UConn has to fix the playing floor immediately | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn has to fix the playing floor immediately

Reaction Score
Eh the heck with the floors - I'm just hoping they turn the lights back on inside. The Black hole/smokey arena look just sucks the energy out of the TV broadcasts for some reason.
Hey at least it hid the empty seats last season

Reaction Score
Been too busy to read the Boneyard the last few days, but here's a thought on the wet floor.

HVAC people have told me (when we were replacing our units) that if you install a unit too large for normal conditions and/or run the system on too high a fan setting you reduce the units' capacity to remove moisture from the air.

For example, if the unit is too large it will cool down the building so fast the system won't run long enough on very humid days to remove the excess moisture in the air. Also, if you run the units on too high a fan setting to try to cool down the building faster, you'll reduce the temperature but not remove the desired amount of moisture from the air.

They gave compelling reasons to install units with variable speed fans rather than multi-speed fans because they allow more fine tuning of air flow, dehumidification, etc.

So, this COULD have been the scenario at Gampel:
-Energy efficiency software is set to minimize use of the HVAC system during times when the facility is not in use;
-Staff didn't pay attention to the weather conditions and/or change system settings early enough on game night;
-Day of game is warmer and more humid than expected so staff ran the units at higher speed OR the units are of older design and capability and don't have the ability to vary fan speed;
-Result was the building was cooled down enough to be comfortable for the fans but the air retained too much moisture and the excess moisture condensed on the coolest surfaces in the building (like the floor which is always cooler than the walls and ceiling).

Not sure I'm right but it seems plausible.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Congrats Chief, you’ve conned your way into becoming a source for the state’s senior sports columnist. Even I have to tip my cap to that.

This is why the garbage that gets posted on here should be called out. Media members do zero due diligence and take what is written here as gospel.

Reaction Score
This is why the garbage that gets posted on here should be called out. Media members do zero due diligence and take what is written here as gospel.

One Stop Shopping on the Boneyard.

Hopefully you're faulting the media for not speaking with an engineer or HVAC company and not pointing the finger at those who daily provide well researched and thoughtful commentary on the Boneyard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom