UConn Hockey Opening Weekend v. #7 UMass (Friday 11/20 @ UMass @ 6p on NESN+ / Saturday 11/21 @ Freitas @ 4p on 97.9 ESPN) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey Opening Weekend v. #7 UMass (Friday 11/20 @ UMass @ 6p on NESN+ / Saturday 11/21 @ Freitas @ 4p on 97.9 ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And I think the game is over? Footage has been mostly off since the waved off goal.

Reaction Score
I have to say I'm not a huge fan of 3-on-3 OT. Just doesn't seem like real hockey to me (nor does the shootout which is next).
However if we win the shootout I will love it

Reaction Score
So if this counts - or when they do eventually count as conference games - does the team that loses the shootout still get a point?

Reaction Score
So if this counts - or when they do eventually count as conference games - does the team that loses the shootout still get a point?

According to Bob Joyce on the radio feed, the losing team in overtime still gets a point.

Reaction Score
Didn't know about these new OT rules. Gotta prepare some kids for the NHL, I suppose.

Reaction Score

>>Up next -> Assuming all goes according to plan (a big assumption in these times), UConn will host the Maine Black Bears for two games at Freitas Ice Forum next weekend. Maine did not play this weekend due to school COVID protocols, which is what allowed the Huskies to face UMass.<<

Reaction Score
Didn't know about these new OT rules. Gotta prepare some kids for the NHL, I suppose.

In general I don't like OT rules that change the way the game is played in regulation. To me it is a mockery of the game. That would certainly include 3 on 3 hockey. This season Major League Baseball partly in response to the pandemic made their own change when a game goes into extra innings by placing a runner at 2B at the beginning of each half inning. However, this rule has been in effect in the New York Penn League for a couple of seasons before the pandemic, and my wife and I (we have had season tickets to the team in Norwich) despised this alteration to the game. My wife would send out angry tweets about it any time a game she was attending ended up going to extra innings.

Reaction Score
Agreed. If they want to open the ice a bit more in OT to avoid ties, go 4 on 4. It's a lot more like real hockey than 3 on 3 is.
I don't mean to keep harping on Ishkakov being gone but he would have been a monster with these 3 on 3 rules. Damn covid.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
They went 3 on 3...hung on and won a game in a shootout. To me that’s way better than a tie, regardless of the rules. It was exciting.

Reaction Score
Great to win a conference game that wasnt a conference game but might be one at a later date. Did I get that right?

Reaction Score
Great to win a conference game that wasnt a conference game but might be one at a later date. Did I get that right?

Yes you did. It all depends on whether UConn and UMass play again later in the season. With a set up like that, it is going to be for the Hockey East standings to show anything of value in the early part of the season, as league results could be altered if opponents play each other later in the season again.

Reaction Score
For CONFERENCE games:

Three points will be awarded to any team that wins a game in regulation. One point will awarded to each team in a game that remains tied at the conclusion of regulation. One additional point will be awarded to the team who wins the 3-on-3 overtime or shootout, giving that team two points total. A team that loses in regulation will receive zero points, while a team that loses in overtime or the shootout will receive one point.

So if the weekend's games are ultimately deemed conference games, UMass will receive four points (a win in regulation plus a shootout loss), UConn two (a loss in regulation plus a shootout win).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom