UConn Going to Australia for Prized Recruit? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Going to Australia for Prized Recruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yup, not a Naysayer but if UCONN is going to go Australian go big.
Her name is Ezi Magbegor and she was was tournament MVP.
Her name is Eziyoda Magbegor. As good as Yoda was at 900-years old, if we can get her at 18, domination is ours. Geno, "Do or do not, there is no try. may the force be with you."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SMU has three Aussies on their roster, I think. I wonder if they are recruiting these players, as well. You'd think that might give them an upper hand, even given their less-than-stellar status as a program.

Reaction Score
SMU has three Aussies on their roster, I think. I wonder if they are recruiting these players, as well. You'd think that might give them an upper hand, even given their less-than-stellar status as a program.

Horvat mentioned the importance of getting a quality education as one of her main attractions to playing college ball in US................don't know where SMU stacks up against UConn but I know Stanford is going to be a very attractive option for her................

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Gotta get an Aussie commit. I'm a dual citizen of US/AU, and I need an Aussie to back on this team. I'm all in. Come on down kid. Or is that 'up'?
Curious as to the Australian education system - is it set up like the UK where HS students begin to specialize during their last two years and typically do three year college degrees because they arrive already having determined their college major and done a year or more of college level course work? Or is it more like the US with general education continuing into their first years in college?

Reaction Score

There were three, now only two as one of the Froling twins has decided to play in Australia..........their younger brother has also signed to play on the SMU men's team

Keely Froling leaves SMU women’s basketball team

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Curious as to the Australian education system - is it set up like the UK where HS students begin to specialize during their last two years and typically do three year college degrees because they arrive already having determined their college major and done a year or more of college level course work? Or is it more like the US with general education continuing into their first years in college?

Not like England. A little closer to the US model (Australian student development has started to slip along side the US as well unfortunately), except in the transition to University.

It's a four year general studies sort of thing. There isn't even a compulsory math requirement in high school...which is ridiculous. In order to graduate, and pass on to university, kids have to get a HSC (Higher School Certificate) for a numer of subjects. These are tough tests from a competitive and scope standpoint, much moreso than the SAT/ACT. If you want to do well, you really have to prepare.

The result is that only the kids who do really well in their respective subjects are admitted to a specific University course of study. Generally, kids know what program they are going to do before enrolling (their HSCs determine it). So, if you don't do well on the math HSC, you'll never get into a University Actuarial course of study, for example.

The end result is that less kids go to University, and those that do, are much more ready/focused on what they are trying to do than in the US (where kids just show up at college...because). I think this also leads graduates of Aussie Unis to be better prepared for the real world afterwards. I was shocked at watching some of the recent grads come through and being almost 'plug and play' in the working world.

Part of the reason for this is that Australia has a much higher emphasis on sending kids to TAFE (Technical and Further Education) programs. These are tertiary colleges funded by State and Federal govts which offer degrees/certs covering everything under the sun: hospitality, tourism, construction, engineering, secretarial skills, visual arts, computer programming, accounting, marketing/PR , community work...etc. You can get advanced degrees from these colleges or sometimes partial credit towards bachelor degrees from regular Unis.

They are sort of similar to community colleges, but they offer better/broader educational opportunities, and are more respected than what you find in the US. The trades in general are more emphasized over there. Australians put far more kids into vocational training than just sending them off to Uni to get some general 'Australian Studies' degree.

Ultimately, this yields to a higher quality, general level of University education across the board. It's not watered down, so to speak.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Horvat says she has until next May or June to make a decision. I thought the April signing period was the latest you could sign your LOI. Different for international players?
Didn't Shoni Schimmel and Sabrina Ionescu decide/sign in June of their senior years?

Reaction Score
Available minutes are going to be tough to get during the 2017-2018 season. Lots of very good players looking to play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Available minutes are going to be tough to get during the 2017-2018 season. Lots of very good players looking to play.
We are not at critical mass ( minutes issue) yet for the 17-18 season. The UCONN Roster could be as few as 11 if UCONN signs no additions to the class and Butler departs early. I sure hope we get to have this minutes issues thing because that problem would be a nice one to have.

Reaction Score
Didn't Shoni Schimmel and Sabrina Ionescu decide/sign in June of their senior years?

Yes. There is no requirement to sign a LOI before the spring period ends (May 18th this year). A player can commit and a school can agree to give that player a scholarship at any point during the summer. Just can't sign an official LOI at that point. It's very rare but a player theoretically could commit even after the fall semester begins.

Reaction Score
Geno figured it out in 2000. He will figure it out in 2017
I just re-watched the 2000 national title. That was an impressive team. I mean we had 8 solid players... 2 backup good players, and then the rest of the bench....
Sue, Swin, Shea, Sveta, Tamika, Asjha, KJ, Kelly.... back up of Paige and Stacey.... and then we had Marci C and Big Rigs.... I would love to see us at a solid 8-10 player rotation with some good bench support....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The is nothing required about signing an LOI. There are certain advantages to and risks avoided in doing so.

Reaction Score
We are not at critical mass ( minutes issue) yet for the 17-18 season. The UCONN Roster could be as few as 11 if UCONN signs no additions to the class and Butler departs early. I sure hope we get to have this minutes issues thing because that problem would be a nice one to have.

Why would you suggest that Butler might leave early? It's the most critical year of her basketball career. If there's been talk of this, I've somehow missed it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why would you suggest that Butler might leave early? It's the most critical year of her basketball career. If there's been talk of this, I've somehow missed it.
I'm not suggesting that she leave early- just acknowledging the possibility that she can/might. This has been talked about before. Butler is part of the HS class of 2013 that is transferring in record numbers. Almost a year ago when we were projecting 2016-17 roster many of us (including Morgan) thought Morgan would be part of that roster.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno figured it out in 2000. He will figure it out in 2017
Geno can and will figure it out but this is a different generation of players. UCONN has averaged 1 transfer per year for each of the last 4 championship seasons at a time when the roster size was below the maximum and included 2 walkon players.

Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting that she leave early- just acknowledging the possibility that she can/might. This has been talked about before. Butler is part of the HS class of 2013 that is transferring in record numbers. Almost a year ago when we were projecting 2016-17 roster many of us (including Morgan) thought Morgan would be part of that roster.

As of this moment, Butler has zero chance of playing in the WNBA, so leaving early is out of the question. Kia Nurse is much more likely to leave early, given her status as a starter on the Canadian National team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As of this moment, Butler has zero chance of playing in the WNBA, so leaving early is out of the question. Kia Nurse is much more likely to leave early, given her status as a starter on the Canadian National team.
Who said anything about the WNBA? Oh, I forgot the WNBA is the only possible destination for a UCONN college graduate right. Caroline Doty? Heather Buck? Briana Pulido?

Reaction Score
Thanks Charlie---good information!
Aussies, nice people, wear the proper uniforms at the beaches and play some of the best Women's BB on the planet.
Geno should have gotten Foley away from Duke--she beat Uconn in Hartford at the buzzer .
If Horvat comes to UConn she can visit relatives in Rockville, Ct. --I hope she opts for a UConn Education and Geno's guidance to become a world class player..

Reaction Score
The one thing in life that makes sense is ----NEVER SAY NEVER. Many many many on this board probably would have said Kiah Stokes would go in the 2nd or 3rd round. But an enlightened coach saw the value--who know how Butler will respond by being the Lone Big for Uconn (over 6-3).(Stewie played much taller than her 6'4) or what coach will see her value!
As of March 16 I may have agreed with you on Butler. My Opinion, Nurse will graduate.

Reaction Score
Who said anything about the WNBA? Oh, I forgot the WNBA is the only possible destination for a UCONN college graduate right. Caroline Doty? Heather Buck? Briana Pulido?
I didn't know Doty, Buck , Pulido are in the Wnba! Did polly give up on being an MD?
The smart ones go to Europe or China---and those Bucks have nothing to do with Heather (super great kid)

Reaction Score
He better not go after any Aussie transfers or he will have to answer to you know who in blue!:D Darn guy Geno, all he wants to do is win...what's wrong with the man?
AHHH---There in you nailed the difference!

Reaction Score
Don't be so snide. None of those players gave up a year of eligibility to graduate on time. The only reason Butler would leave early would be to play basketball somewhere else,unless you think quitting is a possibility. Now, I'm not interested in debating you, but I also don't appreciate such flippant responses. Let's just leave it at that, and move on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't be so snide. None of those players gave up a year of eligibility to graduate on time. The only reason Butler would leave early would be to play basketball somewhere else, unless you think quitting is a possibility. Now, I'm not interested in debating you, but I also don't appreciate such flippant responses. Let's just leave it at that, and move on.
I wasn't so much being snide or flippant as I was being glib. :cool: Come on lighten up just a little, it is not that serious. Butler could chose to leave because she has completed her degree, that is not quitting it is called graduating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom