UConn @ Georgia State Panthers - Saturday 9/9/23 @Center Parc Stadium @7p on ESPN+ | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Georgia State Panthers - Saturday 9/9/23 @Center Parc Stadium @7p on ESPN+

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Isn't Spectrum in a fight with ESPN and Disney right now?
Yes, and DirecTV is missing local fox and and NBC affiliates, in least in my market. I wonder if this is what the transition to a la carte streaming looks like.

Reaction Score
Yes, and DirecTV is missing local fox and and NBC affiliates, in least in my market. I wonder if this is what the transition to a la carte streaming looks like.
My brother in law called yesterday. He has direct tv and wants NBC and Fox. We told him to go buy a $30 antenna at Walmart. We have one on one of our TVs in Vermont and it works great. The little cheap antennas have come a long way. Definitely buy the bigger better ones though, the $10-$15 ones are smaller and don’t work quite as well.

Reaction Score
Just scrolled through all the upcoming games today on The app for ESPN + bud didn’t see our game. Anyone seeing it on theirs ?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
My brother in law called yesterday. He has direct tv and wants NBC and Fox. We told him to go buy a $30 antenna at Walmart. We have one on one of our TVs in Vermont and it works great. The little cheap antennas have come a long way. Definitely buy the bigger better ones though, the $10-$15 ones are smaller and don’t work quite as well.
DirecTV will give you one for free if you call them

Reaction Score
Ha. From where we are in VT, with the same Direct TV issue, we could put the best TV antenna ever on our roof and it would do nothing. There’s not a TV station broadcasting into the air within 80 miles.

Reaction Score
dear god ESPN+ has been a significant thing for like 6 years now I can't believe sports bars haven't all figured it out yet
Money…they need a commercial account to get the rights to show games on ESPN plus. And it’s not that cheap. When I was younger I had a gig going to bars and narc’ing on them for showing out of network NFL games or illegally using NFL Sunday ticket. Had a list of all the places in the state that had the license to show them. They paid me good money to drive around to bars on a Sunday and drink.

Reaction Score
Money…they need a commercial account to get the rights to show games on ESPN plus. And it’s not that cheap. When I was younger I had a gig going to bars and narc’ing on them for showing out of network NFL games or illegally using NFL Sunday ticket. Had a list of all the places in the state that had the license to show them. They paid me good money to drive around to bars on a Sunday and drink.
Any chance you could forward my resume to that company. I believe I’m highly qualified for that job.

Reaction Score
$50/month, probably more to use on more than like 3 TVs at once so yeah, I suppose so.
I honestly thought it would be a lot more! Never looked it up….NFL rights were thousands depending on your bar size. But I’m sure most bars don’t wanna pay to show lower tier games. Back in the day I’d drive to sliders to watch UConn cause I couldn’t get it at home, can’t remember what network games were on, but I couldn’t get them on comcast. Pre streaming of course. Some weeks you’d show up and would have to ask to get them to put out local football power (LOL) on some corner TV. Most people were there for the bigger games…such disappointment!

Reaction Score
Ha. From where we are in VT, with the same Direct TV issue, we could put the best TV antenna ever on our roof and it would do nothing. There’s not a TV station broadcasting into the air within 80 miles.
Yeah. That’s a problem. We are in Stowe. I think all the Burlington and Montpelier TV stations have a transmitter on Mount Mansfield, which we have a perfect view of. We also had a house mounted large aluminum antenna there at one time. That was tremendous, but it got mangled by falling ice. Maybe, try one of those?

We also have the small antennas in North Florida as we use YouTubeTV there. I like to have over the air for the HD picture for major network football. They work amazing there too but I think we are only like 15 miles to downtown Tallahassee. The lack of mountains probably helps there too.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The Direct TV v Fox thing is killing me. I'm in Colorado and I can't watch the CU v Nebraska game. :(

Reaction Score
Listened to the whole thing. The GAST guy they brought on seems pretty knowledgable. He obviously felt confident in his team.

GAST has a first year DC who installed a completely new scheme. They also lots of a lot of their best players to P5 schools. This explains the many, many miscommunications and breakdowns on defense I saw against Rhode Island. It's highly unlikely these issues will be resolved in one week.

GAST's strength on offense is their running game. Their o-line is their biggest strength, but they also have a very experienced dual threat QB (Grainger, #3) and a workhorse RB (Carroll, #23). The GAST guy said the key to stopping their offense is to stop the run. They use a very similar zone blocking scheme to us and we supposedly have a more experienced defense. They aren't very deep on offense, so they don't sub a lot. If the aforementioned #3 and #23 are having a tough day, then that's it for them. (Everything matches up with what I saw and typed out in a previous post.)

Keys for us:
  • Can we tackle a running QB?
  • Can our offense improve more than their defense needs to improve?
  • Can we stop their run game?
  • Can we get anything out of our passing game?
  • Can we stop with the untimely trick plays?

I have no problem with the gadget plays. 1- Even when they don't work the opponent has to spend practice time preparing for them. 2 - they make the defense think and that can slow them down. 3 - the players like them so they are good for moral. 4 - they set up other plays in the offense. 5 - when they work it can result in a big play and create momentum.

We do not need to stop them. We need to run them correctly.

Reaction Score
Anyone else super nervous about this one?
I wouldn’t say super nervous but definitely a little nervous. I trust in HCJM but we’ve been burned so many times these past years, I don’t wanna see us going 0-2 to start the season. Wouldn’t bode well IMO.

Reaction Score
Biggest concern is that we get into a high scoring shootout type game, not sure we are built for that.
Our defense should be able handle this team. I’ll be completely deflated if GSU goes off on us offensively. At the same time, we should be able to run on them very effectively.

I’m nervous, mostly because I think we should win this game fairly easily. My gut tells me it will be a struggle. I have some real concerns about the play calling and I was a bit disappointed with Fagnano last week. A scrambling QB seems imperative in today’s game. He looked ok, but I’d like more speed and mobility at QB. Hopefully, he comes out strong and puts those concerns to bed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom