UCONN...High level talent... | The Boneyard

UCONN...High level talent...

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, they have not been able to recruit size. ONO is developing nicely, but she has had issues with picking up early fouls. Of course, she is invariably pulled early by the Wizard of Green Acres, whose substitution pattern is woefully lacking in imagination. ONO is UCONN'S only player with size, and although AG plays bigger because of her athleticism, offensively she just isn't big enough, or creative enough at this early stage in her development, to make an impact.

UCONN was thoroughly dominated in the paint against Oregon, (yes, OU ran great offense, their guards penetrate and everyone passes well) and, OU is big, athletic, and skilled. For UCONN to compete in WCBB today, they need more size.

Recruiting issue?

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, they have not been able to recruit size. ONO is developing nicely, but she has had issues with picking up early fouls. Of course, she is invariably pulled early by the Wizard of Green Acres, whose substitution pattern is woefully lacking in imagination. ONO is UCONN'S only player with size, and although AG plays bigger because of her athleticism, offensively she just isn't big enough, or creative enough at this early stage in her development, to make an impact.

UCONN was thoroughly dominated in the paint against Oregon, (yes, OU ran great offense, their guards penetrate and everyone passes well) and, OU is big, athletic, and skilled. For UCONN to compete in WCBB today, they need more size.

Recruiting issue?
Sabally isn't just size .. she's a lot more than that, eh?
Besides we have size coming in next year .. and .. the year after .. a moot point...

Reaction Score

Recruiting issue?

Are we really doing this again? :confused:

Reaction Score

Recruiting issue?

I see what you done there in thread title...another name for "bigs". If I'm reading you correctly, based on highlighted sentence, you want to keep ONO in game until she fouls out?

...and here I thought our recruiting issues were fixed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Recruiting issue?
:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sabally isn't just size .. she's a lot more than that, eh?
Besides we have size coming in next year .. and .. the year after .. a moot point...
Did I not state that OU was big, athletic, and skilled. Or do you want me to enumerate a list of specific basketball skills. Looks like deflection to me. Perhaps something UCONN fans prefer not to address.

Reaction Score
I see what you done there in thread title...another name for "bigs". If I'm reading you correctly, based on highlighted sentence, you want to keep ONO in game until she fouls out?

...and here I thought our recruiting issues were fixed.
Yes. Leave her in the game. Let her learn to play with fouls. I'd rather have her play for 25 to 30 minutes on the front end than see her get pulled late in the first quarter and not return until halfway through the third quarter. Particularly when UCONN doesn't have another player over 6'2". Substituting ONO is driven by a dearth of creative thinking, as well as the usual punitive ego-driven nonsense, and the UCONN'S program's inability to recruit more size. And the problem only moderately improves in the near future; a 6'5" freshman helps, but does not resolve this issue.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Recruiting issue?
mememe_e3d8d1eb7124e5c7b167223d7b9eb06e-1.jpg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes. Leave her in the game. Let her learn to play with fouls. I'd rather have her play for 25 to 30 minutes on the front end than see her get pulled late in the first quarter and not return until halfway through the third quarter. Particularly when UCONN doesn't have another player over 6'2". Substituting ONO is driven by a dearth of creative thinking, as well as the usual punitive ego-driven nonsense, and the UCONN'S program's inability to recruit more size. And the problem only moderately improves in the near future; a 6'5" freshman helps, but does not resolve this issue.
And you are entitled to your opinion no matter what others may think of it/them.
Enuff said.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
THANK YOU! That has always been a tiny pet peeve. Just like UT and Tenn. UT is Texas. Tennessee is... that gawd awful orange! LOL
Haha thank you for that as well. I was born and raised (and currently live) in Texas, and both are similarly grating to the soul!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Recruiting issue?

UCONN has plenty of bigs lined up for the next 3 years so the lack of height shouldn't be an issue after this year provided kids develop.

And UCONN recently struggled big time with ONO in the lineup against Tennessee. It wasn't until they sat her in the 2nd half when UCONN went on its big run. Didn't work out as well last night when they pulled her against a much better team but was worth a shot. Hebard was scoring at will against ONO in the first half too so her size wasn't that big of a difference

Reaction Score
THANK YOU! That has always been a tiny pet peeve. Just like UT and Tenn. UT is Texas. Tennessee is... that gawd awful orange! LOL
Yes, Plebe, thank you for the correction. Details are the essence.

Reaction Score
I think that too many people have the feeling that as soon as Geno offers a scholarship that the player breaths a sigh of relief and immediately accepts it. El Wrongo Bongo. We are no living in an era where there is Uconn, Tennessee and, perhaps, Stanford or Southern California. While there is a sharp drop off from the top teams, there are more top teams than ever before in Women's NCAA Basketball. I don't really think it's time to replace Geno and, by the way, he has had restaurants in Ct. for the past ten years and they don't appear to have taken that much of his attention from the team. Oh, and if you are looking for just one person who has set the bar for the rest of these teams, according to the coach of the team that just beat us, it's Geno.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Did you forget 6'3" (per FIBA basketball) Aaliyah Edwards? She, who plays for the Canadian senior national team. Olivia will have an impressive partner in the post come January, 2021. Think Sabally 6'4" and Hebard 6'3". In case you missed this.

Reaction Score
What happened to Uconn recruiting for the post-Stewie era? Did players not want to come? Bad luck? The total lack of anyone with size/weight with the exception of Natalie Butler, who was wasted in my opinion.

Reaction Score

Recruiting issue?

Reaction Score
So sorry to read all the Geno forgot how to recruit, forgot how to substitute, forgot how to coach and the only I coach ever to win the national title 11 times and get to the finals how many. find us a coach who is better, then lets hire him or her. Oh no lets have the fans recruit and coach. Stop it please !

Reaction Score

Recruiting issue?

We lost Boston to SC at the last minute apparently. If you put Boston on this years team, we would have a 3-way battle for the title - UConn, Oregon, & Baylor.

Reaction Score
So sorry to read all the Geno forgot how to recruit, forgot how to substitute, forgot how to coach and the only I coach ever to win the national title 11 times and get to the finals how many. find us a coach who is better, then lets hire him or her. Oh no lets have the fans recruit and coach. Stop it please !

He didn't forget how to recruit, but he did have back-to-back disappointing recruiting classes. He is paying the price this year and possibly next year for the bad current senior and junior classes. It happens.

Reaction Score
Did you forget 6'3" (per FIBA basketball) Aaliyah Edwards? She, who plays for the Canadian senior national team. Olivia will have an impressive partner in the post come January, 2021. Think Sabally 6'4" and Hebard 6'3". In case you missed this.

You are comparing unproven newbies with big, experienced, broadly skilled Oregon players. Sebally and Hebard didn't become who they are 6 months before their freshman year.

UCONN has lost the recruiting battles (ONO can be really good at times despite limited opportunities at UCONN) and will certainly continue the pattern of bleeding talent through transfers. Why?

Despite all the happy talk about future recruits, UCONN may not recover anytime soon; i.e., realistically contest for a National Championship, if that does remain the standard.

Reaction Score
You are comparing unproven newbies with big, experienced, broadly skilled Oregon players. Sebally and Hebard didn't become who they are 6 months before their freshman year.

UCONN has lost the recruiting battles (ONO can be really good at times despite limited opportunities at UCONN) and will certainly continue the pattern of bleeding talent through transfers. Why?

Despite all the happy talk about future recruits, UCONN may not recover anytime soon; i.e., realistically contest for a National Championship, if that does remain the standard.

Let’s not give up just yet. Okay?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UConn has not had an inability to recruit more size. They have had an inability to get size to commit. But that is now a thing of the past. They have highly ranked size committed through the next three years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom