UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not irate about reality...I get irate when UConn fans like yourself think that because it's UConn that ANY terms of joining a conference can be violated at any time because what is temporary works. Since you may live in a bubble here in CT I will clue you in...go over to the USCHO forum and chime in about your views on Conn's on-campus situation and see where you get. UConn agreed to a deal when they accepted entrance into HE. That deal is to have a on-campus arena of a minimum size of 4500 by the start of the 2019 season. Besides I'm sure you will be one of the first off the bandwagon when Cav can't recruit the kids he needs to compete for a HE championship and the program ends up being like UMass.

I've been following and watching the team since it was in Division III playing St. Anselm outdoors. Give me a break. And Cav will continue to build this team, he's not going anywhere and the program is moving forwards.

Reaction Score
I've been following and watching the team since it was in Division III playing St. Anselm outdoors. Give me a break. And Cav will continue to build this team, he's not going anywhere and the program is moving forwards.
Cool then we have 1 thing in common...I learned to skate/play hockey on the outdoor rink and went to games until I left the area for NYC in 1999. I've been a season ticket holder since they went to HE. Have had football tickets at Rent since 03...at Memorial from 96-99.

Reaction Score
I played at the rink too, remember the cold hitting my face through my facemask. I saw the first game ever at Freitas as well and thought it was amazing at the time but now the program has totally outgrown it. I liked Storrs and have fond memories but since I left UConn I rarely get up there. Hartford is great for me, never miss a hockey game now. I think many recruits will like the pro atmosphere there but you'd have to ask them.

Reaction Score
Any any on this from UConn? I also heard from Benedict that getting hockey on campus is a priority; but, with Mansfield blocking the original proposed location at S Eaglesville Rd, budget issues in Hartford, and all of this XII expansion talk, it seems to have pushed down the line.

Reaction Score
Any any on this from UConn? I also heard from Benedict that getting hockey on campus is a priority; but, with Mansfield blocking the original proposed location at S Eaglesville Rd, budget issues in Hartford, and all of this XII expansion talk, it seems to have pushed down the line.

I would also guess that another athletic department priority is the fundraising that is going currently for the hopefully soon to be built soccer, baseball, and softball facilities. The hockey facility will no doubt become the top fundraising priority after those facilities are closer to completion.

Reaction Score
If they ever expand Freitas I am gonna miss the beer when they play there. Just sayin' ...

The rest of the food that they have at the XL but won't have at Freitas as well. I really kinda like the XL is the bottom line.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
The state better put the $$ up for the on-campus facility. A real home ice advantage is more important than a little business for Hartford. I know exactly what BC Malloy and his boys are thinking.

Reaction Score
The state better put the $$ up for the on-campus facility. A real home ice advantage is more important than a little business for Hartford. I know exactly what BC Malloy and his boys are thinking.

Wow! The state has put up the better part of $2B for UConn capital projects in the last 10-15 years. I love sports and hockey is my favorite, but demanding during a state budget crisis that it has to provide additional funds for a new rink seems more than a little self-centered. Most of the funds are going to have to be obtained via private fund-raising. That is as it should be.

Reaction Score
Wow! The state has put up the better part of $2B for UConn capital projects in the last 10-15 years. I love sports and hockey is my favorite, but demanding during a state budget crisis that it has to provide additional funds for a new rink seems more than a little self-centered. Most of the funds are going to have to be obtained via private fund-raising. That is as it should be.

I agree. My primary concerns is that Hartford and the state will pressure to keep UConn Hockey in Hartford full time to 'save' the city versus doing what's best for the program over the long-term, which is likely an on-campus arena.

Reaction Score
You'll never see more than 3-4 games a year in Storrs. The students don't show up for Football, they sure as heck wouldn't show up for 15 games a season for HOCKEY. It is what it is. They would likely show up for BC and BU and that's it. That's how fickle the students are and it's a serious problem within the AD.

Everyone should be grateful that the Hartford set up has worked out as well as it has. It's already better then the best case scenario for a Storrs set up which is 4,000-4,500 maximum/game. I'll take the 5,500 we currently draw in Hartford and that's with 2 seasons chalk full of weekday games. Attendance will rise this year since only 3 games are on weekdays and 1 of them is BC.

Throwing that away to play in front of 3-4,000 avg in Storrs so that a few more students take in the game? No chance.

In short HFD County supports UConn Hockey better than Storrs could support it's own team. That's reality. It's not going to change. Students aren't going to ever flock to support the team, they are infatuated with Men's Basketball and that's it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Home Ice advantage? You mean 1,500 students looking down at their phones the whole game?? And that will only be for the BC and BU they won't be bothered to show up for any other opponents.

Reaction Score
You'll never see more than 3-4 games a year in Storrs. The students don't show up for Football, they sure as heck wouldn't show up for 15 games a season for HOCKEY. It is what it is. They would likely show up for BC and BU and that's it. That's how fickle the students are and it's a serious problem within the AD.

Everyone should be grateful that the Hartford set up has worked out as well as it has. It's already better then the best case scenario for a Storrs set up which is 4,000-4,500 maximum/game. I'll take the 5,500 we currently draw in Hartford and that's with 2 seasons chalk full of weekday games. Attendance will rise this year since only 3 games are on weekdays and 1 of them is BC.

Throwing that away to play in front of 3-4,000 avg in Storrs so that a few more students take in the game? No chance.

In short HFD County supports UConn Hockey better than Storrs could support it's own team. That's reality. It's not going to change. Students aren't going to ever flock to support the team, they are infatuated with Men's Basketball and that's it.
Don't be so sure about that. The way the UConn fanbase is the minute this team goes into hard times the new part of UConn in HE will be gone and attendance numbers will follow. Look no further than Rentschler field. And to sustain winning Cav needs a facility on campus to show off to recruits. Bringing them to that dump in Hartford isn't going to move the needle. I'm not going round and round with you again..you know where I stand and I know where you stand.

Reaction Score
Don't be so sure about that. The way the UConn fanbase is the minute this team goes into hard times the new part of UConn in HE will be gone and attendance numbers will follow. Look no further than Rentschler field. And to sustain winning Cav needs a facility on campus to show off to recruits. Bringing them to that dump in Hartford isn't going to move the needle. I'm not going round and round with you again..you know where I stand and I know where you stand.

We've been in hard times now for 2 seasons and attendance only dropped off the little bit it did because nearly half the schedule fell on mid-weekdays. The fact that attendance was what it was is actually a testament to the Hartford fanbase, I can't imagine many other fanbases drawing what we did given the same schedule.. If the number doesn't rise this year I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

An on-campus arena is important for training and recruiting but playing anymore than 2-3 games a season there as I've said many times would be foolish. The students do not care about the niche sport of hockey but HFD County has demonstrated they absolutely do.

Reaction Score
We've been in hard times now for 2 seasons and attendance only dropped off the little bit it did because nearly half the schedule fell on mid-weekdays. The fact that attendance was what it was is actually a testament to the Hartford fanbase, I can't imagine many other fanbases drawing what we did given the same schedule.. If the number doesn't rise this year I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

An on-campus arena is important for training and recruiting but playing anymore than 2-3 games a season there as I've said many times would be foolish. The students do not care about the niche sport of hockey but HFD County has demonstrated they absolutely do.
You call the past 2 seasons hard times? You have to be kidding me with this statement. I call the past 2 seasons really good considering the talent level on the roster when Cav arrived. If things don't change in the next 3-4 years it's gonna get worse. It will be like watching the Whalers all over again..and everyone knows how bad they sucked a majority of the time. It must be nice to get out of work, grab a few beers and dinner and head to the game...Then have a quick ride home. Let's be honest that's why you don't want to see the games moved to campus. And for the record I drive from Westchester County to the games so moving them to campus isn't going to be good for me. How would you know what the student fan base is going to be on campus? They have to drive to the games now then pay to park. I don't know about you but when I went to college that was out of the question. I didn't have that kind of discretionary income. Maybe you did...that's great. Split the schedule...put the high end games in Hartford and the rest on campus. But then again that would require a bit of a commute for you and be a little out of your way..not so convenient.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You call the past 2 seasons hard times? You have to be kidding me with this statement. I call the past 2 seasons really good considering the talent level on the roster when Cav arrived. If things don't change in the next 3-4 years it's gonna get worse. It will be like watching the haters all over again..and everyone knows how bad they sucked a majority of the time. It must be nice to get out of work, grab a few beers and dinner and head to the game...Then have a quick ride home. Let's be honest that's why you don't want to see the games moved to campus. And for the record I drive from Westchester County to the games so moving them to campus isn't going to be good for me. How would you know what the student fan base is going to be on campus? They have to drive to the games now then pay to park. I don't know about you but when I went to college that was out of the question. I didn't have that kind of discretionary income. Maybe you did...that's great. Split the schedule...put the high end games in Hartford and the rest on campus. But then again that would require a bit of a commute for you and be a little out of your way..not so convenient.

I agree, a team that is new to Hockey East and scholarship hockey has sprung a number of upsets on quality Hockey East teams. I too would hardly call that hard times. The introduction for UConn to Hockey East competition could have been much, much worse in terms of results. The best way to grow the program is to make it easy for UConn students to see the games, thus giving them a chance to become fans of the college game and the team as well. The best way to do that is to give them a chance to see some games on campus once a new campus facility is built.

Reaction Score
You call the past 2 seasons hard times? You have to be kidding me with this statement. I call the past 2 seasons really good considering the talent level on the roster when Cav arrived. If things don't change in the next 3-4 years it's gonna get worse. It will be like watching the Whalers all over again..and everyone knows how bad they sucked a majority of the time. It must be nice to get out of work, grab a few beers and dinner and head to the game...Then have a quick ride home. Let's be honest that's why you don't want to see the games moved to campus. And for the record I drive from Westchester County to the games so moving them to campus isn't going to be good for me. How would you know what the student fan base is going to be on campus? They have to drive to the games now then pay to park. I don't know about you but when I went to college that was out of the question. I didn't have that kind of discretionary income. Maybe you did...that's great. Split the schedule...put the high end games in Hartford and the rest on campus. But then again that would require a bit of a commute for you and be a little out of your way..not so convenient.

I posted plenty that explains my position. I don't want to give up the 5,500 avg. we have which will only rise with a real schedule and throw that away so we can play in front of 4,000. Your point about parking is an indictment on the apathetic UConn student in regards to their hockey team, if some of them actually cared to support them they'd be able to carpool together and it would be a non-issue.

As far as hard times, not quite but this past season was markedly less successful than the 1st outside of the emergence of Letunov/Thompson and the miracle comeback at UNH.

Reaction Score
4,000 in a full house in Storrs is infinitely better for the program- the experience, the financials (rent)- than 6,000 at the XL Center. That's just a fact.

Dang you're right, that must be why they've been in such a rush to break ground.. :confused:

Reaction Score
I agree, a team that is new to Hockey East and scholarship hockey has sprung a number of upsets on quality Hockey East teams. I too would hardly call that hard times. The introduction for UConn to Hockey East competition could have been much, much worse in terms of results. The best way to grow the program is to make it easy for UConn students to see the games, thus giving them a chance to become fans of the college game and the team as well. The best way to do that is to give them a chance to see some games on campus once a new campus facility is built.

You grow the program by purposely shrinking your audience?

Reaction Score
I posted plenty that explains my position. I don't want to give up the 5,500 avg. we have which will only rise with a real schedule and throw that away so we can play in front of 4,000. Your point about parking is an indictment on the apathetic UConn student in regards to their hockey team, if some of them actually cared to support them they'd be able to carpool together and it would be a non-issue.

As far as hard times, not quite but this past season was markedly less successful than the 1st outside of the emergence of Letunov/Thompson and the miracle comeback at UNH.
That is one arrogant reply about the student fan base! I bet you didn't know that the bus was cancelled for the students a few times last year. Not that you really care. I'm glad that UConn hockey fulfills your weekly entertainment needs without having to put yourself out. Must have been nice to grow up in West Hartford with a silver spoon in your mouth and a plush allowance when you were in college...I'll bet you got a car to go to school with too. You truly are out of touch with the program and sport of ice hockey if you think these are "hard times". Go up to Amherst and you will see what "hard times" are. A attendance figure that will "only rise with a real schedule"..WTF do you think has been played since they went to HE and started playing all their games at the XL Center? I do hope you at least have season tickets to football...I mean it would require you to drive a bit out of your way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The 2015-16 was not less successful. They hosted a winnable home playoff series in their second season. Did you expect them to jump to 5th in the standings? THERE IS A CHASM THE SIZE OF THE GRAND CANYON BETWEEN THE TOP 6 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE AND THE BOTTOM SIX. UConn is not breaking into the upper half anytime soon.

The most unsuccessful part of last year was the current junior class. Their progression, outside of Drake and Ronan, was virtually non existent. The biggest question going into the season is what is the junior class bringing to the table.

I will say the 2016-17 season will be their best season for awhile due to the likely departures of Thompson and Letunov. If you follow recruiting at all, all the big time talent has pretty much been scooped up for the foreseeable future. Enjoy this season. It will be awhile until UConn has this talent again on its roster.

Reaction Score
The 2015-16 was not less successful. They hosted a winnable home playoff series in their second season. Did you expect them to jump to 5th in the standings? THERE IS A CHASM THE SIZE OF THE GRAND CANYON BETWEEN THE TOP 6 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE AND THE BOTTOM SIX. UConn is not breaking into the upper half anytime soon.

The most unsuccessful part of last year was the current junior class. Their progression, outside of Drake and Ronan, was virtually non existent. The biggest question going into the season is what is the junior class bringing to the table.

I will say the 2016-17 season will be their best season for awhile due to the likely departures of Thompson and Letunov. If you follow recruiting at all, all the big time talent has pretty much been scooped up for the foreseeable future. Enjoy this season. It will be awhile until UConn has this talent again on its roster.
Reality speaks!!! Thanks @mac2351. @TheDoggPound it will be a LONG time for them to bring that talent in again if they don't get something done in campus. All things being equal why would a kid want to come to UConn and play all their home games in a dumpy AHL arena when they can play them at a place like Agganis?

Reaction Score
You grow the program by purposely shrinking your audience?

You don't grow the program by hiding the team away in Hartford away from their student peers. If they experience UConn hockey as students, I would think they might want to see the team after they graduate as well.

Reaction Score
You don't grow the program by hiding the team away in Hartford away from their student peers. If they experience UConn hockey as students, I would think they might want to see the team after they graduate as well.

Of the top 25 teams in D1 hockey in terms of attendance, only 5 do not play in an on-campus arena - 34 U Nebraska -Omaha (2 miles), #5 UMinn- Duluth (4 miles), #6 Colorado College (6 miles away), #12 UConn (26 miles away), and #22 Minnesota St (3 miles away).

Statistics

Of the 5 schools, 4 of them play in arenas that are located in the same city as the sponsoring university, just typically downtown as part of entertainment complex (UMD, Minn St) or in a nearby development that has land and highway access (UNO & CC). UConn in the only program whose home rink is a a different down. If a UConn type of arrangement was so viable, I would think more programs would do the same. RIT could play at Blue Cross in downtown (home of an AHL team) or Maine could play in Bangor at the Cross Insurance arena, both fo which are a lot closer to campus that XL is to Storrs. Butt, they don't

Reaction Score
So to distill this discussion it comes down to a debate whether or not a new on campus building which will host maybe 6 games a year is necessary to keep pace or move up on the recruiting food chain.

So is UMass Amherst a comparable? They play ALL their home games on campus. They have had several highly regarded coaches of varying pholosophies. Has the Mullins Center enabled UMass to get to the next level? For a very brief period over a time scale of 20 years I suppose. But then we get into a discussion of "because of or in spite of".

Somehow to me the argument of recruiting necessity really doesn't hold water. But that is only my gut feel. Reasonable folks can differ on the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom