bettman.

Reaction Score
If and when we're in the B1G, that 5K arena might end up looking useless. Except when Ohio State comes around.

No one will complain when the XL sells out at 15K plus for UConn Hockey. It will happen.

Reaction Score
I haven't figured out why if they want a team in Vegas, just move Arizona there.

Reaction Score
I haven't figured out why if they want a team in Vegas, just move Arizona there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom