Men - UConn @ Hawai’i University Rainbows (Fri. 3/10/23 @1135p, Sat. 3/11/23 @1135p, Sun. 3/12/23 @705p & Mon (Tues) 3/14/23 @1235a). All times EST/DST | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Hawai’i University Rainbows (Fri. 3/10/23 @1135p, Sat. 3/11/23 @1135p, Sun. 3/12/23 @705p & Mon (Tues) 3/14/23 @1235a). All times EST/DST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good job Bomber and especially Kirby and team. Nice bounce back win. Also great night for Tammaro with 3 hits including his first hit as a Husky

Reaction Score
Thanks Bomber, sounds like the bats were clicking. Still hitting into a lot of DP's but I guess that's contact and better than k's. Sounds like we have a lot of guys who can hit and deserve ABs. Just need to get those walks and HBP under control. That is the one big difference from last year to this year, our lack of control. Nice win.

Reaction Score
If Hawaii actually sacrificed with one on and no one out in the 9th, down 6, no more evidence is needed about the decline of America. Hopefully, he was bunting for a base hit.

The good news is we had a big comeback, got a win and our 7-4 record hasn’t yet killed our season. And that Garbowski hopefully broke out of an awful slump. The bad news is that we’re not going anywhere without much, much better pitching and having a roster of pitchers who can at least throw strikes. Quinn’s issues have to be mental — he had a promising freshman year and he now literally can’t get anyone out or even make them swing the bat.

Reaction Score
If Hawaii actually sacrificed with one on and no one out in the 9th, down 6, no more evidence is needed about the decline of America. Hopefully, he was bunting for a base hit.

The good news is we had a big comeback, got a win and our 7-4 record hasn’t yet killed our season. And that Garbowski hopefully broke out of an awful slump. The bad news is that we’re not going anywhere without much, much better pitching and having a roster of pitchers who can at least throw strikes. Quinn’s issues have to be mental — he had a promising freshman year and he now literally can’t get anyone out or even make them swing the bat.
I was wondering why they bunted in the 9th as well.

As for pitching, too many walks. Quinn's ERA is 243. Kirby and Fogell were the stars of the pitching staff but they each had one walk as well along with 4 and 3 K's.

Reaction Score
@Bomber36, thanks for taking over late in the night! Have to say, after listening to that dreadful 4th inning, I wasn't expecting the big comeback that UConn produced. But as I've said before in the past, UConn baseball always seems to have comebacks in them. Good to see it going on this season as well.

Still have to go back and look at everything that transpired after the 4th inning. Looks like after I went to bed that UConn got very good work out of the bullpen from Fogell and Devin Kirby (nice to know that he was available to pitch). In the last 5 innings, UConn pitching only gave up 2 walks, and that no doubt helped to change the tone of the game.

As for the offense, looks like a major turnaround, as everyone in the lineup made contributions. Chris Jones has been saying during almost every game broadcast that he was expecting that Garbowski would turn things around at the bat, considering he hit well last season, and also since he got to watch him in fall ball. Well, Garbowski finally had a good night at the plate, getting 3 hits and a walk, scoring 2 runs and getting 1 rbi. Now Ryan Hyde needs to get going as well, I expect he will be catching Sears in the game tonight, as he seems to be the personal catcher to Sears at this point in the season.

Also, good to see Padilla starting to produce some after a poor first 3 weekends of the season at the plate.

After not having a good night at the plate in the first game in Hawaii, Paul Tammaro in his second start after sitting on the bench to start the season had a solid night at the plate, coming up with 3 hits, including a double and a homer. Tammaro got 2 starts in a row against lefty starting pitchers. Tammaro also has an excellent defensive reputation as an infielder. When you are a bench player under Coach Penders, you really need to produce when you get an opportunity, and if you keep producing it will lead to more opportunities. I'm sure other bench players will get a chance to play in the coming days, we'll see how they do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The big turning points in the game were the work of Fogell out of the bullpen which gave UConn a chance to win and was pitching with conviction, and the Tammaro homer which gave the dugout a new attitude in the game.

memorable quote "Ray Charles at the plate"

Have to agree about that quote, Smith had a terrible night in that first game of the series. Smith with the leadoff double in this game also helped change the tone for this game as well.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Went to bed when it was 7-3 Hawaii. Great comeback win…we certainly need to pitch better.

I would use midweek games to get Quinn right.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
What I like about these 4 game series is that it semi prepares the team for a regional where you need a staff to get outs.

Reaction Score
The game last night went 3 hours and 50 minutes, had a feeling it was going to be a long one especially after that 4th inning. More kudos for @Bomber36 for lasting it out, especially after having the UConn ice hockey playoff game that was played late yesterday afternoon.

Went to bed when it was 7-3 Hawaii. Great comeback win…we certainly need to pitch better.

I would use midweek games to get Quinn right.

Chris Jones was talking about the strike zone right from the beginning of the game last night.

I get the idea that the UConn coaching staff likes Quinn quite a bit. Suspect he will still get chances to show what he can do, but not necessarily in tight games against quality teams. UConn pitching staff does appear to have quite a bit of depth this season, even with all the walks that have been happening. The weekend starting pitchers from last season really spoiled us in that regard but good, that's for sure.

The season changes a bit this weekend, as UConn will now be playing a games in the midweek from now through the end of April. There will no longer be any long breaks between games, so the team can get into more of a rhythm of playing games more often than not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a situation like that (late in the game, large deficit), the official scorer does not HAVE to credit the hitter with a sacrifice, and probably shouldn't.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The game last night went 3 hours and 50 minutes, had a feeling it was going to be a long one especially after that 4th inning. More kudos for @Bomber36 for lasting it out, especially after having the UConn ice hockey playoff game that was played late yesterday afternoon.
Thanks. CJ made it easy to do and of course the comeback was helpful in keeping my interest level up.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a situation like that (late in the game, large deficit), the official scorer does not HAVE to credit the hitter with a sacrifice, and probably shouldn't.

No, he does not. But if the batter idiotically did give himself up, it's still the right scoring decision. It's not the scorer's responsibility to punish someone for being an idiot.

Reaction Score

Looks like there has been an adjustment time of the game in Connecticut. Apparently Hawaii is a state that does not adjust its clocks at this time of year. Because of the time change in Connecticut, it would seem that the game time in Connecticut is now 7pm. I am guessing that tomorrow's game will not be at 11:30pm, but an hour later at 12:30am due to the time change in Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom